Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 138912 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #360 on: 01 February 2021, 10:53:47 »
OK, let's start a little discussion. You k ow, get the old brain cells working. It's the placement trials for the Invasion of the Inner Sphere and the first round the Blood Spirits beat the Burrocks, and the second round the Blood Spirits historically lose to the Nova Cats. But what if the Spirits won? And when Ulric called up reinforcements the Spirits joined the Smoke Jaguars in there invasion corridor? Think the Blood Spirits would have made a better go of it than the Nova Cats did?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #361 on: 01 February 2021, 11:01:07 »
OK, let's start a little discussion. You k ow, get the old brain cells working. It's the placement trials for the Invasion of the Inner Sphere and the first round the Blood Spirits beat the Burrocks, and the second round the Blood Spirits historically lose to the Nova Cats. But what if the Spirits won? And when Ulric called up reinforcements the Spirits joined the Smoke Jaguars in there invasion corridor? Think the Blood Spirits would have made a better go of it than the Nova Cats did?

Any one would have worked better with the jags than the Nova Cats! The spirits would have had some very interesting pros and cons such as:

Pro: much larger touman than known. Their ground arm had been built in secret for decades so they could have covered “ a lot of ground”

Con: small navy. This may not have been a huge issue at first but once the logistical line got longer their navy would be overwhelmed

Pro: defense mindset the spirits would have been ideal garrison troops in some ways as nearly their entire touman had been fighting defense for years

Con: see above

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #362 on: 01 February 2021, 12:12:21 »
Any one would have worked better with the jags than the Nova Cats! The spirits would have had some very interesting pros and cons such as:

Pro: much larger touman than known. Their ground arm had been built in secret for decades so they could have covered “ a lot of ground”

Con: small navy. This may not have been a huge issue at first but once the logistical line got longer their navy would be overwhelmed

Pro: defense mindset the spirits would have been ideal garrison troops in some ways as nearly their entire touman had been fighting defense for years

Con: see above

Oh definitely. The Spirits had five extra Galaxy's that they would have lost fighting the Burrocks less than a decade later. But the only issue I really see is the Jaguars would have probably been just as hostile to needing help as they were with the Nova Cats. And the Blood Spirits couldn't have taken the losses the Nova Cats did at Luthien as well. The other part is the Blood Spirits would have probably made a far better job at using captured wargear to strengthen there forces. The question would be would the Blood Spirits, knowing there small size and supply line issues looked into moving wholesale into the Inner Sphere?

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #363 on: 01 February 2021, 12:32:08 »
They would probably move to the Inner Sphere and depending how they treated the conquered might have been more well received than the Smoke Jaguars.  It would also have been interesting to see how they interacted with the Draconis Combine, government to government.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #364 on: 01 February 2021, 12:50:17 »
Let's presume by skill alone that the Blood Spirits become one of Reserve Clans, and is activated by Ilkhan Ulric Kerensky to reinforce the Smoke Jaguar corridor. The Blood Spirits Touman is purely average in size and capability compared to the other Invaders, and while it's warship fleet is small, that really won't figure into things. The big problem for the Blood Spirits is they have absolutely nothing in reserve. They strained every bone, muscle and sinew to get the their strength to where it would be at that time. They might have some flex for the break in period by drawing upon what little fat they have in retirees, recruits and hastily slapped together militia that were made official by letting them defeat a one-armed warrior in a melee but outside of that? They got nothin'.

The Smoke Jaguar/Nova Cat corridors was always a different dynamic that Jade Falcon/Steel Viper/Wolf/Ghost Bear corridors, despite their adversarial nature because they worked together on occasion culminating in the glorious Battle of Luthien. If things followed this course, two Blood Spirit Galaxies would have been mauled instead of the Nova Cats. So the Blood Spirits rebuild with what little they got, move some Clusters around and next comes Tukayyid. I hope you have black armbands handy because it will be at Tukayyid that the Blood Spirits are crushed. Losing the majority of at least two more Galaxies. It is at this point things will start looking really grim for the Blood Spirits.

