Author Topic: Rasalhague Dominion: The voting will continue until morale improves!  (Read 48336 times)

Minemech

• Captain
It is funny that you mention the HPG system...
:toofunny:

I was referring to the fact that Comstar maintained an absolute monopoly over HPGs because no one else could provide that service. Yeah, I parsed that in a way that might make me seem aloof to who was buying up Comstar.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
:toofunny:

I was referring to the fact that Comstar maintained an absolute monopoly over HPGs because no one else could provide that service. Yeah, I parsed that in a way that might make me seem aloof to who was buying up Comstar.

The question is will the Sea Foxes try to sell mercs to the Ghost Bears or just merchandise.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I think that the Dominion is going to have to be really desperate before considering hiring mercs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CJC070

• Lieutenant
I think that the Dominion is going to have to be really desperate before considering hiring mercs.

So the Dominion won’t buy not the first financial error the Sea Foxes have.  By the way have you heard their new sale on an Oscout IIC currently 10% off (sale started 3070).

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
At least inner sphere mercs, too bad the vipers arent still around ;)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!

I'm certain there was mention in at least one sourcebook that the Dominion had a back-up plan of some kind to mobilize/militarize their own population if they had to.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
And the DC has the Ashigaru Initiative. This has the potential to get as total war as BattleTech gets as various forms of conscription are activated.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
FM3145, pg 153: "Emergency plans exist for the mass mobilization of the Rasalhagian population, which would produce an army the other Clans could only dream about, but these plans come with a social and economic cost the Council is not willing to bear."

To be fair, Dominions Divided was probably the nail in the coffin to the idea, and lots of plot threads and story seeds from FM3145 have shifted under the newer regime. But still, the idea of pitting these two up against each other like that is a lot of fun to ponder.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Captain
FM3145, pg 153: "Emergency plans exist for the mass mobilization of the Rasalhagian population, which would produce an army the other Clans could only dream about, but these plans come with a social and economic cost the Council is not willing to bear."

To be fair, Dominions Divided was probably the nail in the coffin to the idea, and lots of plot threads and story seeds from FM3145 have shifted under the newer regime. But still, the idea of pitting these two up against each other like that is a lot of fun to ponder.

Would that be all Rasalhagians who could serve the miltary? Or only the younger ones who are more fit for military service? Either way that would be an army no Clan has ever controlled. I could see major issues keeping the the cohesion intact for a longer time of conflict

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Well the Ghost Bear Dominion has never had a scenario on that scale that would require it. The FRR of course did and that was the Ghost Bears invading. I don’t know what our reserves would look like but I do imagine a lot of Battle Armor and Vehicles (obviously Infantry) sorta like the ending of ‘Trial by Chaos’ on Vega.

But as Tessa pointed out DD makes this sort of initiative sorta dangerous. To put a ‘hostile’ population with a lot of military hardware… you’ll need one hell of a threat to have them all cohesive and aligned in purpose: we’re talking DCMS invading first or IlClan declaring Absorption, Homeworld invasions etc etc.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
And there's the usual BattleTech problems: how do you equip and mobilize such an enormous force? Okay, you've got 50,000 regiments on paper, but they're armed with kitchen knives and can't deploy anywhere they can't walk.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
And there's the usual BattleTech problems: how do you equip and mobilize such an enormous force? Okay, you've got 50,000 regiments on paper, but they're armed with kitchen knives and can't deploy anywhere they can't walk.

Exactly: coupled with the patchwork HPG/ Pony express system that is wrecking your JumpShip fleets.

Metallgewitter

• Captain

The only thing I could see for that would be akin to the Ashigaru initiatives of the Combine: turn your planets populations into armed camps (simple rifles and armored vehicles should be something most planets can produce by retooling factories) and you have at least a line of defense on your planets. But for offense when you need Mechs, fighters and real tanks? Not possible. Mech pilots alone need a lot of training and those also have to be produced or pulled out of mothballs / boneyard bunkers and get prepped. And as said before right after a civil war? That's brushing the line of chaos right there

DOC_Agren

• Major

I honest think and hope that all nations have a plan like these to turn planets into armed camps that become harder to invade.   I see Infantry and Armored forces, because we can raise them cheaply..  You aren't going to magically raise Mech or Aerospace Pilots and units for them to operate.  Nor is moving them from planet to planet going to be easy.

The downside of raising Armed Camps is if they turn on Clan forces, the natives are armed and a threat to them.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

CJC070

• Lieutenant
I honest think and hope that all nations have a plan like these to turn planets into armed camps that become harder to invade.   I see Infantry and Armored forces, because we can raise them cheaply..  You aren't going to magically raise Mech or Aerospace Pilots and units for them to operate.  Nor is moving them from planet to planet going to be easy.

