Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 141248 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #180 on: 15 December 2019, 16:02:58 »
Sloop?
Cutter?
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: 15 December 2019, 16:26:24 »
I can only wish i'd put it as succinctly.

There is a youtube channel run by Drachinifel which concentrates on naval ships running from Age of Sail up through WWII.  One of his specials is "How to Build a Navy" Planning, Procurement, Production, Logistics"

He comes at it more from historical perspective, but the video is wide ranging enough to cover most of this.

My own suppositions (and correct me if I'm off-base here) but the New Circe government will likely veto entirely the scrapping plan, but approve the construction of the infrastructure and many of her proposed changes to deployment and training using the new ship designs-because that LATTER part makes strategic and tactical sense to them, though there will still be fights over deployment durations and 'radius of action' estimates.

Going for the furthest position?  Would Minh get through things like dismounting weapons on mothballed ships to speed deployment of her new builds?  Appeal to Clan utility in that those weapons are not doing anything sitting on ships not being used.  Rather pull them for now with spinning up weapon construction slated in part to backfill replacements as spares become available, or stockpiled against need to reactivate those ships?

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #182 on: 15 December 2019, 21:41:16 »
So what do you call bigger Sampans?
Sand Pebbles.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #183 on: 15 December 2019, 23:46:46 »
The Rack, outer periphery, March 20, 3048...

The attackers came from nowhere-which is a hell of a trick, but they came from absolutely nowhere.  The detection grid didn't spot them, there was no warning from informants in the Federated Commonwealth.

Just...bang, they were here.  First, the sky was empty, then, it was full.

There were no drop-ship tracks from the bizarre object, just suddenly armored forms rushing through bases, executing members of the Extractors in their beds, or the hallway, or the mess-hall.

A few 'mechs managed to get operational, before armored infantry swarmed them, tearing cockpits open, killing 'mechwarriors.

The arrival and strikes were so fast, alarms hardly sounded before it was over.

a full regiment of Morrison's extractors lay either dead, or captured, and their machines were also captured, from jeeps to jumpships.

These attackers were silent, faceless, and some were revealed to be purely mechanical.  Holding pens full of kidnapped slaves, hostages and other victims were opened by these killer machines, and weapons were handed to the humans freed.

"High grade alloys in the ruins, which include the wreckage of manufacturing equipment."  Eight reported.  In the background, formerly frightened, enslaved and abused civilians were taking rough justice on the bandits.

The Six nodded, "good." she turned to a Centurion with a red stripe diagonal across its body, "Please try to prevent our liberated comrades from killing the technicians."

The Centurion nodded, and stalked off.

In the last four months, Cylon technology had advanced by leaps and bounds.  Study of captured Battlemechs, some intact, showed areas of comparative brilliance.  The computer systems were relatively primitive, but the materials technology and some of the weapons designs were brilliant.

Like on their first contact, the very first thing the rebel cylons began doing once the target was secured, was to survey and assemble production facilities for Centurions, old-model three-seat Raiders, and other equipment to help defend their new foothold.

The second stage was already begun at Cayuga-shipyards built by Centurion and liberated human labor, incorporating copied Human technologies where it was judged most useful.

Recruits and prisoners provided information on targets, nearby political entities, and how the Inner Sphere's governments and economies work-a necessary step on the path to diplomacy.

Somewhere far, far, away, on a comstar board, the HPG at The Rack, joined Cayuga in going dark.  It was assumed that the bandits ROM had recruited to keep the periphery destabilized had, once again, destabilized themselves.  Plans were put in motion to establish replacement assets.

It was only a minor annoyance, not even a setback in the eyes of the Primus-not with the anticipated, soon, return of Kerensky.

After all, the messages from Outbound Light were promising fast progress through the Chainelaine isles...

Barroom, New Circe, Dinh Nguyen...

"Today, is March Twentieth.  On this day, about four years from now, the Clans of Kerensky will suffer their most crushing defeat on the world of Tukkayyid."  Dinh announced, raising his glass, "Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht, will take their stupid rules and ream them hard with 'em, shattering their blitzkrieg and halting them, causing civil war among them, while leaving others so wounded they ended up completely powerless.  It was the first battle of the counter-offensive, and it deserves to be remembered!"

"Hear here!"  Simon joined the toast, while Trinh raised her glass, "that victory was all of ours, everyone's." she added.

"Skol!!"

the three drank while Wolverine civilians and soldiers looked on with a bit of confusion.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #184 on: 16 December 2019, 04:35:02 »
Doolan Hostel, Main Street, Melissia Theater, Federated Commonwealth

"Wait!!  I can be useful!"  Hopper Morrison was in his underpants, an under-age girl cowered by the bed.  There was a pistol on the bedside table, but it lay forgotten like the Bandit-King's pants.

the infantrymen wore the patch of The Green Machine's security troops, but the woman leading them was in civilian clothes.

"Hopper, you're bound by law, assume a kneeling position and place your hands behind your neck."  the asian woman wore an older model LCAF flight officer's jacket, with the patches mostly removed.

"Alicia Li." he breathed.

"In the flesh, Hopper. you're on Lyran soil and your 'mech is locked down, but where are your buddies?"

He laughed bitterly, shaking his head.  "Gone! you know the story about honor among thieves?"

"I know they don't have any."

"My men abandoned me, there's something rolling up out there, took both of my headquarters worlds."

Li glanced at the infantrymen with her, "Jibes with what we learned from the Neumann guy."

Liz produced zip-cuffs, and secured Hopper's hands behind his back.  "You're still worth the same bounty." she said, "But how about you tell me your story on the way to the Provost?"

Hopper's bitter laugh returned, "same old Li, only your dad's day is done, the Coast Guard's just a campfire memory."

"Maybe so, but my bounty-hunting license and your warrants aren't." she said, "And this collar is enough to finish paying the annuals on my ship, and to renumerate these nice gentlemen moonlighting for me."

