Author Topic: CO - Planet Condition of 1.5-2Gs gravity means Modifier of .05 or 0.5 ?  (Read 1767 times)

idea weenie

• Major
Source is Campaign Operations, corrected 3rd printing, page 123, Planetary Population Table
It is in Solar System Generation -> COLONY CREATION -> Step 1: Population -> Population -> Planetary Population Table, bottom half

In the Planetary Population Table, the bottom half is the Planet Condition, with a modifier for the various conditions.

The line for "Gravity 1.5-2Gs" has a modifier of "x.05".
However, the line for "Gravity 1.2-1.5Gs or below 0.8Gs" has a modifier of "x0.8", meaning that the gravity above 1.5Gs is 16* harder to live on than a planet with only 1.2Gs gravity (0.8 / .05 = 16).
There is also the line for "Uninhabitable", which also has a modifier of 0.05, and is for Gravity above 2 Gs.  This is the same multiplier as for gravity above 1.5 Gs, which seems strange to me.

The gravity 1.5-2Gs modifier is also the only one that has a decimal as the leading character, rather than a leading zero.

I have taken the liberty of copying the table and pasting it below, with only the relevant 4 lines kept (title, gravity over 2Gs, gravity 1.2-1.5Gs, and gravity 1.5-2Gs):
Planet Condition                              Modifier     Modifier Description
Uninhabitablex0.05Planet has a toxic, very high, vacuum, and/or trace atmosphere; gravity is over 2Gs
Gravity 1.2-1.5Gs or below 0.8Gsx0.8-
Gravity 1.5-2Gsx.05-

My question:
Should the Planet Condition Modifier for gravity of 1.5-2Gs have a modifier of x0.5 instead of x.05?

It would make the multiplier have the same format as the other multipliers (a leading zero), and would make a planet with 2Gs only 1.6 times harder to colonize than a 1.2G planet rather than 16* harder to colonize as currently written.

idea weenie

• Major
Monthly bump

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
However, the line for "Gravity 1.2-1.5Gs or below 0.8Gs" has a modifier of "x0.8", meaning that the gravity above 1.5Gs is 16* harder to live on than a planet with only 1.2Gs gravity (0.8 / .05 = 16).

That is actually a typo. The notes I submitted for the revision of Campaign Operations meant to give a 0.5x multiplier for 1.5-2G gravity, if you want to submit an errata.

The "uninhabitable" multiplier of 0.05 is correct.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

idea weenie

• Major
That is actually a typo. The notes I submitted for the revision of Campaign Operations meant to give a 0.5x multiplier for 1.5-2G gravity, if you want to submit an errata.

The "uninhabitable" multiplier of 0.05 is correct.

Errata submitted