Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon III: Admittedly, We May Have Falconed a Little Too Hard  (Read 100057 times)

BrianDavion

• Captain
That's... a really good analogy, actually.

I'd have found the whole thing easier to swallow had there been any build-up to it. But it was such a drastic shift in their dynamic out of absolutely nowhere, and I'm not a fan of any writer ignoring previously-established characterization to drive plot.

"Fleeting
video footage of the girl from the aftermath of several battles during
Malvina’s rampage towards Tharkad shows us a teenager whose
body language and physical reactions are, to quote Dr. Lambert in
the psyops division, “textbook abuse victim combined with posttraumatic
stress.”"
- Era report 3145.

we last saw Cynthy in a novel in rending of Falcons, a novel where she was a 5 year old girl. by 3145 she's a 15 year old, and on Terra she was a 20 year old woman.

The Suns will shine again

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
“So, what do we actually know about our glorious new Khan?”

“Uh, She opposed the Mongol Doctrine,”

“I meant as a person.”

“She likes knives?”

“I thought so.”
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Church14

• Lieutenant
Side note: Which Shrapnel story about Highlanders and Jade Falcon you guys mentioned ?
Alpha Strike Box tells about Falcons fighting Highlanders

Shrapnel 11 discusses highlanders post Terra

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
"Fleeting
video footage of the girl from the aftermath of several battles during
Malvina’s rampage towards Tharkad shows us a teenager whose
body language and physical reactions are, to quote Dr. Lambert in
the psyops division, “textbook abuse victim combined with posttraumatic
stress.”"
- Era report 3145.

Another example of exactly what I was talking about.

Sorry, but you're not going to convince me that this wasn't a characterization shift. Best to just agree to disagree and move on.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

BrianDavion

• Captain
Another example of exactly what I was talking about.

Sorry, but you're not going to convince me that this wasn't a characterization shift. Best to just agree to disagree and move on.

except that era report 3145 wasn't written by Blaine Lee Pardoe, so claiming this is "BLP's fault" isn't true, and yet again, the last time we saw Cyynthy in the books, she was 5, ten years is a LOOOONG time for a relationship to evolve and change.

a cute 5 year old becomes a lippy 15 year old, and gets beaten down.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
The last time we saw Cynthy in a novel was "A Bonfire of Worlds", a scant few years before ER3145, and she wasn't being abused there, either.

ER3145 wasn't his fault, but his novels are. So again, agree to disagree, because we will never see eye-to-eye on this.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2023, 16:15:02 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

BrianDavion

• Captain
The last time we saw Cynthy in a novel was "A Bonfire of Worlds", a scant few years before ER3145, and she wasn't being abused there, either.

ER3145 wasn't his fault, but his novels are. So again, agree to disagree, because we will never see eye-to-eye on this.

yes she was being abused, she was ALWAYS being abused.

even if it wasn't physical it was being absued, and if you think her relationship with Malvina wasn't abusive then... well.. don't have kids.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
even if it wasn't physical it was being absued, and if you think her relationship with Malvina wasn't abusive then... well.. don't have kids.

You damn well know I'm referring to the violent physical abuse. Please don't be intellectually dishonest if you're going to talk to me.

As for having kids, I wouldn't want them anyway. I hate kids. That's money I could be spending on myself.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Could we drop this already?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Could we drop this already?

++MODERATOR NOTICE++

Yes. Let's.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
I had a dream !

Turkina Elizabeth Hazen Nova Catbird showed me

Something BIG Jade Falcon is coming (as in official stuff) 8)

All I can say lol, as in I was reviewing the material, looking over maps, mechs, books etc, the dates 3152 towards the end, (3156?) And was so happy, that's it
« Last Edit: 19 January 2023, 02:16:34 by JAMES_PRYDE »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
I had a dream !

Turkina Elizabeth Hazen Nova Catbird showed me

Something BIG Jade Falcon is coming (as in official stuff) 8)

All I can say lol, as in I was reviewing the material, looking over maps, mechs, books etc, the dates 3152 towards the end, (3156?) And was so happy, that's it

My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
This is why I don't eat spicy food before bedtime. To avoid nova catbirds.  :D

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Is this like those edited pics where you got a bird with cat's face/head?
So a Jade Falcon with Nova Cat face?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
That seems more like a Scorpion vision…
 ???
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
Did someone find the secret stash of necrosia? Or take lessons by a Nova cat mystic?

