Author Topic: Battletech Missions campaign in Phoenix, AZ  (Read 9951 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
Re: Battletech Missions campaign in Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2022, 13:21:44 »
Mission 01-04 will also be played at:
  • The Silver Key Lounge (Mesa), Saturday March 26
  • Imperial Outpost (Glendale), Saturday, April 2
« Last Edit: 14 March 2022, 17:05:57 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 08 April 2022, 11:49:51 »
Mission 01-05: In Crucis March, Castle Storms you!

Outside of Shelby City, Memphis, Crucis March, Federated Suns
July 8, 3025

Okay boys, listen up! It seems like we managed to stir up quite the hornet’s nest by getting here when we did. It looks like Duke Stephenson hired the pirates who have been plaguing this planet and then hired us to take the fall for it. Unfortunately, right now that makes us a loose end, one that his grace has decided to tie up. Remember those arms we found in his shipping container? Yeah, it looks like he’s been building up a private army of some sort, and more importantly, it looks like at least part of that private army is heading straight for you. We’ve managed to identify a small mixed unit on its way to the fortress, and the Duke has stopped answering our calls. Looks like we’ve really stepped in it this time.
Your job is simple: Hold the fortress and destroy as much of the incoming force as possible. The more of them we destroy, the less we’ll have to deal with when we go after that back-stabbing bastard. And I promise you, if there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s an employer that voids his contract by turning on his mercs.

• Games U (Gilbert) - Sunday April 10, 12p
  • The Silver Key Lounge (Mesa) - Saturday April 23, 2p
  • Imperial Outpost (Glendale) - Saturday April 30, 2p
« Last Edit: 08 April 2022, 11:57:07 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 05 May 2022, 18:19:46 »
Mission 01-06: Payback!

Shelby City, Memphis, Crucis March, Federated Suns
July 9, 3025

Okay boys, listen up! So if there’s one thing I really can’t stand, it’s getting double-crossed by my employer. What we know so far is that the Duke hired us to come here, ostensibly to help him with a pirate problem that the First Prince apparently wasn’t interested in solving. After fighting off the pirates we followed them to their hideout, where we were able to put together that they weren’t actually pirates, but instead another mercenary company hired by the duke to raid his own planet!
From what we can tell, it seems that the Duke is making some sort of power play. It’s a bit of an open secret that the more remote provinces of the Federated Suns have long held to the notion that they’re not held in particularly high regard by New Avalon. Our guess is that Duke Stephenson is hoping to put together a coalition of other disgruntled backwater worlds. His first step is to make the First Prince look ineffectual at defending them while making his (and presumably neighboring) worlds look endangered. Then he makes it look like he’s got what he needs to defend them. Only problem is that he hired the wrong Mercs…
Speaking of which - Because he tried to kill us last night, we’re no longer bound by our contract. Also, because he tried to kill us last night, we’ve got a score to settle. I want you guys to go get him to prove that double crossing us is a bad idea. The duke is in Shelby City, roughly here at grid point Beta. Go get him! We’re fairly confident that if you can bring him in alive there will be a big reward from the First Prince - he’s not known for being terribly friendly towards traitors.

• The Silver Key Lounge (Mesa) - Saturday May 21, 2p
  • Imperial Outpost (Glendale) - Saturday June 4, 2p
  • Games U (Gilbert) - Sunday June 12, 12p
« Last Edit: 08 May 2022, 19:00:17 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #33 on: 12 June 2022, 00:02:47 »
  • Games U (Gilbert) - Sunday June 12, 12p

Finally!  A weekend I'm not occupied,  Hope to see you there!
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2022, 19:35:38 »
Taking a break until August.

While you wait, players will want to rebuild their characters in accordance with the new rules. Keep everything you've earned, but remove all your skill improvements and SPAs. Use your XP to buy them again using the new rules.

The new rules: https://app.box.com/s/sv4u402mw67y10hpqczo7zvu9ozcqj65

Also, I'll be running a non-campaign game 2pm on July 23 at Imperial Outpost.
Scenario: https://mailchi.mp/068884c04517/battletech-king-of-the-hill-imperial-outpost-july-23-2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 12 July 2022, 12:00:13 »
Questions about the new rules

#1.
Why is the 45 point Fed Suns ability clearly worse than the 30 point Medium Mech ability?