There's absolutely no way for them to stay in the Inner Sphere at this point. Their losses would be staggering for a Clan of their size to deal with. I doubt Khan Schmitt would survive one or the other encounter but even presuming she did, I can't see things ending well for her. The Clan would withdraw from the IS, cursing the rest of the Clans and being their usual bitter selves. There would be one bright spot in this. Like the Steel Vipers did later, the Blood Spirits would be shipping everything it can fill it's holds with back to the Homeworlds to rebuild. This bounty would probably let it survive but they'd be in no shape at all to challenge the Star Adders during the Burrock absorption. They'd curl up and go back to the isolation and things would probably become pretty dark from there.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #365 on: 01 February 2021, 13:23:17 »
Let's presume by skill alone that the Blood Spirits become one of Reserve Clans, and is activated by Ilkhan Ulric Kerensky to reinforce the Smoke Jaguar corridor. The Blood Spirits Touman is purely average in size and capability compared to the other Invaders, and while it's warship fleet is small, that really won't figure into things. The big problem for the Blood Spirits is they have absolutely nothing in reserve. They strained every bone, muscle and sinew to get the their strength to where it would be at that time. They might have some flex for the break in period by drawing upon what little fat they have in retirees, recruits and hastily slapped together militia that were made official by letting them defeat a one-armed warrior in a melee but outside of that? They got nothin'.

The Smoke Jaguar/Nova Cat corridors was always a different dynamic that Jade Falcon/Steel Viper/Wolf/Ghost Bear corridors, despite their adversarial nature because they worked together on occasion culminating in the glorious Battle of Luthien. If things followed this course, two Blood Spirit Galaxies would have been mauled instead of the Nova Cats. So the Blood Spirits rebuild with what little they got, move some Clusters around and next comes Tukayyid. I hope you have black armbands handy because it will be at Tukayyid that the Blood Spirits are crushed. Losing the majority of at least two more Galaxies. It is at this point things will start looking really grim for the Blood Spirits.

There's absolutely no way for them to stay in the Inner Sphere at this point. Their losses would be staggering for a Clan of their size to deal with. I doubt Khan Schmitt would survive one or the other encounter but even presuming she did, I can't see things ending well for her. The Clan would withdraw from the IS, cursing the rest of the Clans and being their usual bitter selves. There would be one bright spot in this. Like the Steel Vipers did later, the Blood Spirits would be shipping everything it can fill it's holds with back to the Homeworlds to rebuild. This bounty would probably let it survive but they'd be in no shape at all to challenge the Star Adders during the Burrock absorption. They'd curl up and go back to the isolation and things would probably become pretty dark from there.

I think this is spot on. Unless the spirits pulled a ghost bear but earlier and worked hard to intergrate the people and infrastructure from day one AND stayed out of intra clan fighting AND bulked up their navy AND Made smart money moves with any IS resources they had gained they simple could not absorb a luthien and or tukkayid sized beating.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #366 on: 01 February 2021, 16:48:34 »
I honestly don't think the Blood Spirits, at that point of time are going to be the ones to win the hearts and minds of anyone in the Inner Sphere.

The Blood Spirits are pretty much the sterling result of what happens when you're abused from birth, surviving a draconian "training" program that combines Battle Royale, Hunger Games and two back to back combat tours in 'Nam or 'Stan (take your pic) THEN while planning for D-Day to Liberate Europe, you spend the time in-between fighting constant skirmishes and brush wars from Finland to Honduras. Like literally, that is the Clan way of life! Imagine then, you're the friendly slow kid who gave everyone (boys and girls) Valentine's Day cards coz you're just being friendly and the class bullies call you names beat the tar out of you day in and day out until it's all you can do to get away and find a hiding spot. Bitterly rejected, you stop being friendly and withdraw from the world around you, only interacting in the most limited way possible and spend your time at noon hour living in your head, fantasizing about a made up world where everyone is nice to you and agree with you and there's no fighting. To make it even worse, you literally hero worship a guy who's mentality was forged with the EPIC version of what I've written so far PLUS brain damage AND did all sorts of things you look over because HEY, he got us here didn't he?

