Author Topic: GenCon 2019  (Read 32238 times)

sadlerbw

• Captain
GenCon 2019
« on: 31 July 2019, 12:16:43 »
I’m headed up this afternoon, yay! I’m planning to go to the What’s Up? Event on Thursday and I’ll be playing Alpha Strike most of Saturday. I’ll try to get booth pictures of anything that shows up at the con as well, but with the Kickstarter, who knows if there will be all that much new right now.

Look forward to seeing all you other BT fan again!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: GenCon 2019
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2019, 12:17:42 »
I am hoping to see painted prototypes of the Invasion box and the first four star/lance pack mechs!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2019, 12:23:20 »
the patreon had painted prototypes of the Mad Cat and Shadow Cat so those will be there for sure

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2019, 12:25:46 »
One of these days I'm finally going to get to attend Gencon. It's either I have the money but don't have the time or I have the time but not the money.  :(
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2019, 12:43:11 »
Cant wait for the updates on the "whats up with Catalyst"
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2019, 12:48:44 »
That reminds me, did you folks ever see the fully painted Awesome? They had it at Origins, but I don’t remember if Anyone ever put up any pictures.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2019, 12:53:08 »
One of these days I'm finally going to get to attend Gencon. It's either I have the money but don't have the time or I have the time but not the money.  :(
Lucky you, I have neither.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2019, 13:06:16 »
That reminds me, did you folks ever see the fully painted Awesome? They had it at Origins, but I don’t remember if Anyone ever put up any pictures.

Not officially . . . I saw it in background . . . Wolf's Dragoons black/red won out?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2019, 13:14:48 »
Now, the more important question for those of us who cannot get to Gencon....

Will the What's up with Catalyst? Event be streamed?

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), Two "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," and "Shadows of the Past," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Three White Roses," and "The Markslaughter Files."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." "In the Shadow of Dragons" (Out July 15th!) and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2019, 15:13:35 »
Anyone know what Catalyst's draw items are going to be for their booth?   In the past we got a list of all the new and exclusive items they'd have for sale, but this year I only see it for Shadowrun.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2019, 16:19:23 »
Now, the more important question for those of us who cannot get to Gencon....

Will the What's up with Catalyst? Event be streamed?

Craig

They plan to stream it if the WiFi gods cooperate. I will also attempt to record it and drop it on YouTube as a backup.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2019, 16:49:01 »
Where will the youtube links be posted?

In this thread?

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2019, 16:57:56 »
Oh, and here is a pic of the Awesome from Origins.

And yes, I will post YouTube links here, or possibly in its own thread if the official video isn’t up. Last year the official stream was on Facebook. This year may be similar.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 17:02:35 by sadlerbw »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2019, 17:32:31 »
Got my first Battletech game of the con in!

Needless to say, my wife won. Highlights include the Shadow Hawk doing most of my damage for a while(until a peeper found the AC ammo), my Griffin losing its PPC fairly early, but then having several turns in a row of jumping behind the Awesome and kicking, and the game ending with two one-legged mechs trying to prop themselves up and kill each other, her blowing large pieces out of the Griffin each turn, and me trying to crit with my LRMs. Alas, a Griffin's torso can only take so many PPCs...

My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2019, 08:09:40 »
Can’t get in the vendor hall yet, but I can SEE the CGL booth. I’m in line for the running of the nerds, so hopefully there is something worth standing around for!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2019, 08:57:52 »
And yes, I will post YouTube links here, or possibly in its own thread if the official video isn’t up. Last year the official stream was on Facebook. This year may be similar.

I just landed, and have my a/v gear with me. I’m planning to stream on CGL FB. Once I’m sure my gear will work, I’ll post a notice.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2019, 09:37:01 »
CGL has new fiction, some IWM wasps and valkyries, al the stuff from origins, aluminum dice sets, Steiner and red duke shirts. Energy drinks are back. There is a poster, but don’t think it is new. Not sure if I missed anything.

There will be a leviathans Kickstarter in 2020!

IWM has clear resin exterminators, transport leviathans, I saw some other stuff I’m not sure they announced like the Ursus II.

Will try to put up pics as I can.

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2019, 10:29:59 »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0n2vbTHh5F/?igshid=szp0cbpruvls

Oh my god....did you see this in CGLs Instagram????

