Author Topic: Tell me about...the Picaroon  (Read 2004 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Tell me about...the Picaroon
« on: 21 August 2018, 18:45:18 »
She's a cool looking ASF. I'm trying to figure her out. With that kind of firepower is she supposed to be mostly an anti-dropship bird?

In general, thoughts on the Picaroon? Especially trying to figure out her role and how she fares against other FWL-region birds.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Tell me about...the Picaroon
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2018, 18:57:34 »
With the Picaroon's combination of thrust, armor, and an all-NOS mounted armament, it's a pretty fragging-tastic dogfighter.  The HPPC will threshold most fighters, but modern paradigms about armoring DropShips render the Picaroon suitable for anti-dropship duty only as a member of a swarm.  Probably better suited to being a wingman for your anti-dropship fighters and covering them from enemy fighters.

Its energy armament and high thrust make it decent for CAS, but it's probably a bit pricey to replace and being eminently expendable is probably the primary concern for air-to-ground craft :D

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2018, 22:26:12 »
It carries the best thresholding gun for an ASF around, and when used at squadron scale is capable of doing non-negligible amounts of capital damage.

It's also a sexy looking beast, and is produced primarily in the FWL area of space.  Both of these are fantastic advantages.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maxxx

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2018, 02:38:33 »
And if you like your force to have lots of craft from the same supplier for rp reasons, then it is nice with Gutierrez Aerospace manufacturing the Picaroon, the modernized F-95 Stingray and the Lancer. A good set of three fighters, especially with the Stingray version also using the HPPC as well.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2018, 08:07:22 »
Speaking as the guy who designed the stats, the Picaroon is a light dogfighter derived from the general idea of the Sai but based directly on the Corsair's design.  That didn't turn up in the fluff but the art and the model number both point back to the older fighter.  The armor level isn't a coincidence, either, nor is the fact that "picaroon" is a synonym for "corsair".  I didn't write the fluff but did get to add some to the art notes, so the official writeup doesn't reflect what I really had in mind.

So what's a bird based on a Davion signature fighter doing in the former FWL?  House Marik used to have a Corsair production line on Connaught that was destroyed very early in the First Succession War, with most of the survivors winding up with the Regulans over time.  When the Regulan Fiefs wanted to build their own birds, they looked at these old highly survivable Corsairs they'd been flying for centuries, knew inside and out (they've probably built aftermarket kits to maintain them for that matter!), and used them as a starting point.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the F-95 Stingray was probably on the Regulans' mind as an upgrade.  They were using the CSR-V12M Corsair variant for a long time, which has just the one large laser, so the F-95 is a logical place for them to look at for ideas on a "single big gun" fighter.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2018, 08:14:42 by Moonsword »