Author Topic: (Answered) QuadVee and LAM equipment  (Read 2681 times)

RifleMech

• Major
(Answered) QuadVee and LAM equipment
« on: 01 September 2021, 20:38:07 »
IO p 134, (QuadVees)
IO p 114-115,111 (LAMs)
IO p 120 (Jump Jets)
TM p 195 (External Consumables Pod)
TO p AU&E p149-150 (Remote Camera)
CO p 213 (Jump Jets)
XTRO:SW p 17 (Jump Jets)

IO says QuadVees are built with a Clan Technology Base. That's a pretty big Tech Base and other than Cockpits, I don't see any restrictions. Just some must includes.  Does that mean I could build an OMNI Combat Engineering QuadVee with a IndustrialMech Chassis, a FC or IC Engine, with various configurations of  industrial items such as Backhoes, saws, lift hoists, cargo bays, dumpers, bridge layers, Pile Drivers, etc?

Is there anything I can't put on a QuadVee?  Legally.

Can LAMs use Primitive Jump Jets or Prototype Improved Jump Jets? If yes, do I presume they all have to be the same type? Also if yes, would Primitive Jump Jet's +3 modifier to landing apply in all modes or just BattleMech?

Using the FrankenMech Rules, can a LAM, or any mech or vehicle, use larger Jump Jets and get more MP? For example using a 2 ton Jump Jet on a Light Mech and getting 4 Jump MP? I thought there'd been a ruling on this but I'm not seeing it in the book so I'm double checking.  If it is possible to do that, would any extra jump MP beyond the Mech's walking or running speed as the case may be, be wasted? Like an UrbanMech with a single 2 ton Jump Jet still only jumping 2 MP, not 4.

I'm going to guess, LAMs can use multiple smaller jump jets the way Mechs can but they'd have the Illegal Quirk since at that point the LAMs would weigh 60 tons or more?.

I was under the impression that due to an old ruling here that because LAMs can carry External Fuel Tanks in their Bomb Bays they could also carry External Consumables Pod. I was also under the impression that because LAMs could carry external TAG Pods in their Bomb Bays, that they could also carry Recon Camera Pods.  Are those rulings still valid? I ask because I don't see them listed under LAM's Bomb Ordnance Table. Of course I don't see them listed under any bomb tables.  :(

What are the Tech and Availability Ratings of the External Consumables Pod and their Costs?

« Last Edit: 03 December 2022, 04:16:47 by Xotl »

RifleMech

• Major
Re: QuadVee and LAM equipment
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2022, 10:22:09 »
Bump  :)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2022, 23:19:28 »
Bump

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2022, 18:39:26 »
IO p 134, (QuadVees)
IO p 114-115,111 (LAMs)
IO p 120 (Jump Jets)
TM p 195 (External Consumables Pod)
TO p AU&E p149-150 (Remote Camera)
CO p 213 (Jump Jets)
XTRO:SW p 17 (Jump Jets)

IO says QuadVees are built with a Clan Technology Base. That's a pretty big Tech Base and other than Cockpits, I don't see any restrictions. Just some must includes.  Does that mean I could build an OMNI Combat Engineering QuadVee with a IndustrialMech Chassis, a FC or IC Engine, with various configurations of  industrial items such as Backhoes, saws, lift hoists, cargo bays, dumpers, bridge layers, Pile Drivers, etc?

Is there anything I can't put on a QuadVee?  Legally.

If there's a specific issue you have with the rules, we can cover that.  But "check every piece of equipment and let me know if there's something that might hypothetically be missing" is a bit beyond our purview.  Offhand, industrialmech cockpits are out?

Can LAMs use Primitive Jump Jets or Prototype Improved Jump Jets? If yes, do I presume they all have to be the same type? Also if yes, would Primitive Jump Jet's +3 modifier to landing apply in all modes or just BattleMech?

Per IntOps p.108, the only Primitive equipment that may be used on LAMs are Primitive weapons.  Prototype improved jump jets may be used, and---per the BattleMech construction rules that the LAM rules state to follow---all jump jets must always be the same type.  The +3 modifier applies to all modes.

Using the FrankenMech Rules, can a LAM, or any mech or vehicle, use larger Jump Jets and get more MP? For example using a 2 ton Jump Jet on a Light Mech and getting 4 Jump MP? I thought there'd been a ruling on this but I'm not seeing it in the book so I'm double checking.  If it is possible to do that, would any extra jump MP beyond the Mech's walking or running speed as the case may be, be wasted? Like an UrbanMech with a single 2 ton Jump Jet still only jumping 2 MP, not 4.

The FrankenMech rules in Campaign Operations p.213 are explicit that heavier jump jets cannot be used.

I was under the impression that due to an old ruling here that because LAMs can carry External Fuel Tanks in their Bomb Bays they could also carry External Consumables Pod. I was also under the impression that because LAMs could carry external TAG Pods in their Bomb Bays, that they could also carry Recon Camera Pods.  Are those rulings still valid? I ask because I don't see them listed under LAM's Bomb Ordnance Table. Of course I don't see them listed under any bomb tables.

Not sure which rulings you're referring to.  Links for this sort of thing are very helpful.

What are the Tech and Availability Ratings of the External Consumables Pod and their Costs?

If they're not published yet, they're not available at this time and you'd have to house rule it, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2022, 18:42:52 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2022, 21:24:36 »
If there's a specific issue you have with the rules, we can cover that.  But "check every piece of equipment and let me know if there's something that might hypothetically be missing" is a bit beyond our purview.  Offhand, industrialmech cockpits are out?

Works for me.  :thumbsup:

Per IntOps p.108, the only Primitive equipment that may be used on LAMs are Primitive weapons.  Prototype improved jump jets may be used, and---per the BattleMech construction rules that the LAM rules state to follow---all jump jets must always be the same type.  The +3 modifier applies to all modes.

Cool!

The FrankenMech rules in Campaign Operations p.213 are explicit that heavier jump jets cannot be used.

Oh well. It was a thought.  xp

Not sure which rulings you're referring to.  Links for this sort of thing are very helpful.

You said LAMs could carry them here a couple years ago but I don't see them listed in IO. Maybe they got forgotten?
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/rules-questions/answered-bombing-questions/msg1538853/#msg1538853

If they're not published yet, they're not available at this time and you'd have to house rule it, I'm afraid.

I can do that.  :)

Thanks!  :thumbsup: