Author Topic: Mercenary Hall  (Read 210603 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Mercenary Hall
« Reply #720 on: 07 April 2013, 20:36:11 »
I can see the cost of Mercs going up quite a bit in the future for the Lyrans. The loss of the ELH might have saved Hesperus II, but how long until the rest of the Merc community hears about it.

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #721 on: 07 April 2013, 20:49:14 »
I can see the cost of Mercs going up quite a bit in the future for the Lyrans. The loss of the ELH might have saved Hesperus II, but how long until the rest of the Merc community hears about it.

With the Black Out?  Not for some time as anything more than a rumor though we've seen that money can trump common sense in the future and C-Bills... I mean Fox Credit... heals all wounds.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #722 on: 07 April 2013, 22:38:56 »
With the Black Out?  Not for some time as anything more than a rumor though we've seen that money can trump common sense in the future and C-Bills... I mean Fox Credit... heals all wounds.

Actually word will probably spread fairly quickly.  After all unlike during the Jihad, when Blakists seized control of planetary HPGs when they occupied planets, there will still be plenty of commercial traffic going to and from Hesperus II.  In turn the surviving ELH are going to want to rebuild or start looking for a new home.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #723 on: 07 April 2013, 22:48:46 »
In turn the surviving ELH are going to want to rebuild or start looking for a new home.

Surviving ELH?

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #724 on: 07 April 2013, 23:25:17 »
Actually word will probably spread fairly quickly.  After all unlike during the Jihad, when Blakists seized control of planetary HPGs when they occupied planets, there will still be plenty of commercial traffic going to and from Hesperus II.  In turn the surviving ELH are going to want to rebuild or start looking for a new home.

As a squid man once said: "There are no survivors."
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #725 on: 07 April 2013, 23:42:09 »
Surviving ELH?

Soldiers on medical or personal (vacation, humanitarian such as death in the immediate family, etc) leave, on detached service, etc.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #726 on: 08 April 2013, 04:24:11 »
Soldiers on medical or personal (vacation, humanitarian such as death in the immediate family, etc) leave, on detached service, etc.

The Commonwealth could always bury the survivors then.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #727 on: 08 April 2013, 08:16:13 »
I've thrown together several DA-era Merc units, but most of them were one-shot, adversary of the day deals. My first big one is slowly coming together for the 3145 period.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #728 on: 08 April 2013, 09:07:46 »
Personally i don't understand all the hate for the all the old Merc units.  Kill the ELH, Kill Kell Hounds....

New units that had come out haven't made difference impacting players sayins "Those guys are awesome."  Are we suppose not care about Merc units that personally for me drew me to BT in first place??
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #729 on: 08 April 2013, 10:58:04 »
Personally i don't understand all the hate for the all the old Merc units.  Kill the ELH, Kill Kell Hounds....

New units that had come out haven't made difference impacting players sayins "Those guys are awesome."  Are we suppose not care about Merc units that personally for me drew me to BT in first place??

I think they're clearing the ground work for a slew of new factions, mercenaries, and others that will give us the wow factor.  Mercs might not be the primary focus right now, but I have no doubt they'll give you guys the loving you deserve.  Heck, they gave me back my Fidelis and ended my debates over whether or not we were still Clanners at heart.

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #730 on: 08 April 2013, 11:12:34 »
Look at how Phelan was seen by many FedRats and even his ex-Kell Hound comrades when he first turned up in Wolf leather (and yes, I know the perception of Clanners changes dramatically later on, but still - a lot of people are going to hold anti-Clan prejudices)

I still think he should have been strung up on the courthouse square at the first available moment, or shot by a sniper at the very least.  And I'm just a reader.  In-universe, I can imagine that at his death (whenever that happens) a good number of former comrades hoist a drink a celebrate the passing of the "treacherous, treasonous, lying scumbag that betrayed us all just so he could move up the ranks faster".  I think it would be a rather rare person in the Inner Sphere that could forgive and trust someone that went over to the clans.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #731 on: 08 April 2013, 19:19:21 »

I think people just get jaded when they see these units always riding the best tech, always winning and marrying into noble houses, always at the forefront of invasions and major events, etc.

I really like the new look Dragoons and Hounds - they're battered and rag tag and are scrounging for parts or finding themselves working for age old enemies... Yeah, these guys have just started becoming very cool again.

My only problem is now: which merc outfit do I want to play with: Hounds, Dragooms or Wolf Hunters....?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #732 on: 08 April 2013, 19:29:53 »
I think people just get jaded when they see these units always riding the best tech, always winning and marrying into noble houses, always at the forefront of invasions and major events, etc.

I really like the new look Dragoons and Hounds - they're battered and rag tag and are scrounging for parts or finding themselves working for age old enemies... Yeah, these guys have just started becoming very cool again.

My only problem is now: which merc outfit do I want to play with: Hounds, Dragooms or Wolf Hunters....?
It depends if they'll ever come out with Mercenaries Suppliement: Dark Ages.  I know TPTB aren't really doing faction specific units, but mercs i believe alot player would like to play.  I think a dedicated Merc book would least give people idea what notable merc units like Wolf Hunters how they operate or their abilities.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #733 on: 09 April 2013, 13:48:32 »

Looking at you Avatar i'm thinking you've made your decision?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #734 on: 09 April 2013, 14:18:05 »
Looking at you Avatar i'm thinking you've made your decision?

Thanks to him I switched too! The adhoc nature of the Wolf Hunters really appeals to me. I just hope they stick around for a bit and that we get a rough idea of their size and tech level. Just as the THG-10E made me get over the WHM-6R and MAD-3R the Wolf Hunters have me no longer missing the Lone Wolves.

I have to wonder where they'll recruit from though...
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #735 on: 09 April 2013, 14:22:50 »

Battlefield captures?

Regarding their size, at their height they were a reinforced battalion.  The campaign against the Wolves resulted in 2/3's losses.  That was 2 years ago.  So 2 years ago (3143) they were a reinforced company.  I'd say they would be, at most, back up to a reinforced battalion.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #736 on: 09 April 2013, 14:28:04 »
Battlefield captures?

Regarding their size, at their height they were a reinforced battalion.  The campaign against the Wolves resulted in 2/3's losses.  That was 2 years ago.  So 2 years ago (3143) they were a reinforced company.  I'd say they would be, at most, back up to a reinforced battalion.

Big enough that I've some wiggle room as far as unit selection then  O0

Thank you.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #737 on: 09 April 2013, 14:29:46 »
Are they even going to exist any more with Kerensky's capture?  As far as tech level, I am not sure its going to matter with the way the lines are blended now.  Add to that they started off as a mixed tech unit of a Clan wannabe faction . . .

Also, any opinions on this for 3065-ish?

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,28280.0.html
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #738 on: 09 April 2013, 14:32:10 »
Are they even going to exist any more with Kerensky's capture?  As far as tech level, I am not sure its going to matter with the way the lines are blended now.  Add to that they started off as a mixed tech unit of a Clan wannabe faction . . .

They do continue to exist.  They had some trouble determining a new leader, but Alpha Dragan Fletcher is keeping them together and in Lyran employ.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #739 on: 09 April 2013, 14:35:03 »
Hm, okay something I missed with the new book then.  Fletcher means . . . Horse descent?  They might have also shed more warriors when they lost Kerensky however.

One of the interesting things was where all the former Steel Wolf members ended up.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #740 on: 09 April 2013, 14:37:51 »
Hm, okay something I missed with the new book then.  Fletcher means . . . Horse descent?  They might have also shed more warriors when they lost Kerensky however.

Yep, a Horse straight from the OZ.

One of the interesting things was where all the former Steel Wolf members ended up.

Some continued to operate under the identity of 'Steel Wolf' under the command of Galaxy Commander Xera.  Some formed the Steel Wolf Corps mercenary group, an armour only unit.  And a nova worth joined Jerry's Juggernauts.  Hopefully the FM explains where they all wound up.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #741 on: 09 April 2013, 14:40:50 »
Oh I know where they went though you did forget Yulri on Solaris forming his Co-Op.  I actually liked the Juggernauts and wanted to see more about them.  I honestly need to see about doing a Worktroll-esque move and redo my MWDA figures into BT ones.  Just too bad the scale is off since I actually like the Stormhammer paint scheme.
Colt Ward

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #742 on: 09 April 2013, 14:53:05 »
They might have also shed more warriors when they lost Kerensky however.

Kerensky was captured. AFAIK ER:3145 makes no mention of anyone leaving because of it. I don't think Kerensky is\was the Wolf Hunters just as Dragan is not. Once the Alpha is gone a new one fights their way to the top of the heap.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #743 on: 09 April 2013, 17:33:12 »
Thanks to him I switched too! The adhoc nature of the Wolf Hunters really appeals to me. I just hope they stick around for a bit and that we get a rough idea of their size and tech level. Just as the THG-10E made me get over the WHM-6R and MAD-3R the Wolf Hunters have me no longer missing the Lone Wolves.

It's a good insignia for a good unit! I am indeed a fan of the Hunters. Fun unit

It's interesting they know have a Horse commander - former Hells Horses turned WIE true born sent to work out what Annie K's plans were - and then liking what he saw, I guess

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #744 on: 09 April 2013, 19:38:49 »
The Wolf Hunters are easily my favourite 'Wolf' themed faction, though I'd also like to to see what happened to Xera's Steel Wolves.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #745 on: 09 April 2013, 20:20:52 »
The Wolf Hunters are easily my favourite 'Wolf' themed faction, though I'd also like to to see what happened to Xera's Steel Wolves.

Who owns Tigress in the era report? Davions or Liao?
Last we heard from Xera was that they were heading back there.

The Steel Wolf Corps were interesting too - I reckon they're probably working for the Lyrans holding the line against the Falcons by 3145.

I'm putting a campaign together now starting in Prefecture III in 3132 and reaching to 3145.
Hoping to touch on the rise of Rubach as a merc hiring centre as per Fortress Republic and the swag of smaller, low rent Mercs that the Senate Alliance hired to take Ronel and other planets in Prefecture III

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #746 on: 09 April 2013, 21:18:04 »
Who owns Tigress in the era report? Davions or Liao?

CapCon

Last we heard from Xera was that they were heading back there.

That was like 10 years ago. And technically it was Varnoff Fetladral who was going to do that. Xera gave no indication of her plans when she usurped command of the Steel Wolves from him. She may have done the same, she may not have.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #747 on: 11 April 2013, 01:42:42 »
Let us discuss what we know, from ER3145 and TRO, the state of the merc market, potential benefits and potential problems with major employers.

Federated Suns-  Definately hiring, but good luck buying replacement equipment off the Quartermaster IMO.  IMO, I think they will be hiring a lot of raiding companies for the Drac and Cappie fronts to help guerilla units.  Travel behind the lines, strike at detachments, supplies and materials, then leave.

Lyran Commonwealth-  Depends on how much the fall of the ELH is general knowledge.  All of those merc commands died on Hesperus while the regulars left them as fodder.  Generally the biggest nightmare to mercs afaik.  Again, I am not sure you will be able to purchase replacement gear with the state of the LCAF.  Oh yeah, typical posting location would be the Falcon front against Mad Malvina?  Fun

Draconis Combine-  Death of the Nova Cats could be a cause for concern . . . but they have Wolf's Dragoons and are pounding away at the FS.

Capellan Confederation/MoC-  Might militarily be in the strongest position though it will depend on how they digest the conquest.  Also have to see how much material and perhaps units they draw from the Canopus and Andurien, sort of the new Trinity.  Might have problems with Andurien since they took worlds- kindling the old rivalry.

Free Worlds League-  Reborn, I am not sure they were using that many mercs to do the fighting that ensued.  Definately at odds with the Republic Remnant, the Regulans have an interior position and they should have an uneasy peace with the Wolf Empire.  On the other hand, Lyrans are easy pickings so perhaps they can reverse some of the Hammerfall/Wolf losses by picking at the border.

Duchy of Andurien/MoC-  Most junior member of the CC/MoC/DoA Trinity.  Lost worlds to Jessica when the dump blew.  Gave worlds to the Cappies to make it stop.  Regulans are allies, but how useful are they when they did not help against Oriente?  Will Ilsa send units into the Duchy to face the FWL or will she be giving them to Daoshen to use?

Regulan Fiefs-  Surrounded by enemies, might be taking more of the independent worlds between them and Andurien so they have an 'out' astrographically.  Only allies have fallen under CC/MoC control . . . would they really be hiring?

Republic Remnant-  Sure they have needs, but do they have coin?  Can they even resupply anyone?  Do you expect the Fortress to come down?

Colt Ward

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #748 on: 11 April 2013, 02:29:24 »
I can also see a lot of former Republic outfits shattered by the various invasions gathering a mix bag of troops together and going merc.

Units that got tore up by Falcons or Snakes or Cappies, merging with some scooped up militia, other indi mercs and maybe even some opposing troops to create small sized merc units.

Also - what's the status of the Senate Alliance in 3145? Gone for good?

the 3135-40 era is the best time for mercs if you ask me - you've got pocked nations and a Chaos March situation in Prefecture V where a lot of proto-nations have formed to fend of the Cappies. Over on the League front, you have Thaddy Marik forming other proto nations, who are all aligned with the FWL.
Facing off against the Falcons you see independent planets rising up.
And then there's the Senate Alliance

All of these smaller nations need mercs desperatly (the book Fortress Republic details some of the smaller merc outfits under contract for the Alliance) and all of this spells good news for the trade!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #749 on: 11 April 2013, 02:38:07 »
Page 53 says the Senate Alliance joined the FWL as the Augustine Alliance, I am not sure if they really bring any industrial or military power with them.  But I think their coming over lets Irian and its military factories openly rejoin the FWL.
Colt Ward