Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 138934 times)

Starfury

• Lieutenant
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #750 on: 25 November 2022, 23:28:43 »
Plus the Blood Spirits waned and waxed throughout the 3060s until their death in 3085.  They gained an entire Galaxy from the Ravens I think, plus some more construction plants here and there, and their two hidden colony worlds had at least Protomech construction facilities based on Wars of Reaving and Suppplemental.  Like I posted earlier, second line designs and older Omnis like the Spirit Walker (aka the Omni Black Knight), that Omni Crab thing from Clan Fire Mandrill, and weapon refits of Star Leauge stuff from their caches easily make up for a lower more modern production base.  They also trade with a couple of more of the powerful Clans during the Wars and get some boosts that way.

What might not be a bad idea is to put together a What If refit list over in the Fan Desgins era for Blood Spirit retools and field refits for older stuff lying around.  We're also told in the fluff for the Blood Kite that designs developed by the Spirit scientists were often resource intensive, so they may have gone for quality just like they did warriors in their training before the cost effectiveness idea came along.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #751 on: 26 November 2022, 06:51:34 »
which rec guide is the spirit walker in? NM, Turning: Points Foster

I made my own BNKT omni ... called it a Blood Knight (obviously a CBS design!).  Would like to gander at the official version.

oooh, has made its way to Sarna, noice

AND a Crab IIC (ahem Night Chanter)!
« Last Edit: 26 November 2022, 06:59:00 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #752 on: 26 November 2022, 08:28:43 »
Yup they're both solid Omnis for the Blood Spirits.  The Battle Cobra, the Crossbow, the Kingfisher, the Stooping Hawk, the Uller and the Nova also nicely meet low cost front line Omnis.  We just need things like the Crusader C, the Crockett C, etc.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #753 on: 26 November 2022, 09:03:58 »
which rec guide is the spirit walker in? NM, Turning: Points Foster

I made my own BNKT omni ... called it a Blood Knight (obviously a CBS design!).  Would like to gander at the official version.

oooh, has made its way to Sarna, noice

AND a Crab IIC (ahem Night Chanter)!

I was very excited about the all energy spirit walker so of course I am adding that to my spirits. In tens of model I will use the DA black knight model with the cool pod arms

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #754 on: 26 November 2022, 10:12:19 »
Yup they're both solid Omnis for the Blood Spirits.  The Battle Cobra, the Crossbow, the Kingfisher, the Stooping Hawk, the Uller and the Nova also nicely meet low cost front line Omnis.  We just need things like the Crusader C, the Crockett C, etc.

maybe without all the name changes (i'm like 50/50 on name changes ... sometimes I just like a simple clan mod/upgrade ala Lancelot C).

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #755 on: 27 November 2022, 00:27:01 »

I really do not like the Battle Cobra and Crossbow. That they have all their weapons in the arms means they are going to be knocked out of the fight fairly quickly.  I prefer zombie 'Mechs that can fight until their last breath.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #756 on: 27 November 2022, 15:17:24 »
I really do not like the Battle Cobra and Crossbow. That they have all their weapons in the arms means they are going to be knocked out of the fight fairly quickly.  I prefer zombie 'Mechs that can fight until their last breath.

It’s a great Elemental carrier but completely agree. At least a couple of backup weapons in the torsos (or legs!)

This should be especially true in resource strapped or smaller Clans like the Spirits. Zombie designs should be predominant. Admittedly the Battle Cobra is a good medium mech so I wouldn’t discount it.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #757 on: 27 November 2022, 21:04:25 »
That's pretty much how I visualize Clan BS mechs since they're such sticklers for tradition.  Mechs for conversion consideration

Stalker
Crusader
Thug
Ostroc
Shootist
Hussar
Sentinel
Thorn
Royal Archer
Royal Thunderbolt
Royal Marauder
Crockett
Emperor
Pillager
Night Hawk
Talon
Excalibur
Royal Battlemaster
Royal Griffin

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #758 on: 27 November 2022, 21:31:43 »
One design I could see the Blood Spirits using would be two designs that the other Clans might avoid for some reason or the other like the Pulverizers they might have gotten in trade from the Snow Ravens or Devastator mechs from the Klondike era. They might be in use as the very bottom of each Galaxys list but they would be very useful.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #759 on: 27 November 2022, 23:37:33 »
The Pulverizer I can definitely see. It's tough, has decent firepower and isn't very resource intensive. You can definitively see it as the inspiration for the Kingfisher. They're just going to be super rare since the Ravens didn't put them back into production until 3149.

The Devastator never really hung on after the death of the Wolverines.  If there is one out there, it would probably come as trade from captured Lyran models then from anyware else.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #760 on: 28 November 2022, 20:40:35 »
It would have been cool if the Wolverines left something behind for the Spirits, as they were the only clan to try to hear them out.  It would have to be a secret-secret stash.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #761 on: 28 November 2022, 21:13:16 »
It would have been cool if the Wolverines left something behind for the Spirits, as they were the only clan to try to hear them out.  It would have to be a secret-secret stash.

