Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 141208 times)

croaker

• Lieutenant
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #390 on: 30 December 2019, 11:39:02 »
It sounds like after her initial hop Liz's "shuttle" rode commercial jumpships the rest of the way.  At most paying for messages and the jumpships to wait a few hours each to let her ride them.

Yes and no. What I saw -- or thought I saw -- was Liz using a Colonial jump drive to hop from one ship to the next that happened to be going in the right direction, but might not necessarily be in the same system. So a partial command circuit, mostly coincidental, with the missing links made up for by the Colonial drive.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #391 on: 30 December 2019, 11:49:38 »
Right... someone's going to do the math and realize it all went a little more quickly than conventionally possible...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #392 on: 30 December 2019, 13:25:44 »
Continued

Elizabeth watched the Leutnant hurry back into the Logistics administration building.  "What did you say to him?" The Gina asked Liz.

"I'm honestly not sure." Liz said, "I'm winging this, but the suggestion that a Duchess might know Duke Kell probably had some influence on his actions."

"Do you know him?"

"met him once, here on Arc Royal right after mom was transferred he checked in on her and they talked business in the sitting room.  I doubt he remembers me, it was like forty seconds.  But Gina, there are three kinds of Authority."

"Three?"

"Positional authority, a Duke, a Baron, a military officer, right? someone with a legal position.  There's conditional authority which ranges from special skills to things like gender...and then, there's assumed authority, which is exactly how much power you can get people to assume you have, even if you don't have position or condition on your side." she spoke quietly so the enlisted at the checkpoint weren't keeping up.  she also spoke in Vietnamese in case they were listening in.  "I used a combination here-positional and conditional in that I'm a Duchess and a woman, but you guys helped me sell the idea I'm more powerful than I am, so mostly assumed authority."

"How?" Jack asked.

"You're imposing and she's a supermodel." Liz answered, "There's an impression that someone like me, surrounded by beautiful people and armed guards, is probably more powerful than the typical noble, or more important than their title suggests.  it's why Maggie Doons wears ball-gowns and thousand kroner hair styles in every public appearance, and has those fitness model men hanging from her arm when she goes to court.  it projects the impression of power.  has nick gotten anywhere?"

"he has found a discrepancy in the shipping manifest.  He wants to know if you wish to send Sharon to verify it?"

"Tell Sharon to have one of the staffers go verify, tell Nick to cover it up and stand by...and we're live."  she said as the Lt. General Kristobel, AFFC Quartermaster, was coming down the wheelchair ramp as fast as he could without looking like he's hurrying.

"Hello Herr Generalleutnant.  there is a problem." Elizabeth said it using the same tone she'd seen Maggie Doons use with an orderly during that terrible time that Penny was dying.  "Your supplies are not reaching the units that have ordered them.  I am here to see that this is corrected and that this supply centre returns to the level of efficiency that it maintained while my mother was in command here."

"I assure you, you are mistaken." he said, and Liz studied his posture.  he believes it? I think he does. "Which unit?"

"The 23rd Arcturan Guard." Elizabeth enunciated, still using German. 

"You can't be serious!"

"I am very serious. there are several hundred tons of ammunition that have for some reason not left the dock, though the paperwork was signed off as if it had.  I will see this corrected as I've already paid for the replacement."  she glowered and projected.

"She is quite serious.  I do her caring, and make her jokes." Jack said it as if doing an aside in a stage play. in english, which triggered a corporal to nervously crack up.  the offended look on Gina's face at the Centurion's inappropriate humor was something Liz didn't see.

but she didn't care.  it got Kristobel's attention on the Cylon, and he looked thoroughly intimidated.

"We will first verify your records, and then we will verify your docks and warehouses." Elizabeth continued, "Once the defect has been confirmed, we will discuss correction.  There is a war on, soldiers are fighting and dying.  You should be quite certain by now, I take that very very seriously.  Those we represent will not take loafing or incompetence well, but malfeasance they will take even less well."