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
hahah

No, seriously, I had a dream, normal, non necrosia induced dream 8)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
Soooo

Any "new" (brief) snippets from DD that pertain to us ?

Besides me seeing Alaric losing credibility

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Only Chistu's incursion to the RasDom from their POV.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
Only Chistu's incursion to the RasDom from their POV.

speaking of, he got basically a Cluster's worth of sib-cadets...it's unlikely they all pass muster to become warriors (unless the Falcons are desperate enough to graduate them all--which they are), where do they go from there? you think Chistu is pulling the same stunt across Horse space? grabbing up what sibkos where he can?
even if he grabs a ton of sibkos, how long until they are warriors and how long until they have the 'Mechs to equip them?
how much time does Chistu have?
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

BrianDavion

• Captain
speaking of, he got basically a Cluster's worth of sib-cadets...it's unlikely they all pass muster to become warriors (unless the Falcons are desperate enough to graduate them all--which they are), where do they go from there? you think Chistu is pulling the same stunt across Horse space? grabbing up what sibkos where he can?
even if he grabs a ton of sibkos, how long until they are warriors and how long until they have the 'Mechs to equip them?
how much time does Chistu have?

the ones who failed where IIRC shunted into conventional units.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
you think Chistu is pulling the same stunt across Horse space? grabbing up what sibkos where he can?

I doubt it. Chistu can't afford to further antagonize the Horses, especially not with a new Khan in charge that won't hold back like the last one did and certainly has an axe to grind against Chistu for Sudeten, and his realm is too new, too fragile, and too surrounded by enemies to allow him to get too adventurous.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Figure Chistu will try to expand in the Hinterlands next. Secure more territory, just build-up everything. Figure he'll train the sibbies by using them offensively. Looking at the latest map (Tamar Rising page 72), there are unclaimed worlds toward the Alyina Mercantile League. Or he could try to take out Malthus Confederation. If he wants a stronger opponent, the Tamar Pact could be a target.
The sibko-grab seems to have been basically just a start but an extremely dangerous, if not even impossible, stunt to repeat. Not because it is unusual for the Clans, more like it was so humiliating to the Rasalhague Dominion.
The Horses seem too established and powerful to be a viable target, except perhaps small raids for material at best. Maybe. Currently re-reading Tamar Rising, need to bring myself up to speed again.

BrianDavion

• Captain
I'm not sure Jiyi will wanna expand too recklessly, it might be best to keep to worlds a single jump from Sudeten so that he can rapidly bring his full force to bear

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Hinterlands seems like a race against time. Whoever there gets most territory (as that comes with people, resources, production capability) may end up overall in the strongest position. To be sure, there are dangers in expansion too, as the powers in the Hinterlands have extremely limited forces overall.
Perhaps it will become a free for all land that constantly changes owners?

Almotacen at least is within 30ly from Sudeten, so it might be the next target, and unclaimed. If Chistu is willing to attack the Horses, Colmar looks like it might secure some buffer.

BrianDavion

• Captain
Well none of the unclaimed worlds have any major military facilities that I can find

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Fair enough, though people, resources, tax income, all that can be still worth it even if there are no major production centers.
At least given how BattleTech nations are so insistent on claiming territory so often seemingly just for sake of claiming it.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
There's a lot of historical precedent for states claiming territory with no, or even negative, value for a variety of reasons. And who hasn't conquered territory in a strategy game to make your name bigger or make the border look neater?
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
And who hasn't conquered territory in a strategy game to make your name bigger or make the border look neater?
Ah yes, the Jade Falcons conquering territory just to avoid border gore  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
the ones who failed where IIRC shunted into conventional units.

Yeah, he guaranteed every one of them a position in the warrior caste regardless of whether they could pass a Trial of Position or not.  The trial results just determine where they'll end up. And he's got enough factories that he's got no shortage of equipment, what he needed were bodies to pilot that equipment.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman