Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon III: Admittedly, We May Have Falconed a Little Too Hard  (Read 100035 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
They've been Jade Falcon territory for almost as long as the time between the end of the Ottoman Empire and now.  They're not an occupation zone in any meaningful sense of the word.

The Falcons themselves called it an occupation zone right up until they abandoned it (and certainly treated it as such). Think I'll take their word for it.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
On Tamar Rising map, yes it's called "correctly" Clan Jade Falcon, but in the novels, it is still referred to as the "Occupation Zone". Will there be an update now, especially under the new Jiyi era ?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
When they mention "Occupation Zone" in the novels, they're referring to the Hinterlands as a whole: the former Jade Falcon Occupation Zone. I don't think anyone's actually used the term Hinterlands term in a story yet. They refer to the Hinterlands in those terms ("former Occupation Zone") many times in Tamar Rising. Jiyi's remnant seems to be just "Clan Jade Falcon". If his faction survives whatever comes next, be it the Horses coming back to finish the job now that the guy who wanted to finish them off the first time is in charge or whatever the hell is coming with Alaric and this new Star League, maybe they'll get a chance to evolve into something more.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
Speaking of "what's coming next" mainly any updates on For Ilkhan's Eyes Only ?

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Absolutely nothing. In all likelihood, we *might* get a teaser in the form of the Table of Contents shortly before the book itself comes out, but I would be extremely surprised if we got anything else before the actual release.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Thankfully the Ghost Bears haven’t had this problem of what to call our area since the WoR/Jihad.

Of course we have two names…. And a mini civil war that wrecked 30% of the Touman… but at least we didn’t do all… ‘that’.

Now I personally still call it the Jade Falcon OZ but that’s because that’s the way I’ve seen it in most fiction with no real accepted changed name. The Raven Alliance and the Wolf Empire now have accepted names but I’d call the Hell Horses OZ the same way. The AML has a new name where as Jiyi has kept the OG Jade Falcon Clan moniker. Just my two cents.

BaldDen

• Sergeant
Probably to emphasize that they never integrated with the natives the way that the Bears or Ravens did.
Natives are so unintegrated into the clan that they do not want to join the LC fractions

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
Just because you hate the current boss, doesn't mean you'd welcome a return of the utterly incompetent old boss.
My wife writes books

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Just because you hate the current boss, doesn't mean you'd welcome a return of the utterly incompetent old boss.

Callandre Kell and Sarah Regis are picture-perfect examples of this truth.

Metallgewitter

• Captain

The first example would be the planet Malibu during the FedCom civil War. Adam Steiner wanted to conquer it but the population said "No thank you" so they fought on the moon for the possesion of the loading station

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
The AML has a new name where as Jiyi has kept the OG Jade Falcon Clan moniker. Just my two cents.

But that's the point I'm trying to make, its no longer "technically" an occupation zone, it is simply "Clan Jade Falcon" and their space, thus in fiction, accurate to be called "Clan Jade Falcon Space", just as with the other Hinterland states, they are their own "space/territory", yes though, on a larger picture, on the worlds of the former Occupation Zone, but each new era faction owns its own space

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
But that's the point I'm trying to make, its no longer "technically" an occupation zone, it is simply "Clan Jade Falcon" and their space, thus in fiction, accurate to be called "Clan Jade Falcon Space", just as with the other Hinterland states, they are their own "space/territory", yes though, on a larger picture, on the worlds of the former Occupation Zone, but each new era faction owns its own space

It's been the Jade Falcon Occupation Zone for literally a century in-universe. Give it longer than five minutes before expecting people to call it something else.

And technically, it is still an Occupation Zone. It's just a lot smaller now.  ;D
« Last Edit: 30 June 2023, 10:57:02 by tassa_kay »

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
The JF OZ area is in turmoil right now. Give it time for events to play out before it gets a new name.

I've had a theory that we will see the world's return to the Lyran Commonwealth but still be Jade Falcon world's. Not really Lyran world's but not independent Jade Falcon world's either. Lyran world's run by the Jade Falcons as thier own. The Lyrans don't have to garrison them because the Falcons do that.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
I've had a theory that we will see the world's return to the Lyran Commonwealth but still be Jade Falcon world's. Not really Lyran world's but not independent Jade Falcon world's either. Lyran world's run by the Jade Falcons as thier own. The Lyrans don't have to garrison them because the Falcons do that.

I kind of hope this doesn't happen, because I'd hate to see the remnant Falcons just end up as the Lyrans' pet Clan like the Exiled Wolves were before them. I want BattleTech to do something a little different for a change.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I can't see anyone in the Commonwealth being willing to let the Falcons exist as a client state.  They're probably going to be willing to turn a blind eye as long as Tamar and Arc Royal are there to function as a buffer region, but accepting anything named "Falcon" into Lyran space is going to go poorly.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Yeah, I imagine the river of bad blood between the Lyrans and the Falcons is not something to be bridged.  It's just that the Lyrans can't do squat right now about it, which leaves the former JFOZ up to petty warlords looking to carve an empire from the stars left behind.

Which I'm all for, I like the smaller factions.  The AML is potentially fascinating as a political construct, even if I'm pro-Tamar Pact as far as the region goes. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
Question: Malvina Hazen started off commanding Delta Galaxy, the Gyrfalcons. During her command time, the Gyrfalcons seemed almost universally behind her Mongol Philosphy. In FM3145 it's mentioned that she took some of her supporters from Delta to form Omega. Starting in The Anvil though, Delta Galaxy has somehow become a dumping ground for anti-Mongol warriors, starting with Galaxy Commander Stephanie Chistu.

Was this an oversight from the writers' perspectives, or was the combination of casualties from Malvina's campaign + pulling her strongest supporters over to Omega enough to let Delta flip? It seemed jarring to see Delta go from one of her favorite galaxies to one she considered a dumping ground.
Clan Protectorate

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Never made sense to me, either, honestly. I just chalk it up to one of the many things that BLP ignored in order to service his plots.

You'd think that they'd have leaned into Noritomo Helmer and Zeta Galaxy (the bastion of her brother's support) instead. In fact, it would've been a much better narrative payoff to see Noritomo Helmer fill that role than Stephanie Chistu (who is basically Noritomo Helmer but with knives anyway), because there's an actual history of him pushing back against Malvina's excesses.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2023, 13:32:46 by tassa_kay »

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Which is another thing because we don’t hear a lot about Helmer and suddenly he turns up in IlClan having been taken Bondsman by the Wolves and then suddenly he’s the IlLoremaster

But agreed in that he would have been right there and a good choice for the anti-Mongol faction AND Zeta Galaxy (even if they went berserker after Aleks’s death). Not that I mind Christu but still….

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Which is another thing because we don’t hear a lot about Helmer and suddenly he turns up in IlClan having been taken Bondsman by the Wolves and then suddenly he’s the IlLoremaster

But agreed in that he would have been right there and a good choice for the anti-Mongol faction AND Zeta Galaxy (even if they went berserker after Aleks’s death). Not that I mind Christu but still….
That battle is on pg 84 in Shattered Fortress (the book that covers most everything post FM3145 and pre ilClan).

March of 3150 Clan Wolf dropped 3 clusters from Beta Galaxy (13th Wolf Guard Striker, 9th Wolf Guard Striker, and 19th Wolf Striker Cluster). Additionally there were reports the Silver Keshik came along, but these turned out to be misdirection. The Falcon saKhan, Ryan Pryde, was on planet along with the Turkina Keshik and the 124th Falcon Striker Cluster. Noritomo was leading the 124th around the streets of New London when Wolf forces collapsed a few buildings catching Noritomo's 'Mech and some others. After the Falcon forces left, Noritomo was found alive among the wreckage and made bondsman to Star Colonel Don Cooper of the 13th Wolf Guard Striker Cluster. Noritomo soon realized the Wolf touman was the best way to stop Malvina from taking Terra and he began to cooperate and within 2 weeks had his bondcord cut.

I agree, it was odd he went from being the big anti-Malvina to disappearing and then a new big anti-Malvina showing up. The interesting thing is that reading FM3145 again, there's no mention of the anti-Malvina types being grouped anywhere. Unlike Ulric putting the crusaders in Tau Galaxy and Vlad putting the wardens in Omega, Malvina seems to have kept them spread out as of FM3145. Even Noritomo was reported as being happy his galaxy was getting extra hardware and military equipment beyond what would be expected.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Church14

• Lieutenant
All I want to say is Don Cooper may be the least clan-like clan name I’ve ever read.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
Still would like to know where Ichiba Pryde went to

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Sorry Wantec I should have clarified my statement: he seems to be missing post Skye and Malvina for a couple years up until that point and suddenly he’s back. I forgot it was Shattered Fortress that mentioned that.

I also think that due to the fiction gravitating towards Christu after Coventry that they used it as a point to start dumping everything into Delta. I don’t know if their ‘long term plans’ were made with that the Falcons would survive in a fashion but it gave them a good Anti-Malvina base to start with.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
No worries. Looking at FM3145, Noritomo's cluster, the 124th Falcon Striker Cluster was stationed to Skye. Reading through Shattered Fortress, Zeta Galaxy and Noritomo's 124th were just parked on Skye. There's not much on the unit period.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
It just makes zero sense to me that Delta Galaxy would suddenly become this anti-Malvina bastion. They rode for her hard in the fiction, right down to the fact that they used a secret code of falcon screeches during in-combat communications. I'd say that they were right behind Omega Galaxy and the Raptor Keshik (and only because Malvina hand-picked those units herself) in being pro-Malvina/pro-Mongol. The lack of consistency is very frustrating.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
You forget, the more inconsistent and hypocritical, the more Clan. :thumbsup:

Delta Galaxy is truly the most Clan of any Galaxy in all of Clan Jade Falcon. Nay, in all the Clans.
My wife writes books

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
You damn well know what I meant!  ;D

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
I did and I stand by my statement.
My wife writes books

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
I'd think splitting out some of Delta to reform Omega probably accounts for the majority of the erosion of Mongol adherence to ensure Omega was reliable, but I'm away from my sources and supposing here, did Delta also fight on Hesperus II and Tharkad? Maybe combat losses also helped turn Delta right out of the Mongol camp?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
I also think that due to the fiction gravitating towards Christu

Please acknowledge that there is no R in Chistu. Reading it like that throws off my cognition, and forces me to go back and check 30 year old books to make sure that I am not responsible for grievously rewriting the time line on accident.  :)