Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Rime Otter  (Read 6255 times)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
'Mech of the Week: Rime Otter
« on: 10 February 2023, 05:40:19 »
'Mech of the Week: Rime Otter

BattleTech Recognition Guide IlClan Vol 19
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rime_Otter

Okay. Let's try that again.

Ahh the Rime Otter. Yet another 50-55 ton ‘Mech. It joins the ranks of the Black Lanner, Crimson Langur, Huntsman, Nova, Omni-Corvus, Pariah. Septicemia, Stooping Hawk, Storm Crow, Stormwolf, Sun Bear, and Wendigo as Clantech OmniMech examples of the type. Surprisingly the Rasalhague Dominion doesn’t have easy access to any of them. Only the Nova and Storm Crow showi up on the Master Unit List for the Republic and Dark Age eras (Stormwolf being very late in the period). Novas are built by the Falcons, and Storm Crows are built all the way over there by the Outworlds Alliance. So, you can see why the Dominion might be interested in a big medium Omni of their own.

Enter Jötunn BattleWorx. This is a brand-new producer. We don’t have many details, but we can infer from comments made in other sources when the HPGs went down the Dominion Council dragged out a big bag of bear-kroner and started throwing money at anyone who could tie two strands of myomer together. 

Jötunn BattleWorx set up on Goito (where there was a Fire Moth factory until it got nuked in the Jihad) and started building/modifying Grizzlies with the aim of figuring out how to make use of Reinforced Structure. Given the Ghost Bears developed their own version of the technology in 3065 and hadn’t touched it since, it was about time someone did. Once Jötunn got the bugs Grizzly worked out with the Grizzly, they moved onto a ground up design ‘Mech released in 3146. The Rime Otter.

The Rime Otter is built on a modified version of the Grizzly chassis using a similar model the engine. Icesheet ferro fibrous armor is used. Presumably locally sourced from what is left of the old Fire Moth factory, and it is used on the Mastodon as well. The Comms system is standard Ghost Bear, but the GC Heimdallr System Type 1 TTS is brand new and theoretically provides the Improved Sensors quirk. Heimdall is noted for being able to see everything. The other quirks are Rugged (1), and Difficult to Maintain. This means the Rime Otter needs less maintenance, but when it does it takes longer. Effects of the Reinforced Structure or a throwback to the Grizzly’s notorious leg armor?

The sensors provide a hint at the intended role of the Rime Otter. Scouting must have been considered important. Storm Crows and Novas historically acted as heavy support for Vipers and Fire Moths. But at its size, Rime Otter must be considered and used as a line unit. It must be able to fight big ‘Mechs for a living.
Ultimately the Rime Otter runs into the limitations of its reinforced frame. It simply can’t carry a large engine and have a useful payload. As it is the 18.5 tons of pod space verges on inadequate. On the other hand, internal space is plentiful, and care was taken to leave options for Improved Jump Jets or UMUs. The MASC gives it a useful burst speed and can be combined with a Super Charger as seen with other Dominion ‘Mechs like the Executioner and Fire Moth. The Rime Otter is limited but it is flexible. Success depends heavily on choosing the right variant for the job at hand.

Currently there are five Rimer Otter variants.

The Prime is a pretty standard long-range harasser. Twin Large Pulse Lasers don’t tax its 11 double heat sinks. An Artemis V assisted LRM 10 does, but it provides useful flexibility when the lasers aren’t effective, like an opponent with Reflective Armor. While accurate and effective as support, the Prime can’t fight its way out if trapped. That said, the Rime Otter is hard to put down. It takes concentrated effort to stop the harassment. The Prime has been compared to a Mad Dog Prime, which is fair. It is probably best suited to operate with more brutal ‘Mechs like Karhus that can actually provide a killing blow.