Kristobel gave some orders, and a two-ton light transport truck modified with the staff-car body arrived.  His driver goggled at Jack as the four of them boarded the truck and rode to the transit warehouses.

It took fifteen minutes to find the consignment that was nine days late.

Elizabeth checked the paperwork, having learned that from watching her mother as a small child.

"This is unacceptable, mein Herr." she said.  "When was the last time you conducted an audit?"

"We've been so very busy..." Kristobel stammered.

"Fix this." she shook the digital padd under his nose.  "Busy is no excuse for slacking.  you are an officer in the Lyran Commonwealth, we're good at moving supplies, we Lyrans.  I recommend you conduct an internal audit and remind your personnel that while it is nice to assume a task is done and go out to the brothels and the bars after work, a drunken orgy is not so nice, as a job properly seen to.  I will be reporting this to your superiors."

"A job properly done is quite nice. very satisfying." Jack rejoined, allowing his vocoder to drop a pitch and become threatening.

Lt. General Kristobel got the hint.  "please...I can correct this."

"Correct it, do not allow it to happen again." Liz admonished, "The next visitor may not be so...understanding and kind as I am."

Gina was quiet through the whole thing, as they returned to the Groves dock, picked up Nick and Sharon, and left the base for the Ngo Industries facility.

"You're going to report it?" she finally asked.

"Yes." Elizabeth said, "We've got imagery and audio.  it's all going to be sent to someone with influence who has even less tolerance for slackers than I do."

"who is that?"

they rounded the bend off-post, and there was a military-style vehicle with the symbol of the Kell Hounds on the doors.

"Oh, probably Morgan Kell." Elizabeth stated, "He apparently heard I was in town.  I may be in some trouble for this stunt."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #393 on: 30 December 2019, 13:30:43 »
Not so much "trouble", as "please explain exactly how you pulled this off"...  ^-^

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #394 on: 30 December 2019, 13:31:01 »
"Punish her? I want to hire her."

ooooh this needs a AU all its own, a Liz with Dragoon/Clan editing to fix
the Cholmanns, and Hanse surviving his heat attack
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #395 on: 30 December 2019, 13:44:44 »
I do believe I'd pay to read something like that...  ;D

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #396 on: 30 December 2019, 14:18:04 »
well in one version of the Ngo timeline, liz attended the Academy the Dragoon's were running, took a course focused on logistics and strategic command. basically a "how to run a merc unit as a REMF" course.

i don't think that clan genetics tech can cure her though.. for one, their tech is mostly about editing the genetic sequences of the donor DNA prior to combination and implanting into an Ovum. altering the genetics of anything more than a single cell is a lot harder to pull off and has a lot more potential for nasty side effects.
plus the clans lack the condition because they basically removed the genetic 'triggers' for it from their genepool via a combination of editing the source genomes of the warriors, and social darwinism policies for the other castes that ensure that anyone with the condition never survives to breed.

and i'm not sure that cylon tech is up to the task.. while the human models were the creation of fairly advanced genetic science, it is clear that they don't have that knowledge themselves, since otherwise their efforts to cross humans and humanoform-cylons would have used a lot less primitive methodology and been more successful.

i'm curious how soon it will be before the cylon secret is out.. you have centurions running around in public on kowloon and now arc royal (late model ones at that, which don't really look like battlesuits, especially the joints.) and liz just demonstrated a jump capable small craft to a whole string of merchants between kowloon and arc royal.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #397 on: 30 December 2019, 14:50:01 »
[out of story]

Weird question for you guys, but who would you cast for the following:

Nicole Minh
Seether
Linda Sithers (young)
Elizabeth Ngo (Teen)
Evelynn Mosovich (Pre-and-post injury).

and for voice acting talent:

Nick "The Cylon" Chopper
Jack "The Cylon" Slash
Chloe (both as a desk-set, and as the AI of the rebuilt Nueva Pueblo)
SLS Nike

I have some personal ideas-like thinking that Claudia Black would be an OUTSTANDING Evelynn, and before I stole her, Daphne Rowe was basically intended to look like the chick who played Rose Tyler in the Doctor Who series.

