Author Topic: Custom ARC-2R Archer "Hou Yi" / Kamakura's Hussars  (Read 1541 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
Custom ARC-2R Archer "Hou Yi" / Kamakura's Hussars
« on: 01 September 2020, 19:25:32 »
In creating my personal Battletech universe (the Caz-a-verse) I decided that not all 'Mechs of a particular type look alike. That like automakers of today, designs have been updated and refreshed for a multitude of reasons. What this means is that three different manufacturers, that all build the same 'Mech, could each have a unique image for their end result. I did this for two reasons; 1) I wanted to limit the total number of images, and 2) to help different factions that might field the same design not look like another faction with nothing more than a different insignia or paint scheme. Each faction has a "flavor".

The Archer is no exception to my rule, as 9 different facilities share 4 different images. These images include; The Unseen (Taurians), the new Classic (Steiner, Marik), 20-211 (Steiner, Kurita) and this Custom version (Liao)...

My custom Archer is one of those things that some people may recognize, as variations have been done before by others. I'd like to say that I came up with this before I saw any other them, but this idea is so old I don't remember the genesis of it. I do believe though that no one has done this combination before though.

The Archer "Hou Yi" is built exclusively by Earthwerks Incorporated, Grand Base, The Capellan Confederation. Also, "Hou Yi" is the name of the chassis, not the name of this particular 'Mech.

Once I say this you'll never be able to un-see it... I noticed while painting it that the back looks like it has a face that kind of reminds me of an Aztec hieroglyph.

Finally, I realize that Ral Partha / Iron Wind Metals has never been big on scale, but I thought I would include an original Unseen just so people can get some idea of how big it is.

Caz

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Re: Custom ARC-2R Archer "Hou Yi" / Kamakura's Hussars
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2020, 19:35:24 »
X
« Last Edit: 18 September 2020, 19:44:35 by Major Headcase »

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2020, 19:38:29 »
Everything is absolutely gorgeous and you've hit it out of the park but OH MY GOD THAT HOT SPRING ON THE BASE. Nailed it.  :smitten:
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2020, 19:40:16 »
Wow.  Just, wow.   :bow: :bow: :bow:

How'd you get that shade of green?

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2020, 19:56:01 »
Very nice Caz. Very nice indeed. 🖒.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2020, 20:01:23 »
but OH MY GOD THAT HOT SPRING ON THE BASE. Nailed it.

Thank you... The hot spring is modeled after the Morning Glory pool in Yellowstone's Upper Geyser Basin...

When I started painting again (2008), it struck me that a paint scheme alone might not be enough to differentiate two different factions (think the Arcturan Guards and Comstar). My answer was to give each unit's base a theme... For Kamakura's Hussars, it is this type of hot spring. I figure the world (whichever one it is) could be dotted with small springs everywhere. So far I've only done this one and the commander's Koschei, but I like how they turned out... Gives a nice splash of color on an otherwise pretty green 'Mech.

How'd you get that shade of green?

I start with a basecoat of Reaper's Pure Black, which is only visible as the panel line color on this completed 'Mech... Then I move on to Reaper's Peacock Green. The first coat is pure. Then I mix it 2/1, 1/1, 1/2 with Reaper's Grass Green. I end with pure Grass Green.

Caz

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2020, 20:08:36 »

I start with a basecoat of Reaper's Pure Black, which is only visible as the panel line color on this completed 'Mech... Then I move on to Reaper's Peacock Green. The first coat is pure. Then I mix it 2/1, 1/1, 1/2 with Reaper's Grass Green. I end with pure Grass Green.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:  Like I said to Schwerpunkt with his Death Commandos, I'm planning my next lances to be CCAF and looking to emulate (ahem, copy!) great examples like yours.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2020, 06:42:39 »
That looks really good. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2020, 07:32:14 »
Beautiful work Caz, from mod to paint.  Just brilliant.  8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2020, 12:46:30 »
Painting and bashing superb, as always, Caz. CAV/Talon upper parts, I think?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2020, 14:34:31 »
Summoner legs?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2020, 15:29:56 »
 :thumbsup:

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2020, 17:30:29 »
CAV/Talon upper parts, I think?

You are correct... The torso is the discontinued Tomahawk, while the arms come from the discontinued Dauntless... I've got enough to build a total of 4 of these. Now just 3 left.

Summoner legs?

Sort-of... The legs are in fact from IWM's => Online Exclusives => Clan Omni Mech Parts => OP-001 Thor/Loki Legs (from 20-326/337)... I don't own either Mech so I can't say if there is any difference between these and the ones that came in the package. If they are exactly the same, then I have no idea why they would be in the Clan Omni Mech Parts site, instead of just the regular Salvage Yard...

Overall, this is one of my more straight forward bashes, as those three piece make up the majority of the Mech... I redid the missile launcher to each have 20 instead of 10. I got rid of the lower launcher door hinge and made a new single door attached to the top. I added the medium laser ports to the back. Trimmed out the chin laser and added the little rod-shaped sensor bar. Added the antenna... The hardest piece was the upper waist. The torso is very narrow, and it looked wrong when mated to the lower waist. I originally planned on using a washer and going with something round like the unseen Archer, but in the end built a custom piece and stayed with the more blocky look.

Also, I didn't hack this one up and push for something more dynamic. Instead I went with something a little more static, but actually really like the pose. Kind of reminds me of the simpler unseen Archer stance. Granted, I don't think I'd ever do it again.

Caz

Register