Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 99899 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #1080 on: 14 October 2022, 13:26:31 »
I swear, the resemblance was unintentional.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1081 on: 14 October 2022, 13:57:22 »
Out of curiosity.. could the tracked and hover Veemech transformation systems be combined with torso cockpit placement?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1082 on: 14 October 2022, 14:18:22 »
Out of curiosity.. could the tracked and hover Veemech transformation systems be combined with torso cockpit placement?

Only if it's a human-piloted unit. AutoMechs use the robotic cockpit otherwise, which is head-mounted only.

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1083 on: 14 October 2022, 14:22:13 »
Remind me what was Skyfire's mech base again?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1084 on: 14 October 2022, 14:26:04 »
Only if it's a human-piloted unit. AutoMechs use the robotic cockpit otherwise, which is head-mounted only.

- Herb
That was the idea, mostly just wondering if things like crit layouts allow it. The LAM/flying veemech systems aren't compatible with torso cockpits for example, because there are fighter mode systems filling the torso crits

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1085 on: 15 October 2022, 00:57:10 »
That was the idea, mostly just wondering if things like crit layouts allow it. The LAM/flying veemech systems aren't compatible with torso cockpits for example, because there are fighter mode systems filling the torso crits

It would work if the LAM/flying veemech used a compact gyro. I'd say a compact engine too but they're not on the list.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1086 on: 17 October 2022, 11:36:40 »
Remind me what was Skyfire's mech base again?

The Syberian incarnation of Skyfire/Jetfire is a Seeker II, so it uses a Crusader BattleMech form. I gave it a Rusalka fighter mode, but let's see how you pull it off. (Kind of funny, of course; of all units, Skyfire/Jetfire could really use a classic P. Hawk LAM's fighter mode, but as far as I know, one was never made for BT.)

That would be the main issue in a fighter-converting 'Mech, of course, yes. The funny part is, due to technicalities of how I wrote these rules, we only know that the fully robotic AutoMechs had the robotic (AutoMech) cockpit restrictions. How creative the Syberians got when it came to human-piloted convertibles could have been interesting...

...though, now that you mention it, there may be an error in that list regardless. I didn't include Superheavy options, did I?

It would work if the LAM/flying veemech used a compact gyro. I'd say a compact engine too but they're not on the list.

I wonder why I put compact gyros on the list, now that you've called attention to it? Amazing how quickly I can confuse myself!

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1087 on: 17 October 2022, 12:22:47 »
Rusalka and Crusader.  Got it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1088 on: 17 October 2022, 15:27:28 »
I think the compact Gyro should exist, just sake of fuctionality.  Its not like its going cross-pollinate into canon.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1089 on: 18 October 2022, 02:47:37 »
The Syberian incarnation of Skyfire/Jetfire is a Seeker II, so it uses a Crusader BattleMech form. I gave it a Rusalka fighter mode, but let's see how you pull it off. (Kind of funny, of course; of all units, Skyfire/Jetfire could really use a classic P. Hawk LAM's fighter mode, but as far as I know, one was never made for BT.)

If basing Skyfire/Jetfire on the toy, a Pixie LAM Fighter Mode mini would be ideal. I don't think any classic LAMs had a Fighter Mini though. I've never seen one. Not from RP or IWMs anyway. PB did have some for a while but I don't think they'd be easy to get now.

That would be the main issue in a fighter-converting 'Mech, of course, yes. The funny part is, due to technicalities of how I wrote these rules, we only know that the fully robotic AutoMechs had the robotic (AutoMech) cockpit restrictions. How creative the Syberians got when it came to human-piloted convertibles could have been interesting...

...though, now that you mention it, there may be an error in that list regardless. I didn't include Superheavy options, did I?

I'd love to know how creative the Syberians got with human-piloted convertibles.  >:D

Don't Superheavy AutoMechs use the same 3 ton drone cockpit?

I wonder why I put compact gyros on the list, now that you've called attention to it? Amazing how quickly I can confuse myself!

- Herb

I don't know why but I'd keep it, I'd even include the Compact Engine as they do open up some options even at the expense of added weight. They also don't add crits so wouldn't effect the conversion process any. Plus I like that they make the Center Torso more usable. And I think it helps with the visual aesthetics too. I know things don't have to be located in the CT to look like they're in the CT but if the CT is available, why not put them in the CT?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1090 on: 18 October 2022, 09:48:03 »
If basing Skyfire/Jetfire on the toy, a Pixie LAM Fighter Mode mini would be ideal. I don't think any classic LAMs had a Fighter Mini though. I've never seen one. Not from RP or IWMs anyway. PB did have some for a while but I don't think they'd be easy to get now.

That's what I was saying. The P.Hawk LAM in fighter mode would work best for our Syberian-made Jetfire/Skyfire expy, but I don't know where one would find one. Who's "PB"?

I'd love to know how creative the Syberians got with human-piloted convertibles.  >:D

Have fun with that. By the time IE came by, they were as extinct as the system's human populace.

Don't Superheavy AutoMechs use the same 3 ton drone cockpit?

If built as an AutoMech, yes. But if the Standard and Torso-mounted cockpits are on the list for human-piloted units, and the Syberians also made superheavies, then a human-piloted superheavy would need a superheavy cockpit.

I don't know why but I'd keep it, I'd even include the Compact Engine as they do open up some options even at the expense of added weight. They also don't add crits so wouldn't effect the conversion process any. Plus I like that they make the Center Torso more usable. And I think it helps with the visual aesthetics too. I know things don't have to be located in the CT to look like they're in the CT but if the CT is available, why not put them in the CT?

Sure, but the issue is whether or not the Syberians reached that level of tech development. They got to something approaching the Inner Sphere in the late Clan Invasion era after extrapolating on the first Star League tech they had, but they didn't necessarily get EVERYTHING the IS had by that point, as our now-specific list of gear shows.

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1091 on: 18 October 2022, 09:55:37 »
In my case, I'm treating Skyfire and Jetfire as 2 separate bots, using Skyfire's bigger boxier form from the cartoon as the starting point.   Jetfire will always be a Strike Valkerie to me, since that's what his toy was.

And I always wondered aa a kid why there wasn't a proper Skyfire toy back then.  I knew who it was supposed to be, but I had no problem accepting Skyfire as a separate bot.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1092 on: 18 October 2022, 10:04:59 »
Well i asked about the cockpit stuff mainly because a project I'm working on involves piloted multimode mechs in a few places, and I'm weighing options as to whether i want to tackle them and if so how to go about it. Though to be honest, they're rare enough in the inspirational material i could probably just drop the transforming aspect and they'd still work fine.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1093 on: 18 October 2022, 11:31:21 »
In my case, I'm treating Skyfire and Jetfire as 2 separate bots, using Skyfire's bigger boxier form from the cartoon as the starting point.   Jetfire will always be a Strike Valkerie to me, since that's what his toy was.

And I always wondered aa a kid why there wasn't a proper Skyfire toy back then.  I knew who it was supposed to be, but I had no problem accepting Skyfire as a separate bot.

Yeah, that tended to puzzle me too.

Well i asked about the cockpit stuff mainly because a project I'm working on involves piloted multimode mechs in a few places, and I'm weighing options as to whether i want to tackle them and if so how to go about it. Though to be honest, they're rare enough in the inspirational material i could probably just drop the transforming aspect and they'd still work fine.

Yeah, sometimes that's how it works for me as well. As cool as transforming robots and walking tanks can be, sometimes they just add nothing at all to the story or setting.

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1094 on: 18 October 2022, 22:15:03 »
Super late though about the autosuits/MiniMechs, wouldn't they be able to have been fitted withe basic Camo? Its old but good stealth. The Spybirds can't u see them but minibots could I would think.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1095 on: 19 October 2022, 00:57:54 »
That's what I was saying. The P.Hawk LAM in fighter mode would work best for our Syberian-made Jetfire/Skyfire expy, but I don't know where one would find one. Who's "PB"?

Just checking because the toy is very different from the animation. PB=Palladium Books. They had a Robotech Miniatures Game a few years ago. The Valkyrie and Destroid minis are about BT size. They had minis for each mode too. I'm not going to guess on the price though. 

Have fun with that. By the time IE came by, they were as extinct as the system's human populace.

I know but it's a fun area to explore.

