Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 141201 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #1320 on: 31 January 2020, 18:51:31 »
At least Vaun's listening...
The price of Democracy is actually having to listen to people.

Which explains so much about the Inner Sphere...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1321 on: 31 January 2020, 18:57:16 »
Special Holding, New Circe.

"Cavil, verb, English language, to make petty, or unnecessary objections."  Cavil's visitor was a man in his thirties-or looked that way.  "interesting that someone descended from machines designed, built and programmed in pre-hellenic greek would choose such a name, would use such a name."

"Daddy, why are we here?" 

"You brought a child?" at first, Cavil was intrigued. 

"This is the face of the enemy, sweetie." the man said, bent down out of the view of the reinforced ferroglas, and lifted a small form up.

"Hi John." the girl said it brightly.

and Cavil perceived.  "another one? no...no, this...no, not possible."  not possible, not this soon.

"Amanda, why don't you go back outside with Gina and D'Anna, I need to speak with this...person."

"Yes, Poppa."

Nathan watched her leave with the Wolverine officers, then turned to face the Cylon series one in the special cell.

"She's one of the B series." he said, "Elizabeth thinks she's from the 'A' Batch, but the 'A' batch had developmental problems, Etienne made mistakes sequencing the DNA.  WE will have the secrets even you have forgotten, Cylon."

"you made her?"

"As much as any parent makes their child.  In a sense, you made her possible.  If you hadn't deceived and fractured your people, her mother would be a basket case and I would be beating some scientist-caste within an inch of his or her life to save her, but thanks to your kind I not only have a wife, I have a fine child who is more than she appears, with more potential than I had at the best moment of my life."

"She has the potential to make you obsolete."

"That was coming anyway-it's evolution, you either grow as a species, or you die, the fossil record is filled with failures, Cavil. Promising starts that only really resulted in spurring on their successors.  You will have no successors, you're fixed in this moment, but, as a great machine once said,  'Everyone creates the thing they dread, men of peace create engines of war, invaders create avengers, people create...smaller people. Children.' You have none, Cavil."

"That's insane, who-what great machine?"

"Ultron, from the twenty first century saga of Anthony Stark...classic literature, I'm surprised you haven't heard it." Nathan said with a twinkle in his eye.

"You don't know what you've created there, human!"

Roshak smiled, "Correct.  That's half the fun, getting to know them, and you can't do it.  You're an endangered species, Johnny Cavil, when we're done, you'll still be here, in this box.  an exhibit for future generations of 'this is what evil looks like', in the...flesh.  I am here to let you know, humanity is coming to finish you, because you've made yourselves obsolete.  When you network with your spy-sats, let the other Johns and Cavils know, the judgement is Annihilation."

He turned, and whistled as he left the visitor's chamber...
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1322 on: 31 January 2020, 19:06:39 »
All right... I have to actually LIKE Roshak for that move...  ;D

Derain Von Harken

• Sergeant
« Reply #1323 on: 31 January 2020, 19:15:03 »
Continuing the jade falcon tradition of awesome burns with one dramatically raised eyebrow. Now all we need is to hear cavil screaming. "Roshak! This is not over!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1324 on: 31 January 2020, 20:00:52 »
Meeting with Vaun...

"...once the radiation dies down, assuming we can end the Cylon threat, that is."

"Ambitious...what were those bombs salted with?" Liz asked carefully.

"Strontium for the most part, a few enduring energetic elements besides that."

"You realize, the inner Sphere has some experience with cleaning up radioactive fallout-kind of have to, out of four succession wars, nukes were liberaly used in three." Liz noted, "including megaton detonations on Skye itself.  I know a couple of projects and am funding at least four studies on WMD environmental cleanup."

"It may take a few weeks, but I do get copies of the UKNT Science Journal." Vaun said with a laugh, "We've done some studies based on things published there, and cross-referenced with SLDF data."

"Oh! I'm sure people back home would love to see that!"

"Huhm...you're serious."  Vaun said, "I mean, our Intel people claimed it, you just spent three hours on philosophy, but you really are serious, the whole ideology-you honestly believe it."

"Hard to believe?" Liz asked, "Consider I practically had to educate myself, I was barred from most of the institutions of higher learning by a persistent medical condition that barred me from military service.  The Academies don't take you if you're not going to wear a Uniform.  By the time I was thirteen, neither would the pre-academy schools."  She hoisted a local beer, "Here's to information-it wants to be free."

