Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - Houston, we are go for launch!  (Read 107656 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Not so bright news, the Integrity remote copter on Mars has ended it's mission. Apparently on it's 72nd flight, the copter had tumbled and broke the tip of one it's blades. 

The report does not go into detail, but it appears too much to fly the remote copter again. 

As I recall, the Integrity's blades were super ultra light, thus they were fragile. I'm curious if they tried get it to fly vs giving up after seeing the picture. I think the former, but there not much information.

A earth bound prototype already was donated to National Air and Space Museum.

Report on SpaceNews.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2024, 16:34:25 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Bummer!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Bummer!
True, but with the obtained practical data they can design a much better martian copter for future missions. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Well, my question "Did the rovers not have cameras? Were they close enough to see the landing?" got answered.  Yep.

Curtsey of JAXA rover LEV-2.

I guess they under estimate how much rotation the lander needed to land on the legs....
« Last Edit: 25 January 2024, 22:55:17 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
I always like looking at the photos of the ground of the other planets; I think, "So that's what it looks like on an alien-world".

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Manley had a video on the SLIM crash after JAXA had a press conference. Apparently one of the engines failed just before landing - possibly a problem with the oxidizer feed - and while the lander came down softly it was now at an angle as well as still moving a bit sideways. Thus when it touched down it tumbled.

The impressive part is that it was under internal guidance during the whole landing sequence, and the programming was good enough to (mostly) handle a ~40% loss of power plus off-axis thrust without crashing!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Manley had a video on the SLIM crash after JAXA had a press conference. Apparently one of the engines failed just before landing - possibly a problem with the oxidizer feed - and while the lander came down softly it was now at an angle as well as still moving a bit sideways. Thus when it touched down it tumbled.

The impressive part is that it was under internal guidance during the whole landing sequence, and the programming was good enough to (mostly) handle a ~40% loss of power plus off-axis thrust without crashing!
Indeed, I finally caught up on Scott Manley's video on the landing. He amazing at his analyzing everything.  They really shouldn't be using the oxidizer for fuel.  If he's right, the Venus probe lost it's engine in same manner, which shares same type engine as this lander.   Still the guidance system did a specular job landing it, and most precise landing so far. 

Hopefully, they can get away from the oxidizer fuel.  That stuff eats through anything if conditions are right.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Can't find what SLIM used for fuel/oxidizer mix, but given how it operated I assume it had to be hypergolic - which pretty much by default means horrible reactive substances as both fuel and oxidizer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Joules per kg are what makes it worthwhile... ;)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hypergolics are typically not the most efficient fuels, but not needing a separate ignition system really helps with engine design and rapid stop/restart!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
It would cool if we got more footage of the two mini-rovers bouncing around on the surface, I do wonder if they relied on the main lander to keep contact with Earth. 

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
As I understand it the lander is shut down, so they can't be using that. I don't know if they are using another satellite to relay or if the distance is short enough to pick up down here.

kato

• Captain
Can't find what SLIM used for fuel/oxidizer mix, but given how it operated I assume it had to be hypergolic - which pretty much by default means horrible reactive substances as both fuel and oxidizer.
Took a while to find it, but apparently SLIM used 296.7 kg hydrazine as fuel and 237.3 kg MON-3 as oxidizer for the main thruster.

The main thruster system seems to be identical to the orbital maneuvering engine used on the semi-failed Venus orbiter Akatsuki launched in 2010, and differs from other similar systems by having a ceramic thruster (as in JAXA are the only ones using ceramic thrusters).
« Last Edit: 29 January 2024, 08:21:12 by kato »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Recent picture of the NASA's Juno probe passby of Jupiter's Moon Io.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
View from the rover to Ingenuity on sand dunes of Mars.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
So, eventually, the Martian-winds will conspire to cover to the rover on the sand-dunes, and bury it; with time, more and more sediments will be deposited on it, that, a million years from now, or so, a terraformed-Mars, water-worn valley will emerge exposing the fossilized rover for the future Martians to uncover.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
View from the rover to Ingenuity on sand dunes of Mars.

Just had too... and you know it!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
More pictures of the Juno probe fly by of Io

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Nice shots! :)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
On the first picture, is that a pair of geysers in the upper left?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
On the first picture, is that a pair of geysers in the upper left?
Yep, more likely volcanoes.   Given surface is cover with lava pools as Jupiter squeezes the moon.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
James Webb Space Telescope has discovered / spotted coldest Brown Dwarf star yet, WISE 0855-0714.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
It is surprisingly close to us, just a little over 7 LY away.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
My bet is on colder matter than we've seen so far being the answer to the "missing mass" problem, but it's going to take a LOT better instruments than even Webb to prove that out...

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
It is surprisingly close to us, just a little over 7 LY away.

If you jumped there, could you recharge your sails?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
They did it!  The US is on the moon again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg2ffigGcYM

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel

If you jumped there, could you recharge your sails?
I don't think so as it is Y-class.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That just means it takes longer than the current rules cover...