That my friends, is who you want to invade the Inner Sphere with. That's before we add in most of our arsenal is 300 year old Army Surplus that's already seen heavy use, and the people in charge are neither all that bright or mentally flexible enough to equate using warship bombardments is not how you do crowd control. I'm reminded about how Tanis turned out for the Cloud Cobras... the smallest Touman in Clan space. Tanis, a system with less than 3 million people vs the Cloud Cobras, with approximately 50-60 million people depending on this years enclave holdings. The Tanites did something no Inner Sphere world did. They said no, HELL NO, and stymied a Clan occupation force for many decades with a population 1/100th of the average Inner Sphere world, causing the Cloud Cobras to make a deal for half with the Burrocks.  And you think the Blood Spirits are going to do any better? Uh-uh. No way, no how.

Next reply, I'll give you some ideas on how to turn this really maybe try to turn this around.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2021, 16:50:25 by Terminax »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #367 on: 01 February 2021, 17:10:47 »
I'll go with Yes, they will make a better stand than the Cats.

*Varied touman: while emphasizing mech combat, they are quite heavy in the vehicle and infantry department.

*Better defensively: having to contend with the Burrocks raiding them for a few generations, they get good at expecting the worst from others

*Better BV: won't be as outnumbered due to BV

*Making good use of captured equipment and personnel (I hope!)

*Self-sufficiency in Homeworlds (even then, besides some enclaves ... they have York) ... they bring that focus with them and do  a better job at only holding ground they can, not overreaching

* "cheap/common" weapon systems: Hello Blood Kite! and LRM-15s, SRM-4s, ER LL

* Once they get zoinked (what does that even mean?) over on zellbrigen, they refuse it against IS.

*They still loose at Luthien, but survive largely intact and inflict even more damage (because author fiat and plot/fanboy armor!)

*Get at least a draw at tukayid, being better versed at combined arms

"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #368 on: 01 February 2021, 17:12:01 »
I honestly don't think the Blood Spirits, at that point of time are going to be the ones to win the hearts and minds of anyone in the Inner Sphere.

The Blood Spirits are pretty much the sterling result of what happens when you're abused from birth, surviving a draconian "training" program that combines Battle Royale, Hunger Games and two back to back combat tours in 'Nam or 'Stan (take your pic) THEN while planning for D-Day to Liberate Europe, you spend the time in-between fighting constant skirmishes and brush wars from Finland to Honduras. Like literally, that is the Clan way of life! Imagine then, you're the friendly slow kid who gave everyone (boys and girls) Valentine's Day cards coz you're just being friendly and the class bullies call you names beat the tar out of you day in and day out until it's all you can do to get away and find a hiding spot. Bitterly rejected, you stop being friendly and withdraw from the world around you, only interacting in the most limited way possible and spend your time at noon hour living in your head, fantasizing about a made up world where everyone is nice to you and agree with you and there's no fighting. To make it even worse, you literally hero worship a guy who's mentality was forged with the EPIC version of what I've written so far PLUS brain damage AND did all sorts of things you look over because HEY, he got us here didn't he?

That my friends, is who you want to invade the Inner Sphere with. That's before we add in most of our arsenal is 300 year old Army Surplus that's already seen heavy use, and the people in charge are neither all that bright or mentally flexible enough to equate using warship bombardments is not how you do crowd control. I'm reminded about how Tanis turned out for the Cloud Cobras... the smallest Touman in Clan space. Tanis, a system with less than 3 million people vs the Cloud Cobras, with approximately 50-60 million people depending on this years enclave holdings. The Tanites did something no Inner Sphere world did. They said no, HELL NO, and stymied a Clan occupation force for many decades with a population 1/100th of the average Inner Sphere world, causing the Cloud Cobras to make a deal for half with the Burrocks.  And you think the Blood Spirits are going to do any better? Uh-uh. No way, no how.

