Author Topic: How to determine nr of Mechs vs nr of maps?  (Read 3981 times)

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
How to determine nr of Mechs vs nr of maps?
« on: 17 May 2011, 03:11:47 »
As a base rule I usually go for 4 mechs for 1 map. So 4 mechs = 1 map, 6 mechs = 2 maps. 12 mechs = 3 maps for example.
But just like BV and tonnage are anything but absolute balancers it seems that in this regard battletech is once more unbalanced and specific scenario orientated.  I was wondering what reasoning you guys use to determine the number of maps you use?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

NovaCatRistar

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • The Star League will never die !!!
Re: How to determine nr of Mechs vs nr of maps?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2011, 04:41:44 »
Rule of thumb for our group:

1-5 mechs: 2 maps
6-12 mechs: 3 maps
12+ mechs: 4 maps

"If you learn to read, than you will be able to write; and with that all dreams are possible."

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2011, 05:51:16 »
1 Map per 4 mechs in play.    Lance vs Lance  8 Total = 2 Maps.  Company vs Company 24 Total = 6 Maps.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2011, 06:09:56 »
I usually like to play on six maps (2x3) even for lance on lance/star. Faster units need room to maneuver and long range 'Mechs need room to move up, engage, and backpeddle while firing. At the very least I like four maps (2x2) so even if you don't have range you at least have the width to split forces, flank, pincer, etc.

There's simply no room to maneuver on just two maps and therefore fast or long range 'Mechs are at a terrible disadvantage. It would just become an instant slugfest. To me, it would not leave any chance of using strategy or tactics and just be a matter of walking forward and rolling dice.

Maybe in the 3025 era with slower and less accurate 'Mechs two maps would be okay, but for Clan and post-invasion era 'Mechs it seems very restricting.
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2011, 06:17:43 »
I usually like to play on six maps (2x3) even for lance on lance/star. Faster units need room to maneuver and long range 'Mechs need room to move up, engage, and backpeddle while firing. At the very least I like four maps (2x2) so even if you don't have range you at least have the width to split forces, flank, pincer, etc.

There's simply no room to maneuver on just two maps and therefore fast or long range 'Mechs are at a terrible disadvantage. It would just become an instant slugfest. To me, it would not leave any chance of using strategy or tactics and just be a matter of walking forward and rolling dice.

Maybe in the 3025 era with slower and less accurate 'Mechs two maps would be okay, but for Clan and post-invasion era 'Mechs it seems very restricting.

Interesting point. I just play currently in 3025-3050 era so I  may not have noticed much.
Doesn't it on the other hand make it almost impossible for some mechs to get to grips with a foe if you have too many maps? I can see inexperienced players ending frustrated at being unable to do much against a quick force on too many maps. Hypothetically of course, I have no idea if this is true.

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2011, 06:35:57 »
Interesting point. I just play currently in 3025-3050 era so I  may not have noticed much.
Doesn't it on the other hand make it almost impossible for some mechs to get to grips with a foe if you have too many maps? I can see inexperienced players ending frustrated at being unable to do much against a quick force on too many maps. Hypothetically of course, I have no idea if this is true.

I played a game not too long ago where Phell (a player on these forums) flanked me with an Atlas on a six map battlefield, so all 'Mechs should be able to "come to grips", unless that Atlas is chasing light 'Mechs, which should be given room not to "come to grips".

You're definately right about introductory games, though. Showing a newbie how to play definately could be on two maps as they are just learning how to use the 'Mechs themselves so they're not even thinking about flanking maneuvers or anything. New players may find too much room overwhelming or even frustrating ("Can we shoot yet?").

LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2011, 06:59:16 »
I played a game not too long ago where Phell (a player on these forums) flanked me with an Atlas on a six map battlefield, so all 'Mechs should be able to "come to grips", unless that Atlas is chasing light 'Mechs, which should be given room not to "come to grips".

You're definately right about introductory games, though. Showing a newbie how to play definately could be on two maps as they are just learning how to use the 'Mechs themselves so they're not even thinking about flanking maneuvers or anything. New players may find too much room overwhelming or even frustrating ("Can we shoot yet?").

It may be in part due to my lack of experience but games even on 2 maps can be somewhat length. (4 vs 4 mechs even)
Doesn't each extra map potentially lengthen gamelength?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2011, 07:20:04 »
It may be in part due to my lack of experience but games even on 2 maps can be somewhat length. (4 vs 4 mechs even)
Doesn't each extra map potentially lengthen gamelength?