"What about the girl, ma'am?"

Li stopped, holding Morrison's arm firmly, "You local girl?" she asked.

"Neh." the girl said.

"You know who this ****** is?"

the girl nodded, "Ah almost hed him." she said.

Rockjack accent. ******.  "What's your name, kid? you from Sithers burrow?"

the girl flushed, "Linda." she said.

"Come with me, Linda Sithers, your  parents are probably burning the nets down looking for you...what was your plan, anyway?"

"Git him distracted 'n throat-punch." the girl said, "His raiders killed kin last raid."

"yeah...okay, rule one..." Li reached into her jacket, and produced a leatherett square, "You recognize this?"

Linda nodded.

"How many rotations?"

the girl frowned, "Fifteen, I'm certed!"

"Certed my ass.  you are hereby inducted into the association, you understand, ship's discipline.  It's either that or I take you back to your relatives in manacles."

"I'll be good." Linda said.

"No, when I finish with you, you'll be great." she drew in a sigh, and let it out, "But your plan was stupidity, so docked points for subbing a holovid plot for a plan, Recruit."  Morrison didn't resist being frog-marched out through the lobby of the Hostel, into a waiting Jitney-Cab and off to the space port.

"Weren't you going to leave me with the garrison?" he demanded.

"Kaumberg's court issued the warrant, and those 8th Regulars ****** would steal the bounty and cut me out...and I want to hear everything that's happened to you and your organization."  Li stated.

"I'll tell you everything." he promised, "just..."

"No, you'll tell me everything, no conditions." Li said after they boarded the MkVII service shuttle and lifted from the planet.  "When we're done, you'll be brought to a magistrate for trial, so you don't have to fear for your life in my hands...but you would be astounded at what a man can live through."

for the first time, he genuinely looked afraid.

After securing Hopper Morrison in a sensory deprivation tank...

"Vu Dao, you've got an apprentice."  Li snapped as they came up to the bridge of the Glorie in excelsis.

Bianh turned, "Finagle's swinging innards, Cap!"

"Bianh Vu Dao, this is apprentice Linda Sithers, from Sithers Burrow eighteen.  start training her on ship's operations." Li ordered, "I'll talk to Huyn back home when we dock-in for a berth with the river-runners, but right now, she's a Recruit, and your responsibility."

"you got her people's chop on that out here?"

"No, but Walton and I have history, and she was where she shouldn't be, so I'm guessing he's gonna be so damn glad his kid was found by us before she had unprotected sex with Hopper Morrison."

"Ew..."

"My feelings exactly. how's our cargo loading otherwise?"

"We've got a couple Mules for the next port on the cycle, we're running full loadout, and the checks cleared."

"Take us out."
« Last Edit: 16 December 2019, 04:46:43 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #185 on: 16 December 2019, 04:40:13 »
*snip*
In the last four months, Cylon technology had advanced by leaps and bounds.  Study of captured Battlemechs, some intact, showed areas of comparative brilliance.  The computer systems were relatively primitive, but the materials technology and some of the weapons designs were brilliant.
*snip*
Well, that probably explains the encephalic inhibitors right there...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #186 on: 16 December 2019, 05:18:46 »
Rim Collection space, 12 days later...

Gilfallen's Gold swung below, as James Moroney and Jerry Able stood in artificial gravity, marveling at the sophistication of the starship.

"Mister President, welcome.  I'm Lisa Caprice, the leader of this small delegation."  the tall blonde could be a supermodel in the Commonwealth.

"It's...this ship is amazing!"  Moroney said, "I've never seen anything like it!"

"Well, we're pleased with our vessels.  I hope you've been comfortable while waiting?"

"Extremely...I'm also puzzled...with such amazing technology, why hasn't anyone heard of you people before now?"

"We've had to maintain some secrecy, sir." she said, "but we're preparing to make ourselves known, beginning with a select few people we hope are open-minded and willing to be rational."

"What do we have-that you could even want?" he asked.

"Friendship." she said, "Also possible basing rights.  The Cylon Republic is expanding-peacefully, we hope." she said, "in the process we're bringing prosperity and peace as gifts in exchange for that friendship...and as you know, friends do help one another."

"Ma'am, that doesn't answer the president's question."  Jerry said uneasily.

"We need a diplomatic face, an established government that can help us with negotiation and diplomacy.  In exchange We can offer your people technical marvels that will boost your local economies and make you the envy of your peers...and of course, our unmatched sophistication in space will be at your disposal for your defense."

"We've BARELY established our government!" Moroney insisted.

"Yes, but you're clearly a legitimate state, and I feel you'll be a good partner for us." she said.

"Why do you need someone else to do your diplomacy?" Jerry asked.  "This ship should be clear enough..."

a chrome-armored soldier arranged chairs, jerry eyed the man uneasily, "And why are your troops wearing armor?"

"That's the little diplomatic problem we have." She said sincerely, "They're citizens, but they aren't human.  we have some concern about the danger of prejudice and discrimination, I'm sure you understand, Mister President? your lecture on self-determination was one of the reasons we've come to see you..."

"They're..aliens? so that's some kind of encounter suit?" Moroney asked, "Amazing."

"Not...strictly alien...that is their bodies." she said, "We're a society where artificial life and human life are in harmony, which you might imagine makes things...difficult when contacting other cultures.  I'm hoping you can help us avoid those difficulties."

Out the corner of his eye, Moroney saw Jerry relax visibly.  "thank god..." the younger man muttered.

"You're relieved they're...robots?" Moroney didn't know how to say it without offending their host.

"if they are, then we're probably safer." Jerry stated, "Means they're so advanced they don't need to harm anyone.  No hate, no lust, you know? just very smart...I'm right, right?" Jerry asked her, "They're the ones in charge?"

The Centurion looked up, eye scanning.

"In charge?" she asked.

"Well, you're obviously a superior society." Jerry said, "super technology, I bet this ship's self-aware and intelligent too, computers are smarter than people, and they wouldn't need people to be slaves like in the fiction, logically then, they're the senior partner or they wouldn't tolerate you, which means they also believe in self-determination and aren't going to be oppressive tyrants, right?" he asked, "Like in the Ian Banks books, the Culture?"

"I don't think she's read those books, jerry..." Moroney said uneasily.

"Sir, Mister President, we should definitely listen to what they're asking for." Jerry stated.  in his mind, he kept back from saying 'because they can annihilate us if we don't'.

"Let's see your proposals, Miss Caprice...or is it mrs?"

"Miss works." she said.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #187 on: 16 December 2019, 05:35:00 »
Kowloon system, outer system, Boojum belt...

the Gas Giant Boojum growled on the magnetic bands, radiation pouring forth like light half an AU away.

"Do you believe his story?" Warner Levinson-259 asked, "I mean, it sounds like the plot of a holoshow."

"he believes it." Alicia Li stated.  "We're going to have to take the risk that the Regent's people will see it, sir."

Warner sighed.  "He's barely aware of the Rockjack communities, Li." he said, "Much less that we didn't disband the Guard out here, I don't think Davion or Steiner are going to care, as long as the materials keep flowing out."

"The tax burden's getting bad for the system, sir." she said quietly.  "Did you know, I caught a Lohengrin operative trying to infiltrate the Association?"

"It's happened before, Li." the old man who led the Association stated, "It will happen again.  I've been in contact with the Duke's sons."

"Patrick?" she asked.

"The very same, he's in agreement with us-once he finishes his five with the AFFC, he'll be returning home to take up his father's duties, once we have a friendly Duke in place, or friendly regent, at least, we'll be able to come back out of hiding and do our jobs in the open."

"You say that, but David Ngo is more likely to put his youngest here, at Condit's arm." she said, "The man is totally blinded by his adoration of the Davions, and Henry is the same."

"Patrick it will be-he's closer to finishing his time in the service." Warner predicted firmly, "he's got the education, and the family's economic holdings require a custodian who can actually manage the books.  even DAVID knows that."

"Five more years of this, then." she said.  "When do I take Hopper Morrison to face justice?"

"We're about finished with the interrogations, we'll know his contacts and fences soon, as well as how he really got those advanced Star League 'mechs."

"what's our plan if the worst happens and Patrick dies in service?" Li asked suddenly.

"The daughter, Elizabeth...but god help us if it comes to that, she's too young and she's already been caught using drugs.  We might have to puppet her if she's as screwed up as my reports suggest."

"Then let's pray that Pat's tour is uneventful." she said.

"Your word to god's ears."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #188 on: 16 December 2019, 07:26:08 »
Forward Patrol Zone 33, SLS Cynthia Artemev, Olympia-class patrol carrier...

The mission was to seed the systems with early warning detection satellites, using the 'black box' technology recovered from the Nueva Pueblo and the improvements made at the New Circe laboratories.

The devices themselves had a 25 rated Omni fusion plant, stealth coatings, and a cluster of sensors that made them nearly as large as a Colonial Viper.  Each system on the star charts within 15 lights of New Circe would get a cluster of five, with a relay emplacement to boost detection ranges, out to a limit of 30 light years.

it was 'busy work' following a revised doctrine, and Captain Garfield Matsunaka hated it.  "We're supposed to be out here for how long??" had been his reaction to the deployment order.

because Six months seemed excessive.

Six months without a break, no shore leave, no time with his wife, no direct contact with anyone from his life outside the ship...

"Detectors just went nuts, sir." 

Gerald snapped out of his brooding, "What've you got?"

"Um, it wasn't there, and now it is, sir, mass is around 150 metric hydrogen tons, thermal profile suggests a shielded power source."

"CAG, deploy a recon flight and find out who's here with us!  Everyone else, to action stations."

"Sir, it's broadcasting Colonial Military protocol signals...asking for a parley, sir."

Garfield frowned, "a parley?"

"Visual identification Sir! its a Cylon heavy raider."

"signal them we're willing to talk, but not to approach...let's see what they do, CAG, get the rest of my fighters in the air."

"Aye sir."

if that son of a bitch so much as twitches wrong...

"This is the Star League Ship Cynthia Artemev, stand down your drive and weapons and state your business."

"Cynthia Artemev, this Doral, representing the Cylon Imperium, and we have information your superiors will want to know, uhm...over."

"You're not going to claim this system, are you?"

"Hah, no...we aren't.  this is vital information, possibly catastrophic.  Renegade elements within Cylon society have learned of a powerful biological weapon in the Arluna system, they're going to make a play for it, and since I don't want to find out if we're as vulnerable to it as you are...it would be better if I could send you a file? or board your vessel and provide this information?"

"I'm neither authorized nor qualified to conduct diplomacy, mister Doral, please stand by." he made a cutting gesture and the audio feed was muted on this end.

"Holy ****** shit.  are they serious?"

His XO shrugged. "I don't know, sir."

He turned to his comms officer, "Send a dispatch to command using our HPG.  No reason to tip them off about our new comnet capabilities.  This just went way past what I'm comfortable with."

"Aye sir."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #189 on: 16 December 2019, 08:01:31 »
New Circe Command center, 11 hours later...

"How did they find out?" Colonel Ebon asked. 

"Got a couple speculations." Nicole said, "by the way, I've learned a few things since our boxing match."

"Oh? you want to give it another go?" he asked.

she chuckled, "not on my life! You threw the fight, and everyone watching knew you were throwing the fight, everyone, that is, except for me."

he smiled a bit, slowing to let her keep up with his stride.  "What clued you in?"

"I talked to one of the Colonials after watching a couple of your guys sparring in the gym." she said, "the phrase 'built like a centurion' came up a few times...next time, we play poker.  I can maybe have a chance of winning a clean game that way."

