Author Topic: New recommendation for stripping: Citristrip  (Read 2227 times)

abou

• Captain
New recommendation for stripping: Citristrip
« on: 08 July 2016, 15:40:14 »
I've been using Citristrip for various projects around the house. After struggling with acetone and other methods, I remembered that I had a jug of this stuff hanging around.

The nice thing about Citristrip is that it is relatively pleasant to work with and low in volatile organic compounds. The gel action means that it will stay on the miniature to remove the paint. Clean up is with soap and water or odorless mineral spirits/white spirits. And it can be used indoors with moderate ventilation.

There are more powerful strippers on the market. However, many of those contain compounds such as methyl ethyl ketones (MEKs). MEKs are super powerful and work great, but they are incredibly caustic and have a nasty side effect that if you inhale too many vapors it kind of totally stops your heart.

My experimentation with Citristrip on a miniature has worked very well so far. It has taken much less effort to remove paint from crevices and details compared to other methods. I suggest giving it a go.

Also, I don't advice using it if you have ants. They really enjoy the orange creamsicle-like smell.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Re: New recommendation for stripping: Citristrip
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2016, 16:13:37 »
Do you know if Citristrip can be safely used with plastic miniatures?

abou

• Captain
Re: New recommendation for stripping: Citristrip
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2016, 16:26:25 »
That I do not know. I might have some plastic lying around that I can test, but considering that it is claimed to be capable of removing polyurethane, it probably is not safe for plastics.