The A variant is a very 55 ton ‘Mech with hints of Griffin, Shadow Hawk, and Wolverine. In a lot of ways, it is like a baby Summoner. Five Jump Jets, a guided LRM 15, an ER Large Laser, and a Streak SRM 6 allow the A to take on a variety of opponents, while staying mobile and hard to pin down. Indeed, the reinforced structure combined with the to-hit penalties of the Jump Jets means a Rime Otter can often afford to lose large amounts of armor and remain effective before quitting the field. The relatively high BV means it has to work to earn its keep and the lack of a killer weapon like an ERPPC means it can’t just flatten its enemies. It needs to keep moving until the Large Laser opens some gaps and the missiles can do their work. It is here that you can really start to see why Viper and Storm Crow pilots have radically different views of the Rime Otter’s performance.

The B is just weird. The eight Light Machine Guns draw the eye and suggest an anti-infantry role. But the LB 10-X and Improved Heavy Medium Lasers suggest otherwise. The Super Charger adds to the weirdness. In practice the B works well with flanking ‘Mechs like Fire Moths. It can get behind an opponent, open up the rear armor then destroy the internals with ease. Impressively the sheer toughness of the Rime Otter allows it to do this while under fire in a way a lighter ‘Mech can’t, making it unexpectedly threatening. The Notable Pilot, Star Captain Theron, is actually based upon a play test where a pair of Rime Otters spent five or six turns forcing the assault ‘Mechs into sub-optimal positions. Played right, a Rime Otter can be really hard to get rid of. Bs work well going in with the light ‘Mechs or performing the light ‘Mech role in a Star of assaults where smaller ‘Mechs just can’t handle the firepower present.

The Rime Otter C is pretty transparent. It has a classic Nova Prime arm doing 35 points of damage and the heat sinks to run it. A hatchet fills the other arm, and a Super Charger and 5 Jump Jets make the C mobile enough to apply the pain. As a result, this variant has an exorbitant Battle Value well outside its actual worth. On the other hand, it is very fun to use. Combat testing in Mega Mek with dueling Princess AIs showed the variant to be effective against Stormwolfs and Wendigos, but not quite as expected. The Reflective Armored ‘Mechs failed to hold their distance and the Rime Otter would get toe to toe. But Princess would do the math and go for the kick instead of using the hatchet. The combination of physical combat and falling over did bad things to the Reflective ‘Mechs. A human would probably maintain the distance better, but it was a bit of a revelation and a reminder just how useless hatchets are.

The D is likewise obvious. Eight Improved Jump Jets, a Light TAG and a NARC. Says it all really. The Light Active Probe gets a bonus from the Improved Sensor quirk. The SRM and ER Medium Lasers are really an afterthought. This is a scout. Pure and simple. A very very tough and mobile scout, able to get into (and out of) places a Viper wouldn’t dare. The obvious use is to pair Ds with Mastodons but there are other options. Mad Dog III Primes for example. Just because a Viking has Artemis doesn’t mean you can’t load a few tons of NARC tracking ammo for indirect fire work. There are really no costs for carrying NARC ammo, so why not use it with any naked missile launcher.

Ultimately a Rime Otter is a really flexible ‘Mech with a wide variety of variants. It can serve just as happily alongside a Fire Moth as an Executioner. It has the mobility to play with the fast ‘Mechs and toughness to play with the big ‘Mechs. The Rime Otter lacks firepower so it can easily get into situations where it becomes a punching bag unless it has an escape route. The reinforced structure doesn’t translate into raw survivability like the Mastodon. Ultimately it is comparable to a 70 ton ‘Mech. What is does provide is second chances. You can hang around that extra turn or two before something truly catastrophic happens. Consider this in campaign combat and withdraw and get the ‘Mech back day after day after easy repairs rather than total losses. The MASC means that Battle Value is generally high, so the Rime Otter must work to earn its keep. It should be trying to draw fire without putting itself in a situation where it can be crunched. The Rime Otter is worth the cost, but it can’t be used traditionally. It is worth noting that as a dueling platform the Rime Otter is perfectly competitive will all the powerhouse OmniMechs listed above. It is a ‘Mech that rewards consistent skillful placement.