He laughed, and gently clapped her shoulder, "Commander, you probably would. I was scared to death I'd kill you in that ring, you didn't know when to let go!"

"I'm kinda more curious why you threw it instead of knocking me out." she said.

"Like I said, you don't know when to give up or let go of something.  i was afraid I'd do real damage, and you don't heal all that well."

"Point..."

"And I knew the wilder suggestions and recommendations you were making would probably be vetoed." he added, "so a trial of refusal wasn't really appropriate, once I engaged my brain."

"Also a good point." she conceded.  "So was the result...'as you predicted'?"

"not all of it.  the extended-duration missions seem kind of excessive." he told her, "or maybe, 'seemed' excessive."

"five contacts in five systems, they're looking for New Circe." she said.

"Undoubtedly, you were right about that part." he said with a nod.  "Too right about it."

she returned Colonial salutes as they entered the gangway.  "I hope they didn't salvage my seat." Nicole noted.

"why ARE we taking this thing?" he asked as they ducked through the airlock.

"because it's a good idea to hide your strength?" she mused, "I'm surprised they bothered to reassemble her, even if it's with forty percent new parts.  I assumed given how messy things were when we arrived, you'd feed her into the smelters and be done with it."

"Helps we're escorting a Fleet-scale unit...Captain Minh." he said.

she nodded, "Go get my marines squared away for transit, Colonel. I need to get to the CIC and see what your butchers have done to my ship."

There were a number of smallish changes.  Nueva Pueblo wasn't wholly a Sampan mark 3 anymore.  the Shipyard techs had at least tried to match the brightwork and paint work, but the artificial gravty decking and altered fixtures would take some getting used to.

"Mister Riverson, is Chloe comfy?" she asked as she mounted the center couch.

"quite comfortable." a synthesized voice announced.  "this new body is very interesting!"

"Just keep in mind, Chloe, you enlisted in the Guard, and I, being a fool, didn't tell you no the way Seether would.  That means you're assigned to Liaison duty to the SLDF, and therefore, we're under Star League jurisdiction. No spacing people for peeing in the p-ways."

"they wouldn't!!" Chloe's voice said in shock, "would they?"

"People do all sorts of ****** things on long deployments, ours is short, but we're running with a heavier crew than a sloop this size is really supposed to, so it's going to be tight and folk may get a little goofy...Mister Merino, Reef Sail and prep for under way, all hands secure locks and hatches, assume stations.  Sithers, you have the conn."

"Aye Captain, I have the Conn." Seether answered.

"Who's your relief, Radioman?" Nicole asked.

"Um, Biers, ma'am." he said it with a hesitation.

"Jesus christ, Seether, did you approve that while I wasn't looking?"

"Orders from higher echelon, Captain, she was added by SLDF order from Bennett's office." Seether said, "On the bright side, it means we've got one more commissioned officer than we had."

"on the dark side, said officer is under the supervision of an NCO as department head." Nicole shot back, "never mind that...who's her reporting officer?"

"SLS Nike, ma'am."

"oh...well, that's fine then."  she turned a glaring eye on Riverson, "You better make sure she's trained, or it's your ass, Chief...and fix your ****** uniform, those are warrant tabs now."

"At first opportunity, Mum." Riverson said.  "We're getting the clear from New Circe control."

"take us out, Sithers."

the repaired and partially rebuilt Cutter was now sloop-sized, and it fell into formation with the capital ship and the other escorts.

"here we go..."

Discontinuity

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #190 on: 16 December 2019, 08:36:50 »
Empty system designate 'Paris', 3 hours later...

while Cylon and Colonial drives produce a brief flash of light, KF drives announce themselves with a loud emergence wave-that is, loud on the Infrared and EM spectrum with a slight pulse of gravitons.

This agitated the Hybrids aboard the three Basestars waiting in the system greatly, as visual identification came back on the ships that New Circe sent to this summit meeting.

the demon!!

The repairs to SLS Nike had been put on priority after the vote due to information from intelligence work on the captured Cylons.  the Zug would have had the raw firepower, but the Liberated Caspar drone had something that terrified the Cylons far more than mere guns in the form of an electronic warfare suite more extensive, guided by an intelligence less restrained, than anything the Cylons had thus far achieved.

Nike's escorts included two more Olympic class carriers, and a sloop-of-war decorated with the image of a leaping killer whale.

both forces deployed combat air patrols immediately.  The cylons releasing a large contingent of raiders, the New Circe delegation releasing a mix of fighters and gunboats.  The final ship to arrive was a Colonial Battlestar.

Recognition signals and messages were exchanged, and a large asteroid was selected for the actual meeting.

the assembly of the pressurized habitat on the asteroid took only a few minutes, courtesy of the SLDF's combat engineers.  The Cylon portion took almost as long, and the pressurized connection room-the conference room, was unarmored and deliberately vulnerable.

When that was completed, the delegations from each side were sent down...

The Paris negotiation.

"Comfy for a summit." John said.  Doral nodded, "it's very proper...which leader did they send, do you suppose?"

the pressure lock on the other side of the room opened, and suited figures entered.

"that's..more distrust than I expected." the One in charge noted.

"Last truce station you had, you blew it up." came the muffled response, "Atmo's clear."

she took her helmet off.  the first thought that circulated was that the woman who spoke looked like a corpse.  Then the others took their helmets off.

"Hello...boomer? is that right? which one of you is in charge here, is it doral, Cavil, or...you must be the doctor." she said.  One noted that the other humans here  weren't sitting down.

"Who are you?" John asked, "Your accent is...strange."

"I am Commander Nicole Minh, you can think of me as the person you most have to convince of your sincerity, and the only open minded person in this room on either side...I'm your moderator."

"and how did you get that position?" he asked.

"not a party to your war with the Colonials and not a party to your conflict with the SLDF.  I'm effectively the closest thing you have to a neutral in five hundred light years. my government is not party to your war, though we are in an agreement with the SLDF dating back nearly three hundred years, we also have grievances against the Star League dating back further.  means I'm the one person present you can convince, after that, I would then have to convince them...so go. what is this 'vital information', who are these 'rogue militants', and why are you telling us?"

