Author Topic: The 'Lone Wolf'  (Read 8702 times)

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
The 'Lone Wolf'
« on: 28 January 2011, 22:30:04 »
Folks,

Which model of omni was the 'Lone Wolf', Phelan's ride when he tested out to warrior?

For that matter...what were his 'mechs?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: The 'Lone Wolf'
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 22:41:10 »
Dire Wolf configured by Natasha
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=5217

His main ride was his Wolfhound IIC followed by the Clan Wolf standard favs such as the Timber Wolf he piloted during the FedCom Civil War.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2011, 23:07:45 »
Nice!  Thanks!

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 23:32:17 »
Where are the official stats for that thing?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2011, 23:48:06 »
I'm not sure there are any.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2011, 23:55:37 »
I never seen record sheets for it but Sarna.net listed the weapons lay out;

"Lone Wolf - The variant Phelan Wolf used during his Trial of Position to test out for the Warrior Caste. Configured by Khan Natasha Kerensky (who was piloting her Widowmaker in the same Trial), the Lone Wolf variant was armed with a one-shot LRM-15 launcher with Swarm LRMs, three SRM 6 launchers, an LBX Autocannon with cluster munitions, a Gauss Rifle, and three Medium Pulse Lasers. The 'Mech was heavily damaged during the Trial and not used by Phelan again."

Should be able to put one together with SSW.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2011, 00:22:04 »
Hmm..

...I have the chapter open in the book here in front of me.  The Sarna.net author, the book, and the Camospecs picture don't match.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2011, 00:26:29 »
Go with the book first, then CamoSpecs.  Sarna is not canon, and frequently wrong or incomplete.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2011, 00:33:42 »
I think the Sarna entry is dead wrong.  Lone Wolf has an SRM6(OS) in the center torso according to the book.  Sarna says it has three SRM-6's.

Camospecs matches the book...but it really doesn't say what the LRM boxes are other than that they carry Swarms.  Camospecs' build-up shows LRM-10's.  15's will fit.  There's a lot of room for interpretation.

DarkMessiah

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • NGS-6T Nightsky - Mini-Berserker!
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2011, 02:12:55 »
Yeah, Lone Wolf's a customized Dire Wolf. It's stats haven't been posted, yet, but are fairly easy to figure out from the text of Blood Legacy. It mounts a Gauss rifle in the left arm, three medium pulse lasers in the right, an LB-X autocannon in the right torso, and LRM racks in either torso. It also mounts a OS SRM-6 above the head, which I've always taken to mean head-mounted.

Yes, LRM-15s fit, but Phelan specifically notes that he has Swarm LRMs in his first 12 reloads. So, one could assume that he either had LRM-10s with one ton of Swarm each, or LRM-20s with two tons of Swarm a piece, but LRM-20s don't fit with the LB-X you need in the right torso, so I've always assumed -10 racks.

Also note, while Mr. Balk's custom mod, posted above, is incredible, he mounted an SRM-4 below the cockpit, not a SRM-6 above, so it's not totally correct. Still damned good work, though.

As far as all of Phelan's rides:
In Lethal Heritage, he piloted a WLF-1 Wolfhound.
In Blood Legacy, he trained with a Kit Fox W while training with Natasha and Ranna, then the Dire Wolf Lone Wolf during his Trial of Position.
In Lost Destiny he piloted a Mercury (either a -97 or -98 while fighting an Elemental), a custom Nova with LRMs, NARC, and an LBX autocannon (while fighting an Aerospace pilot), and finally Grinner, his custom Wolfhound IIC during his Trial of Bloodright and throughout Tukayyid.
He stayed in Grinner during the Red Corsair crisis (Natural Selection).
Later, during the Refusal War, he switched up to another custom Nova, which was basically a Prime that exchanged it's 12 ER Mediums for 6 medium pulse lasers (Falcon and Wolf).
During Operation Bulldog, he piloted an Executioner A [IIRC](Grave Covenant).
Finally, during the Civil War on Tharkad, he was piloting a Timber Wolf.

I also believe there's mention of him piloting something else during the Jihad/Dark Ages, but I don't recall what off the top of my head.
Battletech fan, Battlecorp member (LYA-0BF3), Catalyst Demo Agent (#402), unapologetic Lyran Loyalist, and obsessed with canon custom designs.

Malvina Hazen for ilKhan!
3rd Lyran Royal Guards: The Pride of Tamar

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2011, 03:05:12 »
IIRC MWDA created a unique figure for him which was a Solitaire.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2011, 03:15:12 »
I also believe there's mention of him piloting something else during the Jihad/Dark Ages, but I don't recall what off the top of my head.

Wizkids released a pilot card and 'Mech for him where the 'Mech was a Solitaire, but Wizkids didn't often match a pilot's ride in the fiction with a pilot's ride on the tabletop, so take it with a grain of salt.

DarkMessiah

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2011, 03:18:01 »
IIRC MWDA created a unique figure for him which was a Solitaire.

Wizkids released a pilot card and 'Mech for him where the 'Mech was a Solitaire, but Wizkids didn't often match a pilot's ride in the fiction with a pilot's ride on the tabletop, so take it with a grain of salt.

That's the reference I couldn't remember. Thank you, gentlemen.
Battletech fan, Battlecorp member (LYA-0BF3), Catalyst Demo Agent (#402), unapologetic Lyran Loyalist, and obsessed with canon custom designs.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2011, 04:41:46 »
I thought the Lone Wolf was in TRO:3050U, or was it just the Dragoons training one that was in there? (my copy's been on loan of some time)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2011, 04:43:12 »
I thought the Lone Wolf was in TRO:3050U, or was it just the Dragoons training one that was in there? (my copy's been on loan of some time)

Dragoon Training (W). The Lone Wolf is, so far, without a TRO entry or Record Sheet.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2011, 04:46:59 »
The guy likes variety when it comes to 'Mechs, eh?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2011, 04:49:09 »
Everybody needs a hobby ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

DarkMessiah

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2011, 05:16:48 »

As DarkISI said, it's the W (the 'Goons training version, ironically the one Kai used on his Trial in the same novel). I'm really, really, really hoping that Lone Wolf is included in RS: 3050Uu(u?), along with Vlad's Executioner/Dire Wolf/whatever-the-hell-it-is. I've been wanting to test that scenario out with canon record sheets for quite a few years.

I'm fairly sure he sets the record for "Most different 'Mech chassis/variants driven" although I'd have to check. Kai might be close-ish.

Sappy69

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2011, 10:10:24 »

You'll note that while he's piloted a ton of different mechs, he's very consistent when it comes to the actual weaponry.  Of the mechs he's chosen himself to pilot (Wolfhound, Nova w/ pulse lasers, Executioner A, Timber Wolf Prime), they all mount a heavy battery of lasers.  Though he doesn't seem to have a preference for pulse or ER, as long as they're lasers.

Register