Author Topic: Recognition Guide: ilClan Discussion Part 4 - Now Made From 100% Real ilClan  (Read 110081 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
I echo the call to have at least one IS power having a current version of this mech!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MarauderD

• Major
Are you saying the IS powers are the Sean Astin if the Battletexh universe?  😝

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
I always use the MUL to find which Rec Guide something is in.

:thumbsup:

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
Also:  as the proud new Owner of no less than three Wave 2 Orions, I echo the call to have at least one IS power having a current version of this mech!
Empire Alone; we'll just take some as we roll over the border!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I was delighted with this volume of the guide. The iron cheetah entry was great especially the backstory that was posted here,  it's really touching.

The scorpion is something I've been waiting for. It looks great. The stats are going to be fun to do, not too crazy about the light PPC version though. I can't wait till this bad boy gets into miniature form. Especially the metal version of it because I'm waiting for spare parts for this thing. Especially the barrel because my old one needs a replacement barrel one.  I really don't want to kit bash it's barrel.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
So...which 'Mech is better: the Dire Wolf, the Tomahawk, or the Iron Cheetah?

That's a really tough call. The Tomahawk has the advantage in throw weight, but the Iron Cheetah has a slight edge in mobility, especially in the B config. The Dire Wolf suffers from configurations that are not as optimized as the others, though the Widowmaker would likely smash either one of them. I'd probably have to hand it to either the Tomahawk II A or the Iron Cheetah B.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Way I see it, it's better that all three are so close performance wise so we can have something other than a Dire Wolf vs Dire Wolf match ups. Looking forward to a 3 way brawl between a Dire Wolf and a Tomahawk.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
You know, at the 11th hour we included an easter egg to get the Bears - who, let's be honest, have been whinging true to usual form all along this entire RecGuide series  :violin:   :D - even more excited, but it's not been called out yet...
The Rime Otter is fast enough to keep up with a Fire Moth and rugged enough to stand beside a Mastodon
Question....

I saw that, and assumed the Mastodon would not be a Bear Mech for some reason...
so I guess the real question is, are the Kontio and Mastodon both in the RecGuides? or is one (or both) coming later

and for the life of me, all I can think of when I hear Mastodon is the Power Rangers DinoZord :D
« Last Edit: 17 October 2021, 09:03:33 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
You know, at the 11th hour we included an easter egg to get the Bears - who, let's be honest, have been whinging true to usual form all along this entire RecGuide series  :violin:   :D - even more excited, but it's not been called out yet...

Well ain't that a funny coincidence, I'm kind of excited about it too.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
So far, most mentioned mechs have appeared in RGs. So I'd say the Mastodon is a safe bet. The Kontio is probably making an appearance too.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
I'm curious if the Hell's Horses are going to get a new 'Mech. Now major power and the Snow Ravens have gotten one except them and it sounds like the Ghost Bears are getting a few.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
I'm curious if the Hell's Horses are going to get a new 'Mech. Now major power and the Snow Ravens have gotten one except them and it sounds like the Ghost Bears are getting a few.

while I hope they do, they have gotten so many of the older 'Mechs I feel like the Horses are being portrayed as a faction that has to make do with what it can get its hands on
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
what it can get its hands on

Falcon OZ:

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I wonder which guide the Kodiak will show up in.  Also wondering who's going to wind up producing the Masakari: here's hoping it's not the Sea Foxes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Is it a coincidence that the base chassis of the Rime Otter wound up being quite similar stat-wise to that of the Sun Bear?
I have spoken.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I wonder which guide the Kodiak will show up in.  Also wondering who's going to wind up producing the Masakari: here's hoping it's not the Sea Foxes.

I think the Sea Foxes are the most likely source. The Ebon Jaguar, Iron Cheetah, Huntsman, Shadow Cat, Shadow Cat III, others... they make enough stuff one more doesn't seem impossible. I'll grant they'd be a boring source, and i'd imagine their current products are stretching their manufacturing capabilities as it is.

Figure the Hell's Horses may be potential source as well, as it is they've either captured Wolf production facilities or put old 'Mechs like the Mad Dog and Dire Wolf back into production. The biggest question is if they'd need/want another assault 'Mech.

The Republic of the Sphere could have been making them, for the Fidelis, though i suspect any source is very new, after 3145. And don't think the RotS would've created a Warhawk factory this late.

I regard the source being the Scorpion Empire to be unlikely. That the Scorpion and Goliath OmniMech projects seem to be unfounded rumors in opinion of Sea Foxes makes me skeptical they'd be manufacturing Warhawks either, especially if the Snow Fox OmniMech is just a pilot project (though i suppose that could've meant pilot project for OmniQuads than OmniMechs in general). Seems to me that any contact they may have is very limited, and thus trading OmniMechs seems unlikely. (Also figure these tidbits about the Scorpion Empire are building for some stuff in the future more so than them being involved in IS affairs in any way right now.)

