Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 138941 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #450 on: 26 March 2021, 15:50:00 »
About the closest Engineers might come to being warriors is being full of Elementals who washed out into the laborer or tech castes. Spirits though did teach there lower castes to fight if needed so I can see them having issued weapons. Machine Guns, man portable small lasers.

Well we kinda did on Haven and Honor.  When the Stone Lions (Coyotes Maybe?) tried to trial for an enclave, we went ballistic and armed the lower caste with Mauser IICs (that may be someone's exaggeration) and swarmed the invaders.  I'd have to reread WoR, but the invaders went back to the homeworlds, told the Adders, then they showed up and just used orbital strikes.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #451 on: 26 March 2021, 16:28:30 »
Well we kinda did on Haven and Honor.  When the Stone Lions (Coyotes Maybe?) tried to trial for an enclave, we went ballistic and armed the lower caste with Mauser IICs (that may be someone's exaggeration) and swarmed the invaders.  I'd have to reread WoR, but the invaders went back to the homeworlds, told the Adders, then they showed up and just used orbital strikes.

Never underestimate human waves of armed civvies with the Mauser IIc!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #452 on: 30 March 2021, 08:56:00 »
Never underestimate human waves of armed civvies with the Mauser IIc!

I just send a MadCat to take care of them. Then it becomes a game of 'Cat and Mauser.

I'll show myself out....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #453 on: 05 April 2021, 04:09:47 »
Just a question: in the Operation Klondike book the short description of the Spirits states that every member of the Spirits gets military ttraining. Does that mean each caste has basic military training (including the freeborns)? Is this like a draft (something the Clans usually don't have) like the Rim Worlds did in preparation for war with the Star League? That would at least explain how the Spiritts can arm their civilians and achieve some form of success. When everyone is at least trained in weapon handling you can at least assemble an organized if green milita.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #454 on: 05 April 2021, 17:21:47 »
Just a question: in the Operation Klondike book the short description of the Spirits states that every member of the Spirits gets military ttraining. Does that mean each caste has basic military training (including the freeborns)? Is this like a draft (something the Clans usually don't have) like the Rim Worlds did in preparation for war with the Star League? That would at least explain how the Spiritts can arm their civilians and achieve some form of success. When everyone is at least trained in weapon handling you can at least assemble an organized if green milita.

Part of each castes training includes familizaration with arms and basic equipment. Probably under the leadership of washed out or downgraded warrior caste. Enough that they should be usable as regular infantry or even using some basic vehicles.

Valaska

• Corporal
« Reply #455 on: 09 April 2021, 21:30:31 »
Blood Spirits were always one of the most alien cultures out there so it tracks a ton of people were like "hey this thing is neat, I want more!" I used to see a lot of people writing Blood Spirit and Cloud Cobra fan fiction, roleplays, etc back in the day. It'd be awesome to get more stories fleshed out in the 3025-3060 eras so we could hear more about Blood Spirit and the other clans.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #456 on: 11 April 2021, 10:53:27 »
Blood Spirits were always one of the most alien cultures out there so it tracks a ton of people were like "hey this thing is neat, I want more!" I used to see a lot of people writing Blood Spirit and Cloud Cobra fan fiction, roleplays, etc back in the day. It'd be awesome to get more stories fleshed out in the 3025-3060 eras so we could hear more about Blood Spirit and the other clans.

Can you point to any particular spirits fan fic to explore?

Valaska

• Corporal
« Reply #457 on: 12 April 2021, 18:20:25 »
Can you point to any particular spirits fan fic to explore?

Oh boy I wish I could but this was 10 maybe 15 years ago my man haha.  Maybe a bit more actually? There were some VERY good ones. The same author did some Cloud Cobra books too, he/she had a real penchant for the more mysterious and alien clans.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #458 on: 13 April 2021, 16:44:49 »
Oh boy I wish I could but this was 10 maybe 15 years ago my man haha.  Maybe a bit more actually? There were some VERY good ones. The same author did some Cloud Cobra books too, he/she had a real penchant for the more mysterious and alien clans.

Dang it that sounds great

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #459 on: 13 April 2021, 16:48:04 »
Blood Spirits really needed some good fiction written for them in universe. We got a few good ones set during Klondike I believe. But a book set during the Burrock Absorbtion or during the War of Reaving would have been great.

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #460 on: 13 April 2021, 20:32:04 »
Blood Spirits really needed some good fiction written for them in universe. We got a few good ones set during Klondike I believe. But a book set during the Burrock Absorbtion or during the War of Reaving would have been great.

Would have been depressing! The Wolverines at least had a solid escape plan. The Blood Spirits never seemed to stop believing in inter-Clan Society or that being right mattered.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #461 on: 14 April 2021, 15:41:39 »
Would have been depressing! The Wolverines at least had a solid escape plan. The Blood Spirits never seemed to stop believing in inter-Clan Society or that being right mattered.

agreed.  It would have been like watching ST Enterprise, cool cast, ok story ... but every story Arc was them barely getting by, only this time the end is the end.

CBS should go the BSG path ... CBS find clues left behind by CW and a ragtag group of Warriors and other castes make their way to find them (and have them not be WoB).  I love that the initials really make this post bizarre.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #462 on: 14 April 2021, 19:52:19 »
I always liked the idea the Blood Spirits had other colonys hidden away. And by the period where the Inner Sphere had lost contact with the Homeworlds the BS's were elsewhere rebuilding for there eventual revenge.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #463 on: 14 April 2021, 19:56:34 »
I always liked the idea the Blood Spirits had other colonys hidden away. And by the period where the Inner Sphere had lost contact with the Homeworlds the BS's were elsewhere rebuilding for there eventual revenge.

Or taking their isolation to a whole new level, either way the legacy of the Blood Spirits does not become a footnote of the Clans.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #464 on: 14 April 2021, 20:00:32 »
I could see that as well. Moving so far out into the Periphery that the Homeworld Clans would never find them while they rebuilt.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #465 on: 15 April 2021, 16:36:03 »
Man, I always feel like I'm late to the party when it comes to liking something.  And I feel like Spirits aren't going to magically pull a Jaguar out of nowhere either.  No point in asking if anyone even survived then.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #466 on: 15 April 2021, 16:38:37 »
The most any annihilated clan can hope for is several bloodnames have a resurgence and somehow get enough firepower together to bring back the name ... like claiming the original VW Bug and the new are really the same car.  They really aren't. (but that new feature of "heat" is very good to have).

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #467 on: 15 April 2021, 20:40:40 »
Dont forget one of the Dark Age novels hinted at Blood Spirits inside the RoTS. And the attackers of the HPG's had a variation of the Blood Spirit logo. So there is some tiny hope.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #468 on: 15 April 2021, 20:47:23 »
Dont forget one of the Dark Age novels hinted at Blood Spirits inside the RoTS. And the attackers of the HPG's had a variation of the Blood Spirit logo. So there is some tiny hope.

Do you remember which book makes the reference?  If you don’t remember I understand.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #469 on: 16 April 2021, 17:49:19 »
Blood Avatar by Ilsa J Bick hinted at the Bood Spirits through a Blood Spirit bloodname. One Sourcebook had Green Ghosts sporting Blood Spirit colors, and honestly I think the Era Digest: Dark Age or Era Report: 3145 as well as one other early novel described the HPG attackers logo which incorporated the Blood Spirit logo into the design. Something like 'The sole piece of identifying information was a strange insignia worn by some of the attackers: a snake coiled around a sword and set against a blood-red disk'
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 17:52:24 by Stormlion1 »

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #470 on: 16 April 2021, 21:17:06 »
Blood Avatar by Ilsa J Bick hinted at the Bood Spirits through a Blood Spirit bloodname. One Sourcebook had Green Ghosts sporting Blood Spirit colors, and honestly I think the Era Digest: Dark Age or Era Report: 3145 as well as one other early novel described the HPG attackers logo which incorporated the Blood Spirit logo into the design. Something like 'The sole piece of identifying information was a strange insignia worn by some of the attackers: a snake coiled around a sword and set against a blood-red disk'

Thanks for the information hopefully they get more attention and not become a plot hole.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #471 on: 17 April 2021, 06:45:36 »
Thanks for the information hopefully they get more attention and not become a plot hole.

Honestly I think even the writers have forgotten a lot of the early Dark Age plot points. They havent revisited them in quite some time and have even contradicted a few as well including the very nature of a lot of Gray Monday.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #472 on: 19 April 2021, 15:06:59 »
That red herring wasn't forgotten.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #473 on: 19 April 2021, 15:53:37 »
Something like 'The sole piece of identifying information was a strange insignia worn by some of the attackers: a snake coiled around a sword and set against a blood-red disk'

None of this sounds like the Blood Spirit emblem though.

And I can't see any Blood Spirit successor/refugee group using any kind of snake symbolism.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #474 on: 19 April 2021, 16:22:16 »
None of this sounds like the Blood Spirit emblem though.

And I can't see any Blood Spirit successor/refugee group using any kind of snake symbolism.

From what I understand the original winners of the WoR were the Blood Spirits, Star Adders, and the Steel Vipers. The red disk was supposed to represent them. Believe Ben Rome put out a blog on the 'original' WoR ending.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #475 on: 19 April 2021, 17:00:31 »
That red herring wasn't forgotten.

Anytime someone says that I remember the movie Clue.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #476 on: 20 April 2021, 10:22:19 »
From what I understand the original winners of the WoR were the Blood Spirits, Star Adders, and the Steel Vipers. The red disk was supposed to represent them. Believe Ben Rome put out a blog on the 'original' WoR ending.

Huh, never heard this before, it was all during my long time away from the "universe." Have a very hard time believing any scenario where the Blood Spirits team up with the Star Adders.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #477 on: 20 April 2021, 10:27:16 »
And thus the legend of Clan Steel Bladder was born...
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #478 on: 20 April 2021, 11:42:20 »
Huh, never heard this before, it was all during my long time away from the "universe." Have a very hard time believing any scenario where the Blood Spirits team up with the Star Adders.

If they managed to “disappear” from the Homeworld Clans and create their own society similar to the Goliath Scorpions that may be considered a win.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #479 on: 20 April 2021, 13:44:12 »
I'd say it's more likely feasible for them to go to ground and hide somewhere like the Wolverines.  Surviving is a victory itself when everyone wants you and your name erased.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."