Author Topic: NFL 2023-2024: Hail to the Chefs... great googly moogly  (Read 36470 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NFL 2023-2024: Hail to the Chefs... great googly moogly
« Reply #420 on: 07 December 2023, 22:26:38 »
3rd quarter, Pitt vs NE.

Are the Steelers really this bad?
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #421 on: 07 December 2023, 22:31:09 »
you've been hit by

you've been struck by

a bailey zappe three TD first half??

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #422 on: 07 December 2023, 23:20:55 »
Are the Steelers really this bad?
Yes, yes they are.  Though that call against the Pittsburgh snapper for a false start was BS and likely cost them the game.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #423 on: 07 December 2023, 23:29:12 »
LOL...  The mirth of it all!  :smilie_party_cheers:

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #424 on: 08 December 2023, 02:24:25 »
In the course of 5 days, the Steelers went from 7-4 to 7-6 with back to back matchups with 2 win teams. They could’ve, and most likely expected to, come out of this game sitting at 9-4.

The Steelers are definitely “that bad” with Trubisky in at quarterback. I had such high hopes for him when he started out with the Bears, too.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #425 on: 10 December 2023, 19:57:41 »
Toney is going to turn Mahomes into the Joker.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #426 on: 10 December 2023, 23:53:32 »
Andy Reid really needs to get with his guys about the neutral zone. First Dee Ford, now this. 😂 😂 😂

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #427 on: 10 December 2023, 23:58:01 »
Yeah, that was probably the most painful penalty I've seen in a while.  Deserved, all the same.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #428 on: 11 December 2023, 05:30:06 »
Bears.  Lions try to stand tall then those Bears knock them right down.  Last game against Chicago was bad enough that the Bears even made it close.  Then yesterday we saw them play a complete game and expose the Lions.

Now we need to know who is the real Detroit Lions.  The team who can take down the reigning champs, or the team that struggles against the woeful Bears?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #429 on: 11 December 2023, 08:30:04 »
The people getting off the Bandwagon in Detroit is very impressive.
The weird thing about the Lions is that when times sucked they always seemed to beat a much better team than them, but the teams that somehow had a worse record they would lose and badly. So now that the Lions have a positive record it will happen again.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #430 on: 11 December 2023, 13:19:41 »
After seeing it was still scoreless into the fourth,  I was really hoping Raiders-Vikings would end in a scoreless tie.
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #431 on: 11 December 2023, 15:35:04 »
Just it looked like it was headed that way

HERE COMES NICK MULLENS WITH A STEEL CHAIR

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #432 on: 11 December 2023, 15:39:52 »
The Lions have four losses. It’s not the end of the world. I see them getting at least their first playoff win in a while this season. They’re currently a 3rd seed and the only two teams that I think would be unfavorable match ups for Detroit are San Fran and Phili (and the Rams if they can fight their way into the playoffs). Granted, there’s still enough time left for them to go 0-4 over the last four games and not make the playoffs, but I don’t like to think like that.

I thought the 6-0 Chargers v New England game a week ago was a low point, but Vikes v Raiders were like “hold our beer”.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #433 on: 12 December 2023, 02:42:29 »
I don't think the Lions will miss the playoffs, either.  But their losses reveal that there is weakness in the organization that needs work if we are going to advance.  If the Bears are giving the Lions a hard time, it's a doubly bad sign.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #434 on: 12 December 2023, 02:46:11 »
The people getting off the Bandwagon in Detroit is very impressive.
The weird thing about the Lions is that when times sucked they always seemed to beat a much better team than them, but the teams that somehow had a worse record they would lose and badly. So now that the Lions have a positive record it will happen again.

People may call in and complain on sports radio shows and the like, and online too.  But next gameday, every seat at Ford Field will be filled.  TV channels will get flipped to the game, people will be working and out and about in town listening to the game through earbuds, and on their radios. 

The bandwagon will be there for people to run back to in time for the next game.

Dynodragon

• Corporal
« Reply #435 on: 12 December 2023, 02:55:54 »
I don't think the Lions will miss the playoffs, either.  But their losses reveal that there is weakness in the organization that needs work if we are going to advance.  If the Bears are giving the Lions a hard time, it's a doubly bad sign.

I think the Bears are a bad team but without 2 meltdowns against the Bronco's and Lions and they are challenging for NFC North title and wild card slot, I'm not sure whether that is scary or hilarious.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #436 on: 12 December 2023, 09:38:21 »
Yeah, that was probably the most painful penalty I've seen in a while.  Deserved, all the same.

I've been baffled for two days now by the reaction from Chiefs fans about that whole thing. He's half a yard offsides- blocking the sideline official's view of the ball, even!- and the flag was thrown before the play started coming together into the spectacle it turned out to be.

Taking off the Broncos fandom hat for a moment, that was a ridiculous play. It was amazing. Highlight reel stuff for YEARS. And it doesn't count. And that SUCKS, because it really was a unique and amazing feat. But if we're saying that rules shouldn't count if they negate a play because that was a sick play, bro, well then what the hell are we even doing here? It wasn't a toe out of place, we're not micromanaging this like we would a foot along the sidelines for a catch, he's half a yard ahead of everyone. (Bonus, it was an illegal formation to boot!)

The refs made the right call. Want to blame someone? Talk to Toney, because it's not the first time he's directly cost the Chiefs a game this season- remember the Lions game in Week 1?

Mahomes can throw tantrums, Reid can grouse about the state of the game, but those are the rules. If it had been Buffalo making an astounding play that got called back, I suspect Reid wouldn't be too vocal about that 'state of the game' nonsense.

