Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 99895 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #660 on: 25 June 2022, 00:52:51 »
Hm. So, problem... As a TRO, it needs art, and a lot of it. Since I picked proxy units, my plan was to basically use the images found on Sarna, most of which would go unmodified, but some of which just kind of have to be... I am, of course, conflicted here: this is proprietary material from very respective artists. There will, of course, be the common disclaimer that all of this is unofficial, not for profit, and used without permission, but, um.... I dunno what else to do here, folks!

Thoughts?

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #661 on: 25 June 2022, 02:02:48 »
Plog has very reasonable commission rates...  8)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #662 on: 25 June 2022, 02:28:54 »
Plog has very reasonable commission rates...  8)

80 designs, each based on an IS model morphed into a Transformers-esque clone, plus their alternate modes? I don't care how reasonable his rates are, that's asking a lot of him, and I doubt my remaining savings will cover it and keeping my lights on for another month.

Hmmm. I could just do without, I suppose... It WOULD be shorter and less memory intensive.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #663 on: 25 June 2022, 02:39:02 »
Maybe just spring for cover art?  ::)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #664 on: 25 June 2022, 03:24:57 »
I could run pictures I take of the minis through a line art or cartoon filter?  😅

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #665 on: 25 June 2022, 05:03:02 »
That's a good idea!  :thumbsup:

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #666 on: 25 June 2022, 05:15:03 »
Might need to commission somebody for the Aximal and Presidom stuff, given their less mechanical looks.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #667 on: 25 June 2022, 05:23:08 »
I say Luciora's miniatures works are the best solution.  Another solution is making/drawing the art by making composite images from existing ones. They used to do that when players back in the day their own version of OmniMechs. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #668 on: 25 June 2022, 09:39:46 »
I could run pictures I take of the minis through a line art or cartoon filter?  😅
That's a good idea!  :thumbsup:
I say Luciora's miniatures works are the best solution.  Another solution is making/drawing the art by making composite images from existing ones. They used to do that when players back in the day their own version of OmniMechs.

I would LOVE that, but Luciora: Again, we're talking about 80 units, most with one or more alt modes. You've been doing that all for fun so far, at your own expense. Would you really want to do a whole TRO's worth?

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #669 on: 25 June 2022, 10:12:27 »
Just to show what happens when I make alterations, here are the two I worked up when I started questioning whether I really wanted to do this...

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #670 on: 25 June 2022, 11:44:06 »
Well, not all 80, maybe a select few.  I have other aspects of Battletech I want to expand on as well.   ;) 

I should revist Megs and Optimus as well, make a set more  line with the stats.  My current Optimus actually represents the T-IT-N11M version and not Optimus specifically.

And running the pictures through a filter means it hides the painting flaws easier.  😅
« Last Edit: 25 June 2022, 12:07:54 by Luciora »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #671 on: 25 June 2022, 11:50:49 »
Well, Luciora is at least offering to cut the number down from 80...  ^-^

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #672 on: 25 June 2022, 11:56:47 »
Well, Luciora, if you're game for it despite a lack of compensation, then so am I. But I want this to remain purely a labor of love, here.

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #673 on: 25 June 2022, 12:26:03 »
I wouldn't be able to do all 80, plus I'd end up deviating alot. 

As it is, I have Blackout, and Beachcomber on the workbench in painting stages, have to source or find the lost Sholagar for Cosmos, as the mech form is finished.  Looking at maybe ordering the minis for Waspinator, will probably have to aquire another Grand Titan to do a more proper Prime. Kup is on my possible to-do list also. 

I know the list specified Beachcomber as a Swift Wind, but how would you feel as a Ibex like Hound? 

As it is, I need to balance it with more DemoCons, so will have to go over the list and see what looks possible for me to mod. 

Now is a good time for requests, within reason.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #674 on: 25 June 2022, 13:44:05 »
I wouldn't be able to do all 80, plus I'd end up deviating alot. 

As it is, I have Blackout, and Beachcomber on the workbench in painting stages, have to source or find the lost Sholagar for Cosmos, as the mech form is finished.  Looking at maybe ordering the minis for Waspinator, will probably have to aquire another Grand Titan to do a more proper Prime. Kup is on my possible to-do list also. 

I know the list specified Beachcomber as a Swift Wind, but how would you feel as a Ibex like Hound? 

As it is, I need to balance it with more DemoCons, so will have to go over the list and see what looks possible for me to mod. 

Hmmm. Okay. Change made in my spreadsheet. New version attached here to make sure we're on the same page. Yellow cells indicate entries I have yet to make/introduce to the TRO itself. (Everything on the list with a green- or yellow-shaded cell in the C column has been designed and statted. As you'll see, that now leaves only a Luftenburg carrier, a couple city-sized mobile structures, and a few DropShips unspecified.) Anyone interested in seeing specs, feel free to ask.

Now is a good time for requests, within reason.

I have nothing at the moment, if only because I am overloaded with options as it is, and you've already done most of my favorites.

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #675 on: 25 June 2022, 15:27:41 »
I keep thinking MegaTankus should be a Banshee, it has face, the gun barrels.  Angry look on it's mug.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #676 on: 25 June 2022, 15:44:05 »
Wouldn't a stock Banshee be closer? ???

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #677 on: 25 June 2022, 16:51:42 »
the PDF uses a mirrored shootist silhouette for the Tankus class.

(attached: a trimmed down snapshot from the record sheet)
« Last Edit: 25 June 2022, 16:55:05 by glitterboy2098 »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #678 on: 25 June 2022, 17:05:09 »
The Tankus class has possibly the broadest range of looks, given that there are 3 Mech modes (Shootist, Highlander, and Cyclops) and four tank modes (Ajax, Morrigu, Marksman M1, and Demolisher). I have the Banshee as an alternate Mech form for the Leader class, specifically used for the Primus Thermal (Rodimus Prime) and Star Train Alpha (Astrotrain's Mech/"Train" mode).

And since I already "canonized" MechaTankus as a Shootist in the original WttNC, I'm sticking with that. ;)

Also, I kind of already drew MechaT here...

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #679 on: 25 June 2022, 17:12:31 »
Well, that settles that then!  8)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #680 on: 25 June 2022, 17:48:09 »
As the Aerosmith song said, and i don't have to change a thing!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #681 on: 25 June 2022, 17:50:18 »
Yep!  Filter that one and call it good!  :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #682 on: 25 June 2022, 18:43:47 »
Herb, what do you think of the Czin? I think it looks appropriate to Blur and maybe Wheelie.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #683 on: 25 June 2022, 19:21:44 »
As the Aerosmith song said, and i don't have to change a thing!

Of course! I based the drawing mostly on your mini.

Herb, what do you think of the Czin? I think it looks appropriate to Blur and maybe Wheelie.

Hmmm. Seeing as how I used the Cizin as Nautica's submarine mode and Blurr has a similar body type, even though he's a hovercar, I'll go with that. In the case of Wheelie, though, you'd be looking at needing to add wheels to him, but that should be no problem for you.

Okay, then. I'll make those changes to the list.

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #684 on: 25 June 2022, 19:25:28 »
There's alot of minis, it is hard to remember them all, having a few of the more obscure ones helps

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #685 on: 25 June 2022, 20:02:13 »
Cool art and minis.  :thumbsup: I wish I could help but my art is less than good.  :(

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #686 on: 25 June 2022, 21:20:53 »
I have to say, just opened up the Cyrano I ordered, and...that is Springer.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #687 on: 25 June 2022, 21:29:44 »
I have to say, just opened up the Cyrano I ordered, and...that is Springer.

Interesting. We had a Balac for that class, but I can give Trapspringer-Two the Cyrano.

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #688 on: 26 June 2022, 20:17:46 »
Been either sleeping or working on ham radio stuff all weekend, so I've not finished going through the working doc, but I'm really liking what I've seen so far, @HABeas2.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #689 on: 27 June 2022, 00:21:19 »
Luciora and everyone else interested:

Attached is the latest spreadsheet data. Note that now all the AutoDropShips are highlit as being statted. Also, Big Lug (Lugnut) is now properly sorted into the models list. If I stat any of the leftover units from this list, it'll only be that Luftenburg representing Broadside's carrier mode. I REFUSE to stat the mobile cities at this point.

- Herb