Author Topic: Max vehicle armor?  (Read 4384 times)

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
Max vehicle armor?
« on: 18 June 2011, 18:55:28 »
What is the max armor for vehicles now, IIRC its something like tonnage times 3.5 + 45. Though I keep thinking that I have seen vehicles that exceed that, so I'm wondering if theirs something I am missing.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
Re: Max vehicle armor?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2011, 20:07:26 »
(Vehicle Mass *3.5)+40, for standard combat vehicles.

Max for support vehicles is (Vehicle Mass *2)+4.

I don't think I've seen too many close to the 400 point side of things, though, at least in canon designs.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2011, 20:23:21 »
When the new limit was considered, Rick Raisley searched his archives and found no violations. Or, rather, when violations were found, the draft rule was adjusted.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2011, 20:34:37 »
The Gurteltier has 376 points of armor, which is as far as I'm aware of the closest to the limit any vehicles comes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2011, 03:07:25 »
I've built a few custom combat vehicles going all the way to the maximum once I became aware of it (and they're appropriately tough for their respective weights), but it makes sense that the limits would have been consciously set so that no extant canon designs goes over. That also means that I don't normally worry about exceeding them by accident; between tonnage limits and the way my ideas of what constitutes a "proper" balance between armor, mobility and firepower tend to work out, I just never end up getting there unless it's on purpose.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2011, 03:21:22 »
I've built a few custom combat vehicles going all the way to the maximum once I became aware of it (and they're appropriately tough for their respective weights), but it makes sense that the limits would have been consciously set so that no extant canon designs goes over. That also means that I don't normally worry about exceeding them by accident; between tonnage limits and the way my ideas of what constitutes a "proper" balance between armor, mobility and firepower tend to work out, I just never end up getting there unless it's on purpose.

Heck, I do not think I have ever built a vehicle with that much armour..I usually keep them to a couple tons more then a
'mech of the same tonnage...Now, the limit on ASF armour, I think, did hurt one of my 100 ton designs with 50 tons of Ferro-Aluminum armour...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2011, 05:13:47 »
The Gurteltier has 376 points of armor, which is as far as I'm aware of the closest to the limit any vehicles comes.

You are right, Gürteltier together with Demolisher II (armed with Thunderbolt missile launchers) are probably hardest nuts to crack. Both vehicles have 367 points of armor.

When it comes to Clan vehicles, Mars (355 points) and Heimdall (352 points) are well protected too.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2011, 05:30:04 »
That's the Mars (HAG Variant).  The other Mars variants have much less armor.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2011, 18:41:36 »
I honestly don't think I've ever come close to max armor for a custom tank.
Heck I'm usually a couple tons under the max for a Mech of the same weight.
With motive damage what it is now, its a waste to armor a Hover/Wheeled unit that heavily, IMHO.
And for a tracked vehicle I can always stick more guns on them, since gunboats is what I feel they should all be............  {>{> Alacorn  {>{>
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2011, 19:04:11 »
I agree.  In general combat vehicles get more benefit from increasing their firepower over maxing out their armor.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2011, 20:03:59 »
I try and keep the Armor close to the max armor of the mechs. But some of the 70tons vehicles I have have over 275 pts of armor with a turret.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2011, 20:28:18 »
Sort of, sometimes, maybe.

I agree under BMR massive slabs of armour were not that much help. Under TW it can be.

Under BMR fatal crits were more likely, minimising the usefulness of armour. Under TW motive hits are more likely. Which means that there is a good chance the tank will be exposed to several turns under fire while immobile. This is when the slabs of armour help.

Register