...Now, fan hat back on, can you believe that as a result of all this, the god-awful Broncos offense is now a game out of the division lead? Because that defies belief. I doubt that goes anywhere- they have a tough one Saturday against what I expect will be a pissed-off Lions team, then three winnable games, while KC has a tough schedule, but let's be real here. Still though, for it being mid-December and Denver is a game back, despite that awful start, despite an offense best described as 'troubled'... flabbergasted.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #437 on: 12 December 2023, 10:47:14 »
It is the year of pure chaos.  And I'm here for all of it.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #438 on: 12 December 2023, 10:47:52 »
The Dolphins get two gift touchdowns in the final minutes, and still lose.   :smilie_confused_dontknow:
I have spoken.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #439 on: 12 December 2023, 12:05:24 »
It is the year of pure chaos.  And I'm here for all of it.

Pure Chaos, like the fact that Joe Flacco has the chance to run the table with Cleveland, lead them to their first franchise Super Bowl win, and finally put a definitive answer to that old “is Joe Flacco an ELITE quarterback?” question. That’d be some chaos, 😂

More Chaos: the Giants have 5 wins. When did that happen?

More: New England is eliminated from playoff contention….and the Jets are still alive?!?  Even as a Pats fan, I think this is funny.

Miami is a paper Tiger. Their bandwagon is funner/sexier than Detroit, though, so folks stay on longer. There’s a good chance that week 17 matchup with Buffalo will be a winner wins the division game, and the loser ends up in wildcard or missing the playoffs.

Re: Denver. It’s been noticed. They’ve been grinding along and doing what they need to do to get wins. The Chiefs have a little bit easier last few games, at least to the eyeball test, but it’s still be interesting to watch how Denver has changed themselves around this season. In the pure chaos vein though, Id love to see them come back and usurp the division from KC. 😂

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #440 on: 12 December 2023, 17:18:28 »
the vikings, giants, and jets winning too many games

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #441 on: 12 December 2023, 19:19:29 »
the vikings, giants, and jets winning too many games

But not the Commanders.  Mediocrity ends in failure with four games to go.
It was amazing. Highlight reel stuff for YEARS. And it doesn't count. And that SUCKS, because it really was a unique and amazing feat.
As a football fan you hit the nail on the head with this part.  I like that Mahomes took ownership today, at least per the Washington Post, and said his rant was a bad look.  But the technical question I have and still don't understand:  why wasn't the play blown dead on the flag?  It happens on false starts.  There is no reason to run the play as it was illegal from the get-go.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #442 on: 12 December 2023, 22:23:01 »
same case with illegal formation or illegal shift. should they all be dead ball fouls? maybe?

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #443 on: 12 December 2023, 22:58:18 »
But not the Commanders.  Mediocrity ends in failure with four games to go. As a football fan you hit the nail on the head with this part.  I like that Mahomes took ownership today, at least per the Washington Post, and said his rant was a bad look.  But the technical question I have and still don't understand:  why wasn't the play blown dead on the flag?  It happens on false starts.  There is no reason to run the play as it was illegal from the get-go.

Not directly quoting from the rule book, but it’s not a penalty until the ball is actually snapped; the player has the chance to get back onside/ reset himself until the ball is snapped (example; had he gone into motion across the formation and reset onside, the fact that he was initially line up offside wouldn’t have mattered). The call is “offside” which means the player was lined up in the neutral zone AT the snap. As opposed to “false start” where the player moves or in someway simulates the snapping of the ball prior to the snap. That would be blown dead, while the “offside” penalty is called “live”, I.e, the play continues. Watching that live, the flag flew up into the screen as Mahomes was ending his drop back, so the ref pretty much threw it on the snap. Mahomes is acting like this never gets called and while it’s not common, it does get called. He did the right thing today and walked it back a bit, and I get his frustration with his teams situation. He really did Toney a favor by acting like he did though. The focus has been more about Mahomes, Reid, and the refs than Toney. I doubt that was planned, but it seems like it worked.

I also can’t believe how overhyped everyone is about the play itself. It was a lateral for a touchdown for a fourth quarter lead change in a regular season game. It wouldn't have necessarily even resulted in a walk off win; Buffalo had a minute and I think three timeouts left. Cool, yes. Exciting, yes. Momentum changing, possibly, we’ll never know since it didn’t happen. But I heard someone on one of the sports shows talking about how “…this wasn’t just a lateral, underhand, but a true backward pass by Kelce…” like Kelce just simultaneously invented the wheel and sliced bread. It wasn’t the Miracle in Miami, or (sorry in advance Buffalo fans) the Music City Miracle (which, to the point about the talking head raving about Kelce, also involved a “backward pass”).

With all that said, this could be just what the Chiefs need to galvanize them for the playoff push here and to get on track.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #444 on: 13 December 2023, 03:08:17 »
With all that said, this could be just what the Chiefs need to galvanize them for the playoff push here and to get on track.
Here's hoping!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #445 on: 13 December 2023, 10:10:03 »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #446 on: 13 December 2023, 10:28:02 »
bill as a coach is hall of fame. his defensive schemes are legendary. bill the gm has been Very Bad. if he gets fired, blame gm bill.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #447 on: 13 December 2023, 10:47:26 »
Ruh-roh, raggy... 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bill-belichick-fired-rumors-patriots-colts/d7d8e0c4133f7eb92715a3bf

Is Belichick just Wayne Fontes with a HoF QB?

Oh man, the Sporting News. I remember when I used to have a subscription to that.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #448 on: 13 December 2023, 10:50:10 »
Sneaky NFL, looking for a way to play a regular season game in the spring....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #449 on: 13 December 2023, 10:55:55 »
Oh man, the Sporting News. I remember when I used to have a subscription to that.

i used to buy their fantasy football guide at the grocery store