Author Topic: Running a Mercenary Unit under AToW?  (Read 2985 times)

venom9ka

• Recruit
Running a Mercenary Unit under AToW?
« on: 15 July 2011, 00:53:15 »
I am wondering if there is a new system available for tracking the logistics of running a "mercenary" unit under the newer rules systems since Total Warfare / A Time of War? Although I have found some information in Strategic Ops, it doesn't seem to be as developed/complete as the information found in the Field Manual: Mercenaries: Revised (along with the updates). Do most people just use the information in the Field Manuals or is there some other information somewhere that I haven't found yet?
Please advise.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
Re: Running a Mercenary Unit under AToW?
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2011, 01:01:31 »
I am wondering if there is a new system available for tracking the logistics of running a "mercenary" unit under the newer rules systems since Total Warfare / A Time of War? Although I have found some information in Strategic Ops, it doesn't seem to be as developed/complete as the information found in the Field Manual: Mercenaries: Revised (along with the updates). Do most people just use the information in the Field Manuals or is there some other information somewhere that I haven't found yet?
Please advise.

It should be in Interstellar Ops.  Otherwise, FM Mercs still works for the most part.

venom9ka

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2011, 01:10:56 »
Forgive my ignorance, where can I find this "Interstellar Ops"? Under Products, the closest I find to this title is Interstellar Players FPR 35003, but that book is based on Mechwarrior 3rd/ Classic Battletech: RPG system.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2011, 01:19:40 »
Forgive my ignorance, where can I find this "Interstellar Ops"? Under Products, the closest I find to this title is Interstellar Players FPR 35003, but that book is based on Mechwarrior 3rd/ Classic Battletech: RPG system.

Interstellar Operations is a book that hasn't been released yet - it'll be part of the current series that includes Tactical Operations and Strategic Operations.

venom9ka

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2011, 01:35:45 »
Ahh, so for the present time, FM: Mercs is likely the source of choice for finding Salary/ Repair Times/ Healing information? Thanks for the response.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2011, 03:22:56 »
Some of that information is in Strategic Operations.  Field Manual: Mercenaries contains rules for starting up a unit, getting contracts, administering the unit's logistics and so on, but repair, maintenance and medical rules are in StratOps.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2011, 09:19:37 »
I still use the old Mercenary Handbook 3055. It has all the rules in one place.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2011, 09:28:02 »
Till better arrives... just going to have to hybrid the heck out of the whole deal...  Mercs: 3055 is still fantastic for that with supplementary stuff from FM: Mercs works to an acceptable degree.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.