Next reply, I'll give you some ideas on how to turn this really maybe try to turn this around.

I mean no lies detected...! I do agree that the spirits bunker mindset would serve them very poorly in the IS. They really never had to governor a big population and I think would have struggled to do so.

For garrison purposes they could have created a “3rd line” defense force using their large population of wash outs using captured IS salvage and production until they could gear up their clan tech factories

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #369 on: 01 February 2021, 17:14:16 »
I'll go with Yes, they will make a better stand than the Cats.

*Varied touman: while emphasizing mech combat, they are quite heavy in the vehicle and infantry department.

*Better defensively: having to contend with the Burrocks raiding them for a few generations, they get good at expecting the worst from others

*Better BV: won't be as outnumbered due to BV

*Making good use of captured equipment and personnel (I hope!)

*Self-sufficiency in Homeworlds (even then, besides some enclaves ... they have York) ... they bring that focus with them and do  a better job at only holding ground they can, not overreaching

* "cheap/common" weapon systems: Hello Blood Kite! and LRM-15s, SRM-4s, ER LL

* Once they get zoinked (what does that even mean?) over on zellbrigen, they refuse it against IS.

*They still loose at Luthien, but survive largely intact and inflict even more damage (because author fiat and plot/fanboy armor!)

*Get at least a draw at tukayid, being better versed at combined arms

Ok we can all agree that a no holds barred throw down between the blood guard keshik and the dragons claws on luthien would have been amazing!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #370 on: 01 February 2021, 17:18:14 »
oh and no silliness of a DC mech with sword charging a Blood Kite (with 9 weapon systems that have no minimum range btw) and running it through with a sword.  Even clan vehs are dangerous ... sure a Hachiman is only a tank, but with two LRM-20s.

Honestly, I think the one difference would have been some less stereotypical clan superiority blunders (I said less, not 'none' lol)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #371 on: 01 February 2021, 17:24:23 »
Also more fanboy dreams:

They allow the Mandrills to Trial to participate in a limited fashion ... yes, yes, turn the whole affair on its head!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #372 on: 01 February 2021, 17:54:49 »
Also more fanboy dreams:

They allow the Mandrills to Trial to participate in a limited fashion ... yes, yes, turn the whole affair on its head!

May I suggest you take these fun ideas to my “ joint blood spirits and mandrill campaign”thread

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #373 on: 01 February 2021, 18:59:42 »
One thing we are looking at here is the Blood Spirits doing just as well at Luthien and Tukkayid as the Nova Cats did. Honestly I see them doing better at both battles. At Tukayyid the Blood Spirits for one probably would have landed and disembarked from there dropships rather than jumping out! Plus they probably would have fielded far more conventional armor and Elementals than the Nova Cats would have. At Luthien they might have used actual tactics rather than pile into a valley for a free for all!

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #374 on: 01 February 2021, 19:48:10 »
Alright, had to make dinner for the kid.

To make the Blood Spirits work in the IS, or really to advance the Clan at all is to fridge Khan Schmitt and the Loremaster. Schmitt is at best delusional and at worst, incompetent but the one that really screws up the Clan is the Loremaster (his name escapes me atm), and he's the one who convinced Schmitt to jump in against the Burrocks and Star Adders during the Burrock Absorption so he's definitely the enabler of soon to be bad ideas. She's dumb coz she listens to him and he's dumber because well, he killed his Clan in the end.

So assuming you have someone less to jump into doing stupid things, we're off to a much better start already. The other is to accept that there is no chance at all of your Clan becoming the IlClan so don't stick you neck out and to do stupid things to achieve that. Essentially the Blood Spirits have to make the decision that the Ghost Bears did and aim for what's achievable and not what is a fairy tale. And that's going to be really hard for the Blood Spirits because as a Clan, they have these blinders to what the reality is compared to what they want it to be but, with a sure hand they could avoid that pitfall for the most part.

