Author Topic: Warship Race Redux  (Read 91409 times)

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
Re: Warship Race Redux
« Reply #1140 on: 27 July 2020, 17:42:37 »
lets hope, my crude understanding of aerotech didnt screw me up with my designs and plans  :)) :)) :o :o

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #1141 on: 27 July 2020, 19:39:48 »
I've never played Aerotech at all, so you won't be any worse off than I am
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1142 on: 28 July 2020, 07:21:59 »
We all just use the rules as written, and bend them to our needs.  8)
In this case the needs of continuous space and fantasy economics.  ;D Better not to get too close to the source material - the rules might not hold up to close scrutiny. ^^

Anyways, I intend to get a very preliminary turn soon so things can go on - there won't be too much fluff until next weekend.

I'll research AR-10s, Medium Dropships, and XL-Fusion (as already put into the spreadsheet), upgrade a midway yard from 2 to 3, build another battlecruiser and a battleship based on it, 15 new castles, and probably a few more fighters. Details in the in-character thread soon.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1143 on: 28 July 2020, 08:52:51 »

I'll research AR-10s, Medium Dropships, and XL-Fusion (as already put into the spreadsheet), upgrade a midway yard from 2 to 3, build another battlecruiser and a battleship based on it, 15 new castles, and probably a few more fighters. Details in the in-character thread soon.

damned... do i envy your eco, man!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1144 on: 28 July 2020, 14:32:56 »
Sorry guys: been a bit out of it personally. Got some personal issues and they’re preventing me from completing my turn, even if its mostly the fluff. I might end up posting bullet points of fluff and turn data to at least get it out there.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1145 on: 28 July 2020, 14:41:18 »
Sorry guys: been a bit out of it personally. Got some personal issues and they’re preventing me from completing my turn, even if its mostly the fluff. I might end up posting bullet points of fluff and turn data to at least get it out there.

I have done the bullet points for Fluff thing and I'll probably do it again this turn.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1146 on: 02 August 2020, 01:37:30 »
Posted Marian turn, he couldn't afford to build anything after paying off the colony debt.

May change how that is handled in future...

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1147 on: 02 August 2020, 05:43:40 »
I intend to post today or tomorrow.
After I had some sleep.
Welp.... forgot to post before bed. Sigh. Later.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 02:13:41 by UnLimiTeD »

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1148 on: 02 August 2020, 09:40:58 »
Posted Marian turn, he couldn't afford to build anything after paying off the colony debt.

May change how that is handled in future...
Hmm, what happens to the Yi Bai they purchased?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1149 on: 02 August 2020, 18:04:56 »
Debt... so raise taxes!

:drool:

Also I'll take those sales, it'll mean a very large debt, but a buy is a buy. And I want to honor the deal...

TT
« Last Edit: 02 August 2020, 18:37:39 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1150 on: 03 August 2020, 01:49:40 »
I had missed those purchases... will fix

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1151 on: 04 August 2020, 21:36:32 »
Finally posted. No fiction this time but points convey what I basically wanted hopefully. Been a rough couple of weeks for me and appearances say August isn't going to be better personally. Although I now have like nine plans for next turn and have already written a couple things so next time it will come out faster.

And I know I know, speed 'doesn't matter' per se.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1152 on: 09 August 2020, 13:12:32 »
Finally managed to post before I let the second weekend pass.
Might be in need of some further formatting.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1153 on: 09 August 2020, 14:08:20 »
these should be all turns except the 500 lb gorilla, right?

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1154 on: 09 August 2020, 14:42:48 »
these should be all turns except the 500 lb gorilla, right?
I believe so.  Is there a plan for the gorilla?

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1155 on: 09 August 2020, 18:23:58 »
There is, and it's 95% done.

In other news, Marcus is no longer working on this project due to personal reasons, leaving me to carry on. If the earlier offer of writing up battle reports is still on the table I'll take people up on it.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1156 on: 09 August 2020, 20:32:34 »
Man, warship races sure grind up GMs.  :o

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1157 on: 09 August 2020, 20:56:10 »
W.r.t. battles, I'm happy to help.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1158 on: 10 August 2020, 02:26:16 »
Unlimited: The Killer Whales on the Pillar: I assume those are meant to be KW ammo for the AR-10s?
« Last Edit: 10 August 2020, 02:29:56 by Smegish »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1159 on: 10 August 2020, 03:30:06 »
Yes.  :))
Looks like I didn't write "Ammo".
I noticed at the last minute they didn't actually have any ammunition allocated.
Probably because I made the same mistake before.  :D
The Pillar is not actually meant to carry 100 White Shark Launchers in its cargo hold.
Oh, well, add another 14000 tons of cargo.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2020, 04:04:22 by UnLimiTeD »

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1160 on: 10 August 2020, 04:09:12 »
to be fair, that is the weight for that much white shark ammo, the launchers themselves weigh bugger all.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1161 on: 10 August 2020, 04:51:20 »
There is, and it's 95% done.

