Author Topic: PMC - "Ursa Company" Development  (Read 2899 times)

GreyDeathangel

• Private
PMC - "Ursa Company" Development
« on: 10 February 2023, 00:43:42 »
Hi all,
The private military company (PMC) known as Ursa Company (UC) was first formed late in the year 2784. It's founding members were surviving personnel from the 213th Royal Dragoons, a SLDF regiment that was active during the Amaris Civil War, which saw action against forces in the periphery and later forces loyal to Amaris the usurper. Ursa Company would take on many contracts for ComStar throughout the many years of active service, seeing it as the last vestige of the old Star League.

3025 - 3049 = Current assignment on the boarder with the periphery states near Canopian, Taurian, FedSuns, and Capellan space. Sent to engage with pirates, and the occasional uppity homesteader whom didn't get the hint when someone representing ComStar's interest in the area. Looking for old SLDF caches.
  The OpFor during this time will be Pirates/Raiders

3050 - 3061 = Called up by their primary contract holder ComStar the unit will be sent into the Clan Invasion corridor in the Rasalhague territory. There they will encounter the warriors of Clan Ghost Bear. After capturing POWs and clan tech equipment the unit would be forced to pull back to friendlier territory to rebuild and rearm. Were they would be given a contract to operate in support of the Second Star League Defense Force's Operation: BULLDOG. This would cause them to encounter the forces of the second line garrisons of Clan Smoke Jaguar.
  The OpFor for this era will be Clan Ghost Bear and Clan Smoke Jaguar.... Maybe even they might have a match up with the Falcons or Wolves as well.

3062 - 3067 = Following the Clan Invasion UC will be taking on a more long term defense contract training up a local militia force on a world within the Federated Commonwealth closer to the Federated Suns and on the boarder with the Draconis Combine. Preparing the militia for future hostilities with the Clans. During this time the Lyran Steiner loyalist forces engage with the forces loyal to Prince Davion. The resulting conflict would see UC fighting alongside the militia forces loyal to Davion. 
  The OpFor for them this time would be the Lyran Alliance.

3100s
 Not all that sure who they'll engaged with at this time, I want to make them in this era as well cause I really like some of the Battle Armor designs as well as a lot of mech designs from this era.

OKAY, so let's look at the Ursa Company from the 3025-3067 timeline.
Consider that they are what's left of a former SLDF Royal Regiment and it's support assets, working with Comstar to keep up some of the harder to acquire supplies/parts.

Heavy Aerospace Assets

"Iceward Dale" = Invader-class Jumpship   (was looking at what kind of configurations that this ship could have, thoughts include Jump battery, transporting Aerospace Fighters/small craft. Since UC only has two Dropships they usually rent out the third docking collar as much as possible.)

"Stormspike Twilight" = Fortress-class Dropship

"Angelic Serenity" = Union-class Dropship

8 -12 Battlemechs
Sample of 3025 era mech units
Alpha Lance
NF - Spartan
8K - Flashman
1A - Wolfhound
H - Firestarter
Bravo Lance
7A - Warhammer
5Sb - Thunderbolt
2R - Crusader
6M - Dervish
Charlie Lance
?
after 3054 they'll have lost some of their hardware during fighting with Clan Ghost Bear, and will have to replace a lot of their equipment.
Alpha
2 - Devastator
9J - Nightstar
2R - Crusader
7D - Dervish (or an upgraded 6m)
Bravo
3Z - Pillager
732 - Highlander
H - Firestarter
7V - Chameleon

? Artillery (until they were unable to get ammo for them they used mobile Arrow IV launchers, later acquire tubed artillery like Sniper and Long Toms).

? Support Vehicles (APCs (Maxims), transports, recovery vehicles, etc...) maybe even some anti-air support for the artillery battery?