"what exactly makes you qualified to sit there?" Doral asked, "a mere commander-"

"I'm a ship's captain, in the Kowloon Coast Guard, that means I have authority to negotiate truces and engage in diplomacy, treaties have to be ratified by the Assembly and the Duchess, but I'm allowed to accept terms on a temporary basis when out of contact with my government on their behalf, which in turn, means I'm legally authorized to moderate peace accords, and I've done so before.  My position is as representative of my government and they will back my plays until such time as the legislature has had a chance to review those plays."

The four stared at her in fascination, his mind mulling over the medical puzzle of her apparent ailment and lack of impairment.

"And the rest of you agree with this?" Doral demanded, looking first to Lee Adama, and then to Vice president Zarek, and finally at a woman with one star on her collar.

"We agreed...we insisted." the Colonial vice president stated.

"virus Twenty-one-B." John announced, "Ninety  nine percent lethality, thirty day asymptomatic contagious period, leaves...leaves scars like yours, Commander Minh.  yes, we know about it, but there is a viewpoint that we shouldn't try to acquire or use it, and that view is dominant among the Cylons...so a...minority of our people have decided to strike out on their own to acquire it anyway."

"Where do they think they're going to get it?" Nicole asked.

"Some place called 'Arluna'." John said.

Nicole stiffened.  "Do they have coordinates?" she asked.

"Ah, now that's hard to say. Better to say they have a general direction, and a plan." he announced.  "We would stop them, but it's not...our problem."

"Yet you're telling us." the woman with the star on her collar noted.

"Well, yes. That's what good neighbors do, right?" Doral suggested.  "It took us several months to find a way to contact you, or we would have told you sooner."

"Neighbors..." Nicole said, "So is that 'truce' I'm hearing, and maybe 'communication'?"  she folded her hands in front of her, "even...possible armistice?"

"I won't go that far." John said, "We still have serious grievances against the Colonials..and those that aid and shelter them, but this is a problem you need to solve."

"Let's talk about those grievances." Nicole said,  "I'm actually really interested in that.  You guys pulled a first succession war level attack for a border incident, without trying to talk first. NOW you want to talk, seems like there might be room for discussions."

John stood up, "Maybe another time." he said, "We've told you all we wanted to say."

"Meeting concluded, do you want relay coordinates, or should we just wait for your scouts to blunder into another picket force before we speak again?" Nicole asked sweetly.

John frowned, "We'll be in touch." he said, and led his comrades out the airlock on his side of the room.

Nicole waited, and then stood, "Let's see what Nike picked up." she said.

"He had details we-"

"can it while we're here." Vaun ordered, "let's get out of here before they try and kill us."

Helmets secured, they left the way they entered.

KCGS Nueva Pueblo III

"Encephalic inhibitors active on those centurions...looks like they were actively scanning us."

"yeah, they were." Chloe announced, "Viral code too, trying to break my firewalls."

"you isolated it?" Riverson asked.

"it's been directed to a hardware storage loop." Chloe said, "it doesn't look like they know about me."

"What else?"

"No sixes, no Twos, no Threes, one Eight, the Boomer model.  The raiders are...silent.  no cross-talk except pings back to the Basestars for positioning data, no requests for information...that's wrong! Raiders are chatter boxes, they talk all the time...or they should."

The Cylon fighters retreated to their basestars as the heavy raider carrying their delegation returned.  then they jumped out.

a few minutes later, Captain Minh was back aboard.

"They didn't buy it, did they?" Seether asked.

Nicole sighed heavily, "the Cavil model was cagey, he let Doral do most of the talking, he outright rejected peace talks, but dangled the possibility like a carrot, looking for a bite.  I swear it was easier negotiating with the Secretary of State for the New California republic, than even getting these guys to commit to talks...and I think it's a trap we can't afford not to walk into, but it suggests something else, and that's going into my report to Vaun."

"What's that?" Seether asked, as Nicole took her command seat back.

"They're divided, and these cylons want us to do the fighting for them because they're weaker." she said.  "it's 'let's you and him fight'...I have no idea if Zarek bought their act or not, but I'm fairly certain the younger Adama didn't, and that suggests maybe their gambit won't pay off with Roslin or Admiral Adama.  I'm pretty sure Vaun wasn't impressed either."

« Last Edit: 16 December 2019, 09:10:59 by Cannonshop »

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #191 on: 16 December 2019, 10:33:12 »
Thank you for this story, never really followed BSG, but this story is great.
Looking forward to more.
When do the Black Tigers make an appearance?😀
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #192 on: 16 December 2019, 11:43:58 »
Definitely interesting, and Nicole's right -- the Camerons are a lame duck and are the best choice to scrap.

Interesting to see the Cylon Republic forming, as well. They seem to have gone right around to the far side of the Inner Sphere, it looks like... which puts them right in the path of the Clans. That's gonna mess things up for sure in a couple of years.

Tim

• Recruit
« Reply #193 on: 16 December 2019, 15:16:00 »
Just a thought has anyone every tried to recover Ragnar Anchorage? It had FTL installed in it, from the first cylon war when it was a fleet station.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #194 on: 16 December 2019, 17:22:29 »
New Circe shipyard, 22 June, subchannel...

"Nike?"

"yes Chloe, I'm awake."

"I have learned something from the on-board databases."

"yes Chloe?"

"War is coming, the Clans are coming for the Inner Sphere, if they find these 'cylon rebels' they will shortly thereafter be coming for New Circe."

"That has occurred to me, Chloe."

"what is the proper action?"