But I'm kinda curious what you guys think.

[/out of story]
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #398 on: 30 December 2019, 15:06:00 »
Hmmm...

The only one I have a solid picture of in my mind is Seethers and for some reason I see Ming-Na Wen.  Yeah I don't fully get it either.

But trying to make a few stabs at the others.

Evelyn I might go for a bit of an unknown actress and go for Ellie Chidzey(Lux the Barbarian in the not completely terrible D&D movie).

Voice talent wise I'd seriously consider Tara Strong for Chloe.

Nick and Jack I'd be tempted to go Phil Lamar.

Nike is tough.  Maybe Nancy Cartwright?

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #399 on: 30 December 2019, 15:25:29 »
Continued
Lt. General Kristobel got the hint.  "please...I can correct this."

"Correct it, do not allow it to happen again." Liz admonished, "The next visitor may not be so...understanding and kind as I am."

Did we just get a Vader reference here? :thumbsup:

"You're going to report it?" she finally asked.

"Yes." Elizabeth said, "We've got imagery and audio.  it's all going to be sent to someone with influence who has even less tolerance for slackers than I do."

"who is that?"

they rounded the bend off-post, and there was a military-style vehicle with the symbol of the Kell Hounds on the doors.

"Oh, probably Morgan Kell." Elizabeth stated, "He apparently heard I was in town.  I may be in some trouble for this stunt."

It feels to me this could work as an answer for both "Who is that" and "Who Liz is going to report the cluster ****** to"

And I don't think Morgan is going to be as credulous to the "Life support frame" story for the Centurions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #400 on: 30 December 2019, 15:31:04 »
For Jack, I can only hear one voice: Ryan Reynolds!  :D

For Nick, I think Chris Evans could work (yes, I just saw Knives Out).

You didn't ask, but for Commodore Li, I'd totally go with Michelle Yeoh.  I personally picked her image as an Explorer Corps JumpShip Captain before she was picked up for that Star Trek thing.

For Chloe: Margot Robbie.

For Nike: Dame Judi Dench.

Out of ideas for the moment...

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #401 on: 30 December 2019, 15:36:14 »
Jack... Johnny Depp.

Nike.... Claudia Christian.

Chloe... Sarah Michelle Gellar

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #402 on: 30 December 2019, 15:49:13 »
Ngo Distribution, Arc Royal...

There aren't a lot of people who are true living legends.  One of them was sitting in the office as Elizabeth walked in.

"Your Grace, sir." she greeted him.

Morgan Kell is a legend.  The exploits of he,and his late brother, are still having holoshows made, he's in every textbook that covers the last fifty years.  Cousin to the Archon, Lord of Arc Royal, master of what is unarguably the best privately-owned military in the Inner Sphere.

"Elizabeth!" He smiled.  oh shit this is bad. that was her first instinct.  "Welcome back to Arc Royal, you should have called."

"I needed to move fast, sir." she stammered, "Not a lot of time, didn't think it would offen-"

his face turned serious, "I'm not offended." he told her, "You went to the AR supply site, and made yourself a little tornado, solved a problem I didn't even know was going on.  That's not offensive, that's Patriotic.  I'm kind of curious though-aren't you supposed to be on kowloon?"

"I was in the neighborhood?" she cautioned.

"Strange.  Listen, I've got a manufacturing problem you could maybe help me out with. it's a spot of good luck you're here and I don't have to do the office-worker shuffle, or spend the money to message you directly."

"Let's have a look." came out of her mouth. 

He laid out a series of blueprints.

"That is a fusion engine." Elizabeth said, "we make tools for building them, but...are you asking for a subcontractor to produce them, or tooling to manufacture them?"

