Author Topic: Wish list for new maps for ground combat.  (Read 6100 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Wish list for new maps for ground combat.
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2020, 17:21:54 »
1) who said anything about keeping the buildings upright?  ;D

2) id assume accommodations could be made. It wasn’t meant to be taken literally I just used Barcelona as an example to illustrate a dense urban environment with a ton of dead ends and  crooked streets.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2020, 13:27:30 »
Buildings are old and could not stand the weight of a wasp, let alone a bigger machine.

Light buildings with 15CF only, then. [makes notes]

But if you want a make believe area that looks like that be my guest. I would like to attack my old homr :p or jump on my parent's roof.

You could make it with a load of hexes of Light (15CF) buildings, with no road hexes, except for that cleared route. Only infantry would be able to pass through easily ...
(And yes, I made a map for MegaMek inspired by where my parents live.  :) )
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2020, 10:59:13 »
I haven't seen Simon's thread, but the main problem with the MapMaster stuff is where can I play with those maps. 4x4 and 4x8... I want to, but those are just too big. Thankfully I'm a slim guy, but it is hard to imagine some players and their girth working around a game that big.

That's why you get a snazzy croupier's rake or push stick or whatever it's called to move your units around the board. Hey CGL, after the dice maybe you should look into making branded marshal's batons that move minis!

And to stay on thread: I'll second MapMaster's maps. They're amazing! And if you find them too big, what about printing them in four sections that are two feet wide by four feet long? Smaller and you can mix and match as you need.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2020, 11:01:24 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2020, 11:01:33 »
That's why you get a snazzy croupier's rake or push stick or whatever it's called to move your units around the board. Hey CGL, after the dice maybe you should look into making branded marshal's batons that move minis!

i push my mad cat iv. it catches on the neoprene. it falls and all four limbs break off like kit kats. i sob uncontrollably for the next 90 minutes.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2020, 11:24:02 »
A harbor with docks.
Military base.
the old Map Set 7 had these.. a seaport map and a two part military base. also a two part spaceport, two coastal maps, and a pair of island archipelago maps with bridges linking islands in an otherwise ocean environment.

perhaps they could update these to modern standards.

honestly, reworking all the old map sets to modern standards (with tweaks to make them more easily compatible in terms of river and road placement and such) would be a nice thing.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2020, 12:30:27 »
i push my mad cat iv. it catches on the neoprene. it falls and all four limbs break off like kit kats. i sob uncontrollably for the next 90 minutes.

It always sucks when you fail a piloting skill roll. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #36 on: 01 December 2020, 13:17:28 »
I just want a listing of Building CFs to represent the variances of city proper.

Restaurants
Apartments
Gas Stations
Foodmarts
Parking Structures
Fire / Police Stations
Malls : I mean Level 2 Malls should be hollow with open spaces, trees in a building!

And other oddities...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #37 on: 01 December 2020, 14:40:44 »
The solution is to go to this site and enter sample CFs in tons. For example, the link I gave was for 15 tons. If you think any of the objects(or appropriate multiple/fraction) listed there would collapse a building(or nearly so) if dropped on the roof, then you're thinking of a light building.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 01 December 2020, 17:11:51 »
Nice site, but not what I mean Weirdo.

I meant official CF stats for a random Hex placement piece.

In the original CityTech, it gave building construction, but not what type they were other than Light CF up to Fortress CF w/ and w/o wall armor. Same goes for The Battletech Manual, Rules of Warfare which put BattleTech, CityTech and AeroTech in one book with rules for each in one book.

Followed by the Compendium rules, then the BMR and BMRr upgraded those rules, but still never gave examples other than CF construction.

Now the Total Warfare, and it's slew of enhancements, which either justify the construction with examples, but really just confuses most people, or doesn't set enough examples for people to try to un-confuse them.

Like I said, the closest I can get is the free print on demand HexPack Promotional 1, found here on the forums.

There really should be more things to consider : Hospitals, Schools, a Zoo...

