Author Topic: GenCon 2019  (Read 32217 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: GenCon 2019
« Reply #150 on: 04 August 2019, 19:28:03 »
- ilClan got pushed back by Shadowrun and the Kickstarter, but is getting more attention now. Probably won’t make 2019, but 2020 for sure.

If only there were a "get ilClan done already" kickstarter I could have backed instead.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 04 August 2019, 19:34:17 »
If only there were a "get ilClan done already" kickstarter I could have backed too.

Fixed that for you.   ;D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 04 August 2019, 19:39:33 »
Fixed that for you.   ;D

Nah. at the end of the day, I don't care nearly enough about physical miniatures. Having them will be nice, but they are nothin to me in the face of seeing the plot advance. Plus, if there had been that alternative, I'd have probably gone the equivalent of Khan or Full Kerensky on it. Wouldn't be any money left for the other one.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #153 on: 05 August 2019, 08:35:14 »
Yeah I know the ebayers are flippers I was just wondering if I had somehow been missing the fact that CGL actually does sell the gencon stuff online through a webstore other than the main one.. never know /shrug  Just didnt want to totally rule it out in my head

There is a chance that the so-far-con-only dice "pucks" and rectangles will be in the web store later this year. I don't have details on when, I just know that that was the intention.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #154 on: 05 August 2019, 16:40:34 »
There is a chance that the so-far-con-only dice "pucks" and rectangles will be in the web store later this year. I don't have details on when, I just know that that was the intention.

Jesus tap dancing Christ I hope so, I want them really bad but there's just no way I'm paying that kind of money for them.  I take it the Alpha Strike cards weren't con exclusives right? (just someone has them listed that way on Ebay)

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 05 August 2019, 16:41:07 »
Was there big event games at GenCon 2019? I've not really heard anyone talk about them.

The diorama for Titan Shipyards 3151 sounds like it would have been cool battle.

I spent the entirety of Saturday playing an Alpha Strike campaign. SLDF vs. Kurita in the Davion war of succession. I ended up playing as a filthy snake, and still haven’t washed the shame away! I didn’t get pictures though, and I’ve been mostly dead since returning from the con, so I haven’t even tried a write up. I know the battle of the superheavies was run as well, and there were thematic throwback Thursday games as well, but I wasn’t in those.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: 05 August 2019, 17:24:02 »
I spent the entirety of Saturday playing an Alpha Strike campaign. SLDF vs. Kurita in the Davion war of succession. I ended up playing as a filthy snake, and still haven’t washed the shame away! I didn’t get pictures though, and I’ve been mostly dead since returning from the con, so I haven’t even tried a write up. I know the battle of the superheavies was run as well, and there were thematic throwback Thursday games as well, but I wasn’t in those.

Was a pleasure sharing the shame of being Kuritans.

Still amused that the Star League secret hiding place for wounded Davion nobility was inside a gas tank. Genius concealment, or a statement about how they felt about having to save his bacon.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #157 on: 06 August 2019, 11:27:11 »
Jesus tap dancing Christ I hope so, I want them really bad but there's just no way I'm paying that kind of money for them.  I take it the Alpha Strike cards weren't con exclusives right? (just someone has them listed that way on Ebay)
I believe I read somewhere that the Con edition had a couple of exclusive cards per deck.

CDT Special Agent #343

TonyFRR

• Recruit
« Reply #158 on: 06 August 2019, 12:22:41 »
If only there were a "get ilClan done already" kickstarter I could have backed instead.
That's probably going to be a sloooow burn.  Not sure you've seen the Technical Readout: Clan Invasion preview on DTRPG, but there's an intro memo to the "ilKhan" from a "Star League Loremaster" dated 3250.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #159 on: 06 August 2019, 12:37:11 »
That's probably going to be a sloooow burn.  Not sure you've seen the Technical Readout: Clan Invasion preview on DTRPG, but there's an intro memo to the "ilKhan" from a "Star League Loremaster" dated 3250.

I think he means release IlClan, which means he'll get waht he wants next year from the sounds of it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #160 on: 06 August 2019, 12:44:32 »
Based on the premise we’ve seen from the trio of blurbs, I don’t ever really want to go to 3250. It can be out there acting as a stable narrator with appropriate historical distance to offer an interesting point of view downstream. Way downstream.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #161 on: 06 August 2019, 12:51:16 »
Jesus tap dancing Christ
Please don't. There are those of us who do find misusing that name offensive. Definitely don't think you meant anything by it, but just be mindful, OK?  :)
I hope so, I want them really bad but there's just no way I'm paying that kind of money for them.  I take it the Alpha Strike cards weren't con exclusives right? (just someone has them listed that way on Ebay)
IINM, the card sets sold at cons were exclusives (though I think at least one of them is sold now as PoD on Drivethru RPG).

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #162 on: 06 August 2019, 12:58:38 »
Based on the premise we’ve seen from the trio of blurbs, I don’t ever really want to go to 3250. It can be out there acting as a stable narrator with appropriate historical distance to offer an interesting point of view downstream. Way downstream.
Why is that? I think I’d feel the same way, if I didn’t know the opportunities that it creates.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #163 on: 06 August 2019, 13:30:57 »
Why is that? I think I’d feel the same way, if I didn’t know the opportunities that it creates.