I firmly dispute any chance, at least until after Tukayyid that the Blood Spirits would do any better than the Nova Cats. Nova Cats had a much larger, and better equipped Touman. The Blood Spirits aren't total garbage but they're overall allot less flexible and allot more parity with IS forces. Yes they have tanks, but most of what they have are not GOOD tanks and have nowhere near the industrial capacity bigger Clans have. They are truly Clan second fiddle out of the Invaders. So they're not going to take as much territory so what they do take is firmly held. Don't mistake their "bigger" Clusters or their greater number of them as being good - they're okay, but the vees are no replacement for the mechs other Clans use, at least with the way they use them. They're going to a thinner ribbon, more in the style of the original Ghost Bear corridor than the broad corridors of the Wolves or Smoke Jaguars. They're also going to have different disputes with the Smoke Jaguars than the Nova Cats did amd I'm not sure the Blood Spirits could deal with those challenges easily.

As to inviting the Fire Mandrills along, that carries allot of risk. You'd have to do it in the style Vlad did with the Hell's Horses to make it feasible and not show that you're weak. Remember the Invader-Homeworld Clan dynamic means the Invaders basically have hold themselves aloof from the Homeworlders who end up resenting the hell out of it. The Fire Mandrills other problem is well... they're Fire Mandrills and basically you're trying to herd a very dysfunctional Clan into an already pressure cooker of environment. No Telling what those guys will do!  I honestly think the Blood Spirits are in a hell of a spot as an Invader clan. There are better pairings and partnerships to be had than the Fire Mandrills.

Lastly, there's the Burrock Absorption. I do not believe it'd go as cheerily as it did in canon between the Burrocks and the Star Adders at the time because the Blood Spirits, no matter how outraged they are, just would not be in a position to interfere and that allowed the two other Clans to focus on the Blood Spirits, shattering them and in a way preserving themselves as by the end of it, they had fought with honor and aligned at least briefly, politically in the aftermath. I think the Star Adders would have had a much tougher row to hoe, maybe not taking as much concentrated damage as they did but spread over the Clan as a whole, leaving them in a longer period of downtime. Maybe the Burrocks prevail and survive but it still leave them unable to bully the Blood Spirits who use this time to build themselves up.

There's more thoughts to be had, but that's for another post.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #375 on: 01 February 2021, 20:26:36 »
Burrock Absorption,

IIRC, the Burrock warriors were basically fighting harvest trials with the Star Adders before the Spirits jumped in. This event is what caused the massive losses for the Burrocks and Adders.

No Blood Spirit attack and you have the Adders much much stronger than canon with the complete Absorption of the Burrock Touman almost intact.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #376 on: 01 February 2021, 20:57:21 »
Without interfering in the Burrock absorption the Blood Spirits have five extra Galaxys they wouldnt have had. Maybe honestly asking if the Spirits getting the Nova Cat spot wasnt the best chance for there survival. Maybe it was to join the Snow Ravens when they left for the Periphery and filled the 'ground strength' the Snow Ravens lacked.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #377 on: 01 February 2021, 21:02:34 »
Without interfering in the Burrock absorption the Blood Spirits have five extra Galaxys they wouldnt have had. Maybe honestly asking if the Spirits getting the Nova Cat spot wasnt the best chance for there survival. Maybe it was to join the Snow Ravens when they left for the Periphery and filled the 'ground strength' the Snow Ravens lacked.
I would love to see the colours of the “Blood Ravens”

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #378 on: 01 February 2021, 22:59:25 »
Probably red and black with some white as a highlight color.
Also, WH40K Blood Ravens say, "Hello".

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #379 on: 02 February 2021, 07:31:50 »
Probably red and black with some white as a highlight color.
Also, WH40K Blood Ravens say, "Hello".