#2.
What is the point of the 15-30-45 point "chains" if the rules state that every level still counts as a different special ability?
So you have to buy the lower abilities, the upper abilities cost 2-3x as much & the abilities themselves seem very questionable in value.

#3.
Why are the Faction Ability "chains" exempt from the special ability limits.
I get why they were originally but it just seems odd that this chain is all 1 ability but the others are not.

#4. 
Why are the 4 "melee" abilities all different abilities but stuff like Edge/Luck/Saboteur get to be purchased 3x as a single ability?

#5.
Why are the Edge/Luck/Saboteur abilities allowed to be multiple purchases w/o being increasing price or counting as separate abilities.

#6A/B
Why does FS Faction 15 ability has no use for multiple people on a side to have?
Why does FS Faction ability have no use if you have a FS player on each team?

Comment:
From what I can see the abilities do NOT seem well balanced against each other in price or in streamlined rules.
As it stands now the 45 point abilities have Near Zero use since they are a separate ability.  Other than the Factional 45.

Suggestions:
Redo the special ability rules to create more "groups" of similar abilities.
Allow a "group" to be a single special ability tree & working through the tree is a single "special ability" for the limits.
For the FS ability at 15, I'd change it to be a re-roll of initiative each game to account for multiple players on a side &/or on each side.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 12:07:02 by Hellraiser »

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 12 July 2022, 16:34:28 »
Give it time. While it's still in beta, a lot of this stuff has been playtested by the Missions team. There are a number of things whose balance isn't immediately apparent. Additionally, a number of abilities are in there to be "cool" rather than "powerful" -- some players are treating it more like an RPG, and are willing to trade off power for flavor.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 July 2022, 23:45:29 »
I hear you.

I didn't try to break down the balance of every faction/special ability in terms of power.

I'm just noting the things that are jumping out at me as "one of these things is not like the others" cases.

The ones I noted above don't seem to be balanced at all.  I'm all for "cool" but I'd like balance & equality too.

The fact that I'm a FedSuns player & I see a few blatant imbalances in the 15 & 45 point abilities is also maybe a little annoying.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2022, 13:41:06 »
Found another one that needs clarity or else is broken/gimped compared to the others in terms of balance.

Light ‘mech master (30 XP): While running in a light ‘mech..........etc
Medium ‘mech master (30 XP): While piloting a medium ‘mech..........etc
Heavy Mech Master (30 XP): If you are piloting a heavy ‘mech .......etc
Assault Mech Master (30XP): While piloting an assault ‘mech.......etc

Is this just an example of bad wording/editing, or do they really mean to Gimp the Light Mech ability to only be the RUN action & not when Walking/Jumping compared to the other 3 sizes that use their abilities all the time?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 05 August 2022, 14:14:13 »
Is this just an example of bad wording/editing, or do they really mean to Gimp the Light Mech ability to only be the RUN action & not when Walking/Jumping compared to the other 3 sizes that use their abilities all the time?
The latter. I'm not the author, but IIRC correctly that ability was thought to be more powerful than the others. Adding it to jump, especially, would reproduce the issue with the original (massively OP) Jumping Jack.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 05 August 2022, 14:22:02 »
SEASON 2 BEGINS!

Important: The campaign rules have been updated! There has been a significant re-write of the skill system. If you're using a continuing pilot, "unspend" all your XP and spend it again according to the new rules. Leave your C-bills alone -- you keep all your earnings and mech(s).

New Missions Rules: https://app.box.com/s/sv4u402mw67y10hpqczo7zvu9ozcqj65

Mission 02-01: "Pull!"
Locations and Dates:
  • The Silver Key Lounge in Mesa - Sat, Aug 27 @ 2pm
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Sept 3 @ 2pm
  • Games U in Gilbert - Sunday, Sept 11 @ noon (scenario TBD - might not be Missions)

Mission 02-02: "Where da White Witches at?"
Locations and Dates:
  • Athoria Games Tempe (new store!) - Sat, Sept 17 @ 2pm

A note on venues: We have a Shadowrun demo agent adding Battletech to his portfolio, so the plan is for him to take over running demos at Silver Key while I switch to Athoria Tempe (which is in Game Depot's old location).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 05 August 2022, 21:05:50 »
Leave your C-bills alone -- you keep all your earnings and mech(s).

Ugh, seriously? 
They changed all the house/faction abilities but we are still stuck w/ them?
The build concept I was working on is not possible now.
I was planning on rebuilding from scratch using a new faction/mech.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 05 August 2022, 21:09:52 »
A note on venues: We have a Shadowrun demo agent adding Battletech to his portfolio, so the plan is for him to take over running demos at Silver Key while I switch to Athoria Tempe (which is in Game Depot's old location).

1.  I'm sure the answer is 6th but do you know for sure what Edition they demo?

2.  I had no idea someone was there, when I went by a couple months ago it was vacant.  Good to know.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2022, 11:15:38 »
I don't know, but I've asked; I'll let you know.

2.  I had no idea someone was there, when I went by a couple months ago it was vacant.  Good to know.
They had a soft opening recently and are open for business. They're still stocking up -- the official "grand opening" is in October.
https://www.athoriagamestempe.com/home

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 19 August 2022, 12:42:13 »

6E Shadowrun Missions, 2nd & 4th Sunday of every month. Next session is the 28th, and there will be pre-gens available.

Dustnite

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 19 August 2022, 19:50:28 »
Hi, I'm the Shadowrun Demo Agent running at Silver Key! Let me know if you have any questions.
Bryan G - CDT Agent #931

Play Shadowrun 6E - Silver Key Lounge 2nd and 4th Sundays at 12PM.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 05 September 2022, 02:21:39 »
Mission 02-01: "Pull!"
Locations and Dates:
  • Games U in Gilbert - Sunday, Sept 11 @ noon (scenario TBD - might not be Missions)

Hi, I'm the Shadowrun Demo Agent running at Silver Key! Let me know if you have any questions.

1.  Has there been any confirmation on what kind of game will be on the 11th?   Mission 2.1 or something else?

2.  Any idea on when & what types of BT Dustnite will be running for BT at Silverkey?     Missions Campaign?  Other?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 05 September 2022, 11:11:49 »
1.  Has there been any confirmation on what kind of game will be on the 11th?   Mission 2.1 or something else?
Ian is running an Alpha Strike demo that day. He's working on a clan invasion campaign, but it's been going a little slowly.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 08 September 2022, 15:42:48 »
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Oct 1 @ 2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 24 September 2022, 22:06:56 »
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Oct 1 @ 2pm

Anything on the books yet for any of the 4 locations after this coming Saturday?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 24 September 2022, 22:10:14 »
Not yet, but I'm hoping to get them scheduled next week.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 29 September 2022, 18:49:06 »
Mission 02-03: "Hold the Line!"
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Oct 15 @ 2pm
  • Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Oct 29 @ 2pm

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 31 October 2022, 18:59:11 »
Mission 02-04: "Stubensville Side Story"
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Nov 12 @ 2pm
  • Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Nov 19 @ 2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 05 November 2022, 11:05:46 »
Ooo, Back to back games.

I doubt I'll be up for next Saturday, as I came down w/ Covid this week.

Hopefully be good to go for the 19th.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 25 November 2022, 17:32:04 »
No Missions in December. However, I'll be running a few one-shot scenarios:

White Elephant Gift Exchange at  Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Dec 10 @ 2pm
The term "White Elephant" is derived from a past practice of the kings of what is now Thailand. When annoyed with someone, they would give them a white elephant. No one would give away a gift from the king, but its upkeep would ruin them. In modern English the term is used to mean an expensive, useless gift. In the world of Battletech, we're using this as a way to play any battlemech you want... but you have to give a more expensive mech to the enemy!
Scenario Link

King of the Hill at Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Dec 17 @ 2pm
On Solaris VII, Arms dealers compete to have their new 'mechs be the first to the top of a small mountain, holding it against all comers.
Scenario Link

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 09 December 2022, 18:36:43 »
Tomorrow's White Elephant game at Imperial Outpost is canceled; I'll try again in January.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 15 December 2022, 11:42:16 »
Saturday's King of the Hill game at Athoria is canceled; campaign games are planned to resume in January.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 15 December 2022, 15:24:59 »
Oh damn, this means you actually got sick then? :(

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 12 January 2023, 11:41:36 »
Mission 02-06: "GET TO THE CHOPPA!"
Locations and Dates:

Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Jan 21 @ 2pm
    Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Jan 28 @ 2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 21 January 2023, 12:23:09 »

Register