Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen  (Read 74553 times)

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
Re: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen
« Reply #180 on: 24 November 2021, 00:33:40 »
Fair to middlin'. Be doin' better if more people bought my books. ;)

How 'bout yourself?
« Last Edit: 24 November 2021, 00:35:29 by Doc Swift »

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #181 on: 26 November 2021, 20:51:07 »
Looks like I am hopelessly behind the times. What year is the current iteration up to?
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #182 on: 27 November 2021, 01:36:20 »
3152 the last I checked.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #183 on: 28 November 2021, 00:55:59 »
I am way behind the times.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #184 on: 29 November 2021, 17:46:38 »
Honestly, keeping up with the latest news stopped being important to me around 3085 or so and even then it wasn't a high priority.

I guess my interest in the current story has just waned completely at this point, so much that I didn't even bother with the Kickstart minis.  I was glad to see the resculpts, but they just didn't tick the right boxes to cause me to shell out the cash.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #185 on: 30 November 2021, 15:10:01 »
I'm sort of there with you.

While I did support the Kickstarter it was truly just to support the game.

I've lost interest in the storyline/Novels which is a shame because it was the Novels that got me into the Game.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #186 on: 30 November 2021, 16:55:29 »
I'm sort of there with you.

While I did support the Kickstarter it was truly just to support the game.

I've lost interest in the storyline/Novels which is a shame because it was the Novels that got me into the Game.

Oddly, I was the same way for a long time. I didn’t support the Kickstarter mostly because of past experiences with crowd funding, and I was just waiting for inevitable end of the Suns. The only thing that got me to respond on the forum is if someone mentioned Panpour. However, I then read on a lark Icons of War by Craig Reed last year, and for the first time in a long time, it felt like the Battletech that I loved. I do recommend Icons of War if you haven’t read it.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #187 on: 30 November 2021, 19:20:19 »
Icons of War you say?

I'll give it a try, I'm not adverse to the new setting in theory, but nothing I've seen so far has held my interest enough to jump back in again.

Hour of the Wolf, for example, was good but we're House Davion, not Clan Wolf or the Terran Hegemony...er, the Republic of the Sphere. 

The fact that VSD sold his sword to that bunch, along with more than a few other FedSons, was reason enough for me to not like them, but I'll still not support the descendants of the Deserter over my own. House just to get to read a story.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #188 on: 30 November 2021, 20:19:53 »
That's the one about the Wolf secret mission right?

Yeah, I've been thinking that would be one read for sure if I got around to starting reading again.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #189 on: 30 November 2021, 20:33:25 »
That's the one about the Wolf secret mission right?

Yeah, I've been thinking that would be one read for sure if I got around to starting reading again.

it's good.  Love the inside look at Clan society.

This is not a wholly unbiased take, but the ELH series has also been pretty solid on kindle.   :)

Also, Jason Schmetzer's Capellan story (the name of which escapes me) was really good, the only shortcoming being it just kinda ENDS because there's CLEARLY another shoe to drop down the road (people suspect a CC civil war, and I'm not under an NDA, so I can 100% tell you honestly I have NOOOO idea and I'm excited as a fan to find out!  :)

honestly, it's an exciting time to get back into the fiction because, for the first time in years, the storyline isn't beholden to anything from before, but whatever TPTB want to make it.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: 01 December 2021, 01:44:10 »
Icons of War you say?

I'll give it a try, I'm not adverse to the new setting in theory, but nothing I've seen so far has held my interest enough to jump back in again.

Hour of the Wolf, for example, was good but we're House Davion, not Clan Wolf or the Terran Hegemony...er, the Republic of the Sphere. 

The fact that VSD sold his sword to that bunch, along with more than a few other FedSons, was reason enough for me to not like them, but I'll still not support the descendants of the Deserter over my own. House just to get to read a story.

Hour of the Wolf was good in the sense that the Republic of the Sphere got what was coming to it. Otherwise, it just confirmed to me that Devlin Stone was a hype machine without any substance. And the universe is better off without the Republic or Stone.

Victor becoming a Stoner never sat well with me, but maybe surviving the Arc Royal bombing screwed with his mind? I once had an idea where for a fanfic where Victor returns to the Suns to become Champion during the Jihad, but other than featuring Jade Davion growing up on New Avalon. I could never figure out what would be the payoff. Sure, it’d be fun to write out a story where the Suns actually wins, but when I have tried to work out the story, it just too much like fan fiction like my last attempt. So I gave up on it.

I hope for a good canon Federated Suns story someday where the story doesn’t feels like the author is apologizing for the Suns getting a win. The last one really was Fortress of Lies, and that was only quasi Suns.

For now, Icons of War really showed a side of Clan Society which really doesn’t get explored a lot, and how people survive on the other side of the tracks in the Clans when everything falls apart. It was really good. Plus, the Republic isn’t in the book at all.

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #191 on: 01 December 2021, 02:21:59 »
Also, Jason Schmetzer's Capellan story (the name of which escapes me) was really good, the only shortcoming being it just kinda ENDS because there's CLEARLY another shoe to drop down the road (people suspect a CC civil war, and I'm not under an NDA, so I can 100% tell you honestly I have NOOOO idea and I'm excited as a fan to find out!  :)

I've gotta be honest, I have serious issues with Blood Will Tell, mainly because it, well, there's no really nice way to say this; it tries to whitewash a mass-murdering lunatic as being any better than Daoshen if/when Danai takes the Celestial Throne, and never engages with any of the large range of atrocities that she's responsible for. If Danai ever showed any comprehension of her myriad of atrocities (massacring POWs, her part of aiding & abetting the Cappies' mass slaughters and brutality, and her culpability for the nerve gas attacks & Mask kill-squads slaughtering whole towns for funsies on New Syrtis, etc.) being wrong, that would be one thing; but it honestly feels like she's memory-holed all that stuff at this point by blaming the victims thereof and the people - notably, Julian - who tried to stop her.

sighs Maybe it's just that A Splinter of Hope and its blatant attempts to BOTHSIDES a situation where, in fact, the Federated Suns are clearly, and unquestionably, in the right (as well as turning Julian into a weak-willed strawman for Danai to knock down) have just left me feeling extremely poorly disposed to the Capellans in general.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #192 on: 01 December 2021, 02:31:49 »
So nothing's changed. That's the Cappies for ya.

Hour of the Wolf was good in the sense that the Republic of the Sphere got what was coming to it. Otherwise, it just confirmed to me that Devlin Stone was a hype machine without any substance. And the universe is better off without the Republic or Stone.

Victor becoming a Stoner never sat well with me, but maybe surviving the Arc Royal bombing screwed with his mind? I once had an idea where for a fanfic where Victor returns to the Suns to become Champion during the Jihad, but other than featuring Jade Davion growing up on New Avalon. I could never figure out what would be the payoff. Sure, it’d be fun to write out a story where the Suns actually wins, but when I have tried to work out the story, it just too much like fan fiction like my last attempt. So I gave up on it.

I hope for a good canon Federated Suns story someday where the story doesn’t feels like the author is apologizing for the Suns getting a win. The last one really was Fortress of Lies, and that was only quasi Suns.

For now, Icons of War really showed a side of Clan Society which really doesn’t get explored a lot, and how people survive on the other side of the tracks in the Clans when everything falls apart. It was really good. Plus, the Republic isn’t in the book at all.

Fully agreed with all this. Fortress of Lies was a really good read.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #193 on: 01 December 2021, 10:11:38 »
Victor becoming a Stoner never sat well with me, but maybe surviving the Arc Royal bombing screwed with his mind?

Fully agreed with all this.

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying joining the Republic was out of character for the character?    That it took a bomb to mess up his head?