Not him but I think I can see the argument.  Time jumps are disorientating and lead into "but what happened between those times" style of questions.  Concerns of a further Clan scale power creep or invalidating of old tech is also one I have seen from others.  I'm approaching it from an open mind since there is so little information out, but I understand those concerns.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 06 August 2019, 13:33:34 »
when was it said there's gonna be a time jump? I gathered that the idea is to continue from IlClan. Latest TROs are just framed from 3250 perspective. Perhaps the framing device will continue in post-IlClan books, regardless when they are set.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #165 on: 06 August 2019, 13:35:43 »

As 3250 should serve as an end point for the BT timeline of sorts, with snippets of that time released as teases. It serve as both reboot and end as nothing tangible would be released beyond that Era. With all of the remaining Houses w/ subservient Clan allies poised to do battle once more (w/ reborn Navies). Maybe a list of prominent personalities, notable regiments/wings, hotspots, tech update (extinctions/fin evolutions), and odd teases for a future that will never come.

After a few decades you could always lift the moratorium not unlike 40K and have a little more fun.  ;)
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 06 August 2019, 13:37:44 »
I believe I read somewhere that the Con edition had a couple of exclusive cards per deck.

That is my understanding also. I think it was the unit cards that were Con exclusive, the mechs will be released to retail at some point.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: 06 August 2019, 13:40:45 »
Was a pleasure sharing the shame of being Kuritans.

Still amused that the Star League secret hiding place for wounded Davion nobility was inside a gas tank. Genius concealment, or a statement about how they felt about having to save his bacon.

I had a great time as well! I still maintain Jonathan Davion was already dead and the SLDF just dumped the body into the fuel tank to hide the evidence. Thanks for letting me steal the Aero forces all the time. I was itching to try out the new rules, and I had way too much fun bombing things.

Changing gears, I'm interested in 3250, but there are a few significant real-life questions about a time jump that still make me hesitant. I'm not talking about whether the Great Houses still exist or any plot stuff like that. I worry more about things like, are we going to end up with another tech level? Are we going to need a new rulebook to support a time jump? How much of the current support material I have (minis, maps, recordsheets, AS cards) will still be valid and usable in that new timeframe? These are questions that don't have a right and wrong answer, just answers with different consequences. I know they can tell a good story no matter what the next era happens to be. I'm worried about what it means for playing the actual game(s).

Of course, we still aren't finished wrapping up the Dark Age yet, so I don't expect answers to any of those questions are ready. Personally, I'm happy to wait until after IlClan drops and hear what they have to say then.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #168 on: 06 August 2019, 15:14:43 »
So I have a question regarding the GenCon dice tins that are sold.  How do they retail for at the Con for? 
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #169 on: 06 August 2019, 15:34:53 »
The "hockey pucks" were $50.00.
I have spoken.

Beargram

• Private
« Reply #170 on: 06 August 2019, 18:10:54 »
I take it the Alpha Strike cards weren't con exclusives right? (just someone has them listed that way on Ebay)

Oof, yeah $60 a deck on eBay.

>_>

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #171 on: 06 August 2019, 18:34:16 »
Some of the “hockey pucks” are up on eBay for $125!
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 11:09:21 by Generalstoner »
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #172 on: 06 August 2019, 18:45:34 »
I've had a couple shots at picking up the pucks.  I just didn't see a $50 value there.  I do wonder how much of that is for the dice and how much is for the puck.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #173 on: 06 August 2019, 19:49:23 »
Some of theirs “hockey pucks” are up on eBay for $125!

I saw one for $200 Cnd

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #174 on: 06 August 2019, 19:50:39 »
Con exclusives are almost always heinously overpriced on the secondary market

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #175 on: 06 August 2019, 20:04:15 »
I've had a couple shots at picking up the pucks.  I just didn't see a $50 value there.  I do wonder how much of that is for the dice and how much is for the puck.

:blink:

That puck was $50?

Maybe I should've checked before grabbing the last Smoke Jaguar one.

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #176 on: 06 August 2019, 23:07:42 »
Some of theirs “hockey pucks” are up on eBay for $125!

First listings where at $200 a puck.. really hoping they will come out again as been said because I'd love to get one

General308

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: 06 August 2019, 23:13:31 »
Yea the pucks would be cool to have but I am not paying scalper prices.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #178 on: 07 August 2019, 02:05:10 »
when was it said there's gonna be a time jump? I gathered that the idea is to continue from IlClan. Latest TROs are just framed from 3250 perspective. Perhaps the framing device will continue in post-IlClan books, regardless when they are set.
Herb said it, or that was what people got from his comments when he first floated the idea of 3250 like 10 years ago.

That said post-ilClan a time-skip is likely mandatory as Grey Monday has probably inflicted as much economic damage as the Succession Wars combined, so a period of re-building is needed.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #179 on: 07 August 2019, 02:35:17 »
What Herb said years ago no longer matters. New line devs and all that.

Register