Fun things one can print off with stats to enhance a rather boring vanilla city!

Other than Level 2 Medium CF building blah blah #5, why not Level 2 Medium CF Hospital.

And have the International Red Cross on top of the building. Make the Hex base a double and you got a Level 1 Parking Garage. Allows vehicles to enter and shoot protected. Crashing into the building, means rolling on the standard Basement list and Special list.

Example Special List:

1D6 :

1-2 Gas Leak - Your hit with an Inferno round equivalent to the roll.
3    Nothing! Pilot roll needed to avoid damage.
4    Coolant Leak - You take damage as if hit by an SRM-2 in coolant.
5    Double physical damage to unit!
6    Nothing! Pilot roll needed to avoid damage.

Things like that, to make a boring game fun...

And that Zoo? At least 7 hexes, include a Tree hex or two, 2-3 Light CF buildings, a Medium CF one and a Water hex, Depth 1, surrounded by a Level 1 Wall, so the animals don't escape like they did in Madagascar!

Also, why no Rail hexes? Something official, something that can be printed on one's home printer.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 01 December 2020, 20:20:07 »
the old Map Set 7 had these.. a seaport map and a two part military base. also a two part spaceport, two coastal maps, and a pair of island archipelago maps with bridges linking islands in an otherwise ocean environment.

perhaps they could update these to modern standards.

honestly, reworking all the old map sets to modern standards (with tweaks to make them more easily compatible in terms of river and road placement and such) would be a nice thing.

That would be a really good map pack IMO. Military Outposts Map Pack
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #40 on: 01 December 2020, 20:23:11 »
It really is a good set of maps.

Calimehter

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 02 December 2020, 09:09:21 »

Example Special List:

1D6 :

1-2 Gas Leak - Your hit with an Inferno round equivalent to the roll.
3    Nothing! Pilot roll needed to avoid damage.
4    Coolant Leak - You take damage as if hit by an SRM-2 in coolant.
5    Double physical damage to unit!
6    Nothing! Pilot roll needed to avoid damage.

Things like that, to make a boring game fun...

And that Zoo? At least 7 hexes, include a Tree hex or two, 2-3 Light CF buildings, a Medium CF one and a Water hex, Depth 1, surrounded by a Level 1 Wall, so the animals don't escape like they did in Madagascar!

Now I'm picturing some good stuff for a Special Table for different sites or neighborhoods.

Zoo:  replace "Coolant Leak" with "Predator Cage Smashed - non-BA infantry take 1d6 damage from assorted alien gribblies before they are put down via small arms fire".

There goes my next hour of productivity at work.  :))

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 02 December 2020, 11:42:41 »
Canal and Farms with a road.  Identical map with a dry canal when enemy advances and wet when they retreat. Urban maps wiith light wooded center of a traffic circle with a hull down position on it . Urban maps with gun emplacements that mechs ar ment to do partial cover from .  A space port in a harbor landing pads on an island in the middle of the Harbor with shore batteries covering them . Fortress w Naval PPCs covering the airspace above the city and so on .

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #43 on: 02 December 2020, 11:52:42 »
Canal and Farms with a road.  Identical map with a dry canal when enemy advances and wet when they retreat. Urban maps wiith light wooded center of a traffic circle with a hull down position on it . Urban maps with gun emplacements that mechs ar ment to do partial cover from .  A space port in a harbor landing pads on an island in the middle of the Harbor with shore batteries covering them . Fortress w Naval PPCs covering the airspace above the city and so on .

[makes notes]
(I've actually just made a canal-and-farms map for MegaMek, based on fens/polders/levels. :) I might steal some of those ideas for urban maps, though!)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 02 December 2020, 16:37:12 »
Zoo:  replace "Coolant Leak" with "Predator Cage Smashed - non-BA infantry take 1d6 damage from assorted alien gribblies before they are put down via small arms fire".

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Megasaur

I think my work is done...

TT

On second thought your idea gives me this : https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crana !
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse