Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 150560 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #810 on: 28 July 2020, 13:36:10 »
Finished off "The Poppy War" by R.F. Kuang and am now reading its sequel "The Dragon Republic".
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #811 on: 28 July 2020, 13:42:40 »
Reading the Silmarillion, again.  I never tire of the tales of the Elves and the loyal Humans as they struggle against Melkor/Morgoth in ancient fallen Belleriand.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #812 on: 28 July 2020, 17:37:10 »
The TV adaptation is pretty darned good too.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #813 on: 28 July 2020, 18:07:25 »
The TV adaptation is pretty darned good too.

I'll have to look for it!  Thanks for letting me know.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #814 on: 28 July 2020, 19:39:09 »
Amazon Prime, I believe. Highly recommended.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #815 on: 28 July 2020, 19:59:52 »
Excellent!  Because that's the service I have.  I'll look later tonight.  Thank you for clueing me in.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #816 on: 28 July 2020, 21:16:09 »
Reading the Silmarillion, again.  I never tire of the tales of the Elves and the loyal Humans as they struggle against Melkor/Morgoth in ancient fallen Belleriand.

I completely agree.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #817 on: 28 July 2020, 21:17:42 »
Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman, one of the funniest books I ever read, even funnier than Patchett's Discworld works
they did a nice adaptation for tv of the book...it is pretty close to source material...and funny
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #818 on: 28 July 2020, 21:20:43 »
The Gulag Archipelago arrived from Amazon today. I have been wanting to read this. I don't expect it to be pleasant but I think I should read it.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #819 on: 28 July 2020, 22:34:09 »
It won't be.

If you get through that, find "Cancer Ward" by the same author - it's more a classic novel, and there's more enjoyment (and tears) in it. Also "The First Circle".

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #820 on: 29 July 2020, 00:19:07 »
The Gulag Archipelago arrived from Amazon today. I have been wanting to read this. I don't expect it to be pleasant but I think I should read it.
I tried reading this as a teenager and I never finished it for whatever reason.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #821 on: 29 July 2020, 00:22:39 »
I tried reading this as a teenager and I never finished it for whatever reason.

I did the same thing with Crime and Punishment.   Also for whatever reason...  (too depressing)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #822 on: 29 July 2020, 01:33:44 »
Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman, one of the funniest books I ever read, even funnier than Patchett's Discworld works
I have very fond memories of the conversation of the angel and the demon while they are totally wasted. A sea full of brains!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #823 on: 29 July 2020, 07:58:33 »
Outcasts of Order by  L. E. Modesitt Jr in fast media paperback.  Yep, i like my books small and printed. ;)
 L. E. Modesitt Jr.'s 20th book in the Saga of the Recluce series, set in timeline before the rise of the White Wizards of Fairhaven.

It's the 2nd book in Mongrel Mage story arc, it's a fantasy setting magic using physics. Its story of mage who forced to leave his home being chased by its power hungery leader, and him again flee from his new home in supposedly neutral land twice.  It's interesting book, it's not as action than the first one, it's more world building showing how world is in this distant time (book series takes place in span of 2000 years, but focus mostly in later part of it, but after completing the end of the Saga,  L. E. Modesitt Jr. is backfilling places he skipped.)  Mongrel Mage arc setting up the time how the old city of Haven became the capital of the White Wizards.  This black mage maybe how it came about.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #824 on: 08 August 2020, 07:18:10 »
Just got a signed copy of "Don't Burn This Book" by Dave Rubin.  Looking forward to reading it over the next couple weeks on my layovers.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #825 on: 12 August 2020, 19:50:06 »
Just had my eyeballs trace over the word shapes on the pages of China Mieville's 2009 novelletic publication, "The City and the City."

Bit of a weird premise: There's a city divided into two halves, a vaguely Slavic/Eastern Orthodox one and vaguely Turkic/Muslim one. Only, through some ancient pact or other (never made clear) the two halves have integrated into their societies the custom of completely and utterly ignoring the other half, effectively pretending it doesn't exist. This is then the background for a murder mystery in which the killer has apparently done the unthinkable and crossed the boundaries between the two halves.

I think the idea is neat, an interesting take on the things we ignore in our daily lives (poverty/street people, etc.) but setting it in an otherwise mundane, ordinary modern world increasingly stretches credulity. Why would the rest of the world allow these evident lunatics to live like this? The murder mystery didn't use the idea very effectively either, I thought, without much of a villain and wrapping the mystery up far too quickly.