IlClan is for Real

And some nice oldschool covers on TacOps

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2019, 10:34:18 »
Hey sweet we’ve got an ilclan cover. I think we knew it was going to be that art but it’s good to see they have it to the mock-up stage

Also I want the TO with the Compendium: RoW cover BAD

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2019, 11:20:51 »
Well, the Diorama this year is Wolf Clan forces, light Omnis, heavy/assault standard battlemechs, Elementals & some Black Wolf against a Republic mix of a heavy Triarii lance, heavy Dawn Guard lance, two Standing Guard lances (Jackalopes & mixed med lance), and a pair of unknown Republic mechs in red- new Highlander and Mad Dog Mk III.

Oooh, that picture needs to ZOOM!  I see Invasion Box and what looks like a IS Lance . . .
Colt Ward

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2019, 11:22:06 »
No time for nice embeds, but here are the pics I got so far. Some are not new, but I was busy!

https://1drv.ms/a/s!ApDHaN8p702HgzEG-q3_rFMFKfS3

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2019, 12:51:08 »
Hey sweet we’ve got an ilclan cover. I think we knew it was going to be that art but it’s good to see they have it to the mock-up stage

Also I want the TO with the Compendium: RoW cover BAD

With all the updated mechs coming in the kickstarter, it makes using old art on the new rule books even more perplexing.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #22 on: 01 August 2019, 13:02:07 »
A tour of the BattleTech section of the Gen Con 2019 booth:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2452249658175704&id=155068684560491
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2019, 13:14:04 »
With all the updated mechs coming in the kickstarter, it makes using old art on the new rule books even more perplexing.

i think it was financial necessity. when the core reprints were going through, it was about the same time the box sets were in development. decisions were made before much of the new artwork had even been conceptualized and it was the lean period - they had largely shut the line down between TRO: SW in july 2017 (which was itself done with minimal cost) and the slow restarting of product flow with Shattered Fortress around last year's gencon. art is expensive and you know what's inexpensive? old art. it's the 35th anniversary so at least you have nostalgia to fall back on.

i'm open to the opinion that new art would be better, but i don't think why old cover art was used is a mystery if you look at the timing

are those AS card packs flanking the ASCE?

« Last Edit: 01 August 2019, 13:17:58 by Sartris »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2019, 13:21:11 »
Yeah, I was trying to figure out as well . . .

Probably unintended, but ASCE & BMM having new art that matches the GOAC & upcoming Clan Invasion art does give a visual hint of the primary books to tie in.
Colt Ward

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2019, 13:21:50 »
It's a 35th Anniversary thing. Exalting the past on present-day product.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2019, 13:22:50 »

are those AS card packs flanking the ASCE?

AS Succession Wars and Clan Invasion card packs.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2019, 13:25:04 »

Any option that doesn't require a facebook login?  Trying to write my shopping list.   :drool:

i think it was financial necessity. when the core reprints were going through, it was about the same time the box sets were in development. decisions were made before much of the new artwork had even been conceptualized and it was the lean period - they had largely shut the line down between TRO: SW in july 2017 (which was itself done with minimal cost) and the slow restarting of product flow with Shattered Fortress around last year's gencon. art is expensive and you know what's inexpensive? old art. it's the 35th anniversary so at least you have nostalgia to fall back on.

i'm open to the opinion that new art would be better, but i don't think why old cover art was used is a mystery if you look at the timing

My issue isn't that they're reusing art, it's that they're using old art.  It just looks dated.   I'll miss that Uziel too. Always been my favorite cover of all the hardcovers.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #28 on: 01 August 2019, 13:38:51 »
Any option that doesn't require a facebook login?  Trying to write my shopping list.   :drool:

you don't need to log in to watch the video, fortunately (at least i didnt)

My issue isn't that they're reusing art, it's that they're using old art.  It just looks dated.   I'll miss that Uziel too. Always been my favorite cover of all the hardcovers.

a perfectly reasonable stance. my guess is that many of these covers were used because they came from during the height of BT's 90s popularity and since the clan invasion is new again, it subtly draws a line that tugs on heartstrings. but i'm not a graphic designer or a marketing expert so cgl would have to explain why they chose what they did

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 01 August 2019, 13:53:33 »
The videos they posted of the product history and in development shelves were nice. Physical copies of the clan mechs look gooood.