Author Topic: Ultra counterinvasion transport  (Read 3532 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Ultra counterinvasion transport
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2023, 14:16:44 »
I've always fluffed it that the recharge cables have small RCS packages on them just like the Zero-G transport containers. Also a Jumpsail deploys far from its Jumpship on its own cabling so its not like its necessarily right there. Traffic around the station will have to divert slightly to avoid entanglement but that's a separate issue

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2023, 22:57:31 »

Sounds good. 

I added a bit of discussion about capacities and varied loadouts.  It turns out you can hit about 5x a Vengeance if half of your ASF are medium or light, and furthermore you can deploy them in a continuous stream.  Also, the Ultra seems to make an exceptional vessel for enabling boarding ops due to the combination of smallcraft and plentiful life support.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 12 January 2023, 13:28:31 »
I think there was a rule/comment way back in the books where recharging from a station could be done via a really long extension cable.  This would allow the station to keep its sail deployed, and the Jumpship/Warship could deploy its sail as well.

But this sounds like a good question for the main boards, asking how a Jumpship can deploy its sail while docked with a Recharge station, and not resulting in any tangling.

Or put up the Cray signal   ;)

From another thread you can charge 2 ways from an Olympus station.

1.  Direct Connect Cable  (Takes the place of using your own Engine/Fuel)
2.  Microwave Beam to the Jumpsail  (Takes the place of using your sail to collect at a slower stellar rate)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 12 January 2023, 16:43:39 »
From another thread you can charge 2 ways from an Olympus station.

1.  Direct Connect Cable  (Takes the place of using your own Engine/Fuel)
2.  Microwave Beam to the Jumpsail  (Takes the place of using your sail to collect at a slower stellar rate)
I believe everyone is in agreement on this.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 12 January 2023, 19:55:56 »
Concur!  :thumbsup:

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 05 February 2023, 23:27:20 »
I tweaked the Ultra design to include more ASF bays while reducing the smallcraft bays to 12.  This has a minor effect improving the maximum deployable ASF force and slightly decreases the overall price.  Otherwise the mission remains the same: jump circuit in to repel invasions with maximal force in minimal time.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 30 December 2023, 07:44:19 »
Another minor update---tweaks to the weapons layout following a suggestion from Daryk in the Brood thread.  The 3x AC2 arrays provides a minor but reliable way to poke opponents (like light ASF) which can actually manage to track down the Ultra.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 30 December 2023, 08:50:31 »
Thanks for the credit, good sir! :)