In other news, Marcus is no longer working on this project due to personal reasons, leaving me to carry on. If the earlier offer of writing up battle reports is still on the table I'll take people up on it.

im dont think my style (too colourful/unstructured) and fluency in english is enough for this. otherwise i could imagine to write something.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1162 on: 14 August 2020, 05:08:25 »
so the gorilla planned its move. flexing its muscle  ;D ;D

i like those stations. i wonder if they or my station mix is more effective and if the big blue bullie to my south will test them

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1163 on: 14 August 2020, 08:26:33 »
so the gorilla planned its move. flexing its muscle  ;D ;D

i like those stations. i wonder if they or my station mix is more effective and if the big blue bullie to my south will test them

It will certainly be interesting given the navies are so structurally different. 

My estimate is that at the end of this decade, the TH navy will be able to fight any two IS powers including the CC or any 3 not including the CC to a standstill in an all-up close-combat battle of warships vs. warships.  At the same time, the details matter as there isn't a single light naval gauss (with its 1000km range) in the entire TH fleet and the TH fleet lacks good invasion transports (other than the 2 Typhoons).  The CC warfleet (and stations) are designed to exploit both of these weaknesses.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1164 on: 14 August 2020, 08:46:57 »
It will certainly be interesting given the navies are so structurally different. 

My estimate is that at the end of this decade, the TH navy will be able to fight any two IS powers including the CC or any 3 not including the CC to a standstill in an all-up close-combat battle of warships vs. warships.  At the same time, the details matter as there isn't a single light naval gauss (with its 1000km range) in the entire TH fleet and the TH fleet lacks good invasion transports (other than the 2 Typhoons).  The CC warfleet (and stations) are designed to exploit both of these weaknesses.

i assume this is just their first buildup. back to be able to defend themselves... THEN build something for agressive action.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1165 on: 14 August 2020, 09:24:58 »
i assume this is just their first buildup. back to be able to defend themselves... THEN build something for agressive action.
I expect otherwise given an aggressive leader who has greatly expanded the naval budget and an admiral declaring the buildup "just about complete".

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1166 on: 14 August 2020, 09:27:58 »

That range advantage is pretty small, and at that kind of extreme range you might hit once from each 15 gun volley from the Lie Ren, which you only have 2 of. The other ships don't pack enough LNG's to worry about.

And as to the lack of invasion transports, well the THN intends to use the battlefleet to secure the system, before the ground troops come in on standard JumpShips. Takes longer but don't risk ground forces unnecessarily.

Unfortunately the maintenance bill will be back up to 2/3rds of their budget by next turn.

I expect otherwise given an aggressive leader who has greatly expanded the naval budget and an admiral declaring the buildup "just about complete".

He believes that what they are building will be sufficient, may or may not be the case.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1167 on: 14 August 2020, 09:50:43 »
That range advantage is pretty small, and at that kind of extreme range you might hit once from each 15 gun volley from the Lie Ren, which you only have 2 of. The other ships don't pack enough LNG's to worry about.
Yeah, the Lie Ren's odds of hitting are quite low at extreme range, but it can sustain combat for a long time before it must withdraw to resupply.  For example, at one hit/minute, that's 900 damage/hour.  Over the 24 hour combat endurance of the Lie Ren, that's 21600 capital damage, enough to maul one of the TH fleets.  It's a different kind of combat, something that we haven't seen yet in either game as far as I recall. 

I don't expect the LNGs on the other warships to matter much in fleet combat since they aren't fast enough to keep the range.  Those are useful against stations or (maybe) crippled warships.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1168 on: 14 August 2020, 19:25:54 »
Have you fixed the station costs yet for MH?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1169 on: 14 August 2020, 20:06:57 »
With a sufficient amount of ships, a fleet can just adopt what I'd call a wrench formation. Probably more of a pincer move. At least 1 ship each in the center and 2 (as it's 3D, better 4) prongs. If the longer ranged ship engages the center, the center falls back and the prongs advance, forcing the opposing ship to either fall back or put itself in jeopardy.
In the latter case, the prongs will collapse onto the target, possibly getting a hit in.
In the former case, nothing much happens, and the process repeats itself.
If the target engages one of the prongs instead, that ship will fall back and to the side, and the formation will rotate.
Finally, given the ship count advantage of a force like the TH, they can probably keep a few ships in reserve, either to rotate fresh crews (even an elite crew will degrade rapidly after several hours at 3G) or to keep a jump reserve in case the battle ever propagates outside the jump limit (or near a La-Grange point).
Of course, with a number superiority, they could also set up multiple layers of accelerating fighters, forcing a faster, smaller enemy fleet to either get off their back for an hour or get hit either by the fighters or the battleships.

At least, that would be my take on the situation. The TH navy is actually rather unsuited for the task as a whole, as only their constitutions can really engage in those tactics, and that requires at least a 4:1 numerical superiority.
Edit: Man, Nihongi will be ancient when he's done. Assuming he's not assassinated soon.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2020, 20:24:49 by UnLimiTeD »

Register