Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 145487 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #1350 on: 23 March 2023, 13:22:00 »
Whatever works for you that afternoon.  7?  6?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1351 on: 23 March 2023, 14:35:57 »
Whatever works for you that afternoon.  7?  6?

That's fine.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1352 on: 23 March 2023, 18:47:43 »
I'll be there at 7.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1353 on: 23 March 2023, 20:23:26 »
I'll be there at 7.

I just thought of one possible problem.  Victory Comics doesn't have a lot of gaming space and I remember them being pretty packed on Friday nights for Magic.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1354 on: 24 March 2023, 06:49:25 »
Drat.  I guess I can just figure it out on the fly Saturday.  From what I’m reading it doesn’t look too different in how it works from regular BT, just streamlined.
Sunrise is Coming.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1355 on: 24 March 2023, 07:50:27 »
Drat.  I guess I can just figure it out on the fly Saturday.  From what I’m reading it doesn’t look too different in how it works from regular BT, just streamlined.

I should have thought about the venue's space restrictions when picking days.  Oh well.

Best of luck in Saturday then.  Hopefully it'll have a good turnout.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1356 on: 26 March 2023, 19:41:02 »
We didn’t have huge turnout, but I think I can safely say that good times were had by all.
Sunrise is Coming.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1357 on: 09 April 2023, 17:27:43 »
Ok, I wanted to make this announcement here first.

Sometime in August (either the 2nd or 3rd Saturday), I will be running a grinder event at Huzzah Hobbies all day.  Rules to be used are Classic with some optional rules like backing up/down hills and floating crits.  I can accommodate up to 10 players at a time.  No need to sign up required, no entry fee.

In this event, I will have 50 mechs split up into 5 different tiers.  You'll start with a random mech at tier 1 and when your mech is destroyed, you'll go up to the next tier.  Sounds like your typical grinder event right?  Well here's where it gets interesting.

When the game is over, or you have to leave, you get to pick one mech that you've either piloted or destroyed and walk home with it.  Any mechs that are available to your pool to choose from that aren't chosen get put into a general pool that then become available to be picked by other players.  Now if a situation occurs where we have to assign someone a mech and there aren't enough available because so many are in the general pool, then those mechs will be put back into circulation.  A sort of "reset" for the lack of a better term.

I will also have faction dice available to give to people who show up to play.  Everybody gets to pick one pair of dice and keep it.  I have 4 pairs of dice for each of the 5 major IS factions and 4 pairs of Wolf's Dragoons dice; so I can give up to 24 people free dice.  I ask that people who do show up to play stay for at least an hour or two as I have a limited amount of mechs and dice I can give away.

Let me know what you all think and if I should handle the prizes differently.  Cheers!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1358 on: 09 April 2023, 18:04:20 »
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to handle rewards!  :thumbsup:

I'll be there if I can.  My transportation options are bit more limited than they used to be, so no guarantees, sadly...  :-\

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1359 on: 20 April 2023, 08:09:40 »
Sounds like fun!  I’ll try to make it.
Sunrise is Coming.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1360 on: 20 April 2023, 09:31:23 »
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to handle rewards!  :thumbsup:

I'll be there if I can.  My transportation options are bit more limited than they used to be, so no guarantees, sadly...  :-\

I can give you a lift if need be.  If you are interested in helping me run it Daryk, I'll give you a pair of each of the faction dice and either a painted mini of your choice or a force pack of your choice.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1361 on: 21 April 2023, 01:43:10 »
If I can make it, I'm totally in to help you run Jester!  :thumbsup:

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1362 on: 27 April 2023, 10:21:53 »
That sounds great!  I'll mark my calendar.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #1363 on: 29 April 2023, 14:21:00 »
Havent been out for BT since covid, Id love to hangout with everyone again and play. I will do my best to be there.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1364 on: 20 May 2023, 02:14:25 »
I'll be running an Alpha Strike game at Huzzah Hobbies on Saturday June 24th.  It's going to be a play test of a scenario I want to run at a convention in.July.