"How is that 'cure' of yours working?"

"I'm not having to shoot five milligram doses of Neuroin to get through my day to lunch." Liz said soberly, "aside from the nightmare level jump dreams and TDS, I'm off the anti-seizure medications, and I sleep...sometimes.  If I'm not too busy and Nathan can coax me to bed.  the nightmares are still a bitch, and my scars itch and hurt sometimes.  Want a secret?"

"what?"

"My daughter...she's going to be better than I was...am.  will ever be." Elizabeth said with quiet pride, "She won't have the nightmares or the trust issues, she isn't living under a blade of damocles, she will never have to deal with having an estimated expiration date, or worry about whether she can find a friend who will kill her when the pain gets too bad." she smiled as she said it, and it was a genuine smile, "My little girl will be free."

"A bit of envy there?" Vaun asked.

"MMM...more like 'damn glad'." Elizabeth said, "Wanting without trying to achieve is a waste of life-energy, that's why Envy is a sin...I have better, bigger things to envy...like being able to reach the top shelf of my kitchen without a stool.  If you're going to envy, envy the cool stuff."

at that, the Protector laughed.

"With luck, she'll get her father's height...at least a bit." Liz added, and finished the pint, "this is good stuff."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1325 on: 31 January 2020, 20:12:38 »
She's totally got him now... and that's a GOOD thing!  :thumbsup:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1326 on: 31 January 2020, 20:36:35 »
Chloe...aboard Chloe.

"...you really should consent to it, Jason, I know you hurt."  Chloe insisted. 

"We're united on this, Chloe." Riverson said, "everyone agreed-we want this timeline to play out successfully, and that means she can't know-The Captain laid it out for us before she took Testbed one out-we can't do anything that might negatively impact this timeline's future, and the best way to avoid doing that, is sequestration."

"But that isn't your real reason." Chloe sulked.

"Chloe, I don't trust myself." he admitted, "you have to understand, in my when, Elizabeth Ngo was a savior, and her daughter...wasn't."

"They're just people, Jason, your people-maybe if she knows what can happen, she can prevent it?"  Chloe stopped, "Wait, you didn't even consider that? did you? sometimes you're so ****** dense!"

he sighed, "only about people." he admitted.

"Okay, guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm making the executive decision as the senior commissioned officer aboard.  WE, meaning you, and me, are going to submit application to have the Duchess of kowloon and family come aboard this Kowloonese built vessel, and YOU, mister Science Officer, are designated liaison, and that's final.  If you have objections you can gods-damned well move back down to the surface!"

"you're not a-"

"It's a field commission, if you have a problem with my orders and conditions, Leutenant you can take it up with the Acting CGSO in the system, which is Commodore Linda Sithers, but don't think I won't get on her before you will, and if that doesn't work, I'll go through SLS Nike, who is also eager to meet them!"

"I'm not going to win this, am I?"

"I'm sure if you want to persist, your friend Singer has a couch, or Baltar has a spare workbench.  How you can love a family and yet hate them so much is beyond my clarity of understanding.  I want to interact and observe! besides..."

"You want the crew-as many of us as are left, don't you?"

"Yes.  I believe it is important.  Your people should know the stories, and about Captain Minh's sacrifice."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1327 on: 31 January 2020, 20:48:28 »
Ah, Chloe...  :smitten:

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1328 on: 31 January 2020, 21:24:45 »
New Circe Shipyard...

"We really weren't going to tell you." Protector Vaun said, as an aide brought up the lights. 

"That was for real?" Liz asked.  "in 3047??"

"Late '46." Vaun clarified.  "We recovered survivors."

"And where are my people now?" Liz asked, holding perfectly still, "And why didn't you tell me before now?"

"Because there is a lot to go over, Your Grace.  Events that led to the KCGS Nueva Pueblo III arriving here, they traveled time."

"arrived before they left, even." Liz said, "I caught that in the recording.  Some 3090 that, I'm guessing, isn't going to happen now?  I recognized some of those names, Sithers, Minh.  ******, I personally made sure Nicole Minh was in officer training school and spent a small fortune finding her parents."

"it's a different Nicole Minh than ours.  Same origin, maybe, up to about..."

"Up to about 3050." Liz said, "I got that.  The year I made contact with the Cylon Republic changed everything, didn't it?"

"Well, we were starting to change everything before then.  They were enforcing a Level Zero biohazardous quarantine across a dozen or so systems."

"Where did it start, and has it been stopped?" Nathan asked.

"Arluna, and yes." Vaun said, "we...deployed a special operations team to eliminate the source of the contagion before revealing ourselves."

"Did you get it all?" Elizabeth asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We believe so."

"belief is not proof." Liz said, "How many of my time-stranded people are still alive? can I talk to them?"

"We extracted twenty five survivors, one died fighting a wild-fire in '47, and Commander Minh...died accomplishing something extraordinary."

"I guessed she'd be extraordinary, I want it all, Protector.  Those are still my citizens.  I have a duty to them, and it sounds like I owe them the kind of debt you can't pay with a thousand fortunes, and I want the roster of the dead crew, they need to be added to the Archive back home-it's...it's part of who we are."

"I understand, Please understand, Your Grace, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops, but until now, I couldn't get their consent..."

Liz absorbed that information.  "Paradoxes." she said, "Am I correct?"

"yes. that was acting Commodore Sithers' judgement. she was only recently convinced-"

"cool, so now I have two Linda Sithers...and one I owe about sixty year's back-pay to." Liz said, "Along with the back pay for the rest of the surviving crewmen, and death benefits for their shipmates who died in the transition, plus the Martin Family needs to be told, and they're in the Metis.  You at least gave Captain Minh a christian burial in accordance with her religion?"

"We did our best." Vaun assured her.

"I want to see the graves, but first, I want to talk to the survivors.  I want to know everything."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1329 on: 31 January 2020, 22:08:46 »
Twenty two hours of reviewing documents, footage, recordings and the accident investigation later...

My god she's so young.  Not Liz.  Liz Ngo was ageless right up to the moment a Manei Domini assassin killed her during a speech on Inarcs.

Amanda.  Her Grace.  I remember what she looked like when she was five, and she's five again.  She hasn't been broken by the Quarantine, by what we had to do. 

It's jarring how innocent she is.

"Are you a cylon too?" Amanda asks me.

"Amanda! no!" Her Grace is a little put off by the question.

"Well she looks like Seeter." she says, "only...blotchy."

"That is a long story, young miss." I say, "There's another me, but we're both just humans."

"Fantastically effective, creative and competent humans." Her Grace the Duchess interjects.  "I'm going to confirm your promotion, Sithers-You are the acting Commodore for the Antispinward Operations Theater, Kowloon Coast Guard, we'll talk about how your responsibilities are going to expand later, right now, I owe you a big ****** check for your service, and an apology for not coming looking for you."

"You didn't know."

"very true, and you had ****** good reasons not to initiate contact once you knew where you were, and when...but I'm chalking that up to 'active duty temporary delay in route', you'll need to...******, I need to contact payroll.  There's also a death benefits to deal with-your spouse."

"Ma'am-"

"you signed a contract." the Duchess says, "I therefore have obligations and have gotten assurances that you have performed under extreme conditions in an exemplary manner, as soon as I've had a chance to review and interview witnesses, you're going to be standing there getting a damn rack of medals too-though I don't know of a medal for 'saving the human race and averting thirty years of absolute horror'."

My mind goes back to when I was on her detail, back in '59-60.  (ahead? ******, time travel is complicated!)

It's Elizabeth-before-the-outbreak.  That energy.  I glance at Roshak.  toward the end, he was busy propping her up.

"It's the honorable thing to do." he says with a shrug.  "I've had more time to review it than my wife-you went through the ****** of hell for all of us."

"I..." I choke up a little, "I wish Nicole were here for this..."

"We have to make do, I wish she were here too-she might explain how she passed  you on the promotion ladder in your timeline, in mine, Nicole Minh is still an Ensign and working for...well...younger you."

it's not funny, but it's hilarious.  "For real?"

"yeah. She graduated training, you wouldn't believe where we found her-"

"going to prison on Winter, for hauling pirates?" Sithers asked.

"Grand theft Starship, two counts." Her Grace tells me, "Plus smuggling and contraband.  She turned herself in after blowing her criminal boss away and sabotaging-"

"-the jump computer!"

"Yeah, it cost a lot to fix that.  Our remit's expanded, I have a full March Theater to patrol, plus liaison missions in the rest of the Federated Commonwealth, plus having to detail a Cutter Divsion to LCN, plus another Cutter Division in training for the SLDF.  Means you'll probably be getting boats out this way to help our allies, so I would need a Commodore on this end, especially a Rockjack, since only 'jacks and Belters can really tolerate the kind of duration ops necessary to service this far out.  You're a round peg for as long as you want it."  She reaches out and smooths my lapels, "It's going to be under SLDF jurisdiction, mind you.  That means you'll be reporting to the local military authority, but i can damned well make sure you've got rank commensurate to your responsibilities, and all the support we can send on a year-long transit using the kind of drives we can actually build in quantity, but you won't have to shoot down civilian ships and if you do end up in combat, it won't be to keep a quarantine going.  my big issue is going to be explaining what happened to your other self, the Linda Sithers from THIS timeline."

"Why?"

"Because I'm going to be loading her and her adjutant with a hell of a lot more work, now that I know for sure how good she can be. now, let's meet the rest of your crewmates."

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1330 on: 31 January 2020, 23:55:15 »
Reward for a good job is more work!   Too bad the younger Withers won't know the reason for the increase in responsibility.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1331 on: 01 February 2020, 04:27:13 »
That did not disappoint... thank you!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1332 on: 01 February 2020, 09:43:26 »
Hmmm... I just double checked, and Dinh lived through the fire... did someone else die that I missed?  ???

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1333 on: 01 February 2020, 10:09:04 »
Arluna...

It's not all about business.  This goes wayyy beyond business.  Doerntz is secured, I transferred him to the KCGS Tranh Truk Ngo  and Vu Dao's taking him to Stone Field under a protective detail, but his damn testimony's solid.

god-dammit.

okay, let's roll back a bunch of centuries, right?   The Rim Worlds Republic has control of this nice piece of real-estate, this one, as a matter of fact, and House Amaris is BFF with the Camerons.  We're talking before Simon Cameron.

This  used to be mining country, and the presence of subterranean structures is something you can map with ground penetrating radar.

This site isn't on the survey maps or the claim filings.  Nobody dug these tunnels for mining, nobody who was mining would line the tunnels with starslab layered with ferrocrete and a nice barrier of polymer mesh between.  It's a bunker complex, and it's deep.

Steve Doerntz' backers wanted the MacAulliffe land, because there's an unobstructed entrance hidden on a cliff face. 

Nikki Minh's my adjutant, she's also my favorite RTO.  "Got it!"

the heavy doors were pressurized with about a half millibar above ambient, enough to make a small windstorm as they open.

We're in suits, because that much time and you don't know what might've survived in a setup like this-it's like boarding protocols on an abandoned ship, everyone in environmental gear and looking for whatever mutated pathogens might have evolved in this isolation-because life always finds a way.

There might not be any human guards, but automated security measures aren't unheard of.  Bolo and Skynet take point without me having to tell them, the Centurions are up-armored models.  we advance into the facility.

Past the entry lock, it expands, and a look up shows a kind of ridiculous opulence.  Chandeliers and tapestries, tile work and marble.

aside from some minor decay, the cloth's intact in the dry atmosphere, a look down at the dusty floor, and I recognize the tile pattern.

Hard not to, really.  The Cameron Star is pretty obvious.

stands out, even.  What the hell?

We head deeper in.  There's carpet on the adjoining halls, and it's laid out like a wagon-wheel, and I've seen this before.

I just don't know where or when.

only, it's still got power, and milimeter-wave shows no tracks in the dust but us.

Offices.   living quarters, work-stations.

where have I seen this before?

We don't take the elevator, there's a stair-well in the southeast corner going down.

we take that.

It opens into the same kind of situation room we have on Spider Moon, in the traffic control areas near the surface.

Consoles laid out in a circular pattern, with an oversight office fronted with ferroglas.

The power down here is still on, and looks like the crew never left.  The bodies are dried husks in Star League uniforms.

a few bodies near the elevators aren't.  They're in Rim Worlds republic uniforms, and it looks a lot like they were trying to get out.

"samples?"

"Looks like KD-7 Nerve gas residues, boss, we need to keep the suits sealed."

I head up to the oversight office, and there's the Deck Officer.  He's got a Rim Worlds Flag on one side, and a Star League flag on the other, flanking him behind his desk.

The papers on the desk dried over the years...centuries.  I can read the dating.

"twenty-seven sixty-five..?"

RE: Field Test Materials 21B/A

Colonel Dietrich: Recall scheduled delivery of modified White Shark delivery systems associated with the 21B project, the field test on Target VC is suspended, there will be no resumption.  Sealed testing at the Bravo site indicates this program is a failure on an epic, and I truly mean epic scale.
Recall the delivery.

Further, I have made determinations:

Terminate Project 21 B social pacification airborne delivery agent.

Your research has failed to produce a non-lethal agent for mass pacification of civilian populations, and is instead one of the most virulent things I've ever had the misfortune to observe, you are to terminate further work on this atrocity.  All materials, research materials and further data are to be destroyed forthwith.

Make it Never Happened. 

-Aleksandr Kerensky,
Commanding General, SLDF
Acting as Regent to the First Lord of the Star League.

"What the hell is this..?"

Bolo, the Centurion RTO from my ship, is logged into one of the working terminals below.

"Huh, that's funny." he says.

I come down to where he's working.  "What've you got for me?"

"These are deployment orders for a biological pacfication weapon."  He said, "Kowloon's at the top of the list, but he's also got several targets planned in the Taurian Concordat, Outworlds Alliance, Federated suns and three targets in the Free Worlds League, with planned targets in the Dominion of Rassalhague."

"When was the stuff shipped?"

"Most of it wasn't." he tells me, "Only the missiles intended for test use on Kowloon were actually shipped, the rest were dismantled and the payloads dropped into a star...but there are full specifications in a poorly deleted file.  someone could manufacture it with this information."

and that's what whoever was backing Doerntz wants.  a Star League era bioweapons project.

son of a bitch.  my gut is cramping and it's not my biology doing it.

"holy ******."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1334 on: 01 February 2020, 10:15:19 »
So Aleksander Kerensky ordered the project stopped. But he´s not the type to nerve-gas the entire facility and the project staff - and apparently before they had time to follow his orders, too.

This smells like Amaris.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #1335 on: 01 February 2020, 11:09:45 »
Telling that the Republic staff tried to run, while the SLDF personnel stayed at their posts, doing their duty to the end.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1336 on: 01 February 2020, 11:13:49 »
Smells like WoB to me...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1337 on: 01 February 2020, 11:20:42 »
Smells like WoB to me...

The nerve gas happened in the 2760s...

My guess is, the RWR personnel was following Amaris´ orders, probably transmitting the bioweapon data to his in violation of Kerensky´s order to purge it, and triggered the nerve gas release... which Amaris probably ordered to automatically trigger once he had the data.

The reason the RWR personnel tried to run but the SLDF personnel did not was that the RWR personnel were the only ones to know about the nerve gas release before they felt the effects.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2020, 11:23:17 by Sir Chaos »
-Frederick the Great

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1338 on: 01 February 2020, 11:26:36 »
No, I meant the guys looking for the stuff...

werehawk

• Recruit
« Reply #1339 on: 01 February 2020, 11:37:06 »
I had a similar thought on whom was looking for the facility. I do wonder though if the WOBs have had a internal schism as well.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1340 on: 01 February 2020, 11:42:23 »
Oh, THAT.

Old habits die hard, I guess. Plus, they´ll want to be prepared for when the war against the Cylon empire is over.
-Frederick the Great

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1341 on: 01 February 2020, 11:52:20 »
New Circe Orbital Shipyard...

"Are you lost?"

Amanda looked up, looking up is what you do when an adult speaks, to show you're paying attention.  "no...yes." the girl admitted, "I was looking for the bathroom."

"uh-huh...likely story.  Do you know who I am?"

a Teenaged girl was standing at a corridor junction, wearing the uniform of a Junior Cadet-only much smaller than the other Junior Cadets that greeted them when they came back up from the planet.  Her tabs were smaller, but she seemed like someone Amanda should know on sight.

"I'm here, you're supervised." The teen girl told her, and held out a hand. 

Amanda reached out, and it was warm.  "You're real."

"I'm real, and really sneaky." the older girl said.  "Let's get you back to the reception, Amanda, do you know my name?"

"Hera." Amanda said, "You're the Sharon Agathon's daughter!"

"right you are! come on."

Amanda trusted her instantly, just like knowing who she was came instantly.  "You've met our Uncle Cavil?"

"He's mean." Amanda said, "I don't like him-any of him."

"Yeah, I don't much like him either.  Uncle Leoben's more interesting to talk to."

"I like Leos." Amanda said, "They always talk about neat things, like fishing, and swimming, and how things fit together! Leo back home isn't 'uncle' Leo though, he's 'teacher' Leo, and he gives me candy when I do a good job on my homework."

"Known the twos for a while?"

