Author Topic: (Answered) Camouflage Command Ability - Combat Manual: Mercenaries  (Read 2608 times)

Belrix

• Recruit
  I apologize if this should be in the ask the Writers forum but am asking this as more of an "Am I missing something?" than a "Why is it like this?" inquiry. 
  In the command abilities in the Combat Manual: Mercenaries there is an ability named Camouflage.  This ability provides a Mech with a TMM of +2 when standing still and allows 1/2 of the force to be placed as hidden units regardless of the scenario and this hidden units can be place effectively anywhere.
  This seems overly powerful.  A TMM of +2 is the equivalent of a 6 hex move of 12" in AS which is the same or better than say 90% of all Mechs at a straight line walk with no terrain modifiers to movement. When you factor in terrain to your movement costs it is as good as, if not better than most Mechs in the game.  Apparently this camouflage is so good you can be standing adjacent or in base to base contact with the mech and still have a hard time seeing it.
  All of this is before you factor in the secondary benefit if the hidden units.   (Which conjures to mind an image of a bull hiding behind a daisy). 
  I like the idea that Camouflage could be used to make targets harder to hit but this seems excessive and balance upsetting.  So:
  Am I missing something?

« Last Edit: 10 June 2016, 07:43:56 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Camouflage Command Ability - Combat Manual: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2016, 11:53:27 »
Discussion of rules should go in the general threads.  One person thinks a rule is overpowered isn't going to mean anything.  If there is a more widespread consensus, then we may look at it. 

Minor notes: +2 TMM is 10" or better though, not 12".  Terrain modifiers to movement don't affect TMM.  A 10" Move unit is a TMM of +2 regardless of if it plowed through heavy woods or clear terrain.  It's available move is 10", so it has a TMM of +2.
If it stands still (whether with the Camouflage SCA or not), then it has +0 TMM (or +2 due to Camouflage).  But terrain movement costs don't affect TMM.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets