Author Topic: Arguments sake: I used Nuln Oil before I drybrushed...  (Read 2198 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Arguments sake: I used Nuln Oil before I drybrushed...
« on: 11 January 2021, 13:49:58 »
So Here is what happened:

I'm doing my I.S. Command Lance in 4th Davion Guards colors.  When I originally did my first one, a Thud: work flow was this:
1. Primer (ColorMaxx White)
2. Contrast paint (Talassar Blue)
3. Drybrush highlights with a lighter blue (Teclis Blue Layer)
4. Leadbelcher the bits I want metallic
5. Nuln Oil the whole mini for nice contrast, etc.

But due to a total brain fart, on my Valkyrie and Stinger, I've accidentally skipped from Contrast paint down to Nuln Oil over the mini.

To rectify, should I nuln oil again after I do my drybrushing?  Would that make the Nuln oil too heavy in spots?

Will it even matter?  Cheers for any suggestions.

Funny thing is, I was consulting my paint journal, and that doesn't do you any good when you forget to put in the step to drybrush between Contrast paint and Nuln Oil.  Total paint journal fail on my part.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Arguments sake: I used Nuln Oil before I drybrushed...
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2021, 14:09:25 »
Nuln Oil on white makes the white grey.

Dry-brushing white over that turns the grey back closer to white.

Nuln Oil over that will turn the white back to grey, and the previous grey will take on a more darker shade.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2021, 14:22:00 »
Nuln Oil over that will turn the white back to grey, and the previous grey will take on a more darker shade.

This is the only concerning bit--will the blue bits that dont get dry brushed turn a super dark Batman blue?  That could set up some funny contrasts.  I guess the only way to really know is go ahead and dry brush and nuln oil the Stinger and see what happens?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2021, 14:39:02 »
This is the only concerning bit--will the blue bits that dont get dry brushed turn a super dark Batman blue?  That could set up some funny contrasts.  I guess the only way to really know is go ahead and dry brush and nuln oil the Stinger and see what happens?

the thing with any of the shades are they are just that...shaders.

Playing with them can result in some fabulous effects.

But yes, your Light blue will become a darker blue.

A neat effect is to see what happens to certain colors when applying different shades to them.

I have done this with Yellows with a Greenshade applied (makes the yellow more Neon Green in color), my Pink mechs are often a light pink/white with a Bhaal Red shade applied, coppery metals are painted gold/copper with a the old Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade or Casandore Yellow applied. A beautiful Bluish Steel can be achived by using BLUE instead of Nuln Oil to shade.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 12:05:21 »
Well, I did a test and drybrushed on top of the nuln oil.  Minimal effect.  I think I'm more of a 'table quality' painter, not shooting for perfection.  So it looks good enough for me.  Honestly, I'm such a light drybrusher, I'm not sure I can see the difference!

Cheers,

Mad

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2021, 13:06:04 »
I think I'm more of a 'table quality' painter, not shooting for perfection.  So it looks good enough for me.

And that's probably the best Take away. I too want my minis to look good on the table, as opposed to be on display. Get lest angsty when people handle the minis that way ;)