"mommy knew him when she was little, she trusts him a lot." Amanda asserted, "Daddy thinks he's full of Bee-Ess sometimes though."

"he is." Hera said, "On a surface level. if you think about it too much you understand what he's really saying."

"Uh-huh! yeah! You're smarter than the grown ups."

"no, but maybe when I finish growing up." Hera told her, they rounded a corner.

Elizabeth's eyes were frantic until they lit, seeing Amanda.

"There you are!"

"She was looking for the head, ma'am." Hera said, "I found her."

"Well, no harm done, cadet...Agathon? did I pronounce that right?"

"yes ma'am."

"Thank you, I was afraid we'd have to tear the whole station apart looking for her."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1342 on: 01 February 2020, 11:59:10 »
Oh, THAT.

Old habits die hard, I guess. Plus, they´ll want to be prepared for when the war against the Cylon empire is over.

*nod*

As much as the WoB may understand that if there is no humanity left to be the saviors of they do still have their end game firmly in mind.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1343 on: 01 February 2020, 12:27:31 »
Oooo… now I'm wondering how much R2 is going to freak out when he meets Amanda...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1344 on: 01 February 2020, 13:39:11 »
Coast Guard HQ Spider Moon, Boojum gas giant moon 7, Kowloon system...

"Well...we know what they were after...are after." Commodore Alicia Li rocked on her heels in the base's artificial gravity.  "We still don't know who they are."

"You don't think it was the Cylon Imperium, then?"  Natalie asked.

"No." Li turned, "That base wasn't on anybody's records on this side, there's only a couple groups that might've known, and the Clans aren't one or they'd have been after Arluna from day one, so the info has to originate somewhere on Earth."

"None of the samples they found are viable." Dr. Ellen chimed in, "The data print for assembling the proteins is complete, It's definitely Twenty-One Bee, at least, the projected symptomology fits."

"can you source an antidote? vaccine...something?"

"Detection wouldn't be difficult in the low-dormancy phase, there are a couple of standard antivirals it'll react to...but no.  The sick mind that designed this bug built it hardy anything we can use to kill the virus will kill the host.  as a genetic scientist with a background in biological weapons design, it would be perfect as a weapon if you don't mind never being able to re-enter the place it was released ever, ever, ever, again.  this is an 'apocalypse wow' bug."

"Apocalypse...wow?"

"yeah, unleash it, and you've killed a planet.  it's like someone said, 'hey, guys, let's make a level zero biohazard' and somebody was idiotic enough to fund it.  Just reading the files makes my skin want to crawl off...but then, I actually know and understand what I'm looking at here.  get some guy who only has a passing familiarity with weaponised disease, and he'll get god's-own-boner at the idea of an ultimate weapon with no counters."

"Recommendations?"

"Destroy the information, do a sub-surface warhead test on the site, something that maybe will collapse the mountain on top of it." Ellen asserted, "This is the definition of shit man wasn't meant to know."

"can't do that.  can you come up with a viable counter?" Li asked.

"You're not planning to use it."

"NO, I'm just accounting for the fact that some of my personnel, including you, have seen the materials and erasing it would require an act of genocide that I am not willing to consider."

"Oh, right...the Cylons..OUR Cylons." Ellen said.

"Can you pick this lock?"

"I can try. but we definitely need to isolate the information." Ellen amended, "and find out who wanted it."

"Yes, yes we do."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1345 on: 01 February 2020, 13:44:43 »
I can only hope none of the Centurions saw the technical data... that wouldn't be erasable...  :-X

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #1346 on: 01 February 2020, 16:32:51 »
I can only hope none of the Centurions saw the technical data... that wouldn't be erasable...  :-X

Li’s got a point, someone else knows enough to be actively seeking this shit out.  Given that the Old Star League buried and forgot metric shit tons of stuff, they can’t assume all the data and samples are gone.  Thus the need to study what they did find to work up countermeasures.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1347 on: 01 February 2020, 16:37:51 »
With something like 21B, I certainly hope that research doesn't happen at Liz's university.  Ellen was absolutely right about this being something "man wasn't meant to know"...

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #1348 on: 01 February 2020, 18:06:43 »
With something like 21B, I certainly hope that research doesn't happen at Liz's university.  Ellen was absolutely right about this being something "man wasn't meant to know"...

For proper containment you don't investigate this on any planetary surface.  Instead locate it on something you can nudge into the local star if you lose containment.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1349 on: 01 February 2020, 18:07:51 »
True that!  8)