How is him going over to the Republic really any different than him going over to C*.
Or abandoning his throne post Serpent?
Or splitting up the FedCom & not Uniting it after the Civil War?
Or even not taking the throne for the whole nation in 3052 when his mother offered it to him.

All of those point to a guy that is looking out for the "greater good" for "all" v/s power for himself or even just "good for his nation".
He never seemed like a guy who "Liked" war but just one that was trained for it from his youth & had some talent.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #194 on: 01 December 2021, 12:10:10 »
I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying joining the Republic was out of character for the character?    That it took a bomb to mess up his head?

How is him going over to the Republic really any different than him going over to C*.
Or abandoning his throne post Serpent?
Or splitting up the FedCom & not Uniting it after the Civil War?
Or even not taking the throne for the whole nation in 3052 when his mother offered it to him.

All of those point to a guy that is looking out for the "greater good" for "all" v/s power for himself or even just "good for his nation".
He never seemed like a guy who "Liked" war but just one that was trained for it from his youth & had some talent.

It’s more the fact that I can’t believe Victor fell for Stone, but then I have to wonder why anyone fell for that guy. It’s more like that Stone was positioned to be a white knight.however, he in reality was long on speeches, but it seems that his subordinates like Bella Lee did most of the heavy lifting when it came to battle. When it came to policy, it was David Lear, and that better left unsaid about about most of what Lear’s policies we know about the better.

In short, Victor doing things for the greater good that is totally in character. The accepting of Stone is what has puzzled me for years.

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #195 on: 01 December 2021, 23:25:10 »
The writers have one hell of a Fiat.   ::)

Don't think that the cappies are going to come out well after the Wolves become the ilClan. Their goal is to recreate the Star League. By force if necessary, and they are more than willing to use force.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #196 on: 25 December 2021, 01:59:57 »
Merry Christmas, y'all.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: 25 December 2021, 11:56:18 »
Merry Christmas!

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #198 on: 25 December 2021, 16:41:57 »
Merry Christmas! Even you Federats.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: 25 December 2021, 19:19:04 »
Merry Christmas, Gents.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #200 on: 25 December 2021, 21:41:33 »
Merry Christmas Ladies, Gentlemen, NCOs, and enlisted!
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #201 on: 25 December 2021, 23:40:04 »
Merry Christmas, fellow Davions!

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #202 on: 31 December 2021, 19:27:35 »
And a Happy New Year!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #203 on: 01 January 2022, 04:15:02 »
Happy New Year!

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #204 on: 23 January 2022, 19:48:37 »
Belated best wishes for an improved 22 folks.

Of all things I found myself expressing an opinion or two, up North.  The business of
the FS recovery, in the current era.  I remain as ever, pragmatic and of the hope that
our faction will be written well and kindly.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #205 on: 24 January 2022, 05:41:18 »
The title "Dominions Divided" hopefully doesn't include the Davion dominions.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #206 on: 26 January 2022, 12:06:17 »
Belated best wishes for an improved 22 folks.

. . .the hope that
our faction will be written well and kindly.

One can hope, but at the least Stone is dead.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #207 on: 26 January 2022, 12:29:34 »
They left no Stone un-urned  ;)
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #208 on: 31 January 2022, 02:31:15 »
The more I read, the more I am convinced several people had some interesting ideas and characters to add to the universe, and rather than flesh those out, the LD's just took a hammer to whomever and whatever in an effort to advance a storyline that at best seemed to be written in Jello on a Houston sidewalk in the middle of July...but damned if they didn't fit that squared peg into a round hole.  They good/high points are few and far between for my tastes, and I am not the most discrimiating person, at least I'd like to think I'm not.

Oh well, at least most of the novels are OK.

Dav
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #209 on: 31 January 2022, 22:52:09 »
BTW, I just got Rec Guide 21, and my Kickstarter character is in it.  'Tis glorious.  I'm honestly kind of shocked, a notable mechwarrior isn't really where I was expecting him to show up, given his current occupation.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2022, 22:55:54 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Register