So, all right if you like thought experiments, but not so great if you were looking for a good scifi/fantasy thriller or mystery. 
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #826 on: 12 August 2020, 21:18:07 »
sounds like the premise of a star trek TOS episode

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #827 on: 12 August 2020, 21:42:40 »
sounds like the premise of a star trek TOS episode

Good analogy. Yeah, it's very high-concept, to the point that the plot sort of becomes an excuse to talk about the background setting ideas. There's definitely a market for this kind of thing, for example I think "The Three-Body Problem" had similar strengths and weaknesses: some neato SF ideas wrapped in a so-so plot.

With Mieville at least the writing itself is great, it's just the detective story/noir mystery itself is a bit ho-hum.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #828 on: 23 August 2020, 01:50:24 »
Franklin Lindsay: Beacons in the Night
It's good to see outsider's perspective of events I was familiar with.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #829 on: 23 August 2020, 16:43:36 »
Spear of the Emperor by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

One of better 40k novels about Space Marines. This is because author knows how to make Space Marines seem like actual people instead of caricatures. It follows Primaris Space Marines from Emperor's Spear chapter (successor chapter of the Ultramarines) in they war against Chaos Demons.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #830 on: 23 August 2020, 17:37:55 »
Divided We Fall with Honor's Gauntlet to follow.

Also reading Graham Allison's Destined For War Can America and China Escape Thucydides's Trap? and Guy Windsor's The Fiore Translation Project Part Two Longsword Mechanics.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #831 on: 23 August 2020, 19:46:24 »
Spear of the Emperor by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

One of better 40k novels about Space Marines. This is because author knows how to make Space Marines seem like actual people instead of caricatures. It follows Primaris Space Marines from Emperor's Spear chapter (successor chapter of the Ultramarines) in they war against Chaos Demons.

Could you do me a favour? Which books cover the return of Roboute Guilliam, the rise of Belesarius Cawl, and the re-kick-off of the moving storyline? Would be much appreciated.

Pretty much up to date on the Horus Heresy. Aaron D-B is one of the more reliable authors. About 1/3 of the books are derivative drivel, about 1/3 are competent genre fiction, and about 1/3 are gripping. I missed my stop on the train because I was finishing "The Mark of Calth", that one really got me.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #832 on: 24 August 2020, 06:58:11 »
Those would be Dark Imperium novels (Dark Imperium and Dark Imperium: Plague War) by Guy Haley. Of course a lot happened before those in Gathering Storm source books from 7th edition as Dark Imperium covers events after that.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #833 on: 25 August 2020, 09:17:29 »
Could you do me a favour? Which books cover the return of Roboute Guilliam, the rise of Belesarius Cawl, and the re-kick-off of the moving storyline? Would be much appreciated.

Pretty much up to date on the Horus Heresy. Aaron D-B is one of the more reliable authors. About 1/3 of the books are derivative drivel, about 1/3 are competent genre fiction, and about 1/3 are gripping. I missed my stop on the train because I was finishing "The Mark of Calth", that one really got me.

Do the novels have anything resembling hope or optimism?  From what one friend has told me, some looks at the wiki, and some youtube, the setting is all grimdark, all the time, with an extra help of grimdark on the side. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #834 on: 25 August 2020, 11:15:12 »
Well it's 40k so thigs are always grim dark even when there is little bit what resembles hope after Gulliman returned, took over from highlords of Terra, started Indominus Crusade with his new Primaris Space Marines created by Cawl and has Eldar faction on his side.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #835 on: 25 August 2020, 16:29:27 »
Just finished taking my time reading Bryan Young's Honor's Gauntlet.  A good book, shade shorter than I'd like good novel, but plenty action and unique perspective since the featured person is a moderate (temperament) Jade Falcon.  Small unit (binary) action story, dealing with normal Falcons trying deal with taint of the Mongolized Falcon faction trying pressure normal ones out any way they can.  How stupid the Mongol way is.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2020, 08:43:00 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #836 on: 25 August 2020, 17:54:11 »
 Currently reading Rainbow Brigade by JA Pitts, which I believe was his last novel before his death if I correctly read the info in the back.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #837 on: 26 August 2020, 14:41:34 »
Burned through Pentagon Wars in just under 24 hours.
I was kinda shocked that as satirical and hyperbolic as the movie was, it painted a kinder picture of the Pentagon that the book. :(
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #838 on: 31 August 2020, 12:10:03 »
I did the same thing with Crime and Punishment.   Also for whatever reason...  (too depressing)

I was trying to get through Crime and Punishment, reading 2 pages back and 3 pages forward every once in a while.  Then an exgf stole my copy (i think out of spite) and I never did replace it.  Some day, after working my way through the rest of my shelf.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #839 on: 31 August 2020, 23:12:18 »
X
« Last Edit: 18 September 2020, 19:48:45 by Major Headcase »