Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 140488 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #420 on: 15 March 2021, 13:20:12 »
I see something different. A mixed bag, if you will. One of the biggest problems I've always seen in fan theories is the certainty that while Event A (in this case, the Spirits invading instead of the Cats) may be different in this new timeline, that Events B (Luthien) & C (Tukayyid)will surely happen exactly as they did in the real canon. Maybe, maybe not.

We know the Spirits had excellent relations with their lower castemen, going so far as to arm them to protect the Clan itself. Given the massive overreactions of the Jaguars in canon, there is a strong probablity the former Combine citizens will realize the differences between the two Clans. Cooperation with the Spirits, upon seeing the way the strict but fair Spirits behave towards their own people, bodes better for them than the likes of rebellion and Edo, which would serve as a signal lesson. The already strict lives of the people under the Combine may be blase' to their new master's ways, even though their lives will change in the major sense as Clan government begins to descend around them. Wheedling may become common as the people adjust to the Clan meritocracy and look for advantage. The fact that it won't work will breed some resentment but it's still better than living under Jaguar rule. The people could end up policing themselves to avoid the worst of what Clantech weaponry can do when they try to become uppity.

Militarily, the Spirits are stronger technology wise than any IS House or merc force. Despite so much of their touman being of older tech, it is deadly effective in their expert hands. We see in the canon timeline Spirits destroying seven galaxies of Burrock/Adder troops to the loss of about five of their own. That's a hella showing considering both of those Clans were richer in resources and Clantech than the Spirits. They will stumble as they adjust to the Inner Sphere but will annihilate any irregular opposition just like the Falcons, Wolves, Vipers, etc., did. It's nigh impossible for pistols to beat rifles except in limited scenarios. Once the Spirit leadership has a problem figured out, I can see them doing well against any opposition.

The biggest problem will be the Spirits interClan relations which could threaten to bring everything down to a lower level of success. Once Jag/former Combine citizens see the Spirits treating their new citizens markedly different, the same agitations that have caused the Jaguars problems in the past with lower castemen will surely rise. I think the Spirits will receive support from the Wolves and Bears just to stymy the Jags but it'll cause waves in the water that will distract the BS leadership from more productive work. Of course, prior good relations with the Ravens, Mandrills, and Cobras could ameliorate this somewhat with contracts for resources to those Clans in exchange for logistical support. With the securing of several worlds, the Blood Spirits will have so many resources they won't be able to harness well them without help. As an Invader Clan (and having been the smallest Clan to this point) the Spirits will become very rich for their size and be able to upgrade their entire touman in size and capability within four generations while uplifting its allies as well. This would likely vault them into the top half or even third of the Clans in power rankings and influence. With a few more generations and savvy leaders, the entire Clan could move completely to the Inner Sphere more easily than the Bears did and become as powerful as any of the top Clans. Jealousy will always rise among rivals so this wouldn't be without cost. Anyone in the Homeworlds could attack the Spirits in a sense like Vipers did to the Falcons at the Wars of Reavings' start but the good money will always be on the Burrocks unless the Adders discover the same things they did in canon and Absorb them. But being in the Inner Sphere, I doubt the Spirits will worry too much with their newfound wealth and power. Heck, it may a sort of insouciance they treat the rest of the Homeworld Clans that provokes the Burrocks and/or Adders or Coyotes to attempt to divest them of thier Homeworld assets.

In the end, even with Clan events proceeding as they did in the canon timeline, the Spirits still stand a great chance of coming out on top, better than ever, than they were able to in the Kerensky Cluster.

amirite?

A very interesting take! May I add that I could see a repeat of ancient clan history where former IS citizens would seek to join the spirit OZ causing the jags to lash outb

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #421 on: 15 March 2021, 18:05:24 »
I can see it playing out like that. The Spirits would be a good contender for a 'mirror opposite' to the Warden leaning Ghost Bears. Could you imagine Blood Spirits influencing the former Combine citizens with the Crusader ideal attached to the Blood Spirits sense of family?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #422 on: 15 March 2021, 20:23:08 »
The Draconis Spirits same set up as the Ghost Bear Dominion only with a Kurita, Tetsuhara and other great warrior bloodnames.  The Black Dragons would take offence but it could have been a positive move.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #423 on: 15 March 2021, 20:32:57 »
The Draconis Spirits same set up as the Ghost Bear Dominion only with a Kurita, Tetsuhara and other great warrior bloodnames.  The Black Dragons would take offence but it could have been a positive move.

Or the Black Dragons the the ones the Spirits draw in somehow. Imagine a Ricol bloodname...