Lol yes!!!

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #380 on: 02 February 2021, 09:22:06 »
There's quite a few possible partnerships in the mix for the Blood Spirits without stretching Clan logic to the breaking point. I'm going to give you the broad outline and then work on a follow up post with the details coz this is going to take me some time.

Partnership A: Fire Mandrills

Partnership B: Snow Ravens

Partnership C: Cloud Cobras

Partnership D: A combination of two or more of A, B and C.

Partnership E: Smoke Jaguars

Partnership F: Hell's Horses

Partnership G: Steel Vipers

Partnership H: Star Adders

Partnership I: A combination of two or more of E, F, G and H

Partnership J: Other Clan possibilities

Partnership M: The Inner Sphere

Partnership N: The second Star League

Partnership O: The Periphery

Partnership P: Exodus II

Partnership Q: Descent into Madness

Feel free to suggest other possibilities in the meantime and I'll get to them eventually.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #381 on: 02 February 2021, 09:26:43 »
Snow Ravens would be the best bet I think. The two Clans would compliment each other. The other advantage is a long term trade relationship as well as the increase if forces would have allowed the Ravens and the Outworlds Alliance to expand back into the territory that havent been in the borders since the star League era.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #382 on: 02 February 2021, 20:55:02 »
I'd scratch G, H, M ... um, because reasons!  >:D

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #383 on: 04 February 2021, 06:29:57 »
I'd scratch G, H, M ... um, because reasons!  >:D

Why not the Steel Vipers? Near as I can tell until the WoR's the two Clans relations were cordial.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #384 on: 04 February 2021, 13:20:51 »
From the Inner Sphere PoV H would be the best choice  ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #385 on: 04 February 2021, 14:37:41 »
Also more fanboy dreams:

They got along very well with the crusader kindraa like my fav KINDRAA Mick Kreese which was aero focused which would have covered a weakness in air and transport coverage. Heck that kindraa had a Potemkin which would have been a great help!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #386 on: 04 February 2021, 17:25:54 »
 Snow Ravens, they at least still had an "ambassador" assigned with them. Before they jumped into the Burrock gig, they had to have had at least 9 good Galaxies with more in reserve since they bid 9 Galaxies for Revival invasion.

So before revival, they don't seem to be that bad off. Maybe smaller than others, maybe resource poor. If the Ravens and Spirits "combined" they would be pretty fearsome.

Only issue I see is the Warden Ravens having issues with Crusader leaning Spirits.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 17:28:45 by 2ndAcr »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #387 on: 04 February 2021, 19:50:38 »
Why not the Steel Vipers? Near as I can tell until the WoR's the two Clans relations were cordial.

Maybe their respective psychoses would balance each other out ... ok CSV is in for me!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #388 on: 04 February 2021, 20:05:05 »
Snow Ravens, they at least still had an "ambassador" assigned with them. Before they jumped into the Burrock gig, they had to have had at least 9 good Galaxies with more in reserve since they bid 9 Galaxies for Revival invasion.

So before revival, they don't seem to be that bad off. Maybe smaller than others, maybe resource poor. If the Ravens and Spirits "combined" they would be pretty fearsome.

Only issue I see is the Warden Ravens having issues with Crusader leaning Spirits.

They were very friendly even on opposite sides of the political spectrum. I think it was that the two Clans had worked together in the past with little issue that they almost trusted each other. Almost. I could see the two Clans working together during a move to the Inner Sphere with the Spirits taking the fore as ground troops while the Ravens handled logistics and force movements. The issue would be how they treated Inner Sphere citizens on arrival that would cause issues.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #389 on: 04 February 2021, 22:01:11 »
 They just need a guiding hand. Bar none, they just need to take some notes from the Ghost Bears, Wolves and Nova Cats.

Even after the Burrock fiasco, the Spirits had roughly 5 Galaxies left, combined with the Ravens limited ground forces, easily 10 Galaxies of ground troops.