Author Topic: Side Effect of Elementals in the Boxset  (Read 8251 times)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
Side Effect of Elementals in the Boxset
« on: 22 November 2021, 08:25:19 »
I have used (and played against) more Elementals and Battle-armor in my games since the the CI:Boxset dropped than I have in all or the preceding games.   Something about them being included in an expansion box has really flipped a switch for me.    Now, I am hoping we will see a box set with tanks.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
Re: Side Effect of Elementals in the Boxset
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2021, 08:47:57 »
I have used (and played against) more Elementals and Battle-armor in my games since the the CI:Boxset dropped than I have in all or the preceding games.   Something about them being included in an expansion box has really flipped a switch for me.    Now, I am hoping we will see a box set with tanks.

Yeah, the only thing that got my playgroup from their usual mechs-only games is the fact that the Elementals look so cool and came with the set.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2021, 09:32:30 »
An IS Expansion box w/ some missing Intro minis from the KS along with some Tanks/IS BA/Infantry stands would be solid.

Of the top of my head a couple companies of missing mechs to choose from.

Goliath, Charger, Imp
Jagermech, Ostroc, Ostsol, Bombardier
Kintaro, Dervish, Scorpion, Vindicator, Wyvern, Vulcan, Assassin, Hermes-II, Clint, Whitworth, Cicada
Javelin, Firestarter, Ostscout, Falcon, Hussar, Hermes, Thorn
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2021, 14:01:51 »
For an expansion set, I'd go with 4 mechs Max, and then 8 tanks in 4 pairs.

Lance packs can cover more mechs and vehicles.. though with vee's I'd always go for pairs, and I'd probably include both mechs and vee's in each box, since vee's are generally smaller minis than mechs.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2021, 14:30:56 »
Might I propose a modern equivalent of CityTech that provides 2 Tracked, 2 Wheeled, 2 Hover, and 2 VTOL, and mayhaps some Infantry like Inner Sphere Standards?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

General308

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2021, 15:15:23 »

Or you could just go buy tanks and not have to wait for a box set.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2021, 15:26:41 »

I mean obviously  :drool:

But most places don’t carry IWM even if they have the new boxed sets. Plus people like the new sculpts and single piece plastics. A lot of the older IWM vees are fairly old.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2021, 15:31:19 »

I feel it's more having shiny new sculpts, and a nice rules primer.    We could have all easily done the battle armor before the kickstarter, but did so rarely.    Putting it in a box did something to that mental barrier to entry.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2021, 15:45:56 »
I feel it's more having shiny new sculpts, and a nice rules primer.    We could have all easily done the battle armor before the kickstarter, but did so rarely.    Putting it in a box did something to that mental barrier to entry.

You are free to of course do what you want. But you kind of have to options if you want to use tanks.  Buy what exist now and enjoy now.  Or wait for another kickstarter that may or may not happen with vechicals and wait years.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2021, 16:00:24 »
Might I propose a modern equivalent of CityTech that provides 2 Tracked, 2 Wheeled, 2 Hover, and 2 VTOL, and mayhaps some Infantry like Inner Sphere Standards?
not sure about the viability of VTOL as plastic minis but would could see it. i was thinking more like one pair of designs from each weight class, with a focus on ones that are harder to proxy with existing non-BT lines. that would kill two birds with one stone (introducing Vee's, as well as getting some minis available for the less conventional vees.)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2021, 16:02:42 by glitterboy2098 »

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2021, 16:07:32 »
You are free to of course do what you want. But you kind of have to options if you want to use tanks.  Buy what exist now and enjoy now.  Or wait for another kickstarter that may or may not happen with vechicals and wait years.

I already have many minis of tanks.   I feel like you have missed my point.  Having everyone have purchased a thing and read the rules, got them all to roughly the same place.   It was as a nice way to level set with a base line of game play knowledge.   
« Last Edit: 22 November 2021, 16:16:14 by Geg »

General308

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2021, 16:18:06 »
I already have many minis of tanks.   I feel like you have missed my point.  Having everyone have purchased a thing and read the rules, got them all to roughly the same place.   It was as a nice way to level set with a base line of game play knowledge.

I guess I do miss the point.  Doesn't having everyone just get Total Warfare accomplish the same goal?

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2021, 16:23:24 »
I guess I do miss the point.  Doesn't having everyone just get Total Warfare accomplish the same goal?

Having the minis easily packaged lowers barriers of entry and shows people there is an easy way to get into that style of play.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2021, 16:58:07 »
Keeping an Expansion box at the same size as AGoAC might be something like 4 mechs + 4 tanks + 2 BA & +2 Infantry might work.

Then for the same price/size box as the C* 6-packs they could release a Lance of 4 mechs w/ 2 Tanks, 1 BA Stand, 1 Infantry Stand

Given the list of mechs above & a few others from 3050's era TROs, you could get an Expansion box & 1/2 dozen of the "Reinforced Lance" boxes to cover the missing mech minis & add in some basic access to Conventional Tanks, BA, & Infantry.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2021, 18:06:04 »

Availibility is one question, but from what I've seen, the IWM Vehicles aren't quite as... wonky in builds as the Mechs are, so needing them in plastic isn't as powerful as all the new Mech designs have been.

Any 3025/3039/SW CVs that anyone thinks would be really needing a plastic update?

not sure about the viability of VTOL as plastic minis but would could see it. i was thinking more like one pair of designs from each weight class, with a focus on ones that are harder to proxy with existing non-BT lines. that would kill two birds with one stone (introducing Vee's, as well as getting some minis available for the less conventional vees.)

Yeah, no matter how you look at it, VTOLs will be a pain.  Either they have a clear stand to tape before painting or a metal pole to somehow cover up.

Still, it is quite possible to have the 4 weight classes as well as the 4 classic platforms.  VTOLs will never be Medium-weight, Hovers will never be Heavy, and only the Tracked can reach the full range of Assault Mechs (without going Super, at any rate).

Keeping an Expansion box at the same size as AGoAC might be something like 4 mechs + 4 tanks + 2 BA & +2 Infantry might work.

Then for the same price/size box as the C* 6-packs they could release a Lance of 4 mechs w/ 2 Tanks, 1 BA Stand, 1 Infantry Stand

Given the list of mechs above & a few others from 3050's era TROs, you could get an Expansion box & 1/2 dozen of the "Reinforced Lance" boxes to cover the missing mech minis & add in some basic access to Conventional Tanks, BA, & Infantry.

If you want to do a proper Level II as well as an Vehicle and Infantry Expansion, it would be 2 Mechs, 2 Tanks, and 2 Infantry (any mix of BA or Conventional).  Remember that a Level I is a single Mech, Combat Vehicle, ASF, ConvInf Platoon, or BA Squad.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2021, 20:42:10 »
I have used (and played against) more Elementals and Battle-armor in my games since the the CI:Boxset dropped than I have in all or the preceding games.   Something about them being included in an expansion box has really flipped a switch for me. 

This makes me extremely happy. I know mechs are the stars of the show, but I would really love to see infantry become more popular on the tabletop.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 23 November 2021, 00:48:58 »
If you want to do a proper Level II as well as an Vehicle and Infantry Expansion, it would be 2 Mechs, 2 Tanks, and 2 Infantry (any mix of BA or Conventional).  Remember that a Level I is a single Mech, Combat Vehicle, ASF, ConvInf Platoon, or BA Squad.
I don't want that.  And I'm aware of what a L1 is, this isn't for a L2 Box.

I said same "Price" as 6 mechs.  I expect a smaller vehicle + infantry to be = to 1 mech.
So same price tag as 6 mechs but you get 4 Mechs & 4 Smaller things.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 23 November 2021, 01:29:57 »
I don't want that.  And I'm aware of what a L1 is, this isn't for a L2 Box.

I said same "Price" as 6 mechs.  I expect a smaller vehicle + infantry to be = to 1 mech.
So same price tag as 6 mechs but you get 4 Mechs & 4 Smaller things.

Just because they are a little smaller is no guarantee that they would cost less.  In fact, depending on the QA one needs to keep, it may actually be more expensive to manage.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 23 November 2021, 01:45:36 »
Just because they are a little smaller is no guarantee that they would cost less.  In fact, depending on the QA one needs to keep, it may actually be more expensive to manage.

What I'd like is omnivees with friction-fit replacable turrets, and multiple turrets included. But I know I won't see it, because that goes against the prebuilt thing CGL has going with the new boxed sets.

sorta like this, but 4 bodies, 9 turrets

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 23 November 2021, 02:48:00 »
For my money, I want the next 'box set' to include aerospace.  We have the Shilone, so not that, but 2 IS aerospace fighters, like a Stingray and Sparrowhawk, versus 2 clan fighters such as a Sulla and Bashkir, as those are mostly balanced.  If the box set has 7-8 units, that leaves room for 2 more mechs for each side.  As a post clan invasion set, 2 inner sphere omnimechs would be good to show them coming out (Avatar is solid, as is the Raptor, aesthetic wise) versus some clan Non-Omnis (Peregrine is solid, and the Galahad fits with the air force theme).
This would be good for a pre-bulldog 3057ish buildup box set, and the aerospace fighters would serve well in otherwise mostly mech based forces, and as a great counter to elementals.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 23 November 2021, 03:14:55 »
Wasn't it said that their focus was going to be "mechs, mechs and more mechs"?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #21 on: 23 November 2021, 03:35:49 »
Yeah, no matter how you look at it, VTOLs will be a pain.  Either they have a clear stand to tape before painting or a metal pole to somehow cover up.

The stand that came with the Shilone would work fine and is removable from both the mini and the base
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 23 November 2021, 12:32:38 »

They did indeed say that..

But the description of the Shilone ASF Salvage Box on the CGL store also mentions :

and a beautiful first entry for our potential aerospace line of miniatures.

The future will tell, I guess..

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 23 November 2021, 14:02:57 »
Aerospace would be an interesting consideration...

I wonder how well an X-Wing-style Aerospace Fighter game would be received (though probably shorter-ranged).  Of course, any Dropship would have to be small like a Leopard, and would be roughly the size of the Tantive IV, unless it became more... representational much like the old Star Wars Miniatures game where an X-Wing was only a little bit shorter than an MC-80.  This would allow for more detail on ASF, but also allow Dropships, and maybe Warships to be on the table.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 23 November 2021, 14:16:27 »

Ray did say that. In the same post he also said that mono focus would end once they determined a sufficient base had been established.

that was also pre-kickstarter so I imagine the literal millions of dollars injected into the line sped up that timetable to a degree
« Last Edit: 23 November 2021, 14:18:23 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 23 November 2021, 14:35:53 »
Having the minis easily packaged lowers barriers of entry and shows people there is an easy way to get into that style of play.
For some, having the BA included in the box. It's a mindset of "Well if I they came in the box, I might as well give it a shot"
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 23 November 2021, 17:48:59 »
Of course, any Dropship would have to be small like a Leopard, and would be roughly the size of the Tantive IV, unless it became more... representational much like the old Star Wars Miniatures game where an X-Wing was only a little bit shorter than an MC-80.  This would allow for more detail on ASF, but also allow Dropships, and maybe Warships to be on the table.

IMHO, the full size ASF were always for ground support or all fighter dogfights.

If you want to bring in SC/DS/JS/WS for a more diverse space battle then you switch over to the Micro line of Fighters & DS for use with the JS/WS minis.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 24 November 2021, 13:10:32 »
Weird follow-on question.

Since there are only two bases of Elementals per Clan Invasion box, has anyone popped each of the individual minis off of the hex base and remounted them to pennies (or something) to make an insta-binary?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 24 November 2021, 14:47:43 »
Weird follow-on question.

Since there are only two bases of Elementals per Clan Invasion box, has anyone popped each of the individual minis off of the hex base and remounted them to pennies (or something) to make an insta-binary?

I was debating doing this to give my CJF and Wolf forces their own binaries instead of a point each. And if it looked good I’d have 5 stars instead of 5 points for my ghost bears.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 24 November 2021, 15:38:28 »
Awesome. As long as it doesn’t sound like a completely nonsensical idea, I think I’ll give it a whirl. Having an off number of Elemental points just bugs the hell out of me.