I mean the Snow Ravens (at least one very important SaKhan) we’re willing too. And the Nova Cats also were prepared to stand with them at one point. But yes definitely the Spirits.

That being said the Wolverines tried to leave nothing behind. They wanted to take everything with them: a third exodus.

The Pulverizer I wish was further spread out: it’s a fantastic mech for that age and makes a solid second line machine (with the new Full Clan Spec variant). The Devastator EC just makes an awesome assault mech and can go in any formation as a solid fire support anchor. It’s simple to just point and shoot with it, no fancy tactics needed.

The Spirits could use each design very well.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #762 on: 29 November 2022, 08:53:10 »
One design I could see the Blood Spirits using would be two designs that the other Clans might avoid for some reason or the other like the Pulverizers they might have gotten in trade from the Snow Ravens or Devastator mechs from the Klondike era. They might be in use as the very bottom of each Galaxys list but they would be very useful.

My thoughts exactly! The totally brutal design ( I wish for a resculpt!) that the ravens apparently did build. In addition I have always been interested in the raven/spirit warship for mechs trade woukd be a great future sharpnel story… I mean the spirits are so conservative etc etc but If the more morally flexible ravens offered them a star of pulverizers mixed in with a their shipment are they going to say no?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #763 on: 29 November 2022, 13:20:15 »
My thoughts exactly! The totally brutal design ( I wish for a resculpt!) that the ravens apparently did build. In addition I have always been interested in the raven/spirit warship for mechs trade woukd be a great future sharpnel story… I mean the spirits are so conservative etc etc but If the more morally flexible ravens offered them a star of pulverizers mixed in with a their shipment are they going to say no?

Right? It’s a second line design with some tainted stigma attached so trading it would be an easy move. The Spirits might not like it because it’s not an Omni, but with their limited resources I’d say it’s a win. Then again what happens when the other Clans see them fielding Pulverizers?

I mean canonically they faced a couple Trials of Grievance so I’d expect anyone following their example to face the same.

I kinda wanna make a Blood Spirit force now: Spartan C, Pulverizer, Blood Kite, Stooping Hawk. Except I never will paint it lol. But if I did I’ll need a non pure red unit. I couldn’t stand to have bright red on everything.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #764 on: 29 November 2022, 14:05:30 »
Right? It’s a second line design with some tainted stigma attached so trading it would be an easy move. The Spirits might not like it because it’s not an Omni, but with their limited resources I’d say it’s a win. Then again what happens when the other Clans see them fielding Pulverizers?

I mean canonically they faced a couple Trials of Grievance so I’d expect anyone following their example to face the same.

I kinda wanna make a Blood Spirit force now: Spartan C, Pulverizer, Blood Kite, Stooping Hawk. Except I never will paint it lol. But if I did I’ll need a non pure red unit. I couldn’t stand to have bright red on everything.

Alpha galaxy and the blood guard have red highlights but not red as the primary so I would explore those

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #765 on: 07 December 2022, 01:37:31 »

What is this about the Spirits, a Clan that has more front line standard 'mechs than any other Clan, that has very few natively built Omni-Mechs, and, in fact, keeps review the Stooping Hawk to make sure it is not a waste of resources, not liking a 'Mech because it is not an Omni?

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #766 on: 07 December 2022, 07:28:21 »
What is this about the Spirits, a Clan that has more front line standard 'mechs than any other Clan, that has very few natively built Omni-Mechs, and, in fact, keeps review the Stooping Hawk to make sure it is not a waste of resources, not liking a 'Mech because it is not an Omni?

There is a mention in the fluff for the Blood Kite that the version equipped with PPC's while effective is seen as expensive by the Spirits. So even "second-line" Mechs are on the chopping block when they use the "wrong" technologies

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #767 on: 07 December 2022, 12:21:28 »

Yeah sorry: I realize I sorta messed up in that statement. I will echo what Metal said though. The Spirits tend to be ‘picky’ and ‘stubborn’ when it comes to certain things (like Cluster compositions)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #768 on: 07 December 2022, 12:57:46 »
Spirits are very traditional. And very much wanting the best for there warriors. Omni's are top of the line so they won't Omni's. Fielding a Second line design is slmost seen as being a step down, not a full warrior because they don't have the best. Which is funny because they made amazing Second Line designs.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #769 on: 08 December 2022, 17:59:22 »
Spirits are very traditional. And very much wanting the best for there warriors. Omni's are top of the line so they won't Omni's. Fielding a Second line design is slmost seen as being a step down, not a full warrior because they don't have the best. Which is funny because they made amazing Second Line designs.

Due to their chronic equipment shortages I would think that a standing order or at least a common practice for the spirits would be to try to scoop up as much isorla mechs as possible. For example woukd the ultra elite blood guard not try to poach new designs from other strana mechty based units? Or would that be considered dishonorable?

Arkka_Heavyaxe

• Recruit
« Reply #770 on: 08 December 2022, 18:31:01 »
Due to their chronic equipment shortages, I would think that a standing order or at least a common practice for the spirits would be to try to scoop up as many isorla mechs as possible. For example, would the ultra-elite Blood Guard Keshik not try to poach new designs from other Strana Mechty based units? Or would that be considered dishonorable?
Is it not standard protocol amongst all of the clans to trial for mechs you want, quiaff? I think it would be dishonorable not to constantly try to get the best new designs the other clans have. However, I think that the Blood Guard Keshik would primarily remain within the Strana Mechty enclave to defend it from Burrock/Star Adder aggression rather than seeking out conflict, as constantly engaging in trials of possession is far more gregarious (in the manner of clan society) than the Blood Spirits normally are.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #771 on: 09 December 2022, 08:32:30 »
Due to their chronic equipment shortages I would think that a standing order or at least a common practice for the spirits would be to try to scoop up as much isorla mechs as possible. For example woukd the ultra elite blood guard not try to poach new designs from other strana mechty based units? Or would that be considered dishonorable?

The question is how far the trial is allowed to go. Let's say the defender raises the stakes unreasonable high the merchants (who are in essence the deciding factor behind many trials) might say "Nope not that one it's cheaper to build more standard stuff then send out a binary of precious mechs that might get destroyed to aquire the same amount"  Also there is one point: if you get said Mechs via trial you also need the means to keep them running. So in essence it basically guarantees you need to send out forces again and again and again just to keep some "foreign" Mechs running (yes I know that is in essence Clan society but it might not fit the Spirit's thrifty nature)

Arkka_Heavyaxe

• Recruit
« Reply #772 on: 09 December 2022, 20:03:29 »
Has anyone else seen that the new Naga II from RG. 26 is listed as available for the Spirits on MUL? I certainly did not expect a new early omnimech from the rec guide series. I do not have the pdf myself but based on the art the prime looks like an ultra 5(?), an LB of the same class, and an LRM 20. So not the most Blood Spirit configuration, but there is an H config.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #773 on: 10 December 2022, 19:43:12 »
Has anyone else seen that the new Naga II from RG. 26 is listed as available for the Spirits on MUL?

They even discuss in the RecGuide that the Spirits have a substantial number of them, too, just in case you haven't had a chance to read the actual entry on them.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #774 on: 10 December 2022, 21:17:59 »
I think the Bloodguard Keshik stayed in garrison most of the time. It's mentioned a few times the Spirits stayed so isolationist that some Clans even forgot they existed.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #775 on: 11 December 2022, 09:37:23 »
Has anyone else seen that the new Naga II from RG. 26 is listed as available for the Spirits on MUL? I certainly did not expect a new early omnimech from the rec guide series. I do not have the pdf myself but based on the art the prime looks like an ultra 5(?), an LB of the same class, and an LRM 20. So not the most Blood Spirit configuration, but there is an H config.

I have the Rec Guide in question.  The Naga II is listed as being more common in the Blood Spirit touman than anyone else's because every other Clan had phased them out.  I questioned that because it's a thinly armored assault with a big expensive 400XL engine, but the point was made in return that these are old out-of-production designs that the Spirits use because everyone else was basically trading them away on the cheap.

As for the configs, the one that stands out the most as a Spirit config is the Alpha -- it has two ERLLs in one arm.  The Hotel does have a Heavy Large and two Heavy Mediums though.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Arkka_Heavyaxe

• Recruit
« Reply #776 on: 11 December 2022, 17:46:03 »
I have the Rec Guide in question.  The Naga II is listed as being more common in the Blood Spirit touman than anyone else's because every other Clan had phased them out.  I questioned that because it's a thinly armored assault with a big expensive 400XL engine, but the point was made in return that these are old out-of-production designs that the Spirits use because everyone else was basically trading them away on the cheap.

As for the configs, the one that stands out the most as a Spirit config is the Alpha -- it has two ERLLs in one arm.  The Hotel does have a Heavy Large and two Heavy Mediums though.
One can not go wrong with ER larges, but even having not seen the record sheet, the thought of an XL and thin armor makes me think twice about taking this over something with zombie capabilities.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #777 on: 13 December 2022, 00:23:28 »
One can not go wrong with ER larges, but even having not seen the record sheet, the thought of an XL and thin armor makes me think twice about taking this over something with zombie capabilities.

I can see the point: It will be crippled early, and thus more likely to be able to be repaired and put back out onto the field. Also, isn't it still an artillery 'mech? So it should not be getting shot at much, anyway...

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #778 on: 15 December 2022, 19:23:54 »
It should be in the backfield. Only coming out if it has a chance to be useful. But Clan Honor being what it is, if it comes out early and wins a fight its a lot of honor gained for that Warrior.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #779 on: 18 December 2022, 01:35:20 »
It should be in the backfield. Only coming out if it has a chance to be useful. But Clan Honor being what it is, if it comes out early and wins a fight its a lot of honor gained for that Warrior.

No-one has ever accused the Clans of being "practical." Even the "Legendarily practical" Wolves have had their share of "Warrior-itis." And, frankly, if anyone actually called Blood Spirits "practical" or "pragmatic"? Those are fighting words!