Though very unlikely, it would be amusing if the Warhawk was produced by Assault Tech Industries in Donegal. The Lyrans have good grasp of ClanTech, with or without help of Wolves-in-Exile. And the Warhawk is big and imposing, though admittedly faster than typical Lyran preferences  ;D

Figure other options, be they Clan or Spheroid, are less likely than the ones i laid out above.

Of course, there's always a possibility of more than one source.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Yeah, the Foxes are the most likely ones to produce it, which is boring because they're producing so much of the Rec Guide machines.  Which is why I hope it's someone else.

The real issue is how long it's been out of production: there's only so many scenarios for how it's getting built again that aren't going to feel totally contrived.  Stuff like the Loki and Black Hawk worked because it made sense for the Horses to begin building them as cheap and relatively easy to produce machines when they needed quantity more than quality.  The Masakari doesn't make sense for that.

Hmm, maybe the Combine will discover a hard drive with the data that was captured by Task Force Serpent that's been sitting in the back of a storage room for the last 80 years.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hmm, maybe the Combine will discover a hard drive with the data that was captured by Task Force Serpent that's been sitting in the back of a storage room for the last 80 years.
Strictly speaking i don't think the plans are a problem, if nothing else, the Sea Foxes probably would be willing to sell the plans. (Or an existing 'Mech can be dismantled and reverse engineered.)

I did consider the Combine producing the Warhawk. It would be neat and in a sense very fitting. But the issue here is that the Combine didn't take over all the Nova Cat production facilities (some were sold to Sea Foxes), and the Combine is heavily reliant on the Sea Foxes for ClanTech maintenance. So them producing a different Clan 'Mech seems unlikely, more so than the other ideas i have.

Need to check 80-90 ton 'Mechs for various factions, see who has some kind of gap there.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Way I see it, it's better that all three are so close performance wise so we can have something other than a Dire Wolf vs Dire Wolf match ups. Looking forward to a 3 way brawl between a Dire Wolf and a Tomahawk.
I said have before this is a heavy metal TRO. As such this scenario has been played out a bit. When the 95+ Mechs play in numbers TACs increase to become more than bad luck. It makes the Mechs much of a muchness.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Interesting thing to note is the Wolves will have captured a whole lot of Iron Cheetahs. Which means the Wolves will be one of the biggest users of the design after 3151.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
Question....

I saw that, and assumed the Mastadon would not be a Bear Mech for some reason...
so I guess the real question is, are the Kontio and Mastadon both in the RecGuides? or is one (or both) coming later

Any chance they are the same at this point?  A few of the earlier name drops from the novels got different names.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Any chance they are the same at this point?  A few of the earlier name drops from the novels got different names.

No.

The only names that were incorrectly put into a novel and have since been replaced were the Athalwolf and Artos (which are now the Stormwolf and Amarok).

The Kontio and Mastadon are very distinct.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
So we are getting 2 distinct mechs, (assumedly) available for Ghost Bear. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
That's a really tough call. The Tomahawk has the advantage in throw weight, but the Iron Cheetah has a slight edge in mobility, especially in the B config. The Dire Wolf suffers from configurations that are not as optimized as the others, though the Widowmaker would likely smash either one of them. I'd probably have to hand it to either the Tomahawk II A or the Iron Cheetah B.
I personally like the original Tomahawk's weapon configurations.  While i know it's slower than Iron Cheetah, I like character the original Tomahawk had.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
Tell 'em to give us more Shark/Fox Mechs, so I can avoid any more "It's a nice looking force but it's all stuff any Clan could have, it doesn't really feel like a Shark/Fox force" conversations.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer

It was notes in thr Tukayyid sourcebook that the Sharks were big users of the Warhawk.  Because of that, the Foxes are the most likely candidate to be building them

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Tell 'em to give us more Shark/Fox Mechs, so I can avoid any more "It's a nice looking force but it's all stuff any Clan could have, it doesn't really feel like a Shark/Fox force" conversations.

The thing about shark/fox mechs is they'd probably be selling it to someone else anyway.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I personally like the original Tomahawk's weapon configurations.  While i know it's slower than Iron Cheetah, I like character the original Tomahawk had.

I definitely like the Tomahawk better than the Tomahawk II.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
It's there a real difference between them that I missed? All I caught when they were published at the same time was that there were a LOT of Tomahawk sheets, and only some were IIs. Was the original Tomahawk published elsewhere beforehand?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
The Tomahawk uses standard structure and is described as a prototype version that never entered full production.

The Tomahawk II uses endo composite structure and is the production version.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!