Author Topic: What's in the Pipeline 2: the Wrath of Speck  (Read 179255 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: What's in the Pipeline 2: the Wrath of Speck
« Reply #990 on: 15 March 2023, 07:24:52 »
All I can say is I would hella buy the Eurus.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #991 on: 15 March 2023, 08:47:17 »
Agreed, meh on more urbanmech in general. Would have been thrilled with a mad cat iv, shrike, jade phoenix, iron cheetah....something exciting. CGL likely won't get around to doing ilclan stuff in plastic for a good while, IWM could have filled that void more in the meantime, oh well. I got my first hierofalcon in the mail yesterday, and it's quite a fantastic sculpt...makes me wish for the jade phoenix.

Mad Cat IV and Shrike are already available from IWM. Or do you mean resculpted verisons?

Deckard_2049

• Corporal
« Reply #992 on: 15 March 2023, 10:52:20 »
Mad Cat IV and Shrike are already available from IWM. Or do you mean resculpted verisons?

Yeah just a modernization to fit in better with the newer range of minis. (think the Mad Cat looking like it did on the book cover for hour of the wolf). The current shrike is okay but when put next to something like newer like the hierofalcon it ages the sculpt a bit.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #993 on: 15 March 2023, 11:04:51 »
The Savage Wolf has a flaw in assembling the mini- the shoulder.

The Shrike vs new Falcon Omnis are supposed to have a aesthetic difference representing the sort-of split philosophies of the Falcons.  The new Omnis being less totem-ish is pushback against Malvina's behavior by those who oversaw the program and I would assume the scientists.  This is pretty spelled out in the opening fiction of ilClan where a Malvina devotee on Mars mentally goes on about how she uses a Shrike-era totem mech like Malvina.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #994 on: 15 March 2023, 14:41:28 »
The shoulders and hips both are flawed on the Mad Cat Mk IV.  Same issue with the Vulture MK IV, since they use the same arms and legs.  It's been a problem since the minis were released.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #995 on: 16 March 2023, 13:27:53 »
On Reddit the Saladin was mentioned as being just a remake of the master mold. Not a new thing.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #996 on: 16 March 2023, 15:45:51 »
Aww bummer.  I did get a new custom idea for it however, so may need to look into it.

On Reddit the Saladin was mentioned as being just a remake of the master mold. Not a new thing.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #997 on: 16 March 2023, 16:08:53 »
Aww bummer.  I did get a new custom idea for it however, so may need to look into it.
There always Exile from Syberia/TRO Syberia inspired out fits.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #998 on: 18 March 2023, 16:04:20 »

IWM's website now lists the 1st Quarter releases :

the aforementioned Awesome, UrbanMech and Warhammer.

Currently no sign of the previously announced 20-5214 reference.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #999 on: 18 March 2023, 16:49:15 »
Oh this idea is from TV/Movies.   ;D

There always Exile from Syberia/TRO Syberia inspired out fits.  ;D

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #1000 on: 13 April 2023, 22:15:29 »
I got the AWS-8Q/9Q Awesome.  The sculpt is super crisp, great detail. The arms have an actual round (and not squished) PPC barrel.  Feels great moving the miniature around on the table, I like the weight of a metal assault mech.   Its just such a shame the scale isn't coming out right.  It's noticeably smaller than the plastic CGL sculpt. 

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1001 on: 13 April 2023, 22:30:38 »
Its just such a shame the scale isn't coming out right.  It's noticeably smaller than the plastic CGL sculpt.
The scale is probably coming out right. CGL changed the scale from the old RP/IWM sculpts. IWM would have to rescuplt literally everything in their BattleTech line to align to the changed specs.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1002 on: 13 April 2023, 22:59:54 »
The scale is probably coming out right. CGL changed the scale from the old RP/IWM sculpts. IWM would have to rescuplt literally everything in their BattleTech line to align to the changed specs.

It's a metal version of the new plastic mini.  There was a similar issue with the Battlemaster mini released last year.  IIRC it has to do with the fact that liquid plastic and liquid pewter shrink by different amounts when they cool in the mold.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1003 on: 14 April 2023, 00:03:30 »
If they are consistent with the other metal minis, I don't care.  The are close enough to the plastic releases that, if you have to nitpick them on the tabletop complaining about scale, maybe mini gaming isn't what you really are interested in.   

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1004 on: 14 April 2023, 00:06:53 »
It's noticeable if you put the metal and plastic versions of the mini side by side, but it's still only a difference of millimeters.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1005 on: 14 April 2023, 00:10:29 »
I did put up a comparison post here and its been generating alot of buzz on some of the FB groups.  The Discord servers I put it on haven't been too critical either.  Can't please everyone I suppose.

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #1006 on: 14 April 2023, 08:34:47 »
It's noticeable if you put the metal and plastic versions of the mini side by side, but it's still only a difference of millimeters.

I do not believe that IWM does any compensation for shrinkage, which is why this is happening.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #1007 on: 14 April 2023, 10:02:51 »
snip...Can't please everyone I suppose.

TRUST ME...no, you cannot! LOL
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1008 on: 14 April 2023, 11:56:13 »
I do not believe that IWM does any compensation for shrinkage, which is why this is happening.
If simply casting from the a mold of the plastic, you can't. That would require an entirely new sculpt.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1009 on: 14 April 2023, 12:57:11 »
I just picked up the new Awesome 8/9Q mini and I can't wait to build it. At a glance it looks wicked cool.

As far as size comparison...to be fair the plastic Awesome and Battlemaster are fairly plump.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1010 on: 14 April 2023, 22:00:35 »
Hey Speck, I know things are busy at Iron Wind Metals, but if you get a chance could you ask about the possibility about getting the Ares Apollo variant from Dominions Divided added to the catalogue?  It uses the right arm of the Hera and the left arm of the Aphrodite, so it's just a matter of matching already-existing parts together in a new combination.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #1011 on: 14 April 2023, 23:49:46 »
I suppose the question then becomes, why are some of the new sculpts smaller than the CGL plastics (i.e Awesome,  Battlemaster,  Griffin,  Wolverine, Commando, Stormcrow but then others are just right? (i.e. Catapult, ShadowHawk, Locust, Black Knight)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1012 on: 15 April 2023, 00:05:23 »
IWM minis made to match the new CGL plastics are typically made from the same 3D masters. But there's a step in producing metal minis - the master has to be put in the uncured silicone mould, and subjected to heat & pressure to make the mould - this is nicknamed "the squeeze".

And the squeeze is a black art. It's not uncommon for a mould to lose a little in breadth or depth in the process, and I understand from other companies that masters are typically slightly oversized (eg 110%) to allow for this. But the compression isn't always the same in all directions. Consider the Reseen Grand Crusader, that maintained height + breadth, but lost depth. I guess - and this is purely a guess - that the time and effort in producing the mould is itself not trivial, and 'minor' variations aren't enough to justify re-moulding.

I understand the IWM Stinger and Catapult match the plastics pretty well, but I've seen reports that the Awesome also looks a little undersized next to the plastics. Which in a way is ironic because the plastic Awesome is somewhat oversized for an 80-tonner.

Now that may have nothing to do with the extra-edition Rifleman, because they come from someone else - probably someone as not familiar with IMW minis as us obsessive fans.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #1013 on: 16 April 2023, 23:32:53 »
Hmmm.  Yeah I am just so impressed with the detail of the new IWM sculpts.  Just lightyears ahead of where they were just 10 years ago.  And superior in many respects to the CGL plastics.   I just wish they could get the scale right, or at least consistent. 

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #1014 on: 17 April 2023, 12:01:23 »
Hmmm.  Yeah I am just so impressed with the detail of the new IWM sculpts.  Just lightyears ahead of where they were just 10 years ago.  And superior in many respects to the CGL plastics.   I just wish they could get the scale right, or at least consistent.

Part of that is the 3D sculpting, and the other part is associated art for the new stuff. If you look at the art work over the years, it does reflect in the miniatures...so better art, and sculpting equals better miniatures.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1015 on: 17 April 2023, 22:00:44 »
Part of that is the 3D sculpting, and the other part is associated art for the new stuff. If you look at the art work over the years, it does reflect in the miniatures...so better art, and sculpting equals better miniatures.
I recently looked in my combat manuals, and the contrast between the new and old stuff is stark.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1016 on: 23 April 2023, 15:56:05 »
How about another QuadVee like the Notos or the Boreas??
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #1017 on: 24 April 2023, 18:49:50 »
How about another QuadVee like the Notos or the Boreas??
I'd be Happy with either of those, or the Lich Quad Drone.   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1018 on: 01 May 2023, 18:55:45 »
I think it got missed here but the Ares superheavy variant in the Dominions Divided book is live on IWM now.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1019 on: 01 May 2023, 19:14:10 »
Nice.