Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 150550 times)

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #900 on: 01 December 2020, 04:47:02 »
damn...

You said it, one of my favourite authors. Been years since I've seen a new book from him though.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #901 on: 02 December 2020, 22:40:59 »
Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising. It goes over Thrawn's backstory.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #902 on: 02 December 2020, 23:35:10 »
Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising. It goes over Thrawn's backstory.
zahn or some one else writing?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #903 on: 02 December 2020, 23:51:15 »
Zahn. It's probably in his contract that nobody else can touch Thrawn  xp

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #904 on: 02 December 2020, 23:54:24 »
No one else should touch Thawn.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #905 on: 08 December 2020, 02:36:39 »
Currently reading Icons of War.  Got to love a BattleTech heist novel.  The ultimate heist, really.  So far so good!

A long time ago I predicted the Homies would try to use Aleksandr's DNA to make their own Kerensky bloodlines.  I'm very glad that loophole is now closed.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2020, 19:09:28 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #906 on: 14 December 2020, 00:04:06 »
ok went old school...
arsene lupin
forgot how much i enjoyed when i was 8 over 35 ears back
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #907 on: 14 December 2020, 01:18:05 »
From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back. It's an anthology about background characters in the movie. Like, random rebels on echo base, the wampa, a tauntaun, etc. I'm about 1/3 thru and it's still better than the A New Hope anthology, which isn't saying much. I can only hope there's an Ugnaut story, or a lizard on Dagobah.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #908 on: 16 December 2020, 18:59:23 »
ok finally got my replacements to my cobra series by timothy zhan cant wait

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #909 on: 16 December 2020, 19:29:16 »
Darkness in the Blood by Guy Haley

With new Blood Angels Codex Supplement out I am in mood for some Blood Angels focused stories and this one is right at my ally with main characters being Lord Commander Dante and Chief Librarian Mephiston. Focus of story is of course them trying to desperately find solution of red thirst and black rage that Blood Angels are cursed with.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
« Reply #910 on: 17 December 2020, 20:33:36 »
Currently reading Icons of War.  Got to love a BattleTech heist novel.  The ultimate heist, really.  So far so good!

A long time ago I predicted the Homies would try to use Aleksandr's DNA to make their own Kerensky bloodlines.  I'm very glad that loophole is now closed.

I really enjoyed what Craig did with that story.

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #911 on: 18 December 2020, 13:15:20 »
I recently started rereading the first Man-Kzin Wars novel again. So many sci-fi authors have contributed to those novels over the years and have enjoyed reading them, though I don't remember how far along I was. So many novels in the series...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #912 on: 18 December 2020, 13:17:08 »
There's good, there's bad, then there's great (The Children's Hour). Managed to pick up pretty much the whole lot - up to about XIV - in a second hand book shop a while back.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #913 on: 18 December 2020, 17:00:26 »
i only had been able to get 4 first books of the man kzin wars...loved most of the stories...especially the first story of how bad cats met humans for the first time...lol i felt so sorry for the telepath

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #914 on: 18 December 2020, 18:33:54 »
I really enjoyed what Craig did with that story.

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

I like it too.  He was bold in conceiving and executing his ideas.  We should all be that way when we write, you never know where it will take you. (Or, where it will take us, as it were)
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #915 on: 19 December 2020, 02:47:53 »
No one else should touch Thawn.
Oh don't get me started. I happen to be reading the Thrawn trilogy to my son for bedime story these days.

I wasn't ever as deeply into Star Wars as I was into BattleTech. But for me the Thrawn trilogy was the high water mark for that franchise, before it ebbed with the world-building snafus and pedestrian narrative of the prequels and was then shattered beyond repair with the Legends being cut from canon. Thrawn, as a character, was a villain worthy of, and on eye level with, Vader and the Emperor. Being shoehorned into the Rebels cartoon with sub-standard writing compared to the original character took so much out of that great, carefully crafted character, to the point where I simply walked away. Name-dropping in the Mandalorian can only twist the knife here. (I believe I don't hate the new Star Wars. Rogue One was the second-best Star Wars movie ever after ESB, and The Mandalorian is mostly enjoyable. But as universe building goes, my rose-tinted childhood love for SW got snuffed out over the last 20 years. Which was probably good for BattleTech.  ;) )
« Last Edit: 19 December 2020, 02:50:10 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #916 on: 19 December 2020, 13:09:25 »
wonder what would zhan do to battletech? i mean thrawn took star wars book out of the slump and i still enjoy heir to the empire today

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #917 on: 21 December 2020, 19:55:31 »
ok went back looked through some old boxes and rediscovered my stanslaw lem collection  first book i grabbed cyberiad and robotic salies both in polish...lets see how much i remember how to read and comprehend of it.....still artwork in cyberiad if you are fortunate to find it with artwork is sureal

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #918 on: 22 December 2020, 11:01:23 »
Just finished the Poppy War series (The Poppy War, The Dragon Republic, The Burning God) by R.F. Kuang a week ago. Very well written, compelling characters, would recommend.

Now reading the Legend of Galactic Heroes (all ten volumes) by Yoshiki Tanaka. Old school space opera. A little heavy on the numbers (ships, personnel, galactic population) but thankfully the story shines through. I had watched the old anime, and what there is of the new anime, then realized I'd never read the books. So I'm now correcting that.

Shrapnel #3 is next. Hopefully all that will see me through to the turn of the year and the release of Hour of the Wolf.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

battleman033

• Recruit
  • Just a normal guy from Germany.
« Reply #919 on: 22 December 2020, 19:39:08 »
Freakonomics - various economic theories applied beautifully in diverse subjects (re-read, first time was a speed read now detailing)
Battling is a form of art.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #920 on: 22 December 2020, 20:08:08 »
That's certainly an interesting read, but one to be cautious over.  The author tries claim a much stronger relationship between various situations than is actually borne out by the evidence.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #921 on: 22 December 2020, 20:09:28 »
That's certainly an interesting read, but one to be cautious over.  The author tries claim a much stronger relationship between various situations than is actually borne out by the evidence.

QFT.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #922 on: 25 December 2020, 01:21:33 »
ok i think i may have come across very first story that describes nanotech cyberiad by stanislaw lem
there is a story a the second sally where the constructors klapacius and trurl create a creature for king krool to hunt. and the way it works and way it reacts when confronted with weapons as well as other things it does through out the story cannot be anything than nanotech. keep in mind the story originally had been written in mid 60s when even word nanomite or nanotech ninite had not existed at least not with same meaning they have today. also the stories in cyberiad are about robots and so no magic is involved.
anything earlier that comes close to describing nanotech than this story?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #923 on: 25 December 2020, 06:22:31 »
Finished Children of Kerensky yesterday. Just in time to be able to start the rest of the BTech PoD novels I’m getting for Christmas today.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #924 on: 25 December 2020, 13:13:11 »
I received two books today which I very much looking forward to reading: Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfisher and Supreme Commander by Seymour Morris Jr.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #925 on: 26 December 2020, 08:53:39 »
I got the book "I'm No Hero" by Charlie Plumb for Christmas.  I've wanted to read it for a while, but I don't know if I can handle a book about being a POW at this time.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #926 on: 26 December 2020, 09:02:34 »
I just started Katie Mack's "The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking)".  It looks to be quite good!  :thumbsup:

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #927 on: 26 December 2020, 12:16:20 »
I received two books today which I very much looking forward to reading: Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfisher ...

Hornfischer's books are so good to read. There is no better description of the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal I have found than what you are about to read. Positively nail biting.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #928 on: 26 December 2020, 22:42:33 »
Currently reading through "The Boats of the "Glen Carrig"" by William Hope Hodgson. It's a highly enjoyable read, I'll have to check out some of his other works now.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #929 on: 27 December 2020, 19:58:10 »
Vietnam an Epic Tragedy by Max Hastings.

The Last NARC by Hector Berrellez.