Author Topic: The Oberon Guards - any details?  (Read 3727 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The Oberon Guards - any details?
« on: 12 March 2020, 02:17:48 »
Is there any actual detail out there on the Oberon Guards? 3 regiments belonging to Hendrik Grimm's Oberon Confederation, and famously wiped out by Clan Wolf's raging fiat in 3049?

Looking to make up one of my mini battalions for them. It's a great use for my small numbers of unallocated & left-over minis left in my magic Mech warehouse ;) And yes, I know the UCC has a scheme, but they acknowledge it's not canon.

I'm thinking vehicle-wise a platoon of flatbed trucks, LRM version, and a platoon of hover APCs (the 10-ton version) with SRMs as scouts, and some form of tank to round off the armour company. 'Mechs will be what I have in the box, rinsed through the MUL list, with the odd Periphery special mods. Oh, and a Banshee 3S Reinsblatte, because :D

Anyone got any other ideas on paint scheme?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: The Oberon Guards - any details?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2020, 03:11:19 »
Sadly, they've never had a canon paint scheme. Given that they were a minor Periphery power, I'd imagine that it'd be something to the effect of "what paint have we stolen today". Either that or some sort of simple camouflage
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2020, 08:29:04 »
i would surmise they had a lot of lights and mediums and a smattering of heavies, assault would be rare.   possible mixed lance of Mech/Vehicle.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2020, 10:59:48 »
Unlike actual bandits, Oberon had a functional government, controlling a small group of planets.  That's more than sufficient for a modest industrial base to produce paint and other low-tech products.  The government was looking for "legitimacy" in the eyes of its neighbors, so having a formal paint scheme would have been more important to them than to some mercenary or bandit group: "Yes, we really are a proper Military organization representing a legitimate government, not some disorganized bandit scum" (like we were last year).

We just don't have any official word as to what that paint scheme might have been.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2020, 15:06:58 »
According to the wolf clan sourcebook page 58 Crellacor 3rd Oberon Guards were a company of ‘Mechs

according to page 28 it says that King Grimm and his Heavy‘Mechs found themselves outmanoeuvred and outgunned by Clan Wolf forces on oberon VI.  it also states before that in the 10 worlds conquered
that no more than a total of 1 mech reg had been faced on any of the 10 worlds and that 2 of which where Oberon Guards. 
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2020, 17:01:23 »
According to the wolf clan sourcebook page 58 Crellacor 3rd Oberon Guards were a company of ‘Mechs

according to page 28 it says that King Grimm and his Heavy‘Mechs found themselves outmanoeuvred and outgunned by Clan Wolf forces on oberon VI.  it also states before that in the 10 worlds conquered
that no more than a total of 1 mech reg had been faced on any of the 10 worlds and that 2 of which where Oberon Guards.

Uh... it says "Clan Wolf faced no more than a single 'Mech regiment on any of ten defended worlds."
And then right on the next paragraph it says "Two of the regiments they fought belonged to the Oberon Confederation"
Only real way to interpret this quite flatly is... they never faced more than a single 'Mech regiment on any single world.

The first part... that seems to be referring to the Crellacor Guards, not the 3rd Oberon.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2020, 19:42:00 »
Not the greatest help - but Decision at Thunder Rift describes them as painted grey. But also pretty scrapped together and rusty, etc.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2020, 20:23:45 »
That's better than nothing.  Gray on a black base coat  with rusty edges.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2020, 22:36:13 »
1st Oberon Guards had a company called the “War Griffins”, which was originally a FedRat, later Elsie, merc company consisting of 12 Griffins that fell on hard times.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/War_Griffins

And one non-canon, unofficial color scheme for the Oberon Guards:

https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2018/12/25/oberon-guards-1st-2nd/
« Last Edit: 12 March 2020, 22:38:45 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2020, 02:09:52 »
the force listings says “1 mech company and 1 battalion mechanised infantry”. only way to take the for listing is that the oberon guards is the mech company and the crellacor guards are the infantry.
VhenRa it can be inferred that on the 10 periphery worlds they attacked, they face no more than 10 individual Mech regiments.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2020, 02:19:35 »
The UCC scheme is nice looking - but it's a fan's idea of what appeals to them.

I'm currently tossing up a grey top half, tan lower half, with a green 'camo' blob for each battle the pilot's been in. Plus rust.  Like Kovax, I think Grimm was trying to make it look like Oberon was a 'real state'. And my unit will be a company each of 'Mechs, armour, and infantry (no BA).
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2020, 04:11:36 »
the force listings says “1 mech company and 1 battalion mechanised infantry”. only way to take the for listing is that the oberon guards is the mech company and the crellacor guards are the infantry.

Yes... and other planets also say stuff like "Paulus Guards (One Battalion of 'Mechs, one regiment of mechanized infantry)" or "Ferris Guards (Two lances of 'Mechs, one regiment of mechanized infantry)"

Which kinda implies to me that is only the planetary guards.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2020, 16:06:38 »
The original cover for Decision at Thunder Rift can probably help, been trying to upload the image without success though.

https://images.app.goo.gl/WT18X5VKPavjRVUK8

Though it can be found here.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2020, 16:09:54 »
Potentially doable, but the idea of doing a whole battalion like that is ...  ??? Going to probably assume that that's "appropriate camo" for some planet, and the Oberon Guards are getting a shabby "uniform" do as part of that "Of course we is a real professionistic army!" thing.

Register