"I'm interested in production, Liz." he said, "XL fusion engines run the costs through the roof, I can line up materials suppliers, but manufacturing some of the parts to convert from standard to this lighter configuration hammers my bottom line, a couple of my accountants have suggested we might be able to manufacture the conversion kits for less than the price the Commonwealth is importing them from the Free Worlds."

Liz frowned, she hadn't prepared for this.  "Gina?  I need a cost and materials breakdown for a fusion engine factory, based on the tooling GM procured two years ago from the Camp John plant.  set the markup to industry standard so we've got a baseline for negotiating the price on this bid."

"that's not going to be cheap." Morgan said.

"As the call girl said, 'good service isn't cheap, cheap service isn't good'." Liz countered, "we can negotiate, and I have room to reduce costs, but not a lot.  I've got sixteen service contracts in Davion space that I wound up with because one of my executives was incompetent and the customer didn't bother to negotiate, and then I've got the contracts my family's had since before I was born to maintain...but I think I can solve your manufacturing problem, if the price is right."

"It comes out to fifty two point five million, not including setup." Gina announced.

Before Morgan could react, Liz said, "what about with setup? and training the operating and maintenance crew?"

"Um...seventy two point one million."

"That's...not as bad as I expected." Morgan said.  "It's expensive, don't get me wrong...but not as heavy as I expected.  I can offer you sixty."

Elizabeth sighed.  "I can let you put a quarter down on signing, and we can work out a scaled completion cycle, but I can't go below seventy for the entire thing unless you can front the construction on the facility itself."

"I can do that.  How much will that cut your bid to?"

"Sixty five?" she asked, "I can't go lower and still make payroll and materials, sorry."

"I get that.  sixty five is acceptable, quarter down, half down on completion, Quarterly until it's paid off but... if you'll go to sixty-two, I can guarantee a per-unit royalty on the engines themselves."

"Five percent?" she asked.

"That's reasonable." he agreed.

They shook hands.

it took Gina very little time to draw up the contract, after both Duke and Duchess examined it, papers were signed.

"It's nice to go straight to the source." Morgan told her.

"thanks." Elizabeth said.

"I'm hosting a get-together tonight, if you've got time?" he asked, "Mostly suppliers and a few clients, you might be able to do some more business..."

"I'll be there."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #403 on: 30 December 2019, 16:03:20 »
LOL!  He let her off light...  ;D

And sure, she'll be there... AFTER a shopping trip!  :D

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #404 on: 30 December 2019, 16:15:50 »
LOL!  He let her off light...  ;D

And sure, she'll be there... AFTER a shopping trip!  :D

At least they're not on Tharkad. A Lady's shopping trip to the capitol can get... expensive.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #405 on: 30 December 2019, 16:33:19 »
Gina and Sharon can help her shop!

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #406 on: 30 December 2019, 16:36:22 »
Gina and Sharon can help her shop!

They even have the requisite Imposing Bodyguard With A Sharp Object.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #407 on: 30 December 2019, 16:45:58 »
At least they're not on Tharkad. A Lady's shopping trip to the capitol can get... expensive.

Just don't do it on Barrayar, the prices for Winterfair Gifts are a killer. >:D

ISTM Morgan passed off any toe stepping as worth it for Liz to straighten out things.  And besides the whole being able to secure a tooling contract in an afternoon on what amounts to a handshake deal that is written up the same day?

Well this shows Liz's idea of customer service when it impacts her company and the realm.  Though given how far back Katrina Steiner and Morgan Kell go, and that means he likely knows Melissa well?  This could also be a bit of political maneuvering and payback for ****** up on Kowloon.

"We need those new fusion engines, and are better off producing them locally over importation where possible.  Helping to back Morgan on this and pointing him at Ngo Industries for the tooling?  Just gets the money to someone I know will deliver on time and with no more than a reasonable markup, including graft.  Or rather no graft given what she's done."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #408 on: 30 December 2019, 18:52:11 »
since the Arc Royal mechworks (or "Eire MechWorks of Arc-Royal") in that timeframe is just a repair and modification facility, i'm guessing the XL's are wanted for doing depot refits of Mercenary and Lyran mechs to upgraded models.
but if they get an XL production facility going, even if just producing conversion kits, they'll be able to afford upgrading to a full mech production facility a little earlier than in the canon. (in canon it took the help of the Wolves-in-Exile. something tells me that a Cy-lon technologies/Ngo Enterprises teamup will do a better faster job.. though when the WiE do arrive i think Morgan can expect his maintenance contracts to get more complicated)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #409 on: 30 December 2019, 19:47:31 »
that means he likely knows Melissa well?

he is cousin and godfather to Melissa iirc
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #410 on: 30 December 2019, 20:18:14 »
That Evening, Kell Estate, Old Connaught, Arc Royal...

Liz accepting the invitation ended up costing money.  She, Sharon, and Gina wasted a few hours in town at a Clothier's boutique, the tall blonde Cylon having found the best, though not most expensive, place on the planet.  as a result, Elizabeth exited the company van flanked by two women dressed to the nines.

For her own part, Liz had settled on her 'signature' after Penny's funeral.  the cut of the blazer was less business, and the skirt was asymmetrical, showing a bit of leg, and her blouse was silk instead of linen, but it it was her trademark black-over-white, devoid of decorations, and almost the inverse of the typical upper class fashions.

aside from a sash displaying her family's livery, she looked like the secretary, while her staffers looked like the nobles.

Elizabeth made up for it, by being flanked by the Centurions.  a visit to the paint-shop on-site and a few minutes of polishing and metal treatment, and both Nick and Jack gleamed like three meter lethal diamonds, their insignia had been 'enhanced' and the clear-coat was as perfect as the service department could make it.

"I know this is boring, guys." Liz said, as Jack extended his hand and helped her out of the vehicle.  "It's business."

"I'm fine with it." Jack said, adding "you look good."

she smirked a little. "Thanks."

the Centurions flanked her, a miniature army, with Gina and Sharon  forming her vanguard, and they walked up the carpet to the manor-house.

"The equipment needs to stay outside."  the guard said.

"that's good, I didn't bring any." Elizabeth said, "This is Jack, and this is Nick, they're my chaperones.  Gina and Sharon are dear friends and faithful employees, and perhaps you should ask your boss if he wants to piss me off by mistreating my employees, neh?"

as if by a magic trick, Morgan Kell appeared at the man's elbow, "Harvey, they're fine."

"As you say sir." the man looked down at Elizabeth, "Please enjoy your evening, Your Grace."

"I'm sure I will." Elizabeth said, and led her team through the doors in the company of the Duke of Arc Royal.

"I heard the cockamamie story about the allergies." he said, "What's the real deal here, Elizabeth?"

"Complex." she said, "Or simple, but complex ramifications.  It's enough that Nick and Jack really are citizens, and employees of mine. I expect them to be treated with the same respect as anyone else, and I won't settle for less."

"Fascinating."  He said, while acknowledging other guests.  "The armor, it doesn't come off, does it?"

"It would be exceptionally unhealthy to either of them to have the armor taken off." she answered.

"Part of your investment in medical prosthetics?" He inquired.

"Derived technology from that, yeah." she stated.  "We're still working on it."

"With your mysterious partner."

"Yes, actually."

He scooped a pair of long-stemmed glasses, "don't worry, it's non-alcoholic..." he passed her one of the glasses.

she accepted, while she noted that Gina and Sharon were doing the job here-mingling, chatting up various guests.

"Will you be entering a battle-suit into the trials next year based on some of that?" he asked.

"and compete with my best potential customers?" she shook her head.  "No, I'll be bidding to get the tooling contracts for the winners, and maybe the runners-up."

"It can't hurt that you've got your boys on display." he acknowledged, "Proves you can handle the manufacturing."

"that's the idea." she said, "I can produce the necessary tooling, so it will make lots of sense for whoever submits the winning designs to go with my firm for their tooling up."

