Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf  (Read 3500 times)

Andrewsarchus

• Recruit
Hour of the Wolf
« on: 30 August 2021, 18:46:19 »
An excellent story. I would put it on par with anything I have read from Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, William Gibson and David Brin. I was especially pleased by the ending, it was quite a fly in the ointment, but in a good way - kind of like an olive to top off a fine martini. Stone still has some tricks it seems. The action was non-stop, but never boring : which is rare. The strategic and tactical depth was Napoleonic. Overall I loved it. 6 stars out of 5. A classic, which will unfortunately not be given the credit the author deserves due to the fact that our culture has some prejudice against fan fiction (even though classics like the 'Three Musketeers' and their sequels can be considered fan fiction. ) A novel which ended a story arc almost thirty years in the making could not have had a better climax. Thank you Blaine Lee Pardoe.
"The Winning Strategy of one war, becomes the losing strategy of the next BECAUSE it was the winning strategy. " - The Dialectics of War

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Hour of the Wolf
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2021, 18:57:53 »
LOL. Not how most (active) people on the boards read the book :)

There is a very long thread on this. And then there is the hilarious retelling of the book bu liam's ghost. Enjoy!

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/novel-and-sourcebook-reviews/hour-of-the-wolf-a-running-review/
« Last Edit: 30 August 2021, 19:00:01 by Elmoth »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2021, 19:02:20 »
“ due to the fact that our culture has some prejudice against fan fiction”
Did you call Hour of the Wolf fan fiction?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Andrewsarchus

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2021, 19:24:56 »
“ due to the fact that our culture has some prejudice against fan fiction”
Did you call Hour of the Wolf fan fiction?

My apologies if you take it that way. I just meant it in the literal sense - fiction made around a fandom universe. Many would see it that way, I did not mean the word in a strict but very lose sense. Not that fan fiction is bad - I have seen much better then canon. Regardless I found the work enthralling. Both Alaric and Malvina were brilliant characters. It was like seeing a match between Genghis Khan and Napoleon.
"The Winning Strategy of one war, becomes the losing strategy of the next BECAUSE it was the winning strategy. " - The Dialectics of War

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2021, 19:30:12 »
Since I got mentioned, I feel the need to reiterate that people are allowed to like things other people dislike.

And I certainly hope we can all be content to disagree without it becoming a whole thing.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Andrewsarchus

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2021, 19:40:45 »

And I certainly hope we can all be content to disagree without it becoming a whole thing.

Blasphemy! I can prove my taste in literature is superior with numbers and graphs!  ;D