Author Topic: Rasalhague Dominion: The voting will continue until morale improves!  (Read 47430 times)

AutumnEffect

• Corporal
How familiar are you with driving light Mechs? Same basic principles apply. This isn’t an up the guts brawling Mech. You need to use cover and distraction to get close to your target. Then work hard to get into the rear arc because even short range configs lack the guns to stay in a peer's front arc.

Not very, I've really only been running Heavy Stars, like my last game was two Mad Cat Primes, two Mad Dog Primes and a Rifleman C 3.
I was thinking about trading out the Rifleman for something like a Fire Falcon to be something like an interceptor. A Shadow Cat managed to skirt behind the Star and was a nuisance.

I'm glad for the advice though, I'll keep it in mind when I try one out.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2023, 01:56:42 by AutumnEffect »

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
The F is a beast… but what assault mech that goes 10 hexes, has three big guns (two being Large Pulses) mated to a targeting computer, isn’t a beast? The BV is thru the roof but again so are all executioners.

But as Jellico said: use it more like a lighter machine and use that engine boost to get into (or out of) good spots.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
The Executioner is definitely a finesse 'Mech, even close-range configs need to be treated as snipers...you've got to have tons of patience with this thing until you can close at the right moment (using all that speed/jump ability)

Where this 'Mech falters most is 1v1 against another (Clan) Assault that is geared to long range attacks...you can't out-snipe them, you don't out-armour them, and your ridiculous BV means they probably get a better pilot/gunner to counter your movement bonuses
« Last Edit: 24 July 2023, 14:35:51 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Decoy

• Captain
Example: Vlad in a Warhawk vs. Vandervahn in his Executioner
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Though Stackpole never truly depicted a Gladiator as having the mobility it actually does.  After Vlad's fight in Malicious Intent he had Phelan use a Gladiator A to duel a Smoke Jaguar officer who somehow was in danger of out-maneuvering him with a Daishi.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Decoy

• Captain
Logan Moon just kept on winning initiative.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
The Executioner is definitely a finesse 'Mech, even close-range configs need to be treated as snipers...you've got to have tons of patience with this thing until you can close at the right moment (using all that speed/jump ability)

Where this 'Mech falters most is 1v1 against another (Clan) Assault that is geared to long range attacks...you can't out-snipe them, you don't out-armour them, and your ridiculous BV means they probably get a better pilot/gunner to counter your movement bonuses

I use the F to hunt direwolves,trust me it can handle other assaults just fine ^_^.  My advice would echo what others have said tho, run and gun till you soften them up then use your superior mobility to pick and choose when you want to engage.
The JJ may seem anaemic untill you need to jump
 somewhere to chill off and give your masc/supercharger a chance to reset.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2023, 17:25:34 by Foxx Ital »
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
I use the F to hunt direwolves,trust me it can handle other assaults just fine ^_^.  My advice would echo what others have said tho, run and gun till you soften them up then use your superior mobility to pick and choose when you want to engage.
The JJ may seem anaemic untill you need to jump
 somewhere to chill off and give your masc/supercharger a chance to reset.
I just meant in general, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who isn't used to using Exes to go up against another Clan Assault that is geared for range
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Let's be honest. Using Executioners to hunt nominally top Mechs like Dire Wolves, Tomahawks, or Hellstars is your end goal as an Executioner pilot. Knowing how to avoid the fire and pick your moment to strike is what it is all about. It is the Jade Phoenix that is the new challenge on the block, and I haven't worked out how to deal with that one yet. Maybe something like an Executioner A.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
My problem is I dont fight as intended. The exe F is a sniper but I use it to soften up targets before I rush up and punch them in the mouth. Most assaults the F faces off against die from headshots.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Let's be honest. Using Executioners to hunt nominally top Mechs like Dire Wolves, Tomahawks, or Hellstars is your end goal as an Executioner pilot. Knowing how to avoid the fire and pick your moment to strike is what it is all about. It is the Jade Phoenix that is the new challenge on the block, and I haven't worked out how to deal with that one yet. Maybe something like an Executioner A.

Well I Have a Mastodon A (1/2) going up against a Jade Phoenix Prime (2/3) so I’ll let you know how that goes: but those are two COMPLETELY different play styles of mech. Almost polar opposites (as far as assault mechs go)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Man, a Mastodon with three Large Pulse Lasers and a 1 gunner?  That Jade Phoenix is going to get shredded.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Man, a Mastodon with three Large Pulse Lasers and a 1 gunner?  That Jade Phoenix is going to get shredded.

I tried to match mechs as close as possible: his customer Shrike versus my (Marauders) Cave Bear, his Jade Phoenix versus my Mastodon, and his Mad Dog IV versus a Kingfisher (not the BEST matchup). But my BV ended up being a lot lower so I have an extra point on his pilots in G/P (or both). Full Zell so while I don’t want to disclose my plans on here (because he’s also a member of this forum lol) needless to say I’ve spent a long time running with IS pilots for so crafty plays in mind.

Jade Phoenix is a beast too and I look forward to fighting one.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Is each match up BV paired or just the overall?
Cause wow the Mastodon A seems crazy cheap then.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Is each match up BV paired or just the overall?
Cause wow the Mastodon A seems crazy cheap then.

Overall

2/1 Cave Bear: 6094
1/2 Mastadon: 5769
2/2 Kingfisher: 4142

Vs

2/3 Shrike 4: 5976
2/3 Jade Phoenix: 5505
2/3 Max Dog IV B: 4450

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Mastodon As are cheap. Only a single 15 point weapon. 2 and 1 gunners are so far outside what I normally play as to be a totally different game. I would go as far as to not use pulse because the gunners push accuracy into the very ends of the 2D6 bell curve and don't gain you that much. Unless you plan to be fighting at long range. The Phoenix will still want to close and will only be pulling +3 movement mods.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery

I haven't actually played Alpha Strike, but comparing unit cards, the Exe looks like it holds its own much better there

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
I haven't actually played Alpha Strike, but comparing unit cards, the Exe looks like it holds its own much better there

It’s a lot easier to use there, between having the fixed TMM, MASC being always on, armor conversion and rounding, and doubling up JJ with other things don’t pay the premium they do in BV. It’s still expensive for a mech, but you can usually get the 50ish PV out of it.

That being said when I used the Mastodon C in AS it was also a monster.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: Rasalhague Dominion: The voting will continue until morale improves!
« Reply #468 on: 16 August 2023, 12:03:35 »
Totally random, but I was finally able to confirm that Bearclaw was the Bears' capital in the Kerensky Cluster before their move to the Inner Sphere (WoK, pg 65: "They also managed to capture parts of the Bear capital on Bearclaw, along with sections of the Nova Cat enclave on the same world."). I knew I wasn't crazy and had read that somewhere before, damn it.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #469 on: 16 August 2023, 13:47:22 »
Totally random, but I was finally able to confirm that Bearclaw was the Bears' capital in the Kerensky Cluster before their move to the Inner Sphere (WoK, pg 65: "They also managed to capture parts of the Bear capital on Bearclaw, along with sections of the Nova Cat enclave on the same world."). I knew I wasn't crazy and had read that somewhere before, damn it.

Nice! WoK? What books that?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #470 on: 16 August 2023, 13:48:34 »
Nice! WoK? What books that?

The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #472 on: 17 August 2023, 22:46:53 »
I knew I wasn't crazy and had read that somewhere before, damn it.

I too knew I had read it somewhere, good job finding it! *thumbs up* (there's no more thumbs up emoji)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #473 on: 21 August 2023, 09:39:55 »
Just wanted to ask something. I read some parts of Dominions Divided again and there was the mention that the Combine has 3 times the population then the Rasalhague Dominion and that this could be the straw that could break the Bears back (either by incorporating this many people into the quasi democratic Dominion if their shot war nets them a lot of worlds or by simply outmanning the manpower the Dominion can throw at the front lines)  For the first point: would the Dominion even allow that? I imagine if they would see the rise of parties / leaders that demand "relese to our benelovent coordinator" I would assume that they squash this immediately. Especially as the Republic has shown what happens when you have several cultures in one realm that not fully identify with said realm

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #474 on: 21 August 2023, 15:05:51 »
If it comes down to that we are one jump from the Dracs capital and have two super warships with jump batteries. The RasDom navy is willing to do its own thing as per DD if the Khan won’t. I think it’s MAD here on this front.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #475 on: 21 August 2023, 15:14:31 »
I certainly hope that the Bears aren't stupid enough to give us a repeat performance of the Jaguars and Turtle Bay. Not only would this be a surefire way of rousing the Combine to throw everything they have at the Bears (and ruin that "the Combine has never beat the Dominion" fantasy they're so proud of in DD), but it would also deepen the Dominion's fracture lines even further once the civvies figure out that the Bears hold so little value for their lives.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #476 on: 21 August 2023, 15:29:27 »
The RD has been the sick man of the Dark Age timeline. Powers that enter such states will engage in desperate actions to try to establish the illusion of stability, if they cannot find a scapegoat. Two easy to study examples of this are Austria-Hungary and the crumbling 19th-20th century Ottoman Empire. There are powers that survive such periods, but for now the RD has work to do with Khans less competent than those leading during the early invasion period.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #477 on: 21 August 2023, 16:47:12 »
Just wanted to ask something. I read some parts of Dominions Divided again and there was the mention that the Combine has 3 times the population then the Rasalhague Dominion and that this could be the straw that could break the Bears back (either by incorporating this many people into the quasi democratic Dominion if their shot war nets them a lot of worlds or by simply outmanning the manpower the Dominion can throw at the front lines)  For the first point: would the Dominion even allow that? I imagine if they would see the rise of parties / leaders that demand "relese to our benelovent coordinator" I would assume that they squash this immediately. Especially as the Republic has shown what happens when you have several cultures in one realm that not fully identify with said realm

Combine is three times larger but it also has three times as many enemies and one of them is FedSuns

And even with all the issues Feds have now they are still existential threat for Combine

Bears are there of course and now it seems that Raven Alliance will also be in the mix, probably not as invaders but definitely not something you can safely ignore and which will require military precautions

Also we need to keep in mind that Combine just suffered massive defeat and lost New Avalon, there will be consequences for this failure, especially for Coordinator because I doubt people like Black Dragons are pleased with this dishonor

As for incorporating Combine citizens into Dominion it's very unlikely that they will just be given any voting rights for the foreseeable future. For Rasalhague Dominion this is the war of righteous conquest not one of liberation and in the eyes of both Bears and Rasalhague these people first need to redeem themselves for the crime of being Kuritans before they are given anything that any real citizens of Dominion have the right to

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #478 on: 21 August 2023, 16:54:09 »
 The defeat on New Avalon will be credited to the warlord. The Black Dragon Society is currently a non-entity in Combine affairs. The Dragoons will likely also take some of the blame.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2023, 16:55:53 by Minemech »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #479 on: 21 August 2023, 16:56:06 »
Yes, but the Combine still has to contend with the renewed effort the FedSuns has been making to retake worlds that the Combine captured.

Register