Author Topic: something odd happened when playing Mechcommander 2  (Read 3834 times)

catman341

• Recruit
  • Insanity since 1985
something odd happened when playing Mechcommander 2
« on: 15 May 2011, 20:47:04 »
I was running through the Mission where you are supposed to salvage all the Davion Mechs well I had completed all objectives including bonuses but one........ Extract
all my mechs were heavily damaged No one had two legs. I tell them to go to a point and they tried to run through a minefield. Well for those of us who played this before knows theres A Highlander and a Bushwacker sitting at the end right at the Extraction Zone. So I engage and he wipes me out and all mechs down we all know is mission but this is the odd part instead of Mission Failed I got Mission Success odd considering everything I owned had died.  Then again maybe ejecting out of your mech qualifies as Extracting?   

Anyone else have them happen to them?  Or did I just discover a glitch?
Cougar Battlemech-1,900,000 C-bills
6 er lasers 2 srm 2's engine upgrade and jumpjets  - 500,000 C-bills
Solaris Championship Entry fees- 400,000 C-bills
Being the only mech left out of two Dire Wolves due to not having to rely on Ammo- Priceless

Hey why is it getting hot and why am I in a handbasket

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: something odd happened when playing Mechcommander 2
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2011, 21:14:48 »
I was running through the Mission where you are supposed to salvage all the Davion Mechs well I had completed all objectives including bonuses but one........ Extract
all my mechs were heavily damaged No one had two legs. I tell them to go to a point and they tried to run through a minefield. Well for those of us who played this before knows theres A Highlander and a Bushwacker sitting at the end right at the Extraction Zone. So I engage and he wipes me out and all mechs down we all know is mission but this is the odd part instead of Mission Failed I got Mission Success odd considering everything I owned had died.  Then again maybe ejecting out of your mech qualifies as Extracting?   

Anyone else have them happen to them?  Or did I just discover a glitch?

Glitch, sounds like... I mean, technically the job is to steal the Davion Mechs and make it look like Davion attacked Steiner, so by that viewpoint your accomplished the mission, but since you didn't get away with anything that can't help your cause.

That said, yeah, you can't let your guys get away with wandering through that minefield. Send them around it as much as you possibly can, or force-fire on every damn square to knock out as many mines as you can first if you do send your guys in.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Timerlane

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2011, 22:15:17 »
IIRC, the usable Extract waypoint area there is actually rather large; you often get the completion for that objective before all your Mechs are even in the last 'room' with the marker. Perhaps the last 'Mech alive was close enough to trip the objective, and dying didn't cancel it out.

Go closer to the outside edge of the north and east sides. Except for an obvious super-dense patch up near the NE corner(I used to love dragging the Shootists over there with my scout 'Mech and trick them into killing themselves), it's completely free of mines.

There are also some extra RPs to be found in that mission. There's one obvious resource building on the island just north of your starting position, guarded by a pair of Drillsons. There's a lone RP vehicle northwest of your starting position(covered by a couple of Centipedes), and another in the damaged "middle" Steiner base, just across the river from the Davion base. The two RP vehicles together will let you call in another Repair Truck, without cutting into potential 'Mech salvage RPs.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 02:01:38 »
Yeah, it's a glitch. I remember it happened to me too, and I was pretty surprised.  :)

catman341

• Recruit
  • Insanity since 1985
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2011, 20:41:47 »
Was no where near the extract zone
and yes i normally try to avoid the mines but I wasnt paying to much attention when my mechs ran through a field
Cougar Battlemech-1,900,000 C-bills
6 er lasers 2 srm 2's engine upgrade and jumpjets  - 500,000 C-bills
Solaris Championship Entry fees- 400,000 C-bills
Being the only mech left out of two Dire Wolves due to not having to rely on Ammo- Priceless

Hey why is it getting hot and why am I in a handbasket

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2011, 17:24:01 »
The objective is to get all of your surviving 'Mechs to the extraction zone.

You succeeded. O0

Happened to me on the first mission when I first tried the hardest difficulty. :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Register