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #424 on: 16 March 2021, 15:29:32 »

Holy heck! I never thought of that

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #425 on: 16 March 2021, 16:04:38 »
What if under their clan partnerships someone from the Sainze blood name comes along too? ... if you read the first part of Randall Bill's pdf book (umm, hold on a sec ...), Fall From Glory (honestly, only got thru first several pages, need some dedicated time) The DC officer was taken along as the left system.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #426 on: 16 March 2021, 16:11:26 »
What if under their clan partnerships someone from the Sainze blood name comes along too? ... if you read the first part of Randall Bill's pdf book (umm, hold on a sec ...), Fall From Glory (honestly, only got thru first several pages, need some dedicated time) The DC officer was taken along as the left system.

That wouldnt mean much after four Succession Wars. Most of the Combine wouldnt have heard of Sainze and those that did he would just be a minor footnote in a history book.

Draconis Spirits. I totally love that name.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #427 on: 16 March 2021, 17:55:57 »
Blood Dragons ... y'know for those DC immigrants forming their own cluster or two.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #428 on: 22 March 2021, 20:58:25 »
you know, with a few minor tweaks we could really have changed the course of CBS history ... and broadcast journalism! hah! dad joke.

There are quite a few footnotes of how we just went berserk, like some BS crazy teenager.  BS in the case refers to guano.  I just skimmed thru Sarna and there was an event with the Ghost Bears that could have given quite a boost to the touman. But noooooo, Khan Schmidt simply saw red and attacked.

That event alone, could have netted CBS some mighty fine resources.  Between CBS, CFM, and CIH I think we were all terrified of becoming the next Clan Mongoose. 

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #429 on: 22 March 2021, 21:02:57 »
you know, with a few minor tweaks we could really have changed the course of CBS history ... and broadcast journalism! hah! dad joke.

There are quite a few footnotes of how we just went berserk, like some BS crazy teenager.  BS in the case refers to guano.  I just skimmed thru Sarna and there was an event with the Ghost Bears that could have given quite a boost to the touman. But noooooo, Khan Schmidt simply saw red and attacked.

That event alone, could have netted CBS some mighty fine resources.  Between CBS, CFM, and CIH I think we were all terrified of becoming the next Clan Mongoose.

Two words. Karanna Schmitt. Almost all the Spirits misfortune stem from her bad decisions. She could have been more patient and it would have served the Spirits well but she saw red and attacked.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #430 on: 22 March 2021, 21:14:44 »
Two words. Karanna Schmitt. Almost all the Spirits misfortune stem from her bad decisions. She could have been more patient and it would have served the Spirits well but she saw red and attacked.

I thought the two words were “Burrock Absorption” losing the five Galaxies hurt but it could have developed that the Blood Spirits would be the first to jump ship due to the perceived betrayal.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #431 on: 23 March 2021, 05:26:29 »
I thought the two words were “Burrock Absorption” losing the five Galaxies hurt but it could have developed that the Blood Spirits would be the first to jump ship due to the perceived betrayal.

One of her worst decisions.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #432 on: 23 March 2021, 13:31:39 »
One of her worst decisions.

The lore master at the time pushed her into it and betrayed their own ideals. Meanwhile he also squashed attempts to coalition build with other clans.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #433 on: 23 March 2021, 15:10:37 »

It's somehow ironic that the downfall of the Spirits came from a Khan who allegedly resembeled the founder of the Clan. A founder who espoused teamwork above all else and had managed to end a dispute between the Adders and the Bears during the Arcadia campaign.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #434 on: 23 March 2021, 15:34:03 »
Blood Spirits and Irony go hand-in-hand. 

The two Clans that espoused teamwork, the Spirits and the Adders, should have gotten along great, like old friends.  Then the ill-conceived Burrock Absorption surprise attack happened. 

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #435 on: 24 March 2021, 10:06:05 »
Blood Spirits and Irony go hand-in-hand. 

The two Clans that espoused teamwork, the Spirits and the Adders, should have gotten along great, like old friends.  Then the ill-conceived Burrock Absorption surprise attack happened.

I thought the Spirits already went into half-isolation way before this disastrous decision. If I remember correctly after the Wolverine annihilation they were accused of having Wolverine sympathies (by the Burrocks no less though that would explain why they hate the Burrocks so much)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #436 on: 24 March 2021, 11:03:55 »
I thought the Spirits already went into half-isolation way before this disastrous decision. If I remember correctly after the Wolverine annihilation they were accused of having Wolverine sympathies (by the Burrocks no less though that would explain why they hate the Burrocks so much)

They had been in isolation nursing their grudges and building their strength. The burrock absorption wasted that strength and started new grudges...