Yes, it definately does but the trade-off is in the ability to divide enemy forces, conduct pincer or flanking maneuvers, and do other tactical stuff not possible if there isn't room to maneuver. In a game against Bren (another player from these forums), Bren attacked an IS force played by my brother and me by having a couple of his Jade Falcons pin us from one direction while others moved around to flank us and then also attack us from another direction. This would not have been possible on two maps. Here's a pic from that battle. The two Ullers pin our forces while the two Hellbringers (represented by Orions) flank around us, denying us the cover we hoped to have.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2011, 08:23:58 »
I get a feeling i'm going to be indecisive at this rate about what to do myself LOL.

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2011, 14:14:00 »
I generally use 2 maps for 1 or 2 units per side, and prefer 4 maps for anything more than that.  I don't like playing at the company vs. company level, so I haven't found the need for more than 4 maps.

Spartan117

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2011, 15:21:33 »
I always use 6 mapsheets are more for my games.  Adds a different dynamic to the game and allows for more maneuvering

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2011, 08:42:45 »
Yes, it definately does but the trade-off is in the ability to divide enemy forces, conduct pincer or flanking maneuvers, and do other tactical stuff not possible if there isn't room to maneuver. In a game against Bren (another player from these forums), Bren attacked an IS force played by my brother and me by having a couple of his Jade Falcons pin us from one direction while others moved around to flank us and then also attack us from another direction. This would not have been possible on two maps. Here's a pic from that battle. The two Ullers pin our forces while the two Hellbringers (represented by Orions) flank around us, denying us the cover we hoped to have.

You can use the off map movement rules to represent this without adding more maps.  I have been toying with using the rolling maps rules to allow this as well, it seems to add infinite maps for this one so long term strategies might work better, but it will take much longer as well.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2011, 12:33:31 »
I have always played on a minimum 2x2 grid, anything else is just too small.  I'd probably add another map both vertically and horizontally per each additional lance/star.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2011, 14:08:09 »

In some wargames, yes.... but in battletech, no.
Since all of the armies on the field are using the same weapons, in order to fire, the fast unit had to move to a position where it can be fired at.

At least, this has been my experience.....

The games I've always hated are those that use the canyon map set.... expending 16 - 20 MP's to get 5 to 6 hexes of distance always annoys me.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2011, 22:48:13 »

The games I've always hated are those that use the canyon map set.... expending 16 - 20 MP's to get 5 to 6 hexes of distance always annoys me.

Nahuris

Great place to ambush an enemy in a campaign game though.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2011, 23:04:06 »
As a base rule I usually go for 4 mechs for 1 map. 
That is what is suggested in TW so you are right on there.

I was wondering what reasoning you guys use to determine the number of maps you use?
I start with the TW recommendation of 1 per 4.  That of course is assuming a pair of medium/heavy mechs/tanks.

I will modify that figure based on tech, terrain, and even units involved.

1.  For a Clan or IS L2 tech I normally add another map in 1 or 2 directions.  (Turning 1x2 into 2x2 or 1x3 or a 2x2 into 2x3 or 3x3)

2.  For a pancake map you might want more maps to run around, but, if your playing on mostly forests & hills then you don't need 6+ maps, because most combat in that terrain will end up at close range anyway.

3.  Units involved can also change things, an assault slugfest won't use up a lot of space flanking, nor will an urban battle of Demolishers & Infantry.
That said, a pair of Mixed Companies going at it w/ Mechs, Vtols & Hovers might find even the base 6 maps to be restrictive to really get in good flanking maneuvers.

I would add that the single largest mapsheet I've ever used was 12 arranged 3 wide by 4 long, and that now days we rarely use maps but the felt mat we use is about 2 maps long by 1.5 maps wide IIRC.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2011, 13:14:29 »
Great place to ambush an enemy in a campaign game though.

Our campaigns always involved trying to cross those canyons while under LRM attack w/ VTOL spotters..... And the one time we tried to set up an ambush, our enemy mysteriously knew it, and avoided that area.... instead hitting somewhere else.

Then again, our GM for that period was anything but neutral.... he played to win, and used any knowledge, special rule, or information that the enemy had no way of knowing, whenever he felt like it.

It was the main reason that the rest of us starting buying the books ----- once we had them, we played our own games without the guy.

Nahuris

"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Register