Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 138949 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #1080 on: 24 November 2023, 14:35:12 »
One could easily take most of the IS mechs from CI and fluff/paint them up as 2nd line mechs for any of the smaller clans.  Some simple weapon upgrades and HS/armor tweaking and you are talking some solid machines.  They would have good guns and learn to play the heat curve quickly.

Really, between the huge amount of materiel the Smoke Jaguars shipped to Huntress, whatever the Steel Vipers and Hell's Horses brought back with them following their expulsions, and the ever-present merchant-warriors of Clan Diamond Shark, there's a chance that pretty much any Inner Sphere 'Mech up to about 3067ish found its way to the Homeworlds. Out of the current plastic line, I think the only 'Mechs I'd consider hard no's are Sneed's FrankenMech (since it's unique) and the Regent (because it's post-Wars of Reaving).
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #1081 on: 24 November 2023, 15:41:40 »
TRO:3055U notes the presence of designs like the Dart among the Jaguar forces on Huntress despite no records of any of those 'Mechs lost in action against that Clan, and it was theorized the Clans were indeed trading IS equipment amongst themselves.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 24 November 2023, 20:43:35 »
Really, between the huge amount of materiel the Smoke Jaguars shipped to Huntress, whatever the Steel Vipers and Hell's Horses brought back with them following their expulsions, and the ever-present merchant-warriors of Clan Diamond Shark, there's a chance that pretty much any Inner Sphere 'Mech up to about 3067ish found its way to the Homeworlds. Out of the current plastic line, I think the only 'Mechs I'd consider hard no's are Sneed's FrankenMech (since it's unique) and the Regent (because it's post-Wars of Reaving).

doh, I should have noted I was referencing the amount of SL tech left from the Exodus that they could have kept up or relied upon.  There's TRO Golden Century which skins a lot of mechs for Clan use.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2023, 13:49:28 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1083 on: 26 November 2023, 07:04:43 »
Another example: the Cobras aquired a wrecked axample of the Tarantula and then based a new 4-legged Mech on it. Plus the Recguide IlClan Classics stated that the clans often pressed captured IS Mechs into service with their garrisons though they would often upgrade said Mechs

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #1084 on: 26 November 2023, 16:49:26 »
Parts are cheap and the Techs have the time and the need to do refit to at least Royals standard.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1085 on: 26 November 2023, 16:56:28 »
More like upgrading them with Clan weapons and a swap of the heatsinks to the common Double heatsinks while perhaps slapping on some more armor to boot. That alone turns any IS Mech into a more potent one considering the more compact Clan weaponry. Heck just take a Lonbgow and then swap the LRM batteries with their Clan counterparts. That frees up so much tonnage you probably don't know what to do with

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1086 on: 26 November 2023, 17:42:37 »
More like upgrading them with Clan weapons and a swap of the heatsinks to the common Double heatsinks while perhaps slapping on some more armor to boot. That alone turns any IS Mech into a more potent one considering the more compact Clan weaponry. Heck just take a Lonbgow and then swap the LRM batteries with their Clan counterparts. That frees up so much tonnage you probably don't know what to do with

lol, easy ... go cheap.  Instead of going to DHS, keep the SHS and just add more (works for many mechs). Don't forget the Improved versions of intro (level 1) weapons.  Short lived but would help keep BV2 down.  Systems I'd swap for clan standard: MGs & Flamers.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1087 on: 27 November 2023, 00:18:13 »
lol, easy ... go cheap.  Instead of going to DHS, keep the SHS and just add more (works for many mechs). Don't forget the Improved versions of intro (level 1) weapons.  Short lived but would help keep BV2 down.  Systems I'd swap for clan standard: MGs & Flamers.

BV only exists In Universe for the Arcade Rangers, though...No-one is going "We will use this less efficient thing to keep BV down." They are going "What do we have around that we can use? As we are Clan, we have plenty of Double Sinks..let's swap those in, and then see about other stuff..Think we can put in CASE for the ammo weapons, and, you know, that is all the ammoo systems we have, anyway..."
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1088 on: 27 November 2023, 16:48:07 »
available supply, 'cost' effectiveness, production ability/speed/reliability, etc (ie I can't think of other reason) ... all could fair reasons for SHS.  Keeping SHS would be a much faster upgrade I think

you are correct, though.  DHS makes everything more palatable, especially when it comes to energy weapons.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1089 on: 28 November 2023, 00:23:58 »
available supply, 'cost' effectiveness, production ability/speed/reliability, etc (ie I can't think of other reason) ... all could fair reasons for SHS.  Keeping SHS would be a much faster upgrade I think

you are correct, though.  DHS makes everything more palatable, especially when it comes to energy weapons.

And Blood Spirits love our energy weapons, especially ER Large Lasers and Heavy Lasers. I would think that, because of that, DHS are almost assured on any Blood Spirit refits, if for no other reason than the heat generation. Also, just the making a new factory to manufacture Single Sinks, and engines with single sinks, would be an issue in the long run.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1090 on: 28 November 2023, 13:33:51 »
During the Clan invasion I doubt it.  Although they had a large collection of Star League era mechs.
Kestrel and Bandit(whoop, was an existing clan before Dragoons, my bad) are an odd duck in that respect. Even if they're not Mechs.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1091 on: 28 November 2023, 13:35:16 »
Posted a fast transport for ProtoMech based on Donar: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,83305.0.html
Slapped together a short fluff for it. So not necessarily final.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1092 on: 28 November 2023, 17:25:06 »
Don't forget the huge numbers of Star League era mechs the Spirits got from the Ravens in exchange for warships. The Spirits had decades of experience in upgrading designs to be effective.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1093 on: 28 November 2023, 20:38:27 »
And Blood Spirits love our energy weapons, especially ER Large Lasers and Heavy Lasers. I would think that, because of that, DHS are almost assured on any Blood Spirit refits, if for no other reason than the heat generation. Also, just the making a new factory to manufacture Single Sinks, and engines with single sinks, would be an issue in the long run.

True, true ... but we're also resource strapped, so to speak.  Upgrade what you can, use the left overs too.  I like the flavor of SHS for 2nd line and training (basically 3rd tier for clans imo) equipment and DHS for front line -- but that's not how the fiction goes.  DHS units are definitely sexier.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1094 on: 30 November 2023, 20:51:46 »
here's an idea after the clan invasion  thr Spirits WERE able to get the hands on new Inner sphere designa and were able to improve them . my idea would be for a light mech light the Holander with alternate main weapons such a energy based

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1095 on: 01 December 2023, 17:06:55 »
The Blood Spirits for a long time were pretty much in isolation which would give the Clan a long time to tinker with technology and designs. It was only the raw material issue that caused them issues.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1096 on: 01 December 2023, 18:16:49 »
I think it's both, actually. WoK notes that not only have the Spirits had less access to modern technology due to their isolation, but they were horrified to learn that the Inner Sphere's technological level ranged from near-parity to surpassing them in some areas. Their development of ProtoMechs (not to mention the ProtoMechWarrior phenotype) was the only notable technological development we've really seen from them since then.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1097 on: 02 December 2023, 10:42:42 »

I gotta think some entrepreneurial tech and some hard driving warriors came up with some wacky frankenmechs during the hard times

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1098 on: 03 December 2023, 15:58:37 »
TO bad could work a deal with the sharks or Scorpions for raw materials or the opportunity togain new territory

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1099 on: 15 December 2023, 08:39:07 »
For a lot of the time the Blood Spirits existed they didn't trial or even attend council meetings. They only had the gear they had from there early years which meant that there probably was a lot of tinkering with weapons tech. Anyone wonder if the Spirits came up with something interesting but couldn't do anything with it because lack of rescources?

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1100 on: 15 December 2023, 17:07:18 »
true resources were limited but what the Spirit's needed a were a few leaders with some vision and foresight

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1101 on: 15 December 2023, 17:11:28 »
how often did the Spirit's take bondsman ? was it common or rare opportunity

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1102 on: 15 December 2023, 19:16:54 »

I think it was rare on both sides of the equation

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1103 on: 16 December 2023, 07:51:02 »

Per WoK: "To describe the Blood Spirits as insular would be an understatement. They rarely take bondsmen, and often attempt bondsref rather than be taken in by other Clans. Those few taken by other Clans rival the Fire Mandrills in their lack of cooperation."
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1104 on: 16 December 2023, 08:05:58 »
The only Spirit bondsman I know of from canon was from before they were detailed - Sumner Johns, an ASF pilot from the Wolf Clan sourcebook.

Basically an anomaly. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1105 on: 16 December 2023, 21:20:35 »
[t seems like there could be some benefit for the clan if they took a few bondsmen  because they could bring in new ldeas that could help

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #1106 on: 16 December 2023, 21:21:49 »
[t seems like there could be some benefit for the clan if they took a few bondsmen  because they could bring in new ldeas that could help

Benefit from new ideas?

Maybe you don't really get the Blood Spirits' whole thing.  :wink:
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1107 on: 16 December 2023, 22:44:12 »
it was a random thought some times i  think the spirits need  a good swift kick to get them going

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1108 on: 17 December 2023, 09:49:46 »
it was a random thought some times i  think the spirits need  a good swift kick to get them going

So did Clan Star Adder.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #1109 on: 21 December 2023, 16:54:59 »
At the time of the wolverine annihilation what  if the Spirit's worked out a behind  closed doors to save some of Clan Wolverine members and threw settling new worlds that they did not tell other clan's. the discovery of new planes was a joint venture between the 2 clans with sharing of resources and new tech. After the trial was finished and if any questions were asked about the number of dead wolverines the Spirits could say sloppy accounting  on the Widowmaker clan or Clan Mongoose were blinded by there due to their zell and hatred of Clan Wolverine. Which could give the Spirit's new resources in the future and use trails t claim Wolverine terriory and equipment

Register