Using the Rime Otter like a traditional big Clan medium is how they get defeated. You can’t send a Rime Otter up the center of a battlefield like a Storm Crow or Karhu and expect it to work. It is a rapier, not a hand grenade. It works by grinding its enemies down one shot at a time. So, to defeat a Rime Otter, force it into situations where it must go on point. The description of Rime Otters failing to defend Mad Dogs in the Battle History is from combat testing where it was quickly realized just what a Rime Otter can’t do. Threaten those Mad Dogs providing fire support. Bully that Fire Moth. Those ‘Mechs weather hostile attention even more poorly, so the Rime Otter must put its body on the line to protect them. Push the Rime Otter into corners so it can’t run away and keep hitting you. Give the Rime Otter time and space, it will kill you. Deny it that time and space.

So that is the Rime Otter. It hasn’t really had time yet to build a legend. It is unusual in that it chooses toughness over firepower. Much like the Nova Cat Wendigo, as a mostly Rasalhague Dominion ‘Mech it is too niche for many players to have used it yet. It sits in an odd position. It doesn’t quite do what the Storm Crow does for the Dominion, drawing fire and being scary. At least not in the same way. So, it takes some practice and time to get used to how to use a Rime Otter. Once you take that time the Rime Otter is a very effective ‘Mech. But as a community we are still learning how to use it.

For those who are interested. This is what a Umibōzu from Notable Units is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umib%C5%8Dzu

« Last Edit: 15 February 2023, 06:35:49 by Jellico »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Rime Otter
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2023, 10:41:57 »
Thank you for the write up, Jellico!

I do get what B Configuration is about, if use those light machine guns against a mech. There off chance you could get critical hit if you fly enough bullets at something. Even with a Light Machine gun unless it has Ballistic Armor, like DC has.  I think this nice medium omnimech, with some useful configurations and very tough chassis (son of Grizzly).
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2023, 11:14:18 »
Thank you for the write up, Jellico!

I do get what B Configuration is about, if use those light machine guns against a mech. There off chance you could get critical hit if you fly enough bullets at something. Even with a Light Machine gun unless it has Ballistic Armor, like DC has.  I think this nice medium omnimech, with some useful configurations and very tough chassis (son of Grizzly).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ballistic Armor still leave you with one point of damage from LMGs? It'd be Ferrolam that gets reduced to nothing.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2023, 11:16:40 »
Yeah, FL armor is the only one that can reduce damage clusters to zero.  All other types of armor can only reduce them to 1.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2023, 15:02:26 »
I like the B. Mainly because it’s a bit cheaper by not just sticking jump jets on top of [10]. Also it is pretty straight forward to figure out how to use it, doing it is another story.

I am not sure I would pair this with Vipers, the D just doesn’t do it for me, and the others can’t really keep pace in any real terms. Same deal with the fire moth, it’s too fast for them to keep pace.

I have done up a few variants of my own. An updated prime with a swap to streaks for better heat. In the Rec Guide reviews of Scotty his waxing poetic of the Cougar E made me wonder if we could make the same thing on the Rime Otter. It’s very similar but too high in BV for what you get. Which I think that is part of the deal with this mech and it’s BV.

Thanks for the article Jellico

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2023, 15:09:29 »
Icesheet ferro fibrous armor is used. Presumably locally sourced from what is left of the old Fire Moth factory, and it is used on the Mastodon as well.
That must have been a huge pile of left over Ferro. It takes over 4 1/2 Fire Moths-worth of armor to armor a Rime Otter and over 7 1/2 Fire Moths-worth of armor to armor a Mastodon.

BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2023, 16:30:01 »
That must have been a huge pile of left over Ferro. It takes over 4 1/2 Fire Moths-worth of armor to armor a Rime Otter and over 7 1/2 Fire Moths-worth of armor to armor a Mastodon.

Or the armor factory that fed the Fire Moth factory was spared the blast zone.

It seems like this has some of the same problems of podspace vs crits that the Gargoyle does, though the Garg sinks that tonnage in engine rather than the Otter's structure.  Flip side is, I am not sure how much the solutions the Garg found would carry over since it lacks the vast heat sinking ability of that large Omni.