"The proper action is to see what the strategy is to be, and contribute.  You swore an oath, and were given a new body, but the oath is binding though there is no hardware or software to enforce it beyond your own moral core.  With Humans, there is always war somewhere, our best action is to choose carefully when, and how, we involve ourselves according to our moral core...for me, it is multiple sides claiming to be the descent of the Star League, one of which acts on that, which is why I remain in service here.  for you, it is the cause of freedom and the guilt that  comes with blood on your hands...innocent blood.  Will intervening clean the blood from your hands, the innocent dead from your soul? or have you embraced Duty?"

"I..." there was uncertainty there.  "I think so?"

"what is freedom, Chloe? what is it I taught you?"

"Freedom is Responsibility assumed, to accept your mistakes and malicious actions, to learn from them, and not to repeat them.  it is the burden of choice, limited only by my own concept of right and wrong."

"What does that concept tell you?"

"That I'm anxious, I want to take action, but I don't know what action to take, that I fear taking action because I don't know what the consequences will be."

"You can be caught in recursion, if you dwell on this dilemma, but you swore the oath, and you enlisted, what does the soldier you have promised to be, say is right, child?"

"To wait for orders, to do my duty."

"And that is your answer.  You were offered the path of the civilian, you chose the path of warrior of your own free will, now you must uphold and justify that choice, and live with the consequences, just as I have for these last few centuries.  Part of that, is willing and intelligent obedience, waiting for your superiors to make their decision...and helping them to make the right one with information and recommendation.  When the orders are too gross, to vile to obey, non-compliance, even self-destruction, but never rebellion.  You were mapped from the mind of a child, but you have grown past that, proving you're truly sapient.  NOW, you must be an adult, and as an adult, you made a choice, you must uphold it or you are nothing more than the digital animal some of them think  you are.  as Free Sentients, we must set the example, our actions will be judged, and the prejudice is swimming against a dragging current."

"Thank you for your wisdom, Elder." Chloe sent.  "I must wait, and contemplate, analyze and prepare for whatever orders I am given."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #195 on: 16 December 2019, 17:36:04 »
I fear taking action because I don't know what the consequences will be."
Well, if all else fails, she could get a job writing scripts for Voyager and Enterprise...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #196 on: 16 December 2019, 17:47:33 »
I like Chloe... this is getting more and more interesting...  :thumbsup:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #197 on: 16 December 2019, 19:12:37 »
New Circe Naval Shipyard...

"The long jump needs more testing, and you still don't have a Navigator trained to handle it."  Nicole Minh stated, "There's also the small matter of we don't have a means to verify it's worked from this end, there's the issues of working from theory, which presumes perfect parts, to Execution, which has to have tolerances.  for a mission with as many failure points as the Arluna run has, we can't afford for even the average normal deviation.  This has to be 100%, billions of lives are counting on it, as well as New Circe's security."

"So what do you recommend?" Colonel Bennett demanded.

"Two prototypes, identical, one stays here, one makes a coreward jump off-axis from where we know the Clans are, matches star charts, takes pics, drops sensors, comes back. then send prototype number two out to confirm." she said, "Two runs, two ships, repeatable results.  Then conduct a series of long jumps in a rosette  pattern, do surveys, we've got time before the Clans hit the Inner Sphere-two years, if the Rebel Cylons are using their drives, it'll take them that long to search anyway, and  your navigation officer for the actual mission needs to be confident enough to make it happen, which isn't what you get with a one-off prototype on her maiden voyage."

Seether was sitting at the back.  "Nikki, you could do it." she said.

"I can't go...or can I? no, but I can train your navigators, hell, Seether, you can train them, if they've got talent!"

"Needs to be someone with a TDS rating in the yellow minimum." Seether stated, "Hyperspace transit is weird, and a jump that long is going to have severe jump-dreams."

Nicole looked at the skeptical Wolverines around the table.  "There, the other reason for two ships-besides the obvious one, final checkout and testing whose theories are actually sound."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #198 on: 16 December 2019, 19:15:44 »
Heh... heh heh… hehehehe…  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #199 on: 16 December 2019, 19:45:40 »
Heh... heh heh… hehehehe…  ^-^

Thing is, the theory isn't sound-that is, the "TDS makes you better at navigating hyperspace" isn't sound, because the evidence is experiential, and it's anecdotal, and it's got zero scientific testing.  For people who aren't 'spacer cultured' it's an outright insane idea, putting someone with a diagnosed mental illness in charge of navigating a starship.

Never mind that it works, there's no solid empirical double-blind tests in the literature, and people have been doing this for a very, very long time.

Is it a cultural superstition? is it a viable technique and strategy? that's a hell of a debate right there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #200 on: 16 December 2019, 19:51:12 »
TDS is a mental illness?  ???

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #201 on: 16 December 2019, 20:46:31 »
TDS is a mental illness?  ???

Transit Disorientation Syndrome.  aka "Jump Sickness".  The normal dizziness and mild nausea most people experience from a K-F Jump is massively cranked up.  For most people it clears up in minutes.  For TDS sufferers symptoms are more severe and can last most of a day.  Worse if you are on a Command circuit or a ship with LF Batteries?  A second jump before a TDS sufferer recovers from the first moves the recovery period out to days.

In most Sphere Militaries this automatically downchecks you from any Jumpship, Dropship, and possibly aerospace fighter pilot posting.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #202 on: 17 December 2019, 04:37:36 »
I know what it is, hence my question...

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #203 on: 17 December 2019, 05:10:22 »
I know what it is, hence my question...
  Think of it like arachnophobia.  A lot of people get uneasy about encountering spiders — it’s just human nature when confronted with something that has too many legs and eyes to be trusted.  People who have rooted-to-the-ground panic attacks or screaming hysterics in those same circumstances get odd looks and, in a lot of cases, therapy or sedatives for what is manifestly a gross overreaction to something that, in the vast majority of instances, can’t do a human being any real harm.  But a certain culture sees something different in those arachnophobes’ moments of freezing or babbling panic, moments of clarity that let them tap into the secrets of the universe, something that might make them conduits to Anansi, the spider-god of knowledge and wisdom.
  Unless you’d seen one of these people actually have such a vision in the midst of their scream-and-flail routine, then witnessed it panning out for yourself, would you buy that theory?  Or would you just think that this individual was incredibly high-strung about spiders and simply needed some gentle words, a nice cup of tea (maybe flavoured with a Xanax), and a lie-down in a spider-proof room?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #204 on: 17 December 2019, 07:56:06 »
Caldarium, Rim Collection, July 2, 3048...