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 24 March 2021, 12:41:40 »
It didnt help the competitive spirit of the Clans went against the goal of the Blood Spirits to foster ties among the Clans. It was essentially a impossible task Nicky K set for the Blood Spirits.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #438 on: 24 March 2021, 13:00:44 »
It didnt help the competitive spirit of the Clans went against the goal of the Blood Spirits to foster ties among the Clans. It was essentially a impossible task Nicky K set for the Blood Spirits.

I always wondered about that. The way I see it, it should have worked. From what I got from the older sources and even a bit from Op:Klondike, the competition was supposed to be more of a "Friendly Rivalry" pushing each other to succeed sharing the same type of teamwork that they were supposed to show during Klondike. What I see happened was that Nick underestimated the fractious nature that developed. I firmly believe that if Nick had not set the "Whoever does best gets me" condition, there would have been more coordination and the Spirits would be able to due their job. I am explaining this spoorly, but I think you get my point.

It was impossible, but it should not have been.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #439 on: 24 March 2021, 13:45:53 »
I used to think the Blood Spirits were deliberately set up to fail by Nicky K.  That they were going to be the example Clan for Absorption/Annihilation, except the the Wolverines piped up and became that example, sparing the Blood Spirits.  But Jellico set me straight.  Or I think it was Jellico.  It was one of the writers.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #440 on: 24 March 2021, 15:04:25 »

That one always got to me, but then again I kept trying to look thru that lens with some sort of cooperative competition like utopia.  First the Wolverines were silenced, then the Widow Makers, then the Mongoose ... then the Burrocks were a bunch of jerks.

Well played Kerensky, well played.

I wonder how NK really thought or wanted things to turn out.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 24 March 2021, 20:37:39 »
That one always got to me, but then again I kept trying to look thru that lens with some sort of cooperative competition like utopia.  First the Wolverines were silenced, then the Widow Makers, then the Mongoose ... then the Burrocks were a bunch of jerks.

Well played Kerensky, well played.

I wonder how NK really thought or wanted things to turn out.

Nicky K didn't think much about what would happen after he died. I think he though himself immortal. Or at least would have enough time to iron out the wrinkles in his plan. But Nicky K wasn't a moral man either. After discovering the Widowmakers were the perpetrators of a nuclear attack he still went ahead and allowed the wolverines destruction. He allowed a mini-genocide. He was insane and not a leader as many think he was.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #442 on: 24 March 2021, 21:04:34 »
Is there a correlation with Devlin Stone here? ... "hey, I have this great plan" ... "well, I have the beginning of plan" ... "so what if I don't have any plan, I'm king of the world!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #443 on: 24 March 2021, 21:17:16 »
Is there a correlation with Devlin Stone here? ... "hey, I have this great plan" ... "well, I have the beginning of plan" ... "so what if I don't have any plan, I'm king of the world!"

I am, Devin Stone!

Have I lost my mind?
Can I see or am I blind?
Can I walk at all
Or if I move will I fall?

Heavy boots of lead
Fills my victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Devin Stone lives again

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #444 on: 25 March 2021, 12:14:07 »
Did the Blood Spirit's ever have a dedicated engineer trinary units?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #445 on: 25 March 2021, 14:27:40 »

Engineers are typically Techs and Labor Caste. The Clans barely recognise Artillery. Construction crews barely get a thought!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #446 on: 25 March 2021, 19:05:18 »

dedicated? I really don't think so.  Ad hoc and probably somewhat efficient and effective, they would not be considered legitimate targets imo.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #447 on: 25 March 2021, 23:06:05 »
I know the Spirits were hardline orthodox about Cluster composition (due to Nicholas' decree), but thinking about engineer Trinaries has me thinking about how support units could avoid those restrictions. Would they be attached to Galaxies and be considered exempt from the normal unit structures? Or maybe, as suggested with the engineers, any support units would be non-combatants and therefore not warriors?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #448 on: 25 March 2021, 23:49:42 »
In “Of War and Peace and Cherry Trees,” the Clan commander expressly describes his support train as civilian caste non-combatants, and is shocked and outraged when DCMS forces ambush the convoy and massacre them.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #449 on: 26 March 2021, 08:06:30 »
About the closest Engineers might come to being warriors is being full of Elementals who washed out into the laborer or tech castes. Spirits though did teach there lower castes to fight if needed so I can see them having issued weapons. Machine Guns, man portable small lasers.

Register