Author Topic: ComStar Level I Field Artillery  (Read 3154 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
ComStar Level I Field Artillery
« on: 21 November 2016, 18:23:48 »
Looking over the Field Artillery rules in TacOps, I came up with this idea for a ComStar Level I.  Fully loaded, the prime mover can only manage 1 MP (which is exactly what Field Artillery are supposed to have), though it would technically qualify for the road bonus on pavement.

Prime Mover: 15 ton wheeled truck (using fractional accounting)
Code: [Select]
I.S.         1.5
Engine         0.5 (25 fusion, 3/5 movement empty)
Shielding 0.25
Control         0.75
Armor        2.5 (10 per facing)
Cargo        9.5
Total        15.0

2 Light Exoskeletons (Chassis and 60kg of Cargo Lifters for 1 ton capacity; round to 0.5 ton with pilots)

15 Infantry (Motorized, 3 tons)

Towed Thumper (15 tons)

Leaving 6 tons for ammunition

18 personnel total (1 truck driver, 2 exoskeleton operators, 15 artillery troops)

This would neatly translate to six tubes (a regular battery) for a Level II.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: ComStar Level I Field Artillery
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2016, 21:24:17 »
Great - I now have BT stats for one of these! Care to work on the Long Tom variant? :)

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2016, 21:26:12 »
Wouldn't a Standard TAV work the same?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2016, 21:47:21 »
TT: Maybe, but I was trying to minimize overall weight.  This Level I fits into a 30 ton package.

WT: Very pretty!  I'll try to get something up for the Long Tom tomorrow.  It's a bit trickier with a 30 ton weapon, though the 45 ton truck I use (with the same engine) will probably work.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2016, 07:07:45 »
I always figured the 1MP was for an aux-propelled unit.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2016, 09:57:16 »
Per WorkTroll's request, here's a shot at a Long Tom version.  Depending on how one interprets the cargo carrying rules, this version either moves 1/2 with the infantry driving along beside it and a minimal ammunition load, or just 1 MP (like a Field Artillery unit is supposed to) with a bit more ammunition.

Prime Mover: 45 ton wheeled truck (using fractional accounting)
Code: [Select]
I.S.         4.5
Engine         0.5 (25 fusion, 1/2 movement empty or with 35 tons of cargo)
Shielding 0.25
Control         2.75
Armor        2.5 (10 per facing)
Cargo          35.0
Total        45.0

3 Light Exoskeletons (Chassis and 60kg of Cargo Lifters for 1 ton capacity; rounds to 0.5 ton with pilots and can also move independently; adding 1 ground MP is only 25 kg per suit which continues to come in under half a ton for three).

30 Infantry (Motorized, 6 tons, but can move independently at 3MP)

Towed Long Tom (30 tons)

Kicking the troops and exoskeletons off the truck leaves 5 tons for ammunition at 1/2 speed; overloading by 5 more tons gives 10 tons of ammo and still fits in a light vehicle cubicle, though the infantry and exoskeletons have to be in separate bays.

Kicking the troops and exoskeletons off the truck and overloading it to the maximum extent would give 50 tons of ammunition.

If you assume the "Motorized" part of the infantry requirement is subsumed by the prime mover, you can use foot infantry for only 3 tons.  This enables the whole package to move at 1/2 (since 30 + 3 + 1 ton of ammo + 0.5 ton for the exoskeletons is less than the 35 ton capacity of the truck), but requires a continuous resupply of ammunition (J-27s, anyone?).

36 personnel total (3 truck crew, 3 exoskeleton operators, 30 artillery troops).

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2016, 16:30:03 »
Works for me! Thankee muchly O0

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2016, 01:19:40 »
You are very welcome, sir!  O0