Author Topic: Base Assult  (Read 3769 times)

Rock

Base Assult
« on: 08 June 2011, 14:23:08 »
Hey guys,

I am setting up a 3050 tech game, where I want a clan assault force to attack an IS base. The base will be walled off with four stationary turrets of some kind. The objective will be to capture the base command building. There will be 2 players on each side, and I am trying to keep each force on the smaller end. 1 to 2 lances/stars per side. Do you have any advice on how to balance this game?

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
Re: Base Assult
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2011, 15:00:59 »
a star of mediums vs two heavy  assault lances?
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2011, 15:04:37 »
A key factor will be to what extent the Clans have jumpjets. If they lack them, their task will be harder.
Another is whether the walls can be destroyed. If they can't (IE, they're Hills, not Buildings) the Clans will have a harder time.
A third factor is to what extent the turrets or 'Mechs can fire while inside the fort, (indirect fire) or from the walls. The more they can, the harder a time the Clan force will have.

Especially when they lack the armor to slog it out, and have to plink at the base from range for a while.

When using Indirect Fire, don't forget about infantry spotters and the ability of buildings or towers to spot. (Again, more spotters, more angles, more difficult time for the Clanners).

If the Clanners fail to use smoke/fires (or if you dont want to use such rules) they'll have a hard time of it.
If you give them an Elemental Star, you'll get a very interesting fight, especially if the Elementals can jump over the wall.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Rock

« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2011, 15:20:34 »
Thanks for the response guys!

The walls will be destroyable, and will be 1 level high. So they can provide partial cover from some ranges. The clan mechs MAY have just jets if those units are chosen. I know one of the clanners had expressed interest in using elementals. The use of artillery is negotiable. I am really just looking to put together a fun game for everyone. The turrets will also be powered via a power plant that COULD be destroyed. I know I have read previously about Attack/Defend scenarios that the Attacking Force should be larger than the defending force, but I was not sure how this balanced with the tech advantage that clans have.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2011, 15:27:01 »
The walls will be destroyable, and will be 1 level high. So they can provide partial cover from some ranges. The clan mechs MAY have just jets if those units are chosen.

Cool, but at 1 level high, 'Mechs can walk over them.

I know one of the clanners had expressed interest in using elementals. The use of artillery is negotiable.

Artillery can be an overpowering advantage for the defenders, especially if some shells land on top of Elementals. I'd give em small tubes, but possible 4 or 8 of em so they occasionally do something right. Also, don't forget that they can designate a number of hexes that will always be hit by the firing artillery. You can adjust that number up or down if you like.

I am really just looking to put together a fun game for everyone. The turrets will also be powered via a power plant that COULD be destroyed.

Cool idea. Note that a level 1 wall will not block line of sight to any buildings.

I know I have read previously about Attack/Defend scenarios that the Attacking Force should be larger than the defending force, but I was not sure how this balanced with the tech advantage that clans have.

BV2 is the most typical choice. The consequences of the base turrets and walls are a little difficult to quantify. In general, you could elect to put an ace up your sleeve: make a small supplemental unit for each side (IE, a lance of Light Mechs for the defenders, a Light 'Mech or 2-3 for the Clan side) that could make an appearance as reinforcements in case things turn out unbalanced for some reason. Might keep a failing side in the fight a bit longer.
If you do that, give 1 turn warning that the reinforcements are arriving, and where to eliminate the feeling of said reinforcements "teleporting" in.

Paul

Rock

« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2011, 15:33:40 »
Cool, but at 1 level high, 'Mechs can walk over them.

Good point, so maybe make the walls 2 levels high, so they can't be walked over, and it would make the defenders have to choose whether to hole up behind the walls or move out side and be exposed to fire. This would also give the attackers some tactical choices.

As far as turrets, are there any record sheets for that type of thing anywhere that you know of?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2011, 16:07:45 »
Good point, so maybe make the walls 2 levels high, so they can't be walked over,

They'll need to be Level 3 then. With maybe a Level 2 hill right behind it so they can climb the wall, get partial cover, and fire from a level 2 elevation. Handy when you think you outgun your attacker.

and it would make the defenders have to choose whether to hole up behind the walls or move out side and be exposed to fire. This would also give the attackers some tactical choices.

