Author Topic: Spare Parts? For Unseens?  (Read 4586 times)

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
Spare Parts? For Unseens?
« on: 12 July 2011, 09:40:03 »
I know, I know...  I'm tip toeing a fine line here.

I'm looking for spare small bits.

NOT main torsos, legs or arms.

small Parts that almost every collector finds themselves needing...

SRM packs and spotlights for Warhammers.
JJs for Phoenix Hawks
ALL the extra bits for Shadow Hawks.
etc, etc...

I know that spare parts packs were made back in the day...
Any chance that y'all could produce them again?

[notworthy]PLEASE??? [notworthy]

my bleeding fingers with their fresh cuts from trying to handmake said parts would thank you greatly.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
Re: Spare Parts? For Unseens?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2011, 09:43:49 »
The only spare part I am aware of, that is currently made by Iron Wind Metals, is the left arm for Banshee-S miniatures, which happens to be a Warhammer PPC.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2011, 09:58:01 »
I know, I know...  I'm tip toeing a fine line here.

I'm looking for spare small bits.

NOT main torsos, legs or arms.

small Parts that almost every collector finds themselves needing...

SRM packs and spotlights for Warhammers.
JJs for Phoenix Hawks
ALL the extra bits for Shadow Hawks.
etc, etc...

I know that spare parts packs were made back in the day...
Any chance that y'all could produce them again?

[notworthy]PLEASE??? [notworthy]

my bleeding fingers with their fresh cuts from trying to handmake said parts would thank you greatly.

I can answer this with about as much confidence as anything else:  Not a chance.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2011, 13:08:00 »
The pope is correct not a chance

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2011, 15:06:52 »
 :'( see, that I don't get.  :'(

y'all KNOW that if you made ACCESSORIES for unseens, that they'd sell like Aquafina in hell.

And I believe you understand the limitations I'm placing on this request.

IWM could make some serious money without broaching the "Don't make/sell Unseens" rule.

ACCESSORIES are not Unseens.

:( I just don't understand how IWM can turn down a serious money maker like an ACCESSORIES pack, esp. in these economic times.  :(

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2011, 15:16:26 »
IWM could make some serious money without broaching the "Don't make/sell Unseens" rule.

Because you're wrong on this part. I get that you have a different opinion, but neither lawyers nor courts are going to go based on your opinion.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2011, 15:16:55 »
They're PARTS of Unseens. Recognizable parts, like Marauder arms or Phoenix Hawk jets. Is it legal? Shady area- and we know where that got us once before.

IWM is likely covering their butts and making sure there's no reason for anyone to send legal ninjas after them, and I for one have a lot of trouble faulting them on that. Never mind that it would be creating individual parts (which sell for, what, two bucks each at the absolute most?) for miniatures they don't even make- which means that's all they're making, a scant few dollars from each molding. How many people have unseens that need new parts? Several, no doubt, but the vast majority of fans- myself included- sure don't.

So, very little money to be made, sculptor has to get paid anyway, potential legal nightmare... yeah, not happening.

*DISCLAIMER: I have no standing with IWM other than frequent customer, and do not know their train of thought- the above is merely my guess on the situation, one that I have high confidence in.*
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2011, 15:52:37 »
:'( see, that I don't get.  :'(

y'all KNOW that if you made ACCESSORIES for unseens, that they'd sell like Aquafina in hell.

And I believe you understand the limitations I'm placing on this request.

:( I just don't understand how IWM can turn down a serious money maker like an ACCESSORIES pack, esp. in these economic times.  :(
sadly you show a complete lack of understanding of IP law.   the parts you cite would have to be sculpted first, and then produced, from artwork Ironwind and its liscencee does not have the rights too.  that would be every bit as bad in the eyes of the court as just saying screw it and producing unseen warhammers and marauders again.

you wanna pay those legal bills?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

mechwarriorgarya

• Master Sergeant
  • Commanding man and machine since '94
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2011, 14:08:55 »
Unseen figures missing parts is a good excuse for making a custom design.  ;)

I have a few that got the custom treatment for that very reason.

You don't even have to go that far though, a P-Hawk without jump jets could just be the jump-less PXH-1K variant.
One Species, One Realm - translation: Live by The League or Die by The League
Between the fall of the ancient Star League and the rise of the heirs of Steiner Davion there was an age undreamed of...

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2011, 14:18:45 »
The parts packs show up on ebay and LotB pretty often for reasonable prices. Secondary market is far from dry and it's where you have to play to get the old gals in the first place nowadays.

Personally I like broken and missing parts unseens. I'd never have the guts to chop a perfect one up to make a custom but give me one that's already got one foot in the grave and I'll crack my knuckles and get down to business.

Plenty of close replacement stuff from IWM and Reaper anyhow if you know how to bash a bit.

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2011, 19:48:19 »
you could also try to sculpt the parts for yourself. I am thinking about doing that for some of my missing parts.

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2011, 00:01:02 »
Sometimes looking for replacments parts is the fun part of the challenge of modeling, things like searchlights are easily produced used plasticard cut to shape, Marauder arms can be scratch made with effort, things like that.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2011, 08:00:56 »
Or get your hands on some of this:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools-and-misc/instant-mold.html

I have a pack, but haven't used it. Only really helps if you already have a piece to make a copy of, anyway...

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2011, 08:42:57 »
Or get your hands on some of this:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools-and-misc/instant-mold.html

I have a pack, but haven't used it. Only really helps if you already have a piece to make a copy of, anyway...

ooohhh man!!!!!!!!!!! Big thanks for sure! That stuff looks like what I need, along with the vids that were thrown in the same group on youtube. My StoneRhino's arms busted and its just a damn shame. I have lost some of the little guns on my vehicles, including one of my Hertzers. I always wanted to make my own bits and such, but never did because I always thought it took a lot of cash to start, lots of time, and a good amount of dedicated space.

That stuff right there...thats awesome.     [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool]

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2011, 09:00:17 »
That... really is cool. I've never seen that before.

I doubt I have the skill/patience/sanity to pull something like that off anyway, but it's intriguing anyway.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2011, 10:12:25 »
That 'Instant Mold' makes a lot of sense.  It looks easier than RTV Silicon/Resin for molding.

Purchasing two.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2011, 11:21:43 »
Sweet stuff. I wonder what it's made from. I remember a product with similar properties a few years ago, but used for something different...
Maker of big things.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2011, 11:22:59 »
Sweet stuff. I wonder what it's made from. I remember a product with similar properties a few years ago, but used for something different...

Oyumaru.

On further research, it looks like the guys at CMON just bought a bunch of it and repackaged it in smaller increments and priced them up accordingly.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2011, 22:22:49 »
What type of plastic do they you use. The stuff that I find sets to quickly for small parts which is why I am thinking about sculpting it.

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2011, 02:25:39 »
The parts packs show up on ebay and LotB pretty often for reasonable prices.

Umm, what he said. They've also got a thread there (at LotB), with people posting extra bits they no longer need.  8)
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!