It's set in the late Dark Age when the Wolf Empire invades the Republic of the Sphere.  All materials will be provided.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1365 on: 03 July 2023, 15:28:37 »
Ok, I wanted to let everyone know that I will be running my grinder event on August 12th at Huzzah Hobbies with a start time of 1 PM and will go until the store throws me out or I run out of minis to give away.

I may set up two maps to play on so we don't get bogged down with a bunch of people in a single game; I want to keep things moving as quickly and smoothly as possible.  I've asked a few people to help me run this to keep things going at a nice pace.

Even if all you want to do is hang out and look at some pretty cool minis (believe me, I almost don't want to give some of these away), you're more than welcome to.  See you all there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1366 on: 03 July 2023, 15:35:47 »
I'll try to make it Jester!  There's a LOT of chaos between now and then, though... we'll see how it goes!  :thumbsup:

Cull

• Recruit
« Reply #1367 on: 12 August 2023, 19:11:50 »
Above event had great attendance from new and experienced players both. I was firmly in the former category, and I had a great time for the couple of hours I was able to be there. Thanks to Jester and the other facilitators for putting in the time and energy to make it a success.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1368 on: 12 August 2023, 21:47:47 »
Happy to have helped! :)

And welcome to the board!  Only three more posts before you don't have to prove you're human anymore... ;)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1369 on: 30 August 2023, 15:40:19 »
Glad to have run it.  Hope everyone had fun.  We did have 15 people playing at one point.

One particular guy had some interesting luck.  He started off in a Jenner 7D and took a gauss rifle to the face turn 1.  He then spawns in a Hunchback 4P and gets two crits to his gyro.  So his next mech was then an Annihilator 2A and then proceeds to dump loads of damage on people.  Everyone on that table decides to gang up on him and for at least 3 turns they focus their fire before the Anni if finally cored.  Despite all that, he still loved just dishing out 50+ damage a turn until he was destroyed.  He ended up walking home with that mini and had a smile on his face; so mission accomplished.

The 5th picture of mechs on this Reddit post shows the Annihilator he took home:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NormalBattletech/comments/159qle3/grinder_mechs/
« Last Edit: 30 August 2023, 18:59:37 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1370 on: 30 August 2023, 17:42:47 »
The second table folded into the first the turn that thing finally died... it was GLORIOUS! ;D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1371 on: 22 October 2023, 20:22:30 »
Going to be running a game on November 12th at Huzzah Hobbies.  You can bring your own 10k BV list up to Jihad era or borrow one from me.  Mechs and ground vehicles only, no VTOLs or artillery.  Start time will be 1 PM.  People will be assigned a team at random, and you won't know who else is on your team until you identify them by ending the movement phase within 3 hexes of one of their units and within LOS; probes will increase this range to 6 hexes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1372 on: 23 October 2023, 03:16:32 »
Sundays are hard... not sure I can make that one (the holiday is observed on Friday).

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1373 on: 24 October 2023, 12:24:30 »
I could do it Friday the 10th if that'll work better for most people.  I won't be able to do it that Saturday though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1374 on: 24 October 2023, 18:46:48 »
I can probably make that if I can trouble you for transportation (assuming you need an assistant GM, good sir)... :)

donZappo

• Recruit
« Reply #1375 on: 26 October 2023, 00:01:10 »
Oooh, I'm relatively new to the area and excited to find a BT community in NoVa! Hopefully I'll see you at this event in November.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1376 on: 26 October 2023, 03:25:32 »
Welcome aboard!  The more the merrier! :)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1377 on: 26 October 2023, 12:41:41 »
So from the responses I've gotten from people, the game will be held on the 12th of November.  Sorry for those of you who cannot make it.

One other caveat for the event:  no more than two of the same chasis.  I don't want to see a horde of Savannah Masters running around.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1378 on: 26 October 2023, 17:31:08 »
Rog, no worries Jester... have fun! :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1379 on: 10 November 2023, 11:49:25 »
Good news: they gave us a 96, and my wife is headed down to Norfolk for the weekend, so I'm available on Sunday if you'd like an assistant GM.  Just let me know!

Register