Yes, exactly. The defenders would have the option of running along their walls to create to-hit modifiers, but ostly would have little beyond the partial cover. (which is nice, mind you)

I'd make them 2 lances of slow but sturdy mediums. The wall as described above is a nice force multiplier if the defenders have a fair bit in the way of indirect fire. Lacking many LRMs, I'd do a heavy and medium lance.

As far as turrets, are there any record sheets for that type of thing anywhere that you know of?

Maybe some in scenario books, but not really beyond that.
You don't really need them if you just make them buildings. Give them a CF and some weapons and you're good to go. You can keep track of 4 turrets on a post it note.

Paul

Rock

« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2011, 16:35:01 »
Thanks for all the help Paul! I really appreciate it.

Rock

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2011, 16:47:06 »
Thanks for all the help Paul! I really appreciate it.

No worries! I've done a few scenarios like that, and I'd be happy to hear how things go.
I would very much recommend keeping the reinforcements on tap though, just in case things go south quickly due to something unforeseen, or just some seriously lucky dice.

My most recent base attack scenario (just 2 weeks ago, actually) had 4 upgraded assault Mechs go against a lance of 2 Zeus and 2 Archers, 6 turrets, similar wall. One spotting squad of infantry hidden outside the fort, and a tower peeking above the wall.
I expected the players to have a relatively easy time, and had some hefty reinforcements on hand to keep things interesting. I rolled extremely well with my indirect fire, and caused some major damage, so the reinforcements stayed on tap, only appearing when they were withdrawing. But if things had gone as expected, the game would've been over in no time, with the attacking players feeling unchallenged.

Paul

Rock

« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2011, 16:17:36 »
Hey one more quick question! If I wanted to use the BV system to try and balance the side, where is a good place to start? I am looking for a good ball park number to start with, I'd like people to be able to use the BV to pick their own units.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2011, 16:53:27 »
Depends on how tough the static defenses are.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2011, 16:58:39 »
4000-7000 should give you a range from medium to assault 'mechs

Rock

« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2011, 19:23:38 »
4000-7000 should give you a range from medium to assault 'mechs

I have not decided how tough those will be, I guess it would depend on the balance. I will look into how the balance of 4,000 to 7,000 looks with some units then.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2011, 10:45:49 »
also depends on what weapons.  the static defense should be force multipliers for the Inner Sphere side, not taken into consideration.  given that they are static, and would have to contend with aircraft as much as anything else I recommended a simple Partisan Turret, atop whatever tower you have planned.

For the Walls, as this is a military installation housing Mechs, the walls themselves need to be 2 levels high at a minimum, heavy SF, hardened preferable.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Rock

« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2011, 12:21:03 »
Thanks for all the help guys.

I was thinking of going with a BV of 16,000 per force. This should allow for a mix of units and allow pilots to spend points on better pilots if they want to at the expense of smaller units. I built a test force for each side with those points and got some good result. I am curious of I should include the turrets into the BV of the IS side though. I wanted to have 2 to 4 turrets on the base.

Also, when using the BV table, is the 1 ton listing there for a single squad of 5 elementals or a star of 25?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2011, 12:24:02 »
I wanted to have 2 to 4 turrets on the base.

Maybe count the BV of the weapons they mount. Their CF value is but a small delay, and arguably canceled out by the -4 to-hit.
There are rules for building BVs though.

Also, when using the BV table, is the 1 ton listing there for a single squad of 5 elementals or a star of 25?

1 ton refers to the mass of 1 suit. One Point is 5 suits, so 5 tons.
The BV listed corresponds with 1 Point.

Paul

Rock

« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2011, 12:34:51 »
Maybe count the BV of the weapons they mount. Their CF value is but a small delay, and arguably canceled out by the -4 to-hit.
There are rules for building BVs though.
Good point!

1 ton refers to the mass of 1 suit. One Point is 5 suits, so 5 tons.
The BV listed corresponds with 1 Point.

Awesome Thanks!