If built as an AutoMech, yes. But if the Standard and Torso-mounted cockpits are on the list for human-piloted units, and the Syberians also made superheavies, then a human-piloted superheavy would need a superheavy cockpit.

So drone cockpits, of all kinds, are 3 tons. Human Piloted cockpits we as normal for their type. Cool!  :thumbsup:

Sure, but the issue is whether or not the Syberians reached that level of tech development. They got to something approaching the Inner Sphere in the late Clan Invasion era after extrapolating on the first Star League tech they had, but they didn't necessarily get EVERYTHING the IS had by that point, as our now-specific list of gear shows.

- Herb

I think if it would aid on construction of Convertible Mechs, they would have. They don't seem to mind heavier systems if it'd get them the Converting Mech they'd want. Developing smaller heavier engines and gyros to help them get the look of the mech/vehicle they're wanting doesn't seem out of line. But that's just me.

And maybe the Drones could have started off as a real sophisticated autopilots, or maybe a human pilot was included just incase there was a problem with the Drone's AI. Then the human could take over. Then when the AIs became more reliable regular cockpits stopped being included? If you told me that "back-up" human cockpits could be placed anywhere, and then made stats for an AutoMech with a cockpit in the legs or arm, I wouldn't be surprised that they exist. Surprised you made one but not that they exist.  ;D

Since there's two different names, and two different designs, there being two different mechs works.  :thumbsup:

Super late though about the autosuits/MiniMechs, wouldn't they be able to have been fitted withe basic Camo? Its old but good stealth. The Spybirds can't u see them but minibots could I would think.

Wouldn't they have access to all BA systems including Camo?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1096 on: 19 October 2022, 06:20:53 »
Wouldn't they have access to all BA systems including Camo?
I would agree, but Herb the one writing this baby.  At the time they established the colony with the Star League era colonlists, they at minium had some kind access to technology that lead to the Nighthawk.

Quote from: Sarna.net / Nighthawk Power Armor Article
The Nighthawk itself is little more than a heavily-armored Sneak Suit with an integral ECM suite. While it only has 120kg of armor, enough to stop a couple bursts from a Support Machine Gun, its protection against small arms was considered excellent. The armor plating has stealth capabilities similar to an IR/ECM sneak suit,

It depends if the sneak suit tech is older. Remember Nighthawk was the most secret of SLDF's techs. However, the Star League Era Sneak Suit tech maybe available.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1097 on: 19 October 2022, 09:24:09 »

MiniMech gear is still limited by date of introduction, so the Camo System, introduced in 2800, is available to them.
All grades of stealth battle armor (excluding Mimetic) are also available to MiniMechs.

...PB=Palladium Books... 

Ah. Thought the P might have meant Paladium, but wasn't sure what the B was about.

I know but it's a fun area to explore.

Have at it.

So drone cockpits, of all kinds, are 3 tons. Human Piloted cockpits we as normal for their type. Cool!  :thumbsup:

For 'Mechs and Fighters, yup. Other units which use different control systems, follow the rules for their type when calculating weights (so, no 3-ton DropShip cockpits).

I think if it would aid on construction of Convertible Mechs, they would have. They don't seem to mind heavier systems if it'd get them the Converting Mech they'd want. Developing smaller heavier engines and gyros to help them get the look of the mech/vehicle they're wanting doesn't seem out of line. But that's just me.

After a while, there is a serious issue of diminishing returns, especially on units that already sacrifice 15 percent of their mass to transform. Either way, the Syberians just never made it that far, apparently. 

And maybe the Drones could have started off as a real sophisticated autopilots, or maybe a human pilot was included just incase there was a problem with the Drone's AI. Then the human could take over. Then when the AIs became more reliable regular cockpits stopped being included? If you told me that "back-up" human cockpits could be placed anywhere, and then made stats for an AutoMech with a cockpit in the legs or arm, I wouldn't be surprised that they exist. Surprised you made one but not that they exist.  ;D

No need to be surprised, then, as I never made one.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1098 on: 19 October 2022, 12:29:21 »
I would agree, but Herb the one writing this baby.  At the time they established the colony with the Star League era colonlists, they at minium had some kind access to technology that lead to the Nighthawk.

It depends if the sneak suit tech is older. Remember Nighthawk was the most secret of SLDF's techs. However, the Star League Era Sneak Suit tech maybe available.

Yep. I thought all BA items are available but that could change. :)

MiniMech gear is still limited by date of introduction, so the Camo System, introduced in 2800, is available to them.
All grades of stealth battle armor (excluding Mimetic) are also available to MiniMechs.

Cool  :thumbsup:

Ah. Thought the P might have meant Paladium, but wasn't sure what the B was about.

Have at it.

It was books. :)

Cool  :)

For 'Mechs and Fighters, yup. Other units which use different control systems, follow the rules for their type when calculating weights (so, no 3-ton DropShip cockpits).

Aw.  ;D   

After a while, there is a serious issue of diminishing returns, especially on units that already sacrifice 15 percent of their mass to transform. Either way, the Syberians just never made it that far, apparently. 

No need to be surprised, then, as I never made one.

- Herb

True. There is that but sometimes I think it's worth it. Sometimes space is more important than weight.

So the list is changing again?  ???

That doesn't surprise me.  ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1099 on: 19 October 2022, 21:31:21 »
So how would I get my Syberian DemoCon / AutoMech into Beastial mode?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1100 on: 19 October 2022, 22:10:05 »
Yep. I thought all BA items are available but that could change. :)

We've pretty much reached the end of my work on this particular fan project, so any changes would have to come from someone else. About the only tweaks I see myself doing from here on out are likely to be art (such as the fact that I spent today revising several pieces due to changes in the DemoCon and InterSectCon faction logos).

True. There is that but sometimes I think it's worth it. Sometimes space is more important than weight.

So the list is changing again?  ???

Nope.

So how would I get my Syberian DemoCon / AutoMech into Beastial mode?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, TT...

- Herb

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1101 on: 19 October 2022, 23:43:49 »
Beast Wars...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1102 on: 20 October 2022, 00:03:46 »
Beast Wars...

We have them in this TRO. Look for examples like the Silverback (Optimus Primal), Saurus (BW Megatron), Scorpios (BW Skorponok), Cynofelis (Cheetor), and the like... The factions translated into the PresiDom (Predacons) and AxiMaL (Maximal) factions on Syberia.

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1103 on: 20 October 2022, 00:07:53 »
Beast Wars...

TT
We have them in this TRO. Look for examples like the Silverback (Optimus Primal), Saurus (BW Megatron), Scorpios (BW Skorponok), Cynofelis (Cheetor), and the like... The factions translated into the PresiDom (Predacons) and AxiMaL (Maximal) factions on Syberia.

- Herb

yep, i got you covered. :)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1104 on: 20 October 2022, 01:11:09 »
We've pretty much reached the end of my work on this particular fan project, so any changes would have to come from someone else. About the only tweaks I see myself doing from here on out are likely to be art (such as the fact that I spent today revising several pieces due to changes in the DemoCon and InterSectCon faction logos).

Nope.

- Herb

And it's very good work.  :thumbsup:   Sounds cool.  :)

That's good.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1105 on: 27 October 2022, 15:05:52 »
Walmart released a Wave 2 of the Transformers 18 pack. Some new stuff in that. Got to check that out and get that.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1106 on: 11 November 2022, 23:55:16 »
Any chance to get a thread for all the downloads too be able to find them all in one place.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1107 on: 12 November 2022, 07:38:30 »
Erm, technically speaking, would that not be...this thread?

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1108 on: 12 November 2022, 08:12:26 »
Erm, technically speaking, would that not be...this thread?

- Herb
Have you had time to finsh it? There hasn't been much said. Once done it could have a listing on Fanon wiki for Battletech help people find it.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1109 on: 12 November 2022, 10:00:40 »
Have you had time to finsh it? There hasn't been much said. Once done it could have a listing on Fanon wiki for Battletech help people find it.

I mean, it can only get SO finished. I don't really have a cover for it, and most of the images are placeholders (Hmmm; I think Luc gave me two more minis to add, now that you mention it), but the writing's pretty done. File size limits here force me to keep the thing broken to <900KB segments...

A Fanon wiki link would be neat. One for the Reign of the Tetakuni adventure would be nice, too! But what happens the next time the forum resets?

- Herb