The downside of raising Armed Camps is if they turn on Clan forces, the natives are armed and a threat to them.

I doubt the Wolves or Falcons had similar plans but again it could explain how some of their former holdings managed to raise an armed force so easily.

Metallgewitter

• Captain

I would say that at least some planets have plans for that. Just look at Kentares IV during the Combine's push. The Kentares DMM build fortifications, the National Guard was incorporated into the command structure and every company on the planet began producing anything of military value. And as we have seen in the Reunification War it doesn't take much to turn a truck into a light missile carrier. Though I doubt this is something that is nationwide. After all a lot of planets are probably not able to build such a defense especially the backwater one on Periphery borders or planets that are only marginaly habitable. That might be a good place to entrap an enemy but not for long guerilla campaigns

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I doubt the Wolves or Falcons had similar plans but again it could explain how some of their former holdings managed to raise an armed force so easily.
The Falcons may have had one in general, but I can't see it ever getting used during Malvina's time as Khan. The Wolves have done something like that, offering warrior caste washouts a 2nd Trial of Position to fill vehicle/garrison units when the touman was low. They did it when they jump from the OZ to the Wolf Empire territory, they offered the former Marik and Lyran citizens touman spots, usually on the other side of the Wolf Empire so they could keep fighting their old enemies, just under a new banner.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
The Falcons may have had one in general, but I can't see it ever getting used during Malvina's time as Khan. The Wolves have done something like that, offering warrior caste washouts a 2nd Trial of Position to fill vehicle/garrison units when the touman was low.

Malvina did the exact same thing in "A Rending of Falcons".

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
The Falcons may have had one in general, but I can't see it ever getting used during Malvina's time as Khan. The Wolves have done something like that, offering warrior caste washouts a 2nd Trial of Position to fill vehicle/garrison units when the touman was low. They did it when they jump from the OZ to the Wolf Empire territory, they offered the former Marik and Lyran citizens touman spots, usually on the other side of the Wolf Empire so they could keep fighting their old enemies, just under a new banner.
In FM3145 Malvina was grabbing anyone with an interest in being a warrior and shoving them in a tank regardless of their providence. Gotta get your cannon fodder somewhere.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Whoops guessed I missed that. I didn't think she'd stoop that far, but vehicle crews are vehicle crews to most Clanners.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Whoops guessed I missed that. I didn't think she'd stoop that far, but vehicle crews are vehicle crews to most Clanners.

She actually picked that trick up from the Horses, after observing firsthand how well their castes intermingled and worked together. It was also a power move against Jana Pryde, something she was doing to stir up sentiment against her during the Rending.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Random interlude: our Capital in the Homeworld was Arcadia right? I remember we held the Toshaka Mech Works Factory and parts of Bearclaw with the Ravens but our capital was on Arcadia right?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Random interlude: our Capital in the Homeworld was Arcadia right? I remember we held the Toshaka Mech Works Factory and parts of Bearclaw with the Ravens but our capital was on Arcadia right?

That was always my assumption, but I'll be damned if I can actually find something in print that confirms it!  ;D

Decoy

• Captain
Sarna tells me that Bearclaw was the capitol when the Bears were in the Homeworlds. IIRC Arcadia was one of the few places they kept before the reaving and after their move so...
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Sarna tells me that Bearclaw was the capitol when the Bears were in the Homeworlds.

Beware Sarna and those uncited sources.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
The Dominion Council Hall is in Alshain (source Dark Age: Touring the Stars 3130)

Rascalhague is where the Executive is (source unknown)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
He means before the move to Alshain/the Inner Sphere.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
He means before the move to Alshain/the Inner Sphere.

Thanks for the correction and actually found a credited source
Field Manual: Warden Clans pg. 88 identifies Alshain as the capital of Clan Ghost Bear.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Thanks for the correction and actually found a credited source
Field Manual: Warden Clans pg. 88 identifies Alshain as the capital of Clan Ghost Bear.

That's still post-migration to the Inner Sphere. We're talking about before that time.

Motpart

• Private
Looking through Dominions Divided again, and taking together all the great amounts of spontaneous violence and dissent that comes from opposing views, the simmering tensions lying dormant underneath the surface, that have been briefly bottled up into an unwatched pressure cooker by a 'quick and easy' campaign against the Combine, which has a clear means of both escalating and going extremely badly, extremely quickly, in a political, economic and military sense, whilst also adding in the prospect of armed Rasalhagian conscripts;

I'd rather the consequences of this misadventure are more genuinely serious in a follow-up outcome than not; like, not discounting irrevocably breaking the Dominion apart in an actual civil war/revolt into their own radicalised Rasalhague and Bear factions-style serious.

It's my opinion, but I think it'd provide more fresh air, and fertile grounds going forward for both Rasalhague and Bears, both in and out of fiction.

Register