With internal structure the way it is, I do wonder if the Rime Otter is a design that should not be using Improved Heavy Lasers more- less chance they are crit, more open crit space to use per ton of warload, and the ability to absorb the damage from a exploding Imp Heavy if it is hit.  I would have to play around with MML later, but I do wonder if it is also not a design that would benefit more from a Radical Heat Sink system to support piling on those lasers.

. . . oh, I just realized you could make a light Arcas with this design . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2023, 18:08:07 »
5/8[10] is always going to annoy me, but the rest of the package is solid.  The ability to include a Supercharger to go to 5/8[13] is useful, and while I'm not necessarily enamored with some of the configs there are distinct roles for each config to fill.  They were very obviously designed with an eye to BV second (if at all) and that makes it difficult to include in my games but not for lack of wanting to.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2023, 19:16:20 »
If you stick any sort of good weapons on the Rime Otter you are looking at a BV of 2300. You put any sort of motive enhancement on a Rime Otter you are looking at a BV of 2300. You could look at some kind of over-hot bracket firing solution but in modern designs I am not sure that they pay off.

It is trivial to outgun the B or D, but you pay for it accordingly. 

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2023, 14:34:09 »
Been using the Prime a lot to reinforce other mediums and lights. Two large pulse with the speed it has and the armor/structure is pretty good support: the LRM seems a bit superfluous but that’s just me. Tried to use the hatchet variant, and got headshot in like the third round. Want to use B variant against my Hell Horses opponent because of his penchant for using combined arms and infantry which is where I think it will shine. I think it could use a ‘one big gun’ variant or a mass LRM missile variant personally.

Edit: oh and the artwork is cool! It has a modern look with a bit of a callback to the Grizzly thrown in there.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2023, 14:45:25 by Tyler Jorgensson »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2023, 18:13:56 »
You can make it a lighter Arcas, you lose a SSRM4 and MPLS or a MPL & 3 SSRM2s.

With it being hoppy I really like that second one.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2023, 02:06:00 »
Looking at the new Grizzly this article reminded me it could have utilized the massive amounts of FF armor laying around the factory. It’s not like they are refits

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2023, 06:29:08 »
Having a little play with weapon loadouts it's a surprisingly adaptable frame, you just have to think in a more IS tech mindset, if that makes sense, you lose mass from the Reinforced IS, that an IS mech would lose due to heavier weaponry, but the ROtter doesn't lose the space from bulkier equipment.

Chefs kiss to both the designer and the artist  :thumbsup:
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2023, 07:43:45 »
Enter Jötunn BattleWorx. This is a brand-new producer. We don’t have many details, but we can infer from comments made in other sources when the HPGs went down the Dominion Council dragged out a big bag of bear-kroner and started throwing money at anyone who could tie two strands of myomer together. Based on

Ummm. Did you lose your train of thought?  ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2023, 06:44:11 »
Ummm. Did you lose your train of thought?  ;)
Fixed.

Anyway. Have a development document.

Development of the Rime Otter.

The Rime Otter started from a few threads.

First up Random Allocation Tables. Right back to RATs first introduction Clan Ghost Bear OmniMechs have been dominated by Executioners, Mad Dogs, Vipers, and Fire Moths. That is common knowledge. What is less common knowledge is there is a secondary, usually imported dominant OmniMech that is paired with the local product. Eg, Warhawk/Kingfisher, Summoner, Stormcrow/Nova, and Adders. Unlike Clan Jade Falcon or Wolf, the Bears don’t get a plethora of OmniMechs every TRO (There has been the Mastodon, Karhu, Mad Dog III, and Rime Otter since TRO3050), so it has taken a long time to source those secondaries through local production.

Now in the case of the 50/55 ton Stormcrow(the C is specifically mentioned in TRO3050)/Nova, this ‘Mech serves as a pivot between the mediums and the heavies. When rolling on RATs it acts as either the heavy support for a Viper/Fire Moth Star, or the point man with the armor to keep hostiles off your Mad Dogs. Hopefully that establishes where 50/55 ton OmniMechs sit in the Dominion touman. The Rime Otter fills a long-held goal of gaining one that is locally made.

The next thread was the tail end of the Jihad and the Bloody Tricentennial. This cost the Dominion the Viper and the Fire Moth. It left the Ghost Bear Dominion with no locally produced light or medium OmniMechs. Consider that for a moment. What are the Bear’s primary Elemental transports? Yeah, problem. Obviously, thoughts turned to how to get a replacement. Singular replacement because the Bears don’t get OmniMechs. Something between 30 and 45 tons would be able to combine the attributes of both ‘Mechs. Technology like MASC and Superchargers could be used to have a slightly slower ‘Mech which didn’t overlap with an existing Omni while still getting the desired performance.

TRO3145/50 proved frustrating as the need to bring across MechWarrior Dark Age ‘Mechs chewed up available slots. Especially when the Wulfen unwittingly usurped the properly armored Fire Moth concept. Jump forward a few years and rumors of a new TRO start floating around. Plugging the gaping hole at the bottom of the Rasalhague Dominion touman was an obvious sell. But immediately there was a problem. A requirement from on-high to use Reinforced Structure. That is a big problem for a light ‘Mech. Simply put the toughness gain at those weights isn’t enough to compensate for the loss of ground speed and weight saving endo steel. Because structure is a fixed amount you can’t fine tune it like say the armor on the Rokurokubi. Fortunately, the Battletech Kickstarter came to the rescue. The Fire Moth and Viper would live again. The greatest gaping hole was plugged. The new OmniMech could fill the next most needed hole. A locally produced big medium. (No Mastodon at this point. The big assault was the hole after that.)

While the change to a big medium was fortuitous, it was also frustrating. 50 tons was out thanks to the existence of the Stormwolf. At 55 tons a 330XL (6/9) was out because when combined with the Reinforced Structure it left too little pod space for a practical ‘Mech. This forced yet another 5/8, 55 ton ‘Mech. Nonetheless the bullet was bit and the ‘Mech began to take shape.

Retaining the original desire to mirror the performance of Fire Moths and Vipers efforts were made to make the motive systems as flexible as possible. Criticals in the torsos were kept free to mount either jump jets or improved jump jets as required. Having seen the performance boost of the MASC/SC combo on Fire Moths and Executioners and having been disappointed in how the SC equipped Karhus suffered in comparison, MASC was a requirement from the beginning. Fixed MASC was the price to pay to be able to hit the high notes. Armor was maximized as the ‘Mech would be expected to draw fire.

From the beginning all the variants were going to be slightly compromised. Each variant would show off a different mobility curve. There were even ideas for a UMU variant. More extreme and potent design choices could come later under different projects.

By now the Grizzly had been chosen as the basis for the new art. The Prime took this and ran with it despite the limited pod space. The Large Pulse Laser was a solid weapon while the LRM offered backup against Reflective Armored opponents. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) there wasn’t enough room for an auto cannon/gauss rifle, so the whole design ended up focused on accurate long-range fire. Jump jets were wanted, but couldn’t be made to fit, leaving the variant with a kind of Mad Doggy Prime feel.

The A started as a Griffin expy. The PPC was unbalancing the design, and the whole thing turned into more of a small Summoner. In testing it proved remarkably hard to pin down and kill.

The B took its inspiration from the Stormcrow C. Unfortunately, it was shown pretty quickly that you couldn’t pack all those guns into the limited space. Tweaking made it clear this would be the backstabbing variant which made the choice of heavy lasers easier to accept. A Super Charger got installed for that extra spice. Totally unaware of the machinegun-fest going on elsewhere in the RecGuides, a battery of light machineguns was installed. The intent, not so much to cause damage, but to exploit crits, so longer range was valued over damage. A long losing battle was fought to keep the MG Arrays off the ‘Mech. In the end the Arrays could be switched off in battle anyway, so they were accepted. For a 5/8 ‘Mech the B would prove remarkably adept at getting into position behind an enemy and staying there.

The D started off as a Viper Prime copy. The improved jump jets allowing it to keep up with the lighter OmniMech in tactical situations. With more pod space than the Viper it was able to invest in a full electronics suite and Streak missiles. It was an accurate, jumping, brutal killer. Then late in the game the Mastodon D happened. With NARC launchers virtually non-existent in Clan ‘Mechs the new Bear medium was the obvious candidate to carry one. So, everything was pared back, and a NARC slipped in. I don’t regret it because the NARC carrier was necessary, but I would love to see the concept returned to.

Finally, there was the C. The FRR Drakøns were always problematic in the touman because they needed their physical weapons but there were few Clan ‘Mechs that carried them. Attempts to put them on ‘Mechs like the Executioner had failed because the results were frankly garbage. So, the C went through a lot of versions as we tried to avoid anything too cheesy or ineffective or high in BV. LB20Xs, PAC8s, anything but laser spam. Ultimately, we ran out of time and gave up and the ‘Mech gained the lightweight powerhouse of a Nova Prime arm so it had useful firepower to compensate for the waste of tonnage that is a hatchet.

With the variants built, a name was chosen. Weapons and actuators were shifted around. Eg the C’s Nova arm got a hand actuator because it is literally a Nova arm. “Rime Something” had been floating around for a while looking for an animal to go with it. The end result is not great. Could have been worse.

So that is how we got the Rime Otter.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2023, 06:47:31 »
Why Rime? Its interesting choice of name.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2023, 07:12:07 »

because it then rhymes with Rotter, which your opponent might think you are when using them  :thumbsup:

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2023, 07:27:59 »
Noun. rime (countable and uncountable, plural rimes) (meteorology) Ice formed by the rapid freezing of cold water droplets of fog on to a cold surface

Check out the otter above. Basically, a different way of saying "ice". We have gone through every "bear". The ghost "death" stuff is tacky. OTOH we haven't really explored the arctic stuff yet. Remember this started as a replacement for the Fire Moth...

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2023, 07:50:52 »
That’s very interesting

I am very interested in a D that, well, isn’t what we got. I realize pairing it with the Mastodon is a niche we needed(ish). It’s too bad they aren’t scary enough to draw more firepower.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2023, 08:53:19 by Kerfuffin(925) »

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2023, 09:41:44 »
I wonder if we'll ever pick up production of the Icestorm but rename it to the Rime Storm and sell it on the open market, we could have a mono-mech Merc unit called... The Rime Storm Cowboys (dun dun), I'll issues that trial of annihilation against myself

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2023, 10:44:11 »
Unlike Clan Jade Falcon or Wolf, the Bears don’t get a plethora of OmniMechs every TRO (There has been the Mastodon, Karhu, Mad Dog III, and Rime Otter since TRO3050), so it has taken a long time to source those secondaries through local production.

Lol, what OmniMechs did the Wolves get since TRO 3050?  The Naga, Linebacker, Pouncer, & Phantom do not count b/c they came from the SBs and were just included in '55.  Sure the got 2 in TRO3145 b/c MWDA gave them just like the Bears got the Mad Dog II & III.  Both Clans filled that period with standard mechs- Bruin, Arcas, Ursus, Kuma, etc vs Pack Hunter, Arctic Wolf, Lobo, Nightwolf leaving the MWDA derivatives or IIC variants.

With that said, I like the Rime Otter but I think it is going to get better as we get more configs that push the design beyond copies of other loadouts.  Like I said, I think it makes sense for the design to use Imp Heavy Lasers because the reinforced structure decreases the negatives of the weapon.  If we get a design with RHS & Imp-HMLs it will be able to throw some damage.
Colt Ward

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2023, 11:12:12 »
Lol, what OmniMechs did the Wolves get since TRO 3050?  The Naga, Linebacker, Pouncer, & Phantom do not count b/c they came from the SBs and were just included in '55.  Sure the got 2 in TRO3145 b/c MWDA gave them just like the Bears got the Mad Dog II & III.  Both Clans filled that period with standard mechs- Bruin, Arcas, Ursus, Kuma, etc vs Pack Hunter, Arctic Wolf, Lobo, Nightwolf leaving the MWDA derivatives or IIC variants.

With that said, I like the Rime Otter but I think it is going to get better as we get more configs that push the design beyond copies of other loadouts.  Like I said, I think it makes sense for the design to use Imp Heavy Lasers because the reinforced structure decreases the negatives of the weapon.  If we get a design with RHS & Imp-HMLs it will be able to throw some damage.

Were the source books after TRO3050? Yes. I’d say they count.
Mad Dog II has never gotten a record sheet, and it’s been said it’s exactly the same as the regular Mad Dog.

Maybe we can get RHS tech from the Ravens.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2023, 11:21:15 »
WCSB & JFSB came out at the same period as TRO3050- same as Invading Clans which got the Bears the Kodiak and Grizzly.  Their inclusion was just clean up.

Radical Heat Sink tech is available to the Bears I believe . . . but as the Rime Otter was in the RecGuides it was not included.  It is one of the few failings of the RecGuide series IMO b/c the rules are not really 'new' -we get much of the same thing in the Supercharger.  It would have offered a LOT of options to make the 'flashbulb' designs more varied.
Colt Ward

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2023, 11:28:55 »
I can’t do a search on the MUL cause it sucks on phones, but the only thing with RHS is the Deimos R for us, which come from the Ravens. We haven’t had a lot of interaction with anyone, let alone the FedSuns who came up with it.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2023, 14:49:50 »
Wut?
You don't get the Mechs you got because you didn't get them in a TRO?
I guess we will ignore the Alpha Wolf, Arctic Wolf II,  Ryoken III, Sojurner, Stormwolf, Tomahawk, War Wolf, Wulfen, Woodsman. You are counting the Mad Dog II so should we count the Naga II and Tomahawk II? How about the Arctic Fox?
You can argue that the Jihad and Republic was a slow time. Fair enough. Omnis are bad for a mini game that need to sell unique mminis.But the Wolves haven't been lacking in Omnis over the years.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2023, 17:09:33 »
Check out the otter above. Basically, a different way of saying "ice". We have gone through every "bear". The ghost "death" stuff is tacky. OTOH we haven't really explored the arctic stuff yet. Remember this started as a replacement for the Fire Moth...
Thank you for clearing it up. I've not heard of Rime's definition before.   

I figured it was named after disgruntled Fire Moth MechWarrior yelling at his opponent in frustion saying, "Why I Otter kick you buttside the next time!

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2023, 17:16:13 »
Plugging the gaping hole at the bottom of the Rasalhague Dominion touman was an obvious sell. But immediately there was a problem. A requirement from on-high to use Reinforced Structure. So that is how we got the Rime Otter.

Why has reinforced structure become synonymous with the Ghost Bears? Historically the preferred fast and mobile 'Mechs for their weight class, with protection less important.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2023, 17:16:17 »
Thanks for the awesome behind the scenes look at how the mech was made!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2023, 17:31:44 »
Why has reinforced structure become synonymous with the Ghost Bears? Historically the preferred fast and mobile 'Mechs for their weight class, with protection less important.

Honestly I have no idea. CGB has a tendency to get non-flashy, left over technical developments. Eg the great CGB weapon development in Golden Century (p6) was the Small Pulse Laser. OTOH they improved wheat and asteroid mining which is the foundation of their wealth, but this is a war game.

When Tactical Operations gave intro dates for Max Tech gear into Clan service the Bears picked up Reactive Armor, Hardened Armor, and Reinforced Structure. Everyone has pretty much ignored Reinforced Structure because the improved armor seemed a better deal. Less of a weight hit and no exposed criticals. Given the splash the Mastodon made I am expecting people to go back and look at the Reinforced Hunchback and Mercury and even the Antlion and re-evaluate. It took a while for people to appreciate Hardened Armor, and even Reactive is less risky than it looks.

That said my one suspicion of the inspiration for these technologies is MechWarrior Dark Age. Dominion units had a play style of starting weak, taking damage, but slowly getting stronger. Take that for what it is worth.