Author Topic: (Research) Infantry v. BA bays  (Read 2053 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
(Research) Infantry v. BA bays
« on: 13 October 2020, 18:32:15 »
TM/PDF pg 239.

1. Do we need to specify what type of infantry we have in any designated infantry bay, as long as the tonnage requirement is met?

2. Do we need to specify infantry v. BA? (again as long as tonnage requirement is met)

my first thoughts are:

1. No, make sure the tonnage you have can fit a full platoon of what you need.

2. Yes, BA bays also have assigned bay personnel and those need to be accounted for in your design process (and what size unit of BA you have).
« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 21:05:11 by Xotl »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Wolf72

• Captain
Re: Infantry v. BA bays
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2020, 19:33:07 »
Note I am asking about Bays as they can be installed in dropships while compartments cannot.

On a side note and probably a different book (Strat Ops?), if you decided to put your Infantry in quarters or a standard infantry bay, you would have to factor the time it would take unload all of the additional equipment from cargo, right?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Infantry v. BA bays
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2021, 15:22:33 »
I'm not sure I entirely follow.  There are separate kinds of infantry bay for separate kinds of infantry.  That's why they're separate on this list, and specify what kind of infantry they fit.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Wolf72

• Captain
Re: (Research) Infantry v. BA bays
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2021, 19:42:59 »
This made more sense to me when I first posted ...  :P

Somewhere we talking about designing a carrier and what type of infantry it could hold ...

1. A better question might be: Are Inf Bays and BA Bays interchangeable?  If you allotted 30 tons towards Bays (not compartments) would we be allowed to then designate on the fly (say before leaving planet-side) how it would be used? -- 10 tons for conventional Inf, and 20 towards BA.

A: my first thought was NO.  BA Bays are just that, for BA only.  Conventional Infantry are for PBI (and their variants -- motor, field gun, etc) only.

B: or is it YES, they are interchangeable and you need to make sure you take into account any extra personnel (for life support usage and stuff) you need as BA techs.

C. (really A part-2) If I put a 10-ton Infantry Bay in my dropship, as long as they remain as a full platoon I can fit any Conventional Infantry I want in there.  BUT not BA.

(2nd post was wondering out loud about quartering infantry and how would you deal with their equipment -- especially motor/mechanized and field guns.  I would think that their 'heavy' equipment would have to be removed from cargo -- OR you still have to make a bay for them, just not use it as such for super long treks)

good luck and I apologize for the ramble-ness!