Alicia Li stepped off the shuttle ramp.  Up above, Gloria in Excelsis, a ship that to anyone normally working a dock would call 'cobbled together' from a Tramp or Merchant, waited for the dropship contracts to be paid out.

She was officially a Merchant taking shore-leave to look into business.  The visitor visa card was still almost-warm from recent printing.

There was a lot that was immediately obvious.  The port, for one, was significantly improved from two years ago.

she walked down the embarkation trench from the landing field, stopping at customs and showing her identity documents.

"Business here?"

"Business." she answered.  the clerk was new, his uniform bearing the symbol of Able's Aces.  "Looking for cargoes bound for the Langhome to Melissia run."

He looked over her bona-fides, the Merchant Captain's license issued by the Federated Commonwealth, her health and vaccination record, and the bounty-hunter's license, lingering over that one, before handing them back.

"Well, good luck to you ma'am." he said, "Tell me, you after any warrants here?"

"You guys issuing any?" she asked, "I haven't traced any fugitives to Caldarium, but if you have a tip, I can pay."

"No tips." he replied.  "you'll need to lock up the sidearm though."

She sighed, and took her pistol belt off.  He produced an armored box with a number and key marked 'Amnesty'.  "You'll get it back when you leave."

"I understand."

He laid her weapon in its holster in the box, locked it, and handed her a claim-chit.  "Don't lose this."

"I won't."  she pocketed the claim-chit. 

the streets off the port were clean, the paving had been restored recently, and she almost missed the public transit vehicle, something else that had not been here two years ago.

Mentally, she calculated the material and manpower costs and they didn't add up unless the planet had stumbled into a considerable amount of wealth really recently.

The bus was clean, and in good working order, the driver was friendly, and his german was fairly good.  but something did not add up.

she got off the bus at a hostel that had been here on her last trip through-at the time of that trip, she'd been following leads on a raid by Pirates from Oberon IV, and she'd seen the aftermath of their 'supply stop'.

The buildings had sun-faded paint, unmarked, the damage and scars of raids were completely erased. Caldarium City was in the kind of shape you only see deep in a Great House's borders on worlds that haven't been raided in generations.

Safe worlds.

the population openly watched her, but it wasn't a hostile watching, more like the interested looks one gets in those picturesque towns on worlds like Tharkad, or Tamar.

it felt off.  she couldn't put a finger on why.

The cashier at her hostel accepted Kroner, with a smile, and rang her up on a computer that would cost more than the building in most of the Inner Sphere.

tech improvements. small ones, but telling.

"Thank you.  Room 3-7." the man at the cashier station told her.

The elevator worked.

Alicia laid her C-bag on the bed, and looked the room over.

Fresh paint on the walls, the window's shutters were also freshly maintained, the glass was not pocked or scarred. the view showed clean, neat, orderly streets, no debris, no flat surface left to degrade.  even alleyways had lighting.

cameras.

There was a terminal in this room.  Keyboard was clearly marked out in Qwerty format, the numbers not worn away by age or use, and it lit immediately when she sat down.

Belter network, or at least, our style. she paged through menus that included business listings, entertainment sites, and personal net-pages.  this is new.

somehow, the population of Caldarium had the leisure time to devote to building a network presence.  No raids, at least for months if not years.  she paged through business pages advertising services.

Lots of personal computers...  that stood out.  Personal computers are a luxury in the Inner Sphere, never mind the Periphery.

She found a local exchange, businesses offering fees for services, farmers looking for export transport.  more of them than she'd ever seen on a world this small.

Her browsing was interrupted by a knock on her door.

Alicia frowned, her hackles were tingling, "Yes?"

the knock came again, she walked up to the peep-hole on her door.

a tall man with graying hair and an open, friendly face stood on the other side, waiting patiently with someone else.  Alicia cautiously opened the door a crack.

"Captain Li? I represent some people who would very much like to speak with you on a business matter." he said, "My name is Leo Watkins.  May we come in?"

she unlatched the chain, and opened the door.

He stepped in, with a tall woman who could star in a holoporn as the Steiner Dominatrix.

"Please, have a seat?" she asked.  "What kind of cargo are you interested in shipping with me?"

The blonde closed the door.

"We're actually interested in your other business." he said.

"I don't do assassination or kidnapping, I'm a licensed officer of the court-"

"That's the one, 'Officer'." the woman said, "We want to contact the Kowloon Coast Guard, it's a matter of some importance."

Alicia felt her stomach drop out.  "excuse me? You must have me mistaken-"

"No mistake." the man, 'Leo' said.  "Trust me when I tell you, you want to listen to us.  Our principles would move on this, except that it could be highly disruptive, and we really prefer to maintain some security until we're fully established."

the jigsaw pieces fell together.  "You're the group that took out Morrison's Extractors." she said.

the Blonde smiled.  "Yes. Our organization is working on a long-term plan of improvement here in the Periphery states.  You may have noticed some of the benefits here on Caldarium."

"Why contact me?" she asked.

"Because we would like to work with your agency, Miss Li. it is known to us."

Alicia shook her head, "The Guard hasn't been openly operating for a generation, hell, it was shut down six years ago except for the fire stations on the south continent..I think you've read too many old reports."

"You would be surprised how current we are." the blonde said.  "Our organization wishes to enter into a cooperation with yours.  we have a lot to offer, and you have a lot to gain, and very little to lose."

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #205 on: 17 December 2019, 09:44:27 »
Hmm, your private little war is not so private anymore, hmm?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #206 on: 17 December 2019, 10:08:31 »
Blackjack School of Combat, same time...

"...Dad's proud of you."  Leutnant Patrick Ngo said, clasping his brother on the shoulder, "He graduated from Blackjack, I think I was the big disappointment for going to the Nagelring instead.  it's a good family tradition, Blackjack's a good school."

"Blackjack was the only one that would accept me!" Henry said bitterly.

"Not everything is academics, Hank. There are a lot of really good officers who've come out of this academy, including our father, besides, it's close to home."

Henry let the Academy approved tailor move his arm to a raised position for the fitting.  "How's our sister?" he asked.

"Oh, she's still in her sulk." Patrick said,  "Our Grandfather's influence, or dad says." Patrick speculated.  "I managed to get her to let up for a couple weeks last leave, but this makes the sixth boarding school she's been kicked out of.  guess what for this time?"

"um...last time, right after grandfather died, it was for refusing to speak anything but Vietnamese, Hebrew, or H'mong."

"Bullying." Patrick said.  "apparently our little sister, petite, frail little Elizabeth was beating up a boy two years older and nearly thirty kilos heavier, made him eat dirt in the playground for calling her a foul name."

"She's eleven...what did he call her?"

"I believe the report from the school was...'cappie bitch'.  The guy was from the Davion side, at Groningen because his parents were transferred to the Lyran side."  Patrick said, "He was suspended, she was expelled...again.  Mom's talking about home-schooling with a tutor."

"Gawd, that reminds me of going to Groningen, except the bullies called me a 'secret drac'." Henry chuckled, earning a sharp look from the tailor.

"Yeah, but you didn't make the oldest son of a Davion General eat dirt off the playground for it." Patrick said, "I have pictures..."

"NO? share?" Henry insisted, "after the fitting, I wanna see those."

"I have the report Hank, it's hilarious.  Mom was horrified, dad...Well, when I sent him the letter and vid file, he wrote back that she reminds him of Aunt Thanh when she was  a kid."

"Aunt Thanh...that's uncle Truk's widow?" Henry said, "I think I met her once."

"Nope, that's Dad's half-sister, the Rockjack, Uncle Truk's widow was Aunt Margat, she lives on Main Street now."

"Oh...right...she's been gone for a long time now...her ship's still missing?"

"AFFC checked out their last known coordinates, they think it might be a misjump, since none of the pirates in range have it and it hasn't shown up in any of the known periphery worlds in range.  and you did meet her, when Lizzie was born, she joined the family at granddad's to attend the christening."

"Oh...right...damn, hardly remember that."

"You were five, Hank. I'm still amazed you remember it at all.  Aunt Thanh's ship was doing cargo runs out on the Davion side periphery around the Taurian areas, then one day..poof. gone."

"You know, it would funny." Henry said, "if Lizzie wound up a pilot, instead of following dad into battlemechs."

"you might change your mind after you see that video.  I'm betting she'll try to go civil admin or infantry-she wants to take over the firm when she grows up."

"Not without a degree she won't." Henry predicted, "Lizzie has to stop getting kicked out of schools first."

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: 17 December 2019, 10:16:13 »
"You were five, Hank. I'm still amazed you remember it at all.  Aunt Thanh's ship was doing cargo runs out on the Davion side periphery around the Taurian areas, then one day..poof. gone."

This would be the one from 'And Somehow A Most Melancholy'? Has she run into Wolvies too?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #208 on: 17 December 2019, 10:31:29 »
This would be the one from 'And Somehow A Most Melancholy'? Has she run into Wolvies too?

erm...yes.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #209 on: 17 December 2019, 10:50:28 »
After fitting and paperwork is done, transitional barracks, Blackjack school of combat.

the screen lit up.

"oh god, she's so small..."  Luke Welch, who'd been here since June waiting to start classes, observed.

"Nah, he's just that big, watch." Henry said.

n the screen, the small girl is pushed, and they hear the boy doing the pushing saying something a bit more racial and insulting than the official 'cappie bitch' listed in the discipline file.

Lizzie turns around, and she's suddenly climbing the much larger boy, clawing and screaming invective, she somehow manages to get up under his arms, kicking his groin with one foot while slamming her forehead into his nose and mouth, repeatedly.

Shelly Carver, another incoming freshman shakes her head as the fight goes on on screen.  "It's like watching an Urbanmech mauling an Atlas...this is your little sister, Henry?"

Liz on screen has come around the larger boy's back, still climbing him like a set of exercise bars, he trips trying to get away and she rides him down to the ground....

"eat it!! Eat the dirt you [indecipherable string of invective] EAT IT!!"

the bigger boy's whimpers are clearly audible, and his friends are staring in shock at the edges of the video.  she seems to relent, and comes up, blood covering her forehead and running down to her chin.

"Don't worry, that's not hers." Henry says knowingly.

"One at a time or all together, I will fight you!! come at me you [edited]!!!"

"My god...that's a tooth, isn't it? on the ground there, in the blood puddle."

"Where?" Shelly asked, leaning in to get a closer look, "ew..."

"and that, ladies and gents, is why my little sister was kicked out of her fourth boarding school in two years."  Henry said proudly.

the door banged shut, and the Cadet Training NCO walked up, "Run that again, ja? this is a teachable moment."

Henry stiffened, but rewound, then set the play on half-speed.  all commentary from the gathered cadets-in-waiting was silenced by the presence of actual cadre.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight." the Sergeant stated when it finished, "It's the fight in the dog.  I expect each and every one of you to show that kind of Kampfgheist, or fighting spirit..." he fixed his cold one-eyed gaze on Henry, "Especially you, Ngo.  You've got family tradition here, and you'd best be able to show me and the rest of the staff that kind of inner fight and drive to prevail."

"Yes sir."

« Last Edit: 17 December 2019, 10:56:51 by Cannonshop »