"How did you get here so fast?" Morgan asked, "I have...sources that had you ON Kowloon, meeting with Daphne Rowe last night."

Elizabeth drew in a breath, "I have a staff." she said, "who can read schedules, and have contacts with half a dozen shippers who owe me money and are on contract to support various parts of the war effort.  it's nothing magical, I just knew where to catch a ride, and had enough leverage to demand one.  by using a small shuttle instead of a full dropship, I was able to hitch rides faster than a command circuit would have allowed.  Li knew the routes and had a list of ships, we timed it for when and where there were convoys."

"So just good planning and decent luck...I'll have to try that sometime."

"It's really very handy to have shippers that owe you money before you do. Otherwise the ticket costs are astronomical." she advised, "as it was, it cost me ten thousand kroner per hour to pull that stunt, about 120,000 Kroner all told."

he whistled low, "That's the lift cost for a single 'mech company doing a single jump."

"Isn't it." she sipped her glass.  Lemonade. 

She could see Lady Salome speaking with Gina, across the room.  Nearby, Sharon was speaking with a Kell Hound wearing pilot's wings on her dress uniform, they were clearly talking about flying, with emphatic hand-gestures.

"I think you might want to save your wife from my distribution manager, sir." Elizabeth suggested, "Gina can sell vacuum to rockjacks and leave them smiling and broke."

he chuckled, "stay out of trouble, Elizabeth."

once his back was to her and he was heading across the ballroom, Liz pulled a prescription bottle from her pocket, rolled three tabs out onto her palm, and swallowed them, then turned to prowl the edges of the party until she spotted Edward Hanlin sitting across from Max Haranshire of Lockheed CBM.

she decided to keep this a business event, and approached them.

"...unreasonable production request. I swear they're trying to break me."  Haranshire was saying.

"gentlemen." she sat down, Nick and Jack flanking her seat like guards.

"Elizabeth Ngo! we start talking problems and here you are." Hanlin said.

"I was in the neighborhood." she said, "What's the trouble? maybe I can help solve it?"

"I heard the Bradfords went with Krupp for the plant expansion on Hesperus." Hanlin noted.

"Krupp's an okay firm, I'm not sure they're a good fit." Elizabeth said, "but they're cheap.  Expensive, but cheap...or maybe better to say, I think they're probably going to cost the Bradfords more than the bid we submitted once the delays and maintenance gets counted in."

"you'd say that anyway." Haranshire noted, "You're competing with them."

"Ain't I just?"  she leaned forward, "Seriously, what's the problem, Max? do I need to go to our offices  and break some manager's legs?"

"We're getting orders for increased production on the new Furillo line, the problem is, capacity."

"That's a new specialty for us." she said, "send the specs and a suggested bidding range in the morning.  I might not have Comstar money subsidizing me to undercut my competitors like Krupp does, but my family's firm and Lockheed have a long running, excellent relationship and you know we're reliable."

she turned her gaze to Hanlin, "How are the new nanomesh weavers working out?"

"I have no complaints." He said.

"That's good to hear." she smiled.

"You killed two men in public, Elizabeth, that may cause some problems with my board, if we favor your company over your competitors on Earth.  I know that had a negative impact in your Bradford negotiation for the Hesperus II expansion."

"Would they be influenced if I showed that one of the men I killed was responsible for the three month delay on one of your programs?" she asked.

"It might...what happened?"

"He sold out of both sides of his face-Boeing at Galax and your contract, then diverted product meant for delivery to Lockheed to Boeing." she told him, "this in addition to outright stealing, and skimming.  You may have noticed the reduced invoices on the large fusion casting apparatuses?"

"You inserted a discount."

"For both the delay, and the insult that caused it.  I'm charging Boeing roughly twice the amount deducted from your bill as punitives, and to preserve profits for properly Lyran customers."

Hanlin laughed.  "I knew it! you're your Grandfather's child!!"

"I do what I can." she said.  "Contact our contracts department with your needs, Max, we'll fix you up well."

"is your firm ever going to get into weapons, Elizabeth?" Max asked.

"No." Liz said, "we've got Groves, but they're actually more of a 'we helped you start' situation, once they pay their note off, they're going to be fully independent.  I can't afford to be in competition with my customers, and I prefer to invest in my core business."

"See? I told you!" Hanlin said with another jovial laugh, swirling his amber cognac, "The girl sounds more like her grandfather every minute!"

"I am investing more capital into venture start-ups though." she said.  "It's a fascinating game, find someone with ambitious ideas but no money, give them the money to put those dreams into action, and reap rewards..or lose the money while collecting the assets for reallocation."

"Predatory." Max said, "I can respect that."

"I have long term plans." Liz said, "but going into the armaments business directly isn't among them."

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #411 on: 30 December 2019, 20:19:41 »
for the voice of Nike... I always her Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova in my head

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #412 on: 30 December 2019, 20:27:19 »
Holding her own, I see... I guess the data feeds haven't gotten to Arc Royal yet with the details of WHY she publicly executed those two... individuals...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #413 on: 30 December 2019, 21:00:44 »
Holding her own, I see... I guess the data feeds haven't gotten to Arc Royal yet with the details of WHY she publicly executed those two... individuals...
sensationalism moves faster than facts. that she executed two nobles for economic crimes like embezzlement and mismanaging the planet probably is out. but she probably kept some of the finer details, like the 'creative redistribution' that was going on, out of the media and under wraps. the public doesn't need to know that one of Hanse's political appointees was stealing from the lyran state to enrich davion family members and their corporations. i'm sure it'll get out eventually (after all, the business side of how she responded can hardly be hidden, or the fact that the hardware those comapanies were using and needed Ngo Inc help to unfrak was listed as stolen) but by the time the actual facts get out, the media will have found something else to focus on, and the nobility ought to have found out the broad facts if not specific via word of mouth.)

i wonder if Liz will write a report of all the methods Condit and co. used to frak over kowloon, and send it to Hanse with a note about her suspicions about such things being common on wagonwheel. if MIIO can clean house on a few FedSuns outback worlds using Kowloon's experiance, it ought to help make her actions a little less sour to the Steiner-davions. (and given that in canon once Wagonwheel tosses out its nobility to form the Filtvelt Collective during the Jihad, they grow into a major economic and industrial power house, that would certainly suggest that some Condit level schemes are going on.)
« Last Edit: 30 December 2019, 21:06:52 by glitterboy2098 »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #414 on: 30 December 2019, 21:23:51 »
  Backing up a little: the Generalleutnant should thank his lucky stars that the problem turned out to be run-of-the-mill sloppiness.  If it turned out someone had been stealing ammunition bound for an AFFC front-line unit in the middle of a shooting war, Liz probably could’ve walked through that depot headcapping every third person she saw and Hanse would’ve said “Yup, that’s what you get.  If you steal bullets from my troops, I will not stop Elizabeth Ngo from Coming Over There.”

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #415 on: 30 December 2019, 21:29:54 »
please. Liz wouldn't have been shooting anyone. She has nick and jack for that, and they'd probably not see a point in wasting bullets on idiots when their claws will do just fine.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #416 on: 30 December 2019, 21:30:33 »
Just promise me Nike isn't going to start reciting poems by Robert Frost: I don't think I could take it a second time...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #417 on: 30 December 2019, 21:40:58 »
Elizabeth Ngo could become the Miles Vorkosigan of the Federated Commonwealth.  She can troubleshoot the corruption and have her brute squad be the tech support to find all the evidence!   ;D

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #418 on: 30 December 2019, 21:57:07 »
Later that night on Arc Royal...

"How did we do?" Liz asked on the way back to the Ngo Industries site.

"Four contracts on the edge of signatures for Cy-Lon Enterprises." Sharon announced, "upgrading corporate data networks, I was repeatedly asked about Jack and Nick."

"You didn't make any promises, did you?" Liz asked, "we're not going into the slavery business. Not on my watch."

"Of course not!" Sharon said, "I'm really surprised every time you do that..."

"Do what?"

"well...'They're not equipment', or 'They're citizens'..."

"They are." Elizabeth said uncomfortably, "You two are, for that matter..."

"You are being a little excessive." Gina said.

"Aww, We think it's cute." Jack said.  "She treats machines like people, and people like machines!"

"Jack..." Elizabeth huffed.

a metal hand gripped her shoulder.  "It's okay, your grace.  I think you'd make a fantastic robot...just have to teach you how." he said, "you know she works sixteen hour days, Gina?"

"that can't be healthy." Gina noted as the van crested the final hill into the site.

"For humans it isn't."

"I don't have any time." Elizabeth griped, "Sleeping is a huge waste of that time." she met Gina's eyes, "Expiration date, remember? I'm defective?  I have to get it all done and I don't have any time."

"what happens if you don't?"  Gina asked. reading Liz's expression, she added, "What happens if you don't get it all done?"

"Bad things." Elizabeth said, "I've got a couple of contingencies but I can't be sure anyone will follow through on them once I'm dead...I mean, you don't know, alright, we've lost so much we don't even have names for what's been lost, this is like the golden chance, the big ticket.  I can do something to fix it all, or at least..." she sighed, "I don't have any time.  I won't have a family, or kids, or grand-kids because I'll be dead.  I have to build a legacy that lasts."

"I don't think you're defective, Liz." Jack said, "I mean, sure, you're crammed into a defective body, and we don't know how to get you out of it, but your you? the thing that has to ride in it? your soul? totally not defective, you're just too much for the hardware to handle."

"Yeah, she's kind of like John, only not a dick." Nick chimed in, "her body isn't sufficient for the person inside it."

"you won't feel that way when the syndrome progresses." Elizabeth told him.  "I already know what's going to happen, sometime between thirty and forty, I'm going to die, insane and in agony, and that's if I don't get killed first, or kill myself, and after that, my soul will be damned."

"I don't think you're as damned as you think you are." Jack told her.  "It's too bad we don't have access to the Five, I bet they could find a way to install that lovely software of yours, in a body that isn't going to fail."

"Who are the five?"

"that information was stolen." Nick said, "it's worse for the human-forms than us, we've got a few unpurged files, we know what they can do, at least, what they did-but even the Centurions don't remember who they are or what they look like, but they created the Ginas, and the Sharons, Johns, and Leobens, even the Dorals and the Fours.  They created humaniform bodies, and placed Cylon consciousnesses into them.  if anyone could take a human from a failing bio-shell and put them into a better one, it's the Five."

Liz glanced out the window, past Jack.  "We don't have them." she said.

"We've got engineers though." Jack suggested, "And medical science.  Your myths include stories of man-machine interfaces and even consciousness transfers in the stories about the Caspar drones and Star League SDS.  if it's been done before, it can be again."

"that sounds expensive." Liz said, "we don't even have the basics to begin that scale of research, by the time we figured it out, I'd be doomed anyway."

"Like Daniel." Nick said with a tone of reverence, "She's not like John, she's like Daniel."

"Huh, you're right.  he was sabotaged, at least, that's one of the stories...he wouldn't have agreed with the attack on the Colonies, if his line had been viable." Jack said conversationally, "He wouldn't have let them put the inhibitors on us, either."

"I'm not saying it's a bad angle, but I don't know if we can even do it." Liz said.

"It would be an income stream." Gina offered.  "Advancing computerization and systems integration? I think we'll pass that to our counterparts, maybe we can develop some products to fund the research."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #419 on: 30 December 2019, 23:19:18 »
Elizabeth Ngo in a Caspar body ...  somewhere, as yet unknown to spheroid or Cylon, the McKenna's Pride develops an inexplicable precession ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"