1 Infantry Company (They use their infantry for forward recon, security, minelaying, etc...(later they'll be getting some Battle Armor (Rasalhague natives trained by clan elemental infantrymen who were taken as bondsmen during the clan invasion))

QUESTION TIME

1 - What is your thoughts on the development so far?
2 - Any suggestions on their equipment, dropships (like how to configure them?), ASFs, etc.?
3 - Based off of rumors, and more I plan on acquiring multiple plastic mechs from the current releases and the next KS, maybe even add some other minis as well. a list of mechs that I was thinking of adding to the force include ideas?
  • Light
    Firestarter, Spector, Wolfhound, Cougar
    Medium
    Dervish, Chameleon, Phoenix Hawk, Black Lanner, Stormcrow, Griffin IIC, Shadow Hawk IIC
    Heavy
    Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Crusader, Exterminator, Guillotine, Flashman, TimberWolf
    Assault
    Zeus, Pillager, Devastator, Nightstar, Highlander, Spartan, Awesome, DireWolf, Kingfisher, Warhawk

Thanks again,
Dave

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Re: PMC - "Ursa Company" Development
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2023, 16:45:54 »
So on the equipment front,

A SLDF Dragoon regiment was heavy and assault battlemechs, with an attached combat vehicle battalion. The vehicles were heavy hover tanks and other heavy or assault weight combat vehicles.

You currently have two dropships that can carry 24 battlemechs.

With close proximity to Taurian factories, designs like the Marauder, Archer,  Warhammer and Thunderbolt should be relatively common.

I'm thinking 8 to 16 common designs like that, maybe a Lance each of old SLDF designs like that Spartan ad "hangar queens" and then maybe another Lance of fast mechs.

The Fortress can carry 12 vehicles, so a Lance of artillery and maybe 2 lances of heavy tanks like the Manticore...a common design and produced by the Magistracy.

You have room for a 3rd dropship, and I suggest a Condor. That carries 20 light vehicles and 12 infantry platoons. So you could put some hovertanks here.

Infantry might be two platoons each on the Fortress and Condor, with the rest of the room on the Condor housing unit dependents.

I believe the Condor has good medical facilities, and given the SL roots this might be a good PR for the unit to promote when on contract.

Another dropship option would be a Mule.

GreyDeathangel

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2023, 19:29:32 »
Okay so I've been away for a while due to issues at home.
I've also been looking into this force a little more at the time.

So on the equipment front,

A SLDF Dragoon regiment was heavy and assault battlemechs, with an attached combat vehicle battalion. The vehicles were heavy hover tanks and other heavy or assault weight combat vehicles.

Very true, and they would also have only roughly one chassis per company (not necessarily the same variant). At the beginning they'd be similar, but losses from the various engagements during the Amaris Civil War has quite reduced the regiment.
Was also thinking that I'd have them take part of ComStar's Operation Silver Shield in their early operations. They'd be sent out to secure old SLDF/Star League facilities during the early years.

You currently have two dropships that can carry 24 battlemechs.

With close proximity to Taurian factories, designs like the Marauder, Archer,  Warhammer and Thunderbolt should be relatively common.

I'm thinking 8 to 16 common designs like that, maybe a Lance each of old SLDF designs like that Spartan ad "hangar queens" and then maybe another Lance of fast mechs.

Was thinking that they could have some spare slots in the hanger for "future" expansions, and for mechs that CGL/IWM haven't made yet, or additional cargo.
Inspired to look at the 3025 era manufacturing of mech chassis, and having seen that the Warhammer and Thunderbolt from Taurians is a solid idea.
Right now I've been going over all the mechs that CGL have released on the 1st and 2nd kickstarter as well as some mechs from IWMs and compiled a list of mechs that I like the looks of.
From the machines that they might get a hold of from ComStar, old SLDF caches, leftover stock from their old regiment, and newer machines brought in from the locations that they're currently located...trying to design them from this smaller list might be helpful.
Currently trying to design them in 2 main lists for their "Company" of mechs one in 3025 and the other post 3055, after their refit period...the might've smashed some clan garrisons to get some extra hardware...
In 3055 onward they'll be taking on Battle Armored infantry to augment their infantry company, and at the moment I don't know how to properly transport them with current IS designed dropships.

Light
Firestarter
Spector  (4F is an option, but they might have to wait on this one till later)
Wolfhound  (I like the 1A and 2 variants, but they might not be able to easily get one due to their location of operation during the 3025s)
(C) Cougar
Medium
Phoenix Hawk
Chameleon  (early years they could use the 4B trainer, converted for frontline duty, or scouting lance)
Dervish
(C) Black Lanner
(C) Stormcrow
(C) Griffin IIC
(C) Shadow Hawk IIC
Heavy
Thunderbolt  (I was thinking that they have at least one 5Sb in the force)
Warhammer  (the main character of the fanfiction that I've been working on for this force will start out in a family mech from the founder a WHM-7A, downgraded (examples of this downgrade include swapping the ERPPCs for standard PPCs, Small Pulses for regular smalls, and removal of the Artemis system on the SRMs)
Crusader  (They have a 2R in the force)
Flashman  (either the older 8K or the stop gap 7K)
(C) Timber Wolf
(C) Nova Cat
(C) Night Gyr
Assault
Nightstar
Highlander
Pillager
Devastator
Spartan
(C) Dire Wolf
(C) Warhawk
(C) Kingfisher

I did think of adding a third dropship to the force, but am debating on it.
The Condor is a nice DS, but I'm particularly a fan of the spheroids...so a Mule might be a solid investment, heck the Mule alone can carry most of the equipment. They would have access to Aerospace assets, Support hardware (Recovery vehicles, cargo transports, infantry transports, artillery, etc...). So a third transport to haul the extra personnel would make sense.

So making the design decisions on which units that might be using...
Mechs
Aerospace Fighters
Tanks (not sure how many of these they'll have, more looking like they'd have more support vehicles)
Artillery
Infantry (they're going to be getting quite a few Battle Armored infantry units in the future).

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2023, 22:40:03 »
Fighters
Sabres (they are made just about everywhere but the FWL, and I bet there are "shady tree" operations there upkeeping them)
Stingray
Thunderbird

Mechs
Archer or Catapult
Battlemaster
Panther
Wolverine

Vehicles
any of the Scarborough Manufacturers hover vehicles family
Pikes
Manticore

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2023, 19:37:17 »
+1 for Scarborough!  :thumbsup:

GreyDeathangel

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2023, 23:48:47 »
+1 for Scarborough!  :thumbsup:

I followed that link, and I have to say that I think I spent way too much time looking at various vehicles on the list....
As a side note I'd love to run that fun design of the Sniper Maxim, supporting Maxim APCs, and Maxim BattleArmor APCs.

Fighters
Sabres (they are made just about everywhere but the FWL, and I bet there are "shady tree" operations there upkeeping them)
Stingray
Thunderbird

Will have to look on sarna to see what these ASFs add to my merc outfit.

Vehicles
any of the Scarborough Manufacturers hover vehicles family
Pikes
Manticore

Nice, maybe looking into some of these tanks to add in the force....

Was also looking at various battle armors...
IS Standard
GD Standard
GD Heavy
GD Infiltrators

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2023, 04:24:31 »
Glad you enjoyed it!  :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2023, 13:01:35 »
glad I could be of help
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

GreyDeathangel

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2023, 14:28:52 »
Thanks to all that replied,
Alright I was getting back into looking into this project design...man work and life really takes it out of yah.

I was thinking of asking you all a ALTER design that I was thinking of for this Merc unit...
Roughly the same backstory, but their 3025 era build is much, much smaller.... and here it is...

Ursa Company (3025)
Heavy Aerospace Assets:
"Stormspike Twilight" Fortress-class Dropship
  • Was thinking that they have a custom version of the Fortress dropship, maybe even one of a dozen upgraded versions that the SLDF produced. Designed to attempt to remedy the issues that the SLDF was having with the older Fortress. Using a ruleset similar to the 3058 upgrade version, but with the older version's weapon systems.
  • They will remodel the interior of the cargo bays, all three of them, to suit their needs.
  • Another upgrade idea is that they convert some of the interior to be more "homey" maybe even build a proper medical unit for their needs.
  • ANY thoughts that you folks have on how to convert this Dropship to their specs, would greatly appreciated.
Later in the timeline they'll be getting ahold of some additional assets, maybe a Seeker-class, Union-class, or even a Mule-class...

BattleMech Units
Alpha Lance
  • Awesome AWS-8Q   (this one is a question, might replace with another machine)
  • Warhammer WHM-7A   (This one is slightly downgraded, ERPPCs to standard PPCs, SPLs to Small Lasers, removal of the Artemis (or even completely remove the SRM altogether)
  • Thunderbolt TDR-5Sb   (Replace the ERPPC with standard, SPLs to Small Lasers, remove the Artemis)
  • Crusader CRD-2R   (Replace the streaks with either SRM2 or SRM4s, remove the Artemis)
Bravo Lance
  • Phoenix Hawk PXH-1
  • Firestarter FS9-H
  • Dervish DV-6M
  • Dervish DV-6M
Other Assets
Okay so the other equipment that the unit is going to be equipped with...
  • 1-2 Infantry Platoons   (for recon, spotting, security)
  • 1-2 Engineering Platoons
  • Vehicle assets would include... Transports, Maxim Hover Transports (I really like the design, and with them coming in the Mercs Kickstarter), Recovery Vehicles, Engineering Vehicles.
  • I want them to have a "lance" of artillery, either Field Artillery Sniper, or mobile Artillery combat vehicles
  • Technician staff to maintain their hardware, cooks, medics, etc... (all the technician staff are trained in the old ways of the SLDF)
  • The rest of the spaces used for extra cargo storage
  • I even thought of them taking some Industrial Mechs, for utility and scavenging

They would lose machines against the Clans, and would have to rebuild.
Thoughts on this rebuild...the Main Character of a fan faction that I was working on with these guys whom was a successor to the original founder of the unit.
  (their commander is the most capable member of the founder's family, and they pass the command to their children)
His grandmother, who is the 3025 timeline's commander would be KIA during the fighting against the clans, and he would be forced to eject from a critically damaged Warhammer. He'd be recovered by a combined force of UC's infantry and Rasalhague soldiery. After recovering from his injuries he'd have to get a new ride.... A DVS-2 Devastator, converted with Clan weapons, maybe even a clan XL engine ((C)ERPPCs, (C)Gauss, MLs)

Following Operation Bulldog/Taskforce Serpent days they'd have some Clan machines added to the unit, but this would also require them to get some new Dropships, maybe a jumpship, to increase the units size. Heck maybe they'd even capture some Clan aerospace assets.

Early Operations:
  After the fall of Amaris, and the exodus of Kerensky the 213th Royal Dragoons which had been reduced to little more than a battalion in strength. They would participate with in Comstar's Operation: Silver Shield...from this point onward the unit would work for Comstar.
As a result of multiple Succession Wars this battalion would be greatly reduced. They would spend many years raiding old SLDF sites to capture equipment for a small cut, but most of the hardware would be sent back to Comstar (for a fee).
3025-3049
  Current assignment on the boarder with the periphery states near Canopian, Taurian, FedSuns, and Capellan space. Sent to engage with pirates, and the occasional uppity homesteader whom didn't get the hint when someone representing ComStar's interest in the area. Looking for old SLDF caches.
  The OpFor during this time will be Pirates/Raiders
  The unit would be sent in to the Free Rasalhague Republic territory, by ComStar, to face off against the Clans...It wouldn't end to well for the unit. They would need to be fall back, with some Rasalhague natives and clan POWs in tow. Following a time to rest and refit, the unit would take part in the military campaign to destroy the Smoke Jaguar clan. It was during these operations the unit would capture multiple clan equipment and personnel from their second line garrisons.
  The OpFor during this time will be Ghost Bears and Smoke Jaguars
  Located in the Federated Commonwealth territories, the unit would take on a long term contract for defense, and to train a local militia unit. When hostilities breakout between Davion and Steiner loyalists the Ursa Company would join on the side of Davion.
  OpFor during this period would be the Lyran Alliance.
3100s
  They were working out of the Republic of the Sphere for a time. Commencing raids on both the clans Wolf and the Rasalhague Dominion. After the fall of the Republic they would go??????? Not sure either they stay within the old territory of the Republic, or go to the FedSuns territory to fight off against the Combine.

Alright so that was a long wright up hope that you enjoyed,
Would be glad to hear all your thoughts on this alternate version, maybe even